How long should you wait to have sex after giving birth?

I was wondering how long after giving birth you waited to have sex? In my country, they usually say six weeks, but I have also heard it’s wherever you feel ready? I’m planning on waiting the six weeks just want to hear other mama’s experience

4 Likes

6 weeks bcuz it can cause an infection

4 Likes

Wait 6 weeks. Even if you feel better it’s best to wait until your 6 week check up and dr clears that you are fully healed. Otherwise you are putting yourself at serious risk of infections.

5 Likes

I had sex 2 weeks after my c section

4 Likes

6 weeks. There’s a plate-sized wound inside of you that needs to heal.

5 Likes

6weeks cause your uterus is still open and dont need a infection

3 Likes

6weeks minimum. I tried earlier and wish I hadn’t.

1 Like

From somebody who’s children are now gonna be 10 months apart. Wait the 6 weeks and use protection you are extremely fertile after a baby

2 Likes

After you give birth you have a plate size wound inside where the placenta used to be. Having sex or using tampons prior to it fully healing can result in serious infections.
The 6 week recommendation is to allow your body to fully heal so you’re not at risk for infection.

8 Likes

It’s definitely six weeks. Not when you think you are ready. Your body is not ready before six weeks. You have a huge risk of infection and getting pregnant. Your body needs time to heal.

4 Likes

My doctor told me 4 weeks, had my appt at 4 weeks and everything, I didn’t tear or have any significant damage after birth is the only thing I can think of as to why. My first two were both 6 weeks.

6 weeks. You’ve got a wound the size of a dinner plate up in there from where the placenta was which can get infected and needs at least 6 weeks to heal

3 Likes

I waited 4 weeks after my c section. I felt okay enough to try, so we did lol

Six weeks. after your follow up OBGYN appt

2 Likes

I only made it 15-20 days after birth everytime lol :joy: but my doctor let me work 17 days later and I got my iud in 3 weeks later each time. So idk

For my first, i was advised minimum 6 weeks. At the 6 weeks check up theyll also be able to tell you if its now safe or if they feel you need to wait longer for any healing etc purposes if need be. Sometimes it can be longer than 6 weeks but deffinately safest to wait and go to your checkup and be cleared from them to avoid any risk etc.

1 Like

i definitely needed the 6 weeks and longer lol i was so nervous

6 weeks both time. I wanted to much earlier but I also gave my body a chance to heal. Also didn’t want to end up pregnant again lol.

6 weeks. Just wait.

You have an open wound inside of you that takes a long time to heal. The 6 weeks is given to make sure it’s gone. Wait until you get the okay from your doctor.

It was torture for me to wait. But the risk is not worth the reward.

2 Likes

With my first…4 weeks…with second…2 weeks. Healed faster after first

3 Likes

They say 6 weeks because your body needs to heal. Listen to their advice.

2 Likes

I waited 6 months. I was terrified of getting pregnant again …want doing that birthing thing any time soon again

6 weeks. You are SUPER fertile during that time plus your body is healing more than you think. It could be painful to try earlier plus you risk having Irish twins lol

2 Likes

I waited like 12weeks I was terrified to ever get pregnant again so best way to not get pregnant was never to have sex :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s recommended six weeks so you don’t hemorrhage and die. I waited two months and I still didn’t feel ready.

1 Like

However long your doctor told you too. I’d listen because it’s not just because it could hurt. You could get an infection

Please wait until your obstetrician clears you. I was cleared at 6 weeks, which is typical.

1 Like

Not until your check up

Just be very careful I went for my 6 weeks checkup and was pregnant again seems you are very very fertile those 6 weeks after giving birth

1 Like

6 weeks, but if you do sooner use a condom for sure. You can get pregnant very easily.

1 Like

Six weeks minimum, your insides are all sorts of messed up until then

6wks to 8was depends on kind of delivery

It’s better to wait 6 weeks to avoid the risk of infection. I waited 7 weeks because I tore when I had my daughter.

1 Like

6w is the recommended time. Now I have had my ob say if I’m not bleeding anymore that its ok but to use protection because you’re extremely fertile for at least the first 3 months after any birth or miscarriage. I’ve had a pp check up at 4w and was given clearance so ask your ob and you can have your pp check up before 6w.

