How much should I feed my infant?

Did anyone follow the one ounce per hour rule with their newborns? My baby seems to not be satisfied unless they eat more…I am a FTM and am so confused

3 Likes

Feed baby until they aren’t hungry anymore. They will let you know when they are done.

9 Likes

Mom of 4 here ages 24,23,20, and 6, I’ve never heard of this. Feed your baby when they are hungry, they will stop when they are ready. If they are still hungry, feed more

4 Likes

I feed my girls whatever they want to eat. They will stop when full. My youngest is 3 weeks old and eats about 3.5-4 US oz every 3-5 hours.

3 Likes

However much they’ll drink lol
My girl was born at 37w. Sometimes she would guzzle like she’s never eaten before. Sometimes she’ll eat only a tiny bit - which I nuzzled her to get her away again but stopped if she refused.
It pretty much balances out. She also went through growth phases where she was just downing milk, and phases where she was like ‘oof no thanks, just a sip please.’

1 Like

Almost every week my kids went up an oz until 4oz, we did 4oz for a lil while. 3, 6, 9, 12 am/pm on the dot. Once they hit 6oz, they were also baby led weaning so it was bottle, lunch, smaller bottle for nap, dinner, bottle until 1 year old. Feed baby until they’re full. They’ll let ya know when they’re done.

1 Like

Feed on demand, as much as baby wants. They’ll stop when full. Also, babies cluster feed a lot.

1 Like

My baby was eating 3-4oz every 2-3hrs when she came home if that helps any!

I’ve never heard that. Ever. And I have 4 kids, teenager to toddler

I know my son was strictly on the tap, but I never heard of that rule.

Is your baby breastfed? They say on average a breastfed baby will eat 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour. Keep in mind pace feeding if you are pumping and then bottle feeding.

I have never heard that.

Feed them till they are full and feed them when they show that they are hungry. I found roughly 20-30 minutes per boob was how long it took for my kids as Newborns to feed (if you include burping, re-latching)

Depends on if you’re feeding breastmilk or formula. If you’re nursing and feeding from bottles as well, pace feed. Baby shouldn’t need to exceed 4-5oz tops ever if you pace feed. You can follow pace feeding for formula as well, but it isn’t as important since it mimicks nursing, my formula fed kiddo increased an oz or 2 each month until we hit 8oz bottles by 6-7 months.

If you’re breastfeeding, feed until full. (If you’re doing bottles with breastfeeding, you need to look into pace feeding) they typically say 1oz per hour so if she eats 3oz, she typically won’t eat again for 3 hours.

Nope fed until they weren’t hungry. When they stop sucking you know they are done

Nope. Never did with either of my kids. They were big and had big appetites. Babies will definitely let you know when they’re full and hungry.