How much should I pay my friend to babysit?

I charge 125$ a week.

It depends on your state to be 100% honest. If you live in New York it would be much higher than if you live in Kentucky for example.

In phoenix I’d charge $250 per week for a child under 1, over 1 it works drop to to $175 per week or $250 for 2 children over 1.

2 Likes

I pay 150 a week for 8 30 am to 5 pm… all I include is diapers wipes clothes blanket and cup . And that for and in home daycare /pre school my son is 2.

I watch a few little ones full time. I provide the food and beverages once they’re 1 and on solids. It varies by the area, I know California is higher, but $25/ a day would be reasonable for full time care in most areas.

Now that I’ve done it for 7 years, I charge a flat weekly fee regardless of attendance within set business hours (I’m open 8-5:30) and I get a few paid holidays.

Find out if she prefers a flat rate every week with a set schedule or amount of hours, or if she’d rather you just pay for the days you use. Paying her a flat weekly rate will ensure she has a steady, dependable income which in turn generally means you’ll have more dependable child care and a provider that’s more satisfied with her job. Paying a daily rate means you might take more days off, which means she might get some unexpected days off occasionally, but her pay is less stable so it really depends on what you’re both looking for. Also, discuss if you take vacation or she does, what happens then?

Yes, this is your friend, but you’re going to be involved in business together. Treat her with respect, be considerate of her time, pay on time, etc. Taking care of someone else’s child for 10 hours a day is a lot and it’s nice when clients are considerate of that. :blush: Handle this right and you both could have a very rewarding business relationship. If either of you don’t, you could ruin a friendship. Good luck to you!

4 Likes

I pay $30/ day per child.

I charge 125 per week per kid but I also nanny for 5 kids so it adds up

watching children is very hard you are responsible if anything happens to them outside of eating and taking care and playing with them

I run a unregistered Dayhome. I only charge 25 a day. Parents provide food and diapers. and before you all hate on me for the pricing. I only charge what people can afford.

3 Likes

How much do you think your child is worth? 35 years ago, I paid $5.00/hr/child. So 10 hr day is $50.00/day.

2 Likes

I charge the lady I babysit for 40 bucks a day for 8 hours for 5 mont old

That’s 10 hrs. What is the going rate in your area? In the Chicago area it is $10 to 20 per hr. I live in a rural area on the other side it is 8 to 15. What other duties. Laundry, clean house etc adds to the bill. Ask around.

$20 a day is a good price, ask her if that works for her.

4 Likes

Ofcourse you will supply everything
It’s your baby. $180/week

I’m a stay at home mom, with a degree.
My bestie is trying to finish her real estate license and her bachelor’s degree at the same time.
I refuse to charge her anything. Sometimes a woman just needs another womans help.
It takes a tribe.

9 Likes

I had a wonderful sitter who worked out of her home and charged $75/wk per kid. $15 a day. So I pd $150/wk for 2. she provided breakfast lunch and snacks. I would try to bring a gallon of milk a week to help, being she went through one a day with 7-9 kids. Depending on where you guys live, around $100-$120 a week is the average price here in Missouri.

I work at a day care and since you are going to be letting your child be in her care for 10 hrs a day you should pay her more than you would for 40 hrs. You have a baby so she will have to do a little more for the child then just babysit. For my friends I charged 150 when I babysat at home for the week, at my daycare its almost 400 for 40 hours. This is in Texas.

Dont pay attention to 90% of these prices. Ask your friend and tell her to be straight forward of what shes charging. You dont want conflict. I babysat a single friends daughter for years for 50 dollars a week. Is she your real friend? Is she doing it for money?

9 Likes

Is it at your house or hers? If it was hers I’d do $250 a week, if it’s at your home I’d do $350. When I nannied I charged $10-$15 an hour and for 40 hour work weeks I’d make $350-$450 depending on the family.

3 Likes

I pay my babysitter $125 a week

$150-$200 a week childcare would be $250-300 or more if u went to a sitters

The going rate around me is $10 an hour. So when my husbands friend asked I said $5 an hour. Gives me (as a SAHM) some actual spending cash and also gives them kinda a break.

