How often should you bathe a newborn?

How often should you bath a newborn? My baby is 2 weeks today and I have bathed him once last week when his stub fell off and then once today. Is that to much?

28 Likes

I did every 3 days. But that’s me. What you think is best.

1 Like

My doc told my every other day

2 Likes

I did every day. No problems here. They both perfectly fine :kissing_closed_eyes: so do what’s best for you
. Enjoy your lil one :sunflower:

3 Likes

I bathed both my kids every day.

1 Like

I always did once or twice a week. Extras if they spit up all over themselves or pooped up their backs.

2 Likes

Johnson and Johnson has these head to toe body wipes if you want to use one of them in between baths.

2 Likes

I bathed mine every day

I bathe mine everyday because she is sensitive and has eczema

Before the button fell off they got rag baths every other day. Once those fell off they got showers (yes showers) everyday

EVERYDAY after the stub falls off :woman_facepalming:t5:

Babies don’t produce oil and sweat like we do. Once a week or like if they spit up on themeleves real bad.

2 Likes

I washed the messier bits with a washcloth and water multiple times a day. Bum, face, neck, hands, armpits etc. I gave them a full on bath with soap and shampoo about once every 4-6 days.

2 Likes

1-2 times a wk. Skins to delicate for every day

2 Likes

I bathed mine everyday

2 Likes

2 times a week, sponge bathes other days

1 Like

Every other day in colder months every day in warmer months

I bathed mine every 2-3 days. My kids had too much hair and it would get greasy from us touching it.

5 Likes

Every other day. Yes their skin is sensitive but it’s no reason to not clean the sweat and dirt and general every day nasty off them. I bathed then used a corn starch powder on their creases, then baby oil everywhere, and had this lavender baby oil gel that I rubbed into their hair. They slept like a dream afterwards and never got that weird head thing from laying on it to much

3 Likes

Twice a week is good with a wipe down before bed
 they don’t need to bath every day

8 Likes

Once a week and a wipe down if needed

1 Like

No they say you can overwash your baby. My doctor said 3 times a week and wet wipe baths the rest of the time just keep up on the neck

1 Like

I bathed mine every day and now he 16 months old and gets a bath morning and night

I chose to bath my son every other day and sometimes once every 3 days with lots of lotion afterwards to rehydrate his sensitive skin. He was a messy eater at times.

I give my daughter a bath every night, but I do not wash her hair every night. I personally think she sleeps better when she feels clean. I know I do :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Once a week unless they get messy.

Don’t over bathe them. My girl is 9 weeks and I bathe her once every week, give or take some days. A little more if there’s a lot of spit up or poop. I will also wipe her down with a wipe every couple days in between shower days

1 Like

I didn’t give my baby his firta bath for 5 days and every 3 or 4 days now

I did once a week until he was 3 months. However, we rarely left the house. If he was in daycare or around other people/kids, I’d say more often

1 Like

I was told by her pediatrician and hospital doctors not to bathe them too much. So we did about once a week.

1 Like

I bathed my babies every night, the thought of them in a diaper all day regardless how clean I got them at each changing I felt they needed bathing plus it also helped them to sleep better so it was a win/win for me.

4 Likes

Their skin get dry easily so it’s not recommended to bathe too often but I bathe my little one every other night but I just wash her when she needs it. Just be sure to use a good lotion and moisturize!

1 Like

I did every other day with both my boys. Whatever you feel is needed.

My two toddlers 2.5 years and 17 months are bathed every other day now. If they don’t get dirty they don’t need it really, just dries there skin out that bit more. I did twice weekly at the start if I remember correctly. X

1 Like

Not everyday as you wash away the skins natural oils and dry out the skin!

2 Likes

Just rub a little powder under those neck rolls (just make sure to sprinkle it on your fingers and not directly on the neck so it doesn’t go everywhere and end up in their lungs.) Cornstarch, not talc.

Every 3 days. My daughter is almost a month old and seems to be doing very well with it.

1 Like

Once or twice a week you’ll dry out their skin if you bathe them too much

1 Like

I am horrified but most of these answers

5 Likes

I always bathed my son every other day or every 2 days.

I did every other day, still do. Unless needed otherwise.

Once or twice a week is fine. They aren’t supposed to have that many baths.

1 Like

As a newborn I did once a week, around 3mo I switched to twice a week, and now at 7mo every other night

1 Like

Every 3 days until they’re old enough to get into stuff and messy. Then once every day or 2.

A baby needs a bath every day

3 Likes

I bathed my new borns once or twice a week. Twice if they had a blow out or if they were restless. My little ones LOVED baths.

Once their cord fell off, I bathed mine at least every other day, and when they needed it again.

I Do once a week or he gets really dry

1 Like

I usually do every other day.

I bathed my twins everyday and my one year old best part of the day

1 Like

Every other day but make sure you lotion after bath you can even lotion while wet then dry.:heart::heart::pray:

I always did every other day with my kids. And still do. They are now 3 and 1. In summer time I do every day.

I do every other day. In the summer I’ll do everyday

I did sponge baths once a day for the first 2 weeks and then moved them to the tub/sink 2x a week.

I do my babies every other day and I have a 2.5 year old and a 1 month old

I did every other day unless they spit up all over themselves or blew through a diaper. On off days I cleaned up the diaper area really well with a wet wash cloth.

I was told with every baby I had no more then 3 a week unless there was a reason (poop or pee) it will dry their skin out

1 Like

Bath and shampoo hair everyday! This will prevent cradle cap and a soured smelling baby!

