How long were you with your partner before you got engaged/married?

How long were you all with your partner before you all got engaged or married? I’ve been with my boyfriend for about 6 months and him and his mom are talking about him proposing at the one year mark and then waiting another year for the actual wedding. Is that to soon I’m mixed with all different emotions about it

13 Likes

3 months. Got married 4 months later. We’ve been together 20 years!

1 Like

We’ve been together 16 years nearly 17, we got engaged after 10 years together and married after 14 :heart: xx

7 months when we got engaged. And we got married 3 days before our 3 year anniversary

We got engaged 5 months after meeting. We were married 3 years later. Been married 33 years

2 Likes

My husband proposed after 9 months, married 15 months later and been together 18 years now with 2 children. Be happy x

Together 2 months and got married. Been together 12 years

We got engaged in December, celebrated 4 years together in April and got married in August (14 years ago)
My parents got married on the 10th anniversary of the day they moved in together. Everyone moves at their own pace.

1 Like

We were together for around 2 years before he proposed a week before our daughters first birthday. Been together coming up 6 years this year and still engaged , no rush to get married :joy:

Technically we were only officially together for a couple of months (through we were friends for a little while before) before he “unofficially” proposed. Proposed shortly thereafter, then married about a year later. About to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary this April. Three kids, two moves, and career changes (resulting in our own company that we started 11 years ago).

We were together a little over a year and then got married the day after the two year mark but honestly I started asking about marriage at like 6 months. I just knew. :woman_shrugging:

Eeeeek. If it doesn’t feel right don’t do it!
We were together 5 years before engaged. Together 12 years this year still not got round to getting married​:joy::joy:

1 Like

My partner n I just celebrated 5 years together last weekend. We have a beautiful 2 year old. No ring on my finger. N completely happy. (Most days. Every good relationship has days)

Met in June 2000, engaged August 2000, married in October 2001. Still happily married. We knew it was right for us.

6 years lol. He proposed in september 2022 and we got married April 2023 at the courthouse and will have an actual wedding later. This April will be our 1 year wedding anniversary :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I was ready by month 6 to marry him though lol

Dating for 5.5 years before hand. Now engaged for 2 years. Our wedding is coming up this September. All in preference honestly. You can be engaged but don’t let anyone pressure you into doing the wedding so fast.
We’ve been together for 6/7 years now and we still find new things about each other we didn’t know.

We met in March 1982 got in engaged and married in June 1982 .Have been married for 41 years.Four children,one daughter in law two son in laws one girlfriend and8 grandchildren.:blush:

12 years, engaged Christmas day 2017, married 24th November 2018, 11 months later, been together 18 years in July, 6 years married!

My husband and got together in june of 2020 married in September of 2020 and we will be married 4 years this year! We don’t have any regrets when you know, you know!

Been with my husband 20 years (since we were 15) he proposed 3 years later and we were engaged for 7 years (still very young, needed to save, I was going to uni etc) and now we have 2 beautiful children age 7 and 1. If it feels rushed / too soon then hold off. I’d say it’s too soon to know him like really know him to be honest

Just got engaged and me and my fiance have been together for 8 years

2 Likes

You need 3 years. That’s long enough to see their true self. And long enough to decide if this something you really want

1 Like

Met and became friends in 2005. Got together in 2008. Had our son in 2019, got married in 2021 and had our daughter in 2022

1 Like

Together 21 years before we got married 3 years ago. I still freaked out about getting married and maybe we should wait :rofl:

Personal opinion: it takes over 3-4 years to get to know someone very good and what their long term intentions are. Anything under 6 months is way too early , did you have your first fight yet ? lol but everyone is different and if it feels right then go for it.

1 Like

3 months and we were long distance took was American he was Canadian . We were in love so but it only lasted 3 boys and 11,5 yrs . He was unfaithful

Knew each other one month before engaged. Married less than 5 months later

I met my husband in March, was engaged in December and had a small wedding in February. Sometimes when it feels right and you know then there is no such thing as too soon. Every relationship is different, just trust your gut and how you feel about it.

We were together just shy of 5 months before we got married. We’re about to hit 17 years.

Started going together July 69 got engaged in December 72 and married February 74 then God called him home 9/11/ 2016

Together 4 years before we got engaged, then engaged for 5 months before we got married. Still together almost 12 years.

We got engaged one year in but are still engaged 10 years later lol. Take every step at your own pace. There’s no rule book saying that you must get married X amount of days/months after engagement.
We had kids before a wedding and now we are focused on raising them over a big event. No real plans for a wedding any time soon

2 Likes

Met 1st time ever Oct 2010
Started dating June 2011
Engaged June 2012
Married Nov 2012

My hubby and I knew each other 11 months (friends) started dating got engaged in September and was married may 18th. We have been married 18 yrs in may!

That is too soon. He barely knows you at 1 year.