I should add I only watch the baby once a week and she also supplies everything he needs.

1 Like

Mine $25 a day for dhs certified. Childcare cost vary wildly state to state though.

Is she going to be claiming the income on her taxes? Are you going to be able to claim it? What is the going rate for childcare centers where you live? That would all factor into how much I’d pay. My old sitter upped her rate to $200/wk, no taxes, I provide everything but daycares around here for toddlers average $130-$150/wk with meals/snacks included and I could claim the expense on my taxes. We went to a center obviously

1 Like

My kids are in school but if my husband and I do a date day or go out normally to a sporting event I pay my sitter a flat $100.00. My kids are 12 and 6. So no diapers, and my 12 year old doesnt need help with anything.

I would get 60$-70$ a week in my babysitting arrangements

1 Like

Depends on the state you live in, and how much you are making.

My friend gets paid $225 every 2 weeks to watch 5 yr old twin boys and everything is provided

When my son went to home daycare I pd $175 a week

Most daycares in an at home environment (depending on certifications etc.) charge 25-35 dollars a day. Keep in mind it is also different per state

No one should be paid $20 for 10 hours of work. Seriously. Talk to your friend and ask her what she had in mind. So many people here are lowballing you and, honestly, it’s embarrassing.

4 Likes

I pay 25 dollars a 8 hour day for a licenced day care provider

1 Like

30 a day I think is fair

Babysitters and Nannies here in Dallas get $15/hr. I had one for $12 but she left me to make more $. It varies a lot depending on where you live. Maybe check care.com and see what babysitters in your area are charging.

1 Like

I used to charge 10$ a kid per day when I babysat. It’s up to you what you pay. Actually sit down with her and talk about it.

I would say $25-$30 a day.

Dunno, but I know a family day care here that charges about $60 per day per child

We pay our part time nanny $20/hr in Orange County CA. That is the going rate in our area

1 Like

I pay about 600 a month for my 18 month old . My sister watches her by the grace of god. I dont trust anyone else. My daughter is hard but my sister gives birth in march so i may have to cave in and take her to daycare . It should be about 800 for her age or more a month , childcare is alot of money unfortunately

1 Like

No less than $250 a week

3 Likes

I paid 40 a day so 200 per week in long island NY and that was a good deal most daycares here are at least 350 per week

2 Likes

Infants are usually more in pay… so maybe $150 per week.
When my daughter was in daycare as an infant I paid roughly $175!

I pay $35/day. My daughter has gone there since she was 9 weeks old. We provided diapers and formulas. Sitter provides wipes, breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks.

1 Like

I pay 10$ a hour for drop in. And its about 45/50 a day. I’m in BC

25/30 bucks a day is what I charge. my friend provides most everything that’s needed but I always have extra here just incase snacks diapers wipes toys food etc. And 5$ extra a day if it ends up being over the 6/7 hour period I’m babysitting.

1 Like

I got $10/hr & she’d pay $100/day. Sit her down please.

1 Like

As a nanny I watched a 1 month old, 3 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old for $13 an hour

1 Like

Some people here really under pay their babysitters … you should be paying anywhere from 10 to 15 hourly

1 Like

Best thing to do is call a few daycares where you are and get their rates. Here, you can get daycare for an infant for about $15 a day for the full day. It’s less for potty trained kids.

I charge my friends 20$ a day but they drop off anytime between 7:30-8:30am till about 2:30-4:30 depending on days.

I pay my kids daycare $20 a day for each kid

1 Like

This thread is INSANE!!! You ladies paying pennies an hour for someone to care or your most valued possessions need to re think life. The sitter also needs to make a living! I charge at least $50/day per child. And OF COURSE PARENTS PROVIDE DIAPERS, wipes etc!!!

9 Likes

If the state pays for your babysitter, they only get a little over $2.50 a hour.

I paid my best friend, who was a stay at home mom, $60/week. She would have our son from about 1pm-8pm. We had a weird schedule though so she only had him 2 or 3 days a week. When I worked 6 days a week we went to daycare and it was $115/week. She only supplied food for him.