Bathing a newborn everyday is no good for their skin. It Will dry out and take natural oils they have. Plus not really any need to because they dont get dirty. Now my 2.5 year old I give him a bath every other day, unless he goes outside, then its every day. Toddlers are dirty creatures haha

6 Likes

Once a week maybe twice. If you bathe ur baby too much it will dry out their skin . You gotta give ur baby’s skin and body time to create oil for its skin. Constantly bathing will make them very dry. Ask your doctor about lotion. Our doctor said no lotion for awhile. Lotion will make the baby’s body depend on it to stay moist and again it won’t create the natural oil itself. No need to wash a baby often anyways. They aren’t rolling in dirt.

2 Likes

I was told by my doctor that bathing my son every day would dry him out. So I bathe him no more than 3 times a week (unless he makes a mess, yknow?) I’ve done this since his stub fell off and his skin is never dry and he’s never smelly lol. I have a chunkier baby so I do use a rag and wipe his face and neck every day though

1 Like

My pediatrician recommended you only bathe your babies when they start to smell otherwise you’ll dry their skin out. You can wipe down their underarms and private areas more than bathe.

Once a week till 6 weeks then twice a week. You shouldn’t bathe too much can cause skin irritation

5 Likes

You should bath infants 2 to 3 times a week to get urine and feces off good plus under neck to clean breast or formula milk.

No more than 3x weekly. It’s good for their immune system and won’t dry out their precious skin.

Once a week or twice max.

My baby is 4 months old and I bathe her 3-4 tibes a week.

No more than 3x per week. You can always use a wipe.

I do every 2-3 days, depends on how stinky she gets :joy:

I did baths once every two weeks for my new born, she hated it so I didn’t want the stress

2 Likes

Once a week should be fine. Assuming no blowouts happen that require an additional bath. If you bathe them to much it dries out the skin.

3 Likes

Unless absolute nessicafy I only bathed my kids as newborns once aweek. Just wiped down around their neck and private areas to keep them freshened up. It’s really bad for their skin to bathe them too much

My first born was allergic to our water so I gave him one once a week in purified water. My second born I did about two times a week

I bathe my daughter every 2 days or sooner if she spits up or poo comes out of her diaper and gets on her. Just use oil and lots of lotion so the skin doesn’t dry out

1 Like

I bathe my baby pretty much every day. Sometimes every other day. She was a preemie and had a 36 day stay in the NICU where they did it. Her pediatrician said I could do it everyday too. I think just do what you’re comfortable with. I personally love the “baby smell” after a bath. :blush:

8 Likes

Every second day or every day if possible

1 Like

I bathed mine every other day

My doc told me ever 3 to 5 days and of course if there’s a blow out or something. Wipe down and lotion every day.

1 Like

I made it an evening bath, part of night time ritual. All of the poops and back blow outs require a bath. The warm water gets baby sleepy. You dont need soap all the time.

2 Likes

I bathed mine every day

3 Likes

I asked the nicu when my daughter was born. And they told me every other day was good :blush:

I rember the routine of morning bath in pure soap then a feed then they would sleep (mostly)whilst you washed their nappies that had been soaking overnight then after washing maybe a cuppa before bubs woke up for another feed. Then mid afternoon a walk in the pram.This was probably the routine unless it was shopping day when you would either catch the bus or walk at least 1/2 hour to the shops.

Advancing the nationality to. I want to be able too much if they have the oils in their hair and and body you don’t want to dry them out

I bathed mine everyday they are now 7 and 13 and still bathe everyday on occasion skipping a day.

1 Like

Only two days a week and then when they are 6 months old you can do 4 days a week if they spit baby food or spit up on themselves

Not enough.
They want to feel good too

Once a week is ok! That’s actually what’s recommended by pediatricians and dermatologists. Even for older kids, twice a week.

1 Like

When in the NICU they told us to bathe our baby once a week until older. And sponge bathe daily

People raised kids for hundreds of years with no running water til the 50s. & babies “felt” just fine. Dont dry their skin out. Most don’t know you’re not even supposed to put lotion especially baby oil on babies skin. Its toxic & their body filters out toxins through their skin & it sits there to form immunity. Most baby soaps and lotions sit on their skin & trap toxins in. I wouldn’t do it that often.

2 Likes

I bathed my son once a week for about a month. Newborn skin is very sensitive. Once he was out of newborn stage I bathed him about every 3 days.

1 Like

I did every 2 days and in between just did a quick wipe down

How often do you bathe? If you nathe once a week, youre good lol
Me, i bathe every day. My kids from day one bathed every other. On their off day, i still took a wet cloth and cleaned under their neck and all crevices. I mean, im sure babies wanna feel nice too. I also did it for routine.

3 Likes

My Dr said if you can smell the baby, you can bathe the baby. I’d suggest not using any soaps with fragrance at first. We use the lightly scented Aveeno with no skin irritation and we dont wash her hair with soap each time. Just a scrub on the head with a wash cloth

My 3.5 week old has only had one bath :woman_shrugging:

I washed my little guy everyday because he had ridiculous blowouts .

1 Like

I don’t think there is any hard and fast rule. Babies don’t get all that dirty. Whenever you think it’s needed. I used to bath mine at 10 am every morning because that’s what I was told to do. They did seem to settle well after a bath and a feed.

Once a week until 3 months. Regular baths can dry out their sensitive skin

2 Likes

I did everyday. Sometimes 2 times a day. They need cleanliness.

We bathed look everyday and still do its part of her bedtime routine but obviously it can make skin dry but we have always been fine x

I washed my baby like once a week until she was about 9 months or so. Doc says it can dry their skin out to bathe too much. They get wiped down all the time anyway.