How long would you leave a 7 year old alone for?

Not at all, so much could go wrong

Neverā€¦ thatā€™s just wrong

Ummm NEVERā€¦ Itā€™s against the lawā€¦ Hellooooo

1 Like

No. I have 7 kids and my oldest is 12, he
Just started being allowed to be home alone for more than 2 minutes while I walk outside to smoke!! He has a cell phone and my neighbor is like a gma to him. His brothers dad also lives 2 minutes from my house. And I still worry! We are 10 seconds from the police station and I still freak out. I wouldnā€™t leave my 7 year old alone not
Even to step out on a call!!! He could get hurt bad or get into something.

Maybe just go outside for fresh air and right back at it

Far to young to be left alone

I wouldnā€™t leave a seven year old alone they are too young to be left alone get a sitter

1 Like

After my parents divorced '96 and my grandma (dadā€™s mom) passed '97, within a 6 month period, my dad would go to the bar after work and Iā€™d be home alone from the time I got out of school until 10 or 11 when heā€™d finally get home. I could use the stove but preferred not to since most items were frozen. My mom lived 5 miles away. I was around 8 years old. I knew phone numbers of my moms and the close neighbors if I needed them. Doors were always locked and deadbolt right after Iā€™d get home.

2 Likes

Nope nope nope nope. Theyā€™re still practically a baby. Not a chance.

3 Likes

Less than 10 minutes I think is fine. It all depends on the kid and the area you live. You (or the person youā€™re speaking on behalf of) are the only one who knows those factors so the parent is the only one that gets to make that choice. Obviously, CPS or the state can decide for you as well but as you said, there is no age laws wherever you are so they have already ruled for the parents to be able to decide.

Exactly 0 minutes. I think (at least in the US) the minimum age to be left alone is up to the state. Youngest Iā€™ve seen there is 10, most states say there is no minutes age.

Depends. Can they prepare meals, understand not to open the door if someone knocks, communicate with a mobile device, understand protocol in case of fire or emergency. I see young kids that are in other countries doing the most. Cooking over open fires and stuff. Depends on maturity.

I grew up in Korea. I was allowed to go out and play with friends, be home alone, walk to preschool and to after school programs since I was young. Probably starting at age 4.

My husband is in Japan right now, where itā€™s very common thing to see a 4-5 year olds taking the subway, going 4-5 stops to their preschools in the morning.

I would trust my 7 year old to be alone for a quick milk run here and there, but not for an hour or more. This is because I know my 7 year old. I really think it just depend on the child.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who was left alone at that age?! I cooked, cleaned, did my homework and watched telenovelas. :thinking:
I was very mature tooā€¦ I kinda had to.

5 Likes

Noooooooo. I Have an 8 year old and I never leave her aloneā€¦

Depends on the child I was 8 stayed home all day while my parents worked. Years ago I left my oldest 2 that were 7&9 home alone for 15 mins while I went to get their younger sisters from a few streets over

1 Like

There are always laws regarding kids left home alone. 7 yrs old is always no.

In this world today, I wouldnā€™t. I couldnā€™t. Not for anything more than to go mow the lawn or to maybe walk the dog but that would be it. At the age of 10, maybe long enough to go to the grocery store. This world isnā€™t what it use to be. Although it isnā€™t about living in fear that I am talking about but being their protector in this insane and unstable world we live in.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t ever. I could probably trust them but not some other people in this world.

Not at all far too young.

Just canā€™t these days.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be livid if I found out my 8yr old was left alone even othough I know she would be ok thatā€™s NOT the point no child under the age of 13 should be left alone in MY opinion obvs other parents have there opinions and reasons for doing things but me personally kids are too young under 13 and Iā€™d say 13 and above depending on personality sensible responsible enough and mature enough to be able to be left alone

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t! And nope! Way to young!

I wouldnā€™t leave a 7 year old alone

No I wouldnā€™t leave mine until they were 10 and only then it was a quick trip to gas station.