We got engaged after 6 months, got married 18 months later (so together 2 years at that point). In June 2024, we’ll be together for 15 years (married for 13 of them.) :heart: I should add that when he asked me to be his girlfriend, I was already saying crap like “when we get married,” (we’d been hanging out a few weeks before he asked me to be his girlfriend) so idk why he didn’t run for the hills :rofl::rofl::rofl: I guess he likes crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There is literally no “correct” time frame!! You see how everybody in these comments has a different story? You do what feels right for you love!! You can be with your partner for 10 years and still not be ready for marriage or you can be together for 4 months and be ready to get married and buy a house!!

4 Likes

16 yrs this yr and not married but 2 kids together

Were together just over 10 years before we got married, November was our 7th wedding anniversary. March will be 18 years in total

Friends for 4 years, dating for 6 months for engagement and dating for 3 years before married

I met my husband in July, we were dating August 31st, he proposed November 4th and we were married March 1st. So within 9 months of meeting we were married. We’ve been together 6.5 yrs and are having our 3rd child together (7th between the 2 of us) it’s never to soon :heart:

2 Likes

Engaged at 6 months and married 2 weeks before our one year dating anniversary. Had our daughter 2 days after our first wedding anniversary. This September will be 5 years married. We have a 3 and 2 year old 🩷💙

We got engaged 5months in to our relationship we’ve been together for 11 years this month & we have no plans of getting married anytime soon but we have 6 beautiful kiddies together

I think it really just depends on a few factors. My fiancé and I got engaged last February after being together for almost 8 years (we were teenagers we started seeing each other). We probably aren’t going to get married until end of next year or 2026 so by the time we actually tie the knot, we will be together 10/11 years

If you’re mixed up about it. Don’t say yes.
I feel like a proposal should come organically. There shouldn’t be a time line.
I got married young (20) and I don’t know if we actually spent enough time growing together first and ended up growing differently.
Today I’m with a man I absolutely adore. We’ve been together for over 2 years. We don’t live together but spend a good amount of time together. We let things happen naturally.
We may never get married, but that doesn’t matter to me as long as we have a healthy relationship.
I think sometimes people are so excited about the idea of getting married that they rush in.

3 Likes

10 years! Then got married and that ruined it within few months!

You and your boyfriend have to have a conversation about how you feel. If you see yourself marrying eventually, explain you’d like to get engaged/married eventually but right now you are comfortable how things are. If you don’t, then that’s a more difficult conversation to be had x
Ps - me and my partner have been together 5 years and not yet engaged but already know we will marry. No need to put a label on things so soon. But we moved in together after 5/6 months x

First husband married within 1 month, first child born 16 months later, 13 years together. Divorced and met my partner, 18 years in March this year, not getting married. Both in our sixties so no reason to

Why is he & his mom talking about this? That’s just weird to me that his mom would have a say in this.

There’s no set time but if you’re not comfortable don’t say yes. Tell him you need more time.

1 Like

3 weeks married 4 months, 29 years this year

His mom? Oh boy. That and time frame seems a little to soon…idk.

3 Likes

2 years and 2 months before he proposed and them we got married 3 months later :smiley:

Got engaged after 15 months, had lived together for 10. Got married another 15 months later

7 years before marriage. 12 years married.x

Met in January married in June

My husband and I got together in March 2022, got engaged April 23rd, 2022 and then got married July 15,2022. Now yes people said we was rushing etc I honestly had the anxiety and fear of being a wife only because it’s new to me but regardless I still married him and we’re going on 2 yrs this march . Y’all do what makes you happy

We got together in 2019, got married 2022

We met and married in 10 months this year we are celebrating 8 years of marriage. I say worked out that way because I kept folks out my relationship including my family! And God did the rest :wink:

My husband and I got engaged after a year of dating. We had a little over a year engagement before we get married. We have been together for 8 years now and been married for almost 6 years!

My other half asked me to marry him two months after we got back together in 2021. However we have also been best friends since we were 12 and 13. We are now 27 and 28 and plan to marry after another couple years. We’re taking our time so we can do more self healing.

I was with my first husband for a year and half before getting engaged, and we got married shortly after being together 2 years.
(He passed away in 2021 after 7 years together)
My current partner and I have been together almost 2 years and have a baby… so I’m waiting :sweat_smile::joy:(I know he bought a ring)

I met my husband Feb 15,2000 we got married May 12, 2000. We have been married going on 24 years now. When you know you know.

My husband & i got married after a month. We’ve been together almost 8 years now.

6 months. My parents were engaged at 6 months too and last 20 years before my dad died. I think you know!

My husband and I were together for 3 years had our first child together, got married 7 years together. Have been together a total of 13 years in April!

1 Like

We would have been married in under 4 months but my dad passed away so we were together 16 months when we officially got married

My husband and I had been together a little over 3 years when we got engaged and married 5 months later. Granted, I was only 17 when we first started dating. We have now been together 20 years and married 17 years in May.

Engaged at 6 months. Married at a year. Working towards our 8th wedding anniversary. Their is no correct or right time. It’s when you both feel you’re ready for the commitment

I think you know when it is right! If you are questioning it now, listen to those questions and make sure there are no questions before you make that commitment. That being said my husband and I were engaged at 6 months and married at 9. We are working on 26 years now and looking at forever. So yes it can and does last but you have to feel like it will before making that decision.

