How much should a 3-month-old be eating?

my son is 3 months 14 days old. He was breast feeding up till last week soley when we figured out he wasn’t going proper amount of weight so we started formuala Similac pro senestive 4 oz. We didn’t know how he’s do on it but he is eating every two hours all thru the day and night is this okay ? But he is spitting up quiet a bit and never did that breastfeed I can only breast feed now like before or after bottle my breast milk doesn’t fill him.up anymore at all and I’m freaking out wondering if I’m doing this right it’s my first child so any nice advice would be appreciated ! If need more information about post let me know in comments and I’ll do my best to explain thanks in advance

If he’s spitting up you need to change formula

1 Like

Also mom I’m pretty sure he is being over fed . A lot
Of babies are. Your breast milk should be enough. I would slowly start cutting back
On the formula . Every chance you get put him on the breast .
I had a similar experience . Now im about to hit the 1 year mark of breastfeeding .

1 Like

Spit up is normal, if he starts to act really fussy and you don’t think he is getting enough formula then try a different kind but he’ll be more likely to spit up a lot until he gets used to being on formula and spit up still happens when they get used to it. If it is bugging you take note of how many times he’s spitting up in a day on average and ask your doctor if it’s anything to be concerned about.

If he’s spitting up I would try nutramigen formula

Breastfeeding or formula feeding or Both is not wrong. Formula has come a long way and a fed baby is always the best way to go.
I would change the formula to a more sensitive brand, maybe a gentle ease and if you continue to produce breast milk continue to do so. You can do both. Nothing wrong. Especially if babies weight needs to go up. Listen to YOUR mom instincts.

2 Likes

I was never able to breastfeed because my daughter was born early and would not latch. We had some issues with spit up around 3 or 4 months and the pediatrician told us that sometimes that’s totally normal. You could always try switching brands or trying one of the gentle ease ones

I think this is a good general guideline for supplementing. This is specifically for the first few days of life but the idea is still the same. Nurse first, offer the bottle of formula after and see if he takes it. Most babies are really good at knowing when they are full and if he’s full from nursing won’t take the bottle or not much of it. If he’s not gaining weight properly then it’s important to supplement for his health. Maybe you could try pumping and mixing the breastmilk and formula in a bottle and see if he takes that better? Or maybe you need to try a different bottle? My first baby needed to try 4 kinds before Dr Browns won the battle of the bottles and she spit up way less and had less gas with them also

1 Like

If you’re intending to increase your milk supply, breastfeed first then supplement. Otherwise your supply will completely dry up

2 Likes

I had a doctor tell me my baby wasn’t gaining enough weight and then another doctor tell me she was fine . I go beyond asking questions And getting opinions when it comes to my child. But that’s just me.

1 Like

If he’s spitting up, try burping him every oz or so. If that doesn’t help, try a gentle tummy formula.
And if he’s eating all the time, use rice cereal. It won’t be thick or heavy. Just a couple teaspoons in his bottle.
Yes, I know some moms would never. Well, then they can come feed him every 2 hrs. :person_shrugging:

youre getting some terrible breastfeeding advice i would seek other advice from a breastfeeding professional

Tell his pediatrician he may need another formula

My little one was the same I started breastfeeding with her and after six weeks we stop all together my little one always spit up… I did not have enough fat in my milk so my baby was not gaining weight and would eat every 30 minutes so she would just throw up everything. Do what you and your dr. feel is the best for your little one

Let him fill on your breast milk, then supplement. Keep yourself hydrated.

Are you eating well and pumping?