Omg 7 way too young xx

It would depend on where you live and the maturity of the child. In the city obviously not but in the country I would probably say yes if the child was closer to 10. There are a lot of factors to consider. I have a 5 yo I never leave home alone. The most he gets is tv time while I cut the grass lol

Depends on the child

1 Like

All depends on the maturity of the child, where you live and how you have brought your child up. I know I wouldnā€™t leave any of mine aged 7 or under alone however I leave my 14 Yr old to mind my 9 Yr old if I have to nip to work (I work in home care sector so pop back every hour or so) please donā€™t judge me :crazy_face:

Legally itā€™s usually around 12 years old. A 7 year old may be ā€œmatureā€ but theyā€™re still 7 and mentally can not grasp a lot of the dangers of the world.

1 Like

No not 7 year old . If she / was 12 yes be ok .

Never. Even though you a child may be mature enough to handle it but they may not be able to handle an emergency

1 Like

My 8 an 9 yr old are very responsible so depends on there maturity also they kno what they can an canā€™t do an all the rules, just aswell I taught them all this as my car broke down on the highway an they got home from School before I could get home by rd side assistance so it was lucky they new what to do plus they have mobile phones each to be able to be contacted in case of emergencies

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:hell no not mine no way!!

1 Like

No too young i would say age 11

My children know all of the rules of what to do and not do when Iā€™m not home. Just incase I am out running errands and donā€™t make it home in time to be there after school. He is also a very good kid so if I have to pop out I probably wonā€™t have a big issue if I was going to be gone for half an hour or something. Heā€™d just sit there playing video games. Luckily O have enough kids so itā€™s unlikely he would be alone, but he knows what to do if I am not home right away.

1 Like

Maturity is key here. This question can only be accurately answered based on the individual child.

5 Likes

Maturity has nothing to with it. At 7, no amount of maturity can boost that kid beyond the chronological age of 7. Kids panic under stress, and in an emergency cannot be trusted to not run and hide under a bed. That could have devastating consequences in certain situations that I wonā€™t go into detail about.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s way too young to be left alone. I have five kids, including a six-year-old, and Iā€™d never consider leaving one of my little ones alone.

No. Wayyyyyyyy. The state says 11 yrs old

I would not leave my 7 year old home aloneā€¦

I would not leave a 7 year old alone at all for any time

Even though there is no age limit written intk the law in your home state, at 7 years old, if the police were called to the home for ANY reason. You are going to jail and DCF is coming.

1 Like

I use to leave mine for about 2 hours every day. They would get off the bus and wait at home until I could get there. I had a neighbor that would go by and kinda check on them, sit in the field with them (we lived in a camper at the time). I did what I had to do to raise my kids as a single mother in rural Appalachia.

6 Likes

My daughter is 6.5, Holly hannahā€¦I couldnā€™t imagine leaving her home alone any time soon (and she is pretty mature for her age).

In my state we can at 8. At 8 I left my child for only an hour until I got home and only 2 hours tops.

Not at 7. My state has no law also. I know my parents left me at 7 (I had an older brother who was 10) but im 33 now so times have changed. I have left my almost 13yr old home.

(I use to baby sit at like 12. Which I had taken a class to do so)

I leave my 7 year old alone with older siblings but never by himself. I wonā€™t even leave my 9 year old alone yet

I wound leave a 7 year old home alone for zero seconds.

1 Like

My son will be 7 in 4 months, and there is no way in hell I would let him stay home alone.

1 Like

Absolutely too young

Iā€™d wait a couple years personally! My daughter is 6 and quite mature for her age, but I wouldnā€™t feel comfortable leaving her alone until around age 10 or 11

I started when my son was well into 8 years old, but only for small trips to the grocery as test runs for when he became older. He also got a cell phone for that reason alone. He was aware of what to do and what not to do. I was actually pretty impressed with how he did.
Our state law is 8 years old with restrictions.

I love in a state where there is no age limit and my son is 6.5 I have left him alone for no more than 20 min and the ONLY reason I do is because I have a camera in my house for that reason. I wouldnā€™t leave him for longer than 30 min tops.

