How old was your child when you stopped helping them with their hair in the shower?

All I hear is what you or her father want. What does she want?

1 Like

Ummmmn DAD should be DAD and do the girls hair.

If he really wanted to, he would learn. Seems to me like he is too lazy to even try.

don’t cut her hair mama.

1 Like

My 5 year old can’t wash her hair on her own so I do it. Her hair is to her butt and curly she tries to wash it on her own but really just gets the top of her head. Her father and I have talked about cutting it to make it more manageable for her but she stands firm in keeping her Elsa like locks :woman_shrugging:t5:

He needs to wash his kids hair if they can’t do it themselves. My son is 5 and does it himself now but some kids have a hard time with it.

1 Like

My daughter is 7 and has showered alone for almost a year. Her hair can get stuck in the waistband so it’s also long.

Dont cut !!!my hair pass my butt n when i was 9 my hair was to my knees i took my own bath but every nite my mom would wash my hair comb it in put in a braid. N when i wake up she did the same she brush my hair n braid it. The most i cut my hait is at my waist.

He just needs to figure it out. A little inconvenience but if he learns how to do it, its not that difficult

It would depend on age my 2 year old uses tear free shampoo and she washes her self in the tub (sometimes a little too much shampoo) but does a pretty good job. If your that worried, make it a teaching moment, show her how to wash it properly and dry it and have her brush it out. Men arnt the best at hair stuff my hubby will put our daughters in a messy bun but that’s as far as his skills go :rofl:

Right teach dad some basic ponies if it’s a struggle for him to manage.

Both my daughter 3&5 both wash their hair by themselves. I do give them proper amount of shampoo so they won’t over do it but the scrub it.

Maybe just send her to dads with braids

5 Likes

I still help my 8 year old with her hair

1 Like

Just cut my 5 yr olds hair because she didn’t like how hot her long hair made her and she struggles brushing it my 7 year old loves her long hair so she has it long but has to deal with me helping her until she is able to keep it up herself.

I still help my daughter and she’s 5.5 but I also use olaplex and it’s a 10 on her hair so I don’t want her using too much :sweat_smile: it’s expensive! (She’s never had a haircut at all)

Ask your child how she would like her hair. She’s the one that has to wear it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

my youngest girls are 8 and are now washing their own hair.

Me and my daughters dad have said since the day we found out we were having a girl that we arnt cutting her hair until she is old enough to tell us if she wants it cut or not. So he came to me and asked me to show him how to do stuff with her hair but it’s not a problem for him bc he has long hair like his hair is just as long as myn it’s a mohawk but it is long! She isnt 2 yet and dosnt have much hair yet but he still likes to watch me when I do her hair so he can learn! Depending on how old she is try teaching her how to wash it and stuff herself and ask dad if he needs you to show him how you do it and some tricks you have picked up to make it easier

1 Like

If she wants her hair cut, cut it. If not then so be it. Regardless if it’s short or long it needs caring for and he needs to do that while she’s there. He’s her parent. My older son has curly hair and my younger straight so they each have different hair regimens they started at like 5. I don’t do anything shower related after 6 unless they need something because they knew how to wash by then but I style my 9 and 7 year old boys’ hair before we go anywhere which sounds like what he should be doing.

My daughter is 11 and we still struggle with proper hair washing. She doesn’t want my help so I’m constantly reminding her how to wash it properly. I would say there is no set age that you stop helping your child. They determine when they no longer want help and you go from there.

Tough titty little kitty! That is his child, my husband learned how to braid and do ponytails for our girls. Tell him to quit being childish

Lol my daughter is almost 13 and every once in a while I will wash her hair for her. Because it just looks and smells dirty. :joy::joy:

1 Like

My two year old can wash her own body, but her hair is an entirely different story. She’s Miss Independent and wants to do everything herself lately. I never leave her unattended in the tub and she asks if she needs help with something (Her verbal skills are very good as I told her whining doesn’t help anyone help you. If you need something, you have to ask for help).

I don’t have girls old enough to care for their own hair, but my boys were closer to 5-7 when they became independent enough to do their own hair care.

The length shouldn’t matter. Washing it at the scalp is all the same, then use conditioner.

If it is textured, cut it. If it is straight, she needs to do it herself. Curls are tough for lots of people, even adults.

1 Like

Mine is 6 and I help her if she ask. Her dad once in awhile will shower the kids and will do it if she needs help

I still help my 8 year old with her hair.

When you can watch them wash it and they are able to fully do it on their own. When my daughter was able to rinse her hair thoroughly without leaving residue she was good

1 Like

If she wants it long keep it long, if she wants it short cut it short. It’s her hair afterall🤷‍♀️ if she decides long maybe a couple french braids or even regular braid while shes at Dads and you can take care of it after sunday night shower for school the next day.

I help my son with his hair because he has thick hair and it seems to grow fast we will wash it before he takes his shower he takes off his shirt and leans over the side of the tub and I wash and rinse it then when he is in the shower he will rinse it before getting out to make sure soap is gone

I let my kids decide. My oldest wanted a super short cut about 7.
But they both had pixies for a wile, my eldest actully prefers a shaved#2 now at 13 like their dad.
My youngest likes a bob, she’s got a petty colorful style.
If she prefers hers long teach her how to do it herself. Mine we’re independent in the show after 5 and 6, I would then brush and style if they wanted. They prefered brushing it themselves mostly.
I only insisted on school days to use leave in anti lice conditioner and to keep it up and out of their faces.
It was eaiser for them to maintain a bit shorter but completly their decision.

I let my daughter decide if she wants it cut or not. She’s almost 7 and been showering herself since 4 and a half. She brushes it. The only thing I do is style it if she wants me to but she also knows how depending on the style

1 Like

He could have her after the shower bend over the tub part and rinse it thoroughly for her …without her being in the “shower” part ….also use Johnson no more tangles ….just spray and brush a lifesaver for me !

It’s her hair and her choice, if she doesn’t want it cut, don’t cut it…he can grow up and take care of his child.

I think ut might be easier for her to learn how to take care of it on her own (depending on her age) if its shorter and then her dad cannot fight you on the subject as well

My daughter is 8 and I check to make sure she has all the shampoo out. She general gets her hair cut once a year because she doesn’t like to brush it because of the snarls and her dad and I try to help her but she says no

Just because she’s a child doesn’t mean her hair doesn’t need taken care of.
I dated a guy a couple years ago, he had a daughter with long thick hair. Every time she came back from her mother’s I’d have to immediately bathe her and untangle the rats nest from her hair. I’d condition it, then French braid it back out of her face. I would ALWAYS complain about how her hair needed to be taken care of and not just thrown up in a ratty ass mess. Do not cut that girls hair (unless she wants to) just because her father is lazy. I wouldn’t ask him I would TELL him to step it up in that department.

My eight year olds both wash their own hair. Both have thick. Curly hair down to their butt. Teach her how to properly do it and if she cant then cut it. Dad shouldnt have to suffer

If she likes it long then it is worth fighting for but if she wants it shorter too maybe you should cut it I wouldn’t go all the way up to her shoulder I would go half way between her shoulder and where it is now

Tell him to do better. Do not cut her hair

Dont you dare cut her hair because he cant be arsed . Teach him how to do it properly or book him some lessons in being a decent parent .

1 Like