I receive $40/day as an occasional in home sitter. Ranging from 6-10hrs

I pay $135 a week for full time care for my 1 year old.

1 Like

I live in Connecticut and the daycare we use is $250 (that’s $125 each week) every two weeks for one infant. If you have more than one child in the program there was additional cost but not the full $250 as there is a multi child rate. However, we are military and that is the rate the CDC charges for our youngest. After my other kids turned 3 ~ they went to headstart for the full day and I paid $80 a week. (That was a sliding scale and I was a single mom at the time) when I called around to other daycares just in case the CDC had no openings, I was quoted closer to 400 every two weeks. But CT is hella expensive our minimum wage is 10.10.

Some of yall are crazy… daycare here is like $25 a day. No way would I ever pay someone $20 an hour :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

Wow no wonder I babysit for free

If your paying 100 a day that’s 500. a week. Is it worth working?? 25. a day sounds reasonable. Askthe person what she thinks is fair

3 Likes

At least minimum wage.

3 Likes

125$ a week is reasonable!

1 Like

I paid 3$/hr for my friend to watch my daughter as an infant. So roughly 25$/day. She gave me a break though and only charged me 500$/mo. Daycare in WI is 175/wk. It’s expensive. The babysitters around here ask for 15$/hr though few get paid that.

Depends on where you live.

I ‘d called daycare’s in your area than scale it from there

I sometimes babysit for my friend and she pays me $20 a day and I watch him from 8am-6pm at her house and they provide me with snacks n food if I get hungry

2 Likes

So, you’re supposed to be providing everything your child needs, that’s a given, not even sure why anyone would think differently. Anyhoo, the standard low rate is $10 per hour, per child, under 10 yrs of age, and it lessens/increases depending on the sitter, the drive time, and the actual “baby sitting” they need to do, that’s IF they are your friend, for most reputable, CPR trained professional sitters, it can be much higher.

2 Likes

I really love how any mother can even put a price on the care she puts her child in, you should have at least 10 references, all non family, a full background check submitted to you, an interview, and at least two full weekends of them coming over and interacting with you and your child while you are there, of course paid (but not much) so you can get house work, yard work, light shopping or a nap, just to see what they are like and how your child reacts to them, these low ball prices kill me, there should be no amount to much to pay for a safe, good babysitter these days, do you guys even watch the news and social media?!?! It’s scary out there! Watch who you’re paying $3 bucks an hour to, who would even work for that, except your best friend or family member?!?

3 Likes

Is your childs care really only worth minimum wage to you? A child under 5 needs constant care and attention, and while it lessens for children from 5 to 10 yrs of age they also require a lot of attention and play time, meals prepared, someone to pick up after them, ect. a babysitter does a lot and if you want them to care for your child like you would, you need to pay them like your child is the most important thing in the world to you, only best friends, family and people who probably aren’t the best will work for the rates you guys are saying is all you should pay… I am so glad my children have me as their mother!! Even more now since reading these horrible comments! Wow!

3 Likes

We’re in Cincy, OH and our sitter charges $150 a week. Daycares around here charge $240-$280 a week.

I paid 20-25 a day depending on arrangements and food.

$100 a week. Or $20-$25 a day.

Man. Some of y’all are a bunch of assholes. I figured this page was about women supporting women? I guess it’s too hard

Some of y’all saying $10, $20 and 50 and hour, what if the mom only makes 10, 15 or 20 her self… can’t pay someone more than you yourself makes! I question if some of those responding has kids and if they have ever had to pay for childcare. Plus states pay rates/cost of living differs.

10 Likes

Check with the local daycare prices and get an idea.

4 Likes

I paid $25 a day. A friend of mine was kind enough to watch him for me while I worked m.