1 Like

Define alone? Are we talking leaving the 7 year old alone to go mow the lawn or something where youā€™re there but not there or leaving the 7 year old alone to go to the store or something where youā€™re just not there?
Yes to the first.
No to the second.
No matter how mature a 7 year old appears to be theyā€™re still just 7.
The world has changed since most of us were children and the ā€œrulesā€ that applied 20 years ago have dramatically changed.
Even if they ā€œknowā€ what to do in an emergency it doesnā€™t mean that they could follow through in an actual emergency without guidance.
You also need to consider that 7 Year olds donā€™t necessarily follow rules when no one is around to know whether they are or are not. Not too big of a deal if they get into the cookiesā€¦but a bigger deal if they try to cook for themselves or something.

Just enough time to pop outside for a cigarette or take a shower. Thatā€™s about it. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Not at all!!! No way no how should a 7 yr old be home alone!!!

2 Likes

Alone? At 7? Is this a real question? A typo? :flushed:

3 Likes

Definitely too young.

1 Like

Sometimes if traffic is bad, my daughter (almost 8) ends up beating me home. Max a 15 min window. We live in the country and I have neighbors that watch pretty close if my car isnā€™t home yet. She video calls me until Iā€™m in the drive, locks the door, and have a ā€˜safe spotā€™ till I make it home. It isnā€™t perfect but just the way it is sometimes. She has had babysitters for the summer that she had to tend to herself (and her sibling) - so 15 mins wonā€™t be the end of the world for her. Now when my son is 7, ainā€™t no way!!!

3 Likes

Okay, at 7 I was home alone with my 8yr old brother and 3yr old brother while my mom was at work. However todayā€™s 7yr old isnā€™t the same as the 80/90s kids are coddled way more and sheltered. With that being said I wouldnā€™t leave a seven-year-old home alone in this day in age.

3 Likes

I just started leaving my 12 year old alone. And i donā€™t stay gone for long.

I wouldnā€™t. Thatā€™s way too young. Iā€™ve just allowed my 11.5 year old to be home alone in small spurts.

2 Likes

My son is 6, and I couldnā€™t imagine leaving him alone at 7. No age here either but I donā€™t trust the world and just no.

No. Iā€™ll leave her with her 14 yr old sister or my 16yr old niece. 7 is to young.

Depends on the maturity of the child. My oldest was 8, and I would leave him alone for about 20 minutes at a time to get my middle son off the bus (the bus always came at random times so I really couldnā€™t make it shorter). My middle son is 6 (almost 7) and Iā€™ll leave him alone for 5 ish minutes at a time to go take trash down to the dumpster. I really wouldnā€™t leave them alone for too long though

Why would you even ask that 7 is to young to be left alone 13 the youngest id say xx

Well my neighbor had a moldy autist child thatā€™s like 10/11 and she gets left home alone all time even after she was caught at the senior apartments next door to us trying to light it on fire but hey her mom takes care of her supposedly and she barely goes to school

There isnā€™t really a right age for all kids. It depends on the maturity level of the child, the childā€™s comfort level of being alone, and the length of time left alone. I can leave my almost 9 yr old for up to half an hour but her friend that is a week older canā€™t be trusted alone when you use the bathroom

4 Likes

Umā€¦ as long as it takes to switch a load of laundry or to take a sh*t, They are absolutely not old enough to take care of themselves

2 Likes

Too young and from a state that does have an age law on this I have seen them try to charge a friend of mine for leaving a 14-year-old home alone. Even though the age theyā€™re able to be left home alone is younger. She fought it and obviously won. But itā€™s really up to the discretion of an officer if the officers called out because of it. Once an officerā€™s involved DHR or CPS is called and then youā€™re involved with them too.

1 Like

Not long and not alone. Go hang washing out or have a shower thats about it

1 Like

I have a 7 y/o And sheā€™s very independent and very smart she knows not to get into anything but I still donā€™t leave her alone, my son watches her heā€™s 16 if I have to go anywhere, She knows to call 911 or go to a neighbor if anything happens

Thatā€™s too young. 12 years old and for short periods of time is appropriate.

Hell no! Way too young

I have a 7 year old; definitely too young to leave alone

Depends on age of maturity imo clearly I wouldnā€™t go to the store and leave a 7 year old at home but up to 20 minutes if I need a hot shower or something they usually sit on their ipads.