1 Like

For my first I waited 3 months, my second 8 weeks, my third only 3 weeks because I felt fine and I wasn’t bleeding

When ever YOU are ready!!!

3 Likes

I waited 3. Big mistake. Had to start healing process over again bc my bfs an asshole

Ok I heard 6 weeks because the cervix is still open and you can get a nasty infection that why u cant bath until 6 weeks because if bacteria gets in uterus it can be bad.

Listen to your doctor, not random strangers on the internet just because you don’t like what your doctor has to say.

2 Likes

I was cleared at 6 weeks

I’ll tell you what my OB told me…

“ No sex for 6 weeks… but… I know it’s hard to go that long, so if you feel ready, go for it… take it slow, nothing to extreme. You know your body better than I do. So if you feel ready go ahead. “

I just had my pp check up at 4 weeks and was told I’m good to go with sex or any other activities (exercise, etc…) that I feel comfortable/up for. I had a natural birth, no stitches or anything though.

1 Like

Ask your doctor or midwife.

6-8 weeks to give ur body to heal and definitely USE A CONDOM OR YOU’LL HAVE 2 BORN WITHIN A YEAR

2 Likes

6 to 8 weeks if you had normal delivery with no complications. A bit longer they say if you had csection. Your doctor will tell you what’s recommended.

Whenever you feel ready. You absolutely do NOT have to wait 6 weeks!!!

2 Likes

6-8 weeks. You need to let the major wound inside your body time to heal without risk of infection

3 Likes

“Sex and contraception after birth - NHS” Sex and contraception after birth - NHS

Waited 6 weeks after my first and it was still really painful. Waited 4 weeks after my second and it was great. My OB wasn’t concerned and said to listen to my body and use protection. :woman_shrugging:t3:

I had 3 c sections and all three times I waited 3 weeks. I was fine at that point.

I just had a baby 6 days ago, I feel ready. After my last baby I waited 6 days I believe.

3 Likes

I waited 3 months to have sex I just didn’t want to risk it lol

I’d recommend 6 weeks lol

They said 6 weeks but we never waited that long. Hormones were high. I was either crying while nursing or jumping my husband’s bones. There were no other activities for me the first few months after having a baby lol

1 Like

I had pretty big babies vaginally and didn’t feel ready anyway. I bled for 6 weeks or more afterwards. I think I waited 3 months & it was painful until I got stretched out a bit after being sewn up from the episiotomy, which I think many places don’t do anymore. We were both too exhausted to think of anything but sleep for a long time!

2 Likes

I was told whenever you stop bleeding then its safe to have sex again although I waited way longer because my sex drive was just non existant after the first few months :upside_down_face:

I honestly don’t understand why so many people ask this question lol. I had a really easy and natural birth with no tearing and I still didn’t want my husband to come near me for the first 3 months. I was just too exhausted and there was no way I was going to risk getting pregnant again.

7 Likes

4 weeks with my first, 3 weeks with 2 and 3

Having sex before 6 weeks increases the risk of postpartum hemorrhage or uterine infection.
I would recommend waiting 6 weeks.

7 Likes

6 weeks to be safe so no pregnancy

Oh god I had to wait months. I was terrified haha

1 Like

Most def wait the 6 weeks to make sure you are fully healed and do not get an infection!

It’s usually 6 to 8 weeks. Your body needs time to heal

I was pregnant by my six week appt. Oops. Oh and I had c section…

6 weeks is the minimum to heal completely–but don’t have intercourse until you feel ready and have been checked out by your midwife/doctor. There are other ways to enjoy each other without penis in vagina

Depends on the person and the damage done at birth. I waited about 5-6 weeks after my first. After my second I cannot remember lol :joy: and after my third I had no tears and only waited about 3-4 weeks against doctor’s recommendation bc they said bacteria can get in there and cause infections. I ended up being ok thankfully :sweat_smile:

Waited like 8 weeks. I had 2 c-sections so wanted to make sure everything was all good.

Am I the only one who always felt too horny after birth to wait long​:rofl::rofl::rofl::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

When the placenta comes out it literally leaves an open wound inside the womb… with the cervix taking 6 weeks to fully close back its just so you don’t get an infection in the womb… I would wait six weeks because I’d imagine a womb infection would be very dangerous

1 Like