I’ve got a friend that will watch my little girl for $30/day or if she watches her for a whole week she reduces it to $20/day

When I worked at a daycare I made 9.50 an hour, so maybe see what they pay day care workers in your area? Also I had to take care of kids at a 1 to 6 ratio…

Talk to your friend. All these $ amounts given mean nothing. Talk to your friend and see what she needs, wants, will be happy with, and work it out with her. :grinning:

1 Like

In silicon valley (Bay area in CA) I watched my friends kids $25-30 per kid per day. They provided diaper, wipes, food/ formula, anything the child needed. They would drop off sometimes at 6am not get picked up 9pm. I would drop off/pick up at school, sports, dr appt, ect. I helped potty trained & even keep the kids if they were sick (lets face it by the time 1 showed symptoms they were all already contaminated) & parents have to work. I had the freedom to go where I needed /wanted to go. It afforded me to be able to be a stay home mom.

I will say this, whatever you pay her make sure you were honest with her. Don’t tell her you have to work late and go get your nails/ hair done or dinner with the friend. She will find out and you will lose your affordable sitter.

1 Like

50.00 a day it’s not easy babysitting a 9 month old lots of attention for a good babysitter believe me it’s worth it if you chose to work

1 Like

You find out what daycare providers in your area charge, pay her that and be thankful that your child is being well taken care of.
Be sure to give her a nice Christmas gift, a gift on her birthday, too. She’s very important.

4 Likes

When my son was in daycare when he was little it was $200 a week for full time and like $175 a week for part time. Mind you that was back in around 2010-2012. Depends what is daycare/childcare going for around you, but usually you should pay more for infants because they need a lot more care then toddlers/older kids.

1 Like

around $200/wk seems fair. you’re looking at 47 hours a week and at $5.00 an hour, that equals to $235.00. buy it’s really whatever you can afford/feel comfortable with

I would say $20-$30/day!!

Wow… don’t know where you live…but 47 hours a week for $100 is just over $2.oo a hour…
I would definitely find out what local rates are and discuss with friend ahead of time with what you are earning and can afford

1 Like

This is something that should be discussed between you and her, not on social media.

1 Like

I am a daycare provider and generally if you are not licensed it would be about $450-$500 monthly. At least. That’s for an infant in my area (if you are not licensed). So about $25 a day. But I would also pay to get her pediatric CPR training if she isn’t already trained. 9months old is such a tender age with food.

3 Likes

I pay $37 for a full day. $27 for 5 hours. That’s for a potty trained toddler. I think infants are more and you still need to supply all formula, diapers, and wipes.

2 Likes

Around where I live daycare is about $40 for a full day, that’s 6 hours or more

1 Like

I pay $125 a week for an in home licensed daycare and have been using her for years and she’s watched most my friends when they were young and their babies too. You have to remember it may be $20 to $25 a day but they usually have 10 or more kids. So you do the math?? Most people can’t afford hourly and to me that’s insane especially for a single parent.

3 Likes

In my Rea in Tn. They get $165 a week for 8 hrs , 40 hr week. You supply the diapers and milk

I’d pay good if someone was good to my kids cause it’s hard work and they need to pay their bills gotta watch some daycares they abuse your kid get a back ground ck

1 Like

I guess it depends. If you’re a single mom and only income and she is really saying pay what you can and u know u me hardly nothing then look at your budget and offer what you can. If one week you can give a bit more then do that. If your a two income family and have money to spend I would just pay about 50 more a week then the going rate at a daycare in the area. They charge less because it’s a ton of kids. Yours will be one on one (assuming) with your friend which is better imo so should cost more. Also dont ever stiff her or say you have to wait bc something else came up. Business and friends is risky unless you treat it like it’s just as important as any other of your Bills.

You ignorant bitch it’s a friend do Right buy her what ever you supply it’s you fucking kid

I get $140.00 a week but some get $150.00 for infants.

it would depend on what you can honestly pay… but about 25 a day

40 hours a week is not a babysitter, that’s a nanny. Nannies get paid way more than babysitters. All you suggesting to go based on local centers in the area seem to be forgetting that centers have many children and can afford lower costs per week. This will now become this woman’s full time job, she deserves a living wage.

2 Likes

I’m from Texas. Daycare is $100.00 a week for that age

200 a week. I’m a child care provider and any child under the age of 18 months is 200 weekly for full time care. Understanding she isn’t a provider I would say to be fair, nothing under 150.00 weekly. She’s caring for your prize possession

Those are long hours. $175 per week. she’s giving up alot to be responsible with your baby so you can work.