Not long ,maybe just a little doing chores around the houseā€¦

Heck no - come on think about it - boys are far to curious and girls wanna cook - left alone a whole bunch of bad shĀ”t can happen. What were you like at 7

Wait like leave the property alone or taking a shower still in the house alone??
7 NEVER!!! Leave the child on the property alone.

I have a 7 year old. No way in Heck would i leave him alone. Way to Young. Shout my 10 and 9 year olds are to young

I was left home alone at 6. From 4am to 2 pm. In the summer times. I would leave my daughter when she was 7 inside the house if I was doing stuff outside. Working in the barn w my father in law. I live in the country an share a yard w in laws. So if anything would happen she knows who to call or where to go. But she wasnt left home alone till she was 10. She had a phone. An i would get pizza or something. It would only b 15 mins. Ik ppl that leaves there 8 an older kids home alone. But they have the cameras all thru the house linked to their fones. It all depends on the maturity of the child really. My niece would b left home all day at the age of 8. Would walk across the street to the park. Go 3 houses down to a friends so I mean its watever. Ppl judge others so hard. Everyone has different opinions but every situation is different

2 Likes

my daughter just turned 8 in december and even though she knows how to make certain things to eat and knows how to to call me or the police, i still would never leave her alone.
she is pretty mature for only being 8 but i still feel like thats way to young!

Shoot i left mine alone @ 6 :woman_facepalming: joking! Never, ever under 11ish & depends even then on maturity.

Just for a few mins at max 20 mins

Too young. Espeically these days things arenā€™t the way they used to be

Are you going to be right back ? All day I wouldnā€™t yet.

Iā€™ve lived in the country my whole life. In 2 years when my son is 7 not even going to lie there will be time where he will be by himself. It takes 3-4 hours <8 if I do all 18 acres> to mow our yard. But I know Iā€™m within distance to get to him if he needs me, not technically leaving my home or property.

If you know your child will be just fine, maybe ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home if youā€™re going to be gone more than 15 minutes.

This day and age you have to be careful. Best of luck to you momma

2 Likes

I was told by a sheriff that depends on how mature the parent thinks their child there is no legal age to be left alone

1 Like

If itā€™s not your kid and youā€™re concerned maybe speak to the mother not run to Facebook. Chances are this mother/father knows what theyā€™re doing with their own child. None of us know the child or the situation.

1 Like

I actually got advice about this a couple of weeks ago . And itā€™s 16 Australia wide to be left alone as ex got caught with my 14 yr got a warning

Nope. I would wait till 11 or 12.

My oldest is 8 and no way in hell. She is not mentally mature enough to be left home alone

Nope I wouldnā€™t. He could be in the house and me in the yard to say get the mail but leaving my 7 yr old really alone? no way.

1 Like

my 8 and 10 year old are home alone for a couple hours after school. We live in a gated community and have friends who work from home so if the kids need something, they are right there. They are very responsible kids and know not to eat anything except yogurt (less likely to choke), they have a phone to call 911 or text me at work. (Iā€™m also only 10 minutes away) So I agree, each child is different so this isnā€™t really a situation other people can judge bc they arenā€™t my kids parent.

4 Likes

Oh my no not at 7 the earliest is 11

I left my son stay home alone at 10yrs old. Thats the law they must be 10yrs or older. 12yrs old to watch another child.

not at all and if did not long.my younger ones are 9 and 10 almost 11 and 10 i dont trust leaving alone and if did its no more than 20 minutes and i let my neighbor know if anything would happen if had too. and i dont trust kids alone especially my 10 yr old id trust my 9 yr old before 10 yr old. there left alone to my street mailbox and back.

I think it depends on the maturity level of the kid. I have a 7 year old but no way in h-e-l-l I would leave her alone!!!

Nope. Earliest Iā€™d say is maybe 11 or 12.

I just had to teach my 10 year old a couple weeks ago to not put metal in the microwave. Heā€™s mature, but I think until theyā€™re about 11-12 thereā€™s still some ā€œcommon senseā€ things they havenā€™t learned yet to be alone.

1 Like