How much screen time should kids have?

Just curious how much screen time parents give their kids and how old? :blush:

2 Likes

My daughter is six & gets 30- 1hr but must be educational.

1 Like

I don’t limit screen time, never have. I just have rules of times/situations when devices are not an option.

7 Likes

My 19 month old gets between 1-4 hours, depending on what Mommy and Daddy need to get done around the house. Lol.

1 Like

My son is 3 and the tvs are on all day but he doesn’t always watch them but they are all educational shows so we don’t mind

4 Likes

My son is almost 3 and he can have about an hour or so of screen time a day but usually it’s on the tablet playing educational games not just mindless staring. My one year old isn’t allowed any.

Mine are 7&4 and we have no limit… they don’t get home until about 330-4 then homework, dinner, bath… bedtime is 8

winter time is a tough one with us. my son is 4 and in the winter I admit he watches quite a bit of TV. but knows what hes allowed to watch and what hes not
summertime the TV is NEVER on. outside the second we’re home to the minute he goes to bed

1 Like

The t.v is on all the time. Doesn’t mean we are watching it Haha. Kids ages are 6 and 4

6 Likes

I mean my tv is always on. But they’re not really interested in it unless Sesame Street it Daniel tiger is on. We also only watch PBS. (But they’re 11 months & 2 years). They’re not allowed to play with phones or tablets. & my 2 year old turns it off to turn the radio on like 20X a day so.

2 Likes

I have a 5 month old and the TV is on 24/7 :joy:

3 Likes

I have 10 year old twin granddaughters. They get their tablets from 6pm Friday nite until 6pm Sunday nite. They get to catch up with friends. No contacting before 10am or after 10pm. They mostly do utube for cooking shows, instagram with relatives/school and church friends. I’d say an average of 3-4 hours Sat and Sun

Im a firm believer the more u restrict a child from tv or video games the more they want it… you want what u cant have… my kids can have playstation u tube and tv any time and they barely use it rather be out side

7 Likes

I have a 10yo and 2.5yo and I don’t limit screen because our life does that for us pretty much. We are pretty busy and go go go that really between school, church, activities, home life, there isn’t much time for it so on the occasional day my 10yo son wants to veg for more than an hour on his Tablet, Switch, my laptop or our TV I’m all for it.

My 2.5yo doesn’t have a limit either because minus the homework he’s on the same schedule as my 10yo so really he doesn’t have much opportunity either. They are both very active and play with toys every day despite having multiple screens to be attached to. They each have their own Tablet, they are to share the Switch and TV. But they play with toys and such and they do screen time then play or whatever then do screen time do they don’t sit and watch it for hours straight. They regulate themselves really well.

2 Likes

We don’t limit screen time. My oldest two 11 & 5 are in school during the day so I let them turn on the tv after the come home and finish their homework. My 4 year old who is not in school yet the tv is usually on all day but she only watches it on n off between playing.

1 Like

Mine (at home) are 18 (senior) and 8 I don’t limit time and never have. If we are home the tv is on and 8 yr old has an old phone hooked to Wi-Fi for you tube (toy review & nature) videos. He doesn’t just sit and watch its more for back ground noise while he plays and occasional stops to watch.

I dont limit it. My daughter is 4 with another girl due in July. If/when it starts to be a problem I’ll reconsider my decision. A lot of the time she walks away, for hours at a time, and plays with her toys. Very rarely does she spend the whole day in front of the TV.

Dont limit screen time. She 4 if her TV on in her and she play wont hardly watch it. Every now and then she dance to music on cartoons. She won’t play in her room with the TV off

9 month old. 10 minutes a day.

1 Like

I have a 13 month old, our tv is on for a good chunk of the day but she really only watches it for about 30 minutes before she gets bored & goes off to play with her toys.

Tv is on essentially all the time but they never really watch it. I have a 2 and 5 year old.

1 year old watches learning song videos no limit

I let my 9 month old watch magic school bus or something like that when I do dishes or have to clean the litter or something. But that’s like 10 minutes at a time. She usually just plays with toys with the tv in the background.

I didn’t have a limit for the longest time. Kept an eye on what they were watching on the iPad. They have lost YouTube and YouTube kids - seriously watch what your kids are watching!!! Even kids stuff is not good!!! Swearing, sexual, even suicidal things.
They only get tv, and with school it’s pretty limited.

Mine is on all day basically. Doesn’t mean it’s being watched. Kids are almost 4 and 2.

https://www.news4jax.com/tech/mom-finds-video-on-youtube-kids-giving-instructions-for-suicide?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wjxt4

Seriously pay attention to what they are watching!!!

TV is on all the time. He has plenty of portable screens as well. I don’t limit them and never have. He’s 8 now and plays sports. He has roughly 10+ hours a week of sports practices plus games and tournaments and matches and whatever else, so when he has time to enjoy electronics I let him. He would still rather ride his bike or play outside but screens are great for when we can’t be outside. He’s had a tablet since he was 2, a phone (Wi-Fi only) since be turned 7, a Nintendo DS since he was like 5, a portable DVD player for the car for long rides (we travel over 2 hours away for some tournaments), he got a chromebook at 7 for school work. I see no reason to limit screen time. He has learned so much from the games he plays and stuff he watches.

We don’t limit screen time and i regret it. It’s not really the screen time thats the problem it’s when you arent paying attention and they start watching videos of spoiled brats and imitating them.

My 10 year old only gets screen time when his behavior and grades are good. Then its limited to 2 hours a day

My 6 year old usually gets about 1 hr on weekdays when he’s winding down before bed. On weekends it varies on weather, activities planned, etc. Winter he gets more screen time but it’s usually video games with family. You can only play with toys and board games so many times as an only child lol

My 12 yr old has to get her chores and hw done b4 any tv or phone time then she gets 3 hrs at a time on weekends on her phone. My 4yr old isn’t limited she goes back n forth alot between playing and watching her phone (my kids my nonactive smartphones) they just use them for YouTube and games

My kid is almost two, we keep pandora kids songs on when we are home, but he only watches like 45 min of Mickey at night before we go read books and go to bed.

2 hour movie maybe every other day

Almost 3, our tv stays on all day but she spend maybe an hour and a half total watching it throughout the day. She gets bored and goes off to her room to play or will grab her Crayons and coloring books.

2 Likes

I put on PBS kids everyday he’s one he watches it if he wants to n when he was little baby he sat in his pack n play watched PBS kids while I cleaned it was educational n he just plays now doesn’t pay attention to the t much

Our tv is on all day for back ground noise but my kids don’t sit in front of it for more then 10 mins at a time. They are crazy and full of energy. Won’t sit still for. I thing ugh

9 year old gets 2 hours a day… It use to be more but behavior has limited it

My tv is on all day but that dont mean they are watching it and I have no cable, just DVDs. They play on their tablets often but they are nooked to the internet but I do make them go outside and play as well unless its raining or too cold or too hot then they can have their toys and stuff to stay occupied.

I don’t limit screen time

Mine when she was small an hour