6 Likes

My husband and I were together 3 months before we married. It’s been almost 6 Years now.

My husband and I were married within 7 months, we just celebrated our 4th anniversary and are still so in love… sometimes when you know, you know…

So my wife and I were mid30s when we met. We were engaged within a month, moved in together within 3 months, and married within 10 months. We just celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary. But we knew what we wanted and didn’t want to waste time not being together. I have zero regrets. If it feels right to you, go for it. Everyone has different time lines.

1 Like

I met my husband in 1949 when I was 13 years old. We were in junior high school. We went together for 5 years when I turned 18. Two days later we were married in 1954.
We will have our 70th wedding anniversary in Nov 2024…
wonderful life together ….
LOVE IS THE ANSWER….
There have been rocks in the road… But by the grace of GOD we walked around the rocks.
:rainbow::rainbow::pray::pray::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Engaged at 15 months (hubby would have done it sooner, but got me a promise ring instead), got married 3.5 years later. Long story.

My hubby & I know of each other when I was 11. Our paths crossed again at 14, then again at 18. At 19 we started seeing each other on 2/15/99. Exclusive April of '99. We are married November 13 1999. We are still together. When you know it’s right it’s right.

When I say knew of each other. I couldn’t stand him! He is a conceited stuck up older ass! And he had absolutely no interest in me

My husband and I started dating 01/01/15 got married 08/29/15. Been married almost 9 years. So every one is different

Only you know the right time!!! It’s not his mom’s place to plan your timeline.
My husband and I were together for 5yrs before we were engaged and another 5 before we actually got married.

My husband and I were together maybe 5 months when we got engaged. We got married being together less than a year. Tomorrow is our 5 year wedding anniversary.

8 years before we got married.

Here you will only hear success stories and not the ones that didn’t work out.
People change, people change with seasons. People change with situations, life events etc. I always say to be with someone longer than a couple years before having kids, getting married etc because you just never know.

Engaged at 3 years and married at 4!

My husband asked me to marry him 3 months after we met. I said “maybe”. Three months later, we got engaged, followed by our wedding a year and a half after that. We were together for 31 years when he passed away. I was only 19, and him 20, when he popped the question. You just know when it is right.

I met my husband in Sept 2012 Nov 1 2012 we got together Nov 1 2013 we got engaged
Nov 1 2014 we got married :purple_heart::white_heart:

We were engaged in about six months, and married 5 years later

When you know, you know. My situation was different…since we were in high school lol my husband is my high school sweetheart. We started dating in 2014 at 17 years old, he gave me a promise ring in 2015, engaged in 2016, and married in 2017. Almost ten years together at the end of this year. :heart:

Met/were introduced 1/10/10 officially started dating 1/14/10, :ring: 6/14/10 & married 1/29/11. Will celebrate 14 years together in 3 days and 13 years married in 18 days. Still going as strong now as in the very beginning!

Friends for a year, dated for a year engaged for 6 months, still married for 54yrs.

met hubs. in September, engaged feb married oct lol

Engaged at 8 weeks, married at 9 months, now married 38 years with 2 kids, 5 grandchildren!!

You’ll know when the time is right. I was engaged for almost 3.5 yrs before we got married simply because we wanted to be done with school and have some more money saved up.

My marriage ended in divorce in 2019. Lol

My husband and I started talking about marriage at 4 months. We got engaged 3 weeks before our 1 year anniversary and we git married 4 days after our 2 year anniversary. We’ll celebrate 9 years of marriage in the fall.

We were young and we have a 5 year age difference. The length of a relationship shouldn’t matter if it’s the right person. Marriage itself shouldn’t change your relationship or the expectations in it. Literally nothing felt different after we got married other than it was weird getting used to a new last name. People forget that marriage itself is only a legal binding, not the definition of the love shared between two (or more?) people.

Engaged 3 mo. Married 5 mo. Later. Lasted 43 years because he Died. Don’t take Love or Life EVER for Granted. You only have ONE. :rose:

We met and got engaged within a month or so. Got married a year later and will be celebrating our 34th anniversary in May.
Also why is his Mother up in your business? Why does she have a say as to when things happen? Sounds like a Mommies boy!!!

Easy, do you love him, does he love you? Yes, then go for it

3 years to engagement… married 6 months later

6 months. Married less than a year after we met. Been together almost 19 years.

With my first I was young and naive she I was with 3 weeks before he proposed and 9 months before married. That last 13 years.
My husband and I were best friends for 5 months before dating, dated 13 months before engaged, married 4 months later and have been together a total almost 15 years now.
If you have even a slight doubt that it’s to fast/soon then talk to him and make it know you want to take things a little slower. Get engaged but set a long engagement and allow yourself time to build that relationship. Don’t rush into something you are remotely unsure about.

7 years . Been married 15 years now. You do you boo :heart: Everybody is different.

Been with my spouse for over 11 years engaged for 10. Not married yet. Due with baby 7 so been kinda busy :joy:

If him and his mom are planning this without you having the first word it’d be a no from me…