How should I handle my baby shower through this outbreak?

Like so many others I am pregnant during this pandemic I am due in August. Which brings up what happens to our baby shower? To be honest, as much as I would love to have a “normal” pregnancy, all I’m concerned about is my baby coming out happy and healthy, so the baby shower isn’t going to bring me down. But like any family with a new baby, we still need stuff; we still need help. So I wanted to ask everyone’s opinion on how to word sort of like a save the date, that says as much as we wanted to celebrate- right now it’s all kind of up in the air to, keep everyone safe including our baby and I wanted to put my registry link on the invitation or save the date whatever you may call it as well, so people can still send us gifts as if we still had a shower. But my fear is coming off rude, like oh hey no party - but make sure you still buy me things. I don’t want to sound like that. So I was hoping for some help with the wording a card- that says we will celebrate together one day soon in the meantime we would appreciate any help you could give us. Hopefully that all makes sense. I’m sure a lot of women are in this same boat! Let me know your ideas ,!! Thanks!

1 Like

My sister is pregnant and due in July. We are planning a virtual shower. We plan to use Zoom, which is a video app thst everyone csn log into

1 Like

people understand. It’s a scary time right now. You could give them a date that you would have the shower, but they only send gifts at that time, and set another date a few months down the road (you can always cancel or change the date) for the shower, minus the gifts. Then they could all have fun playing with the baby (if this crap is over with by then).

1 Like

I’m due in June.If all this isn’t over before then we were gonna send out registry and a meet the baby party when baby is here…food for thought :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Drive by baby shower with a gift drop box

1 Like

I saw an idea on facebook where it was a drive through kind of ordeal. People came up in there yard & put the gift in a box & kept a safe distance & had a little chat. I thought it was smart & sweet.

1 Like

I am due mid April. My baby shower was scheduled for tomorrow but unfortunately I had to cancel it. I am registered at amazon so once I sent the cancellation through evite and also put on there that I was registered. People understand and don’t want to take chances so I am thankful that I am now getting gift in the mail. Something is better than nothing.

2 Likes

We are doing a Virtual baby shower! My sister is planning it. But basically everyone is sending the gifts and we will open them on camera for them!

4 Likes

You could do something like this and re-word it with “it’s difficult to quarantine so far away” and just note at the end that you can celebrate post baby! I’m sure everyone will understand with the circumstances!

I hope this is over soon :pensive:

Just state the facts,you can’t have the shower right now,but you do need stuff for the baby.You can have a party after baby is born.Be sure to send hand written thank you notes for those who send presents.That will show that you know how special the gift meant at this time.People should understand.Well most should.Congrats Momma!

How about a virtual baby shower? Everyone can mail you things and then on a certain date you can all use zoom, skype, etc to watch you open the gifts.

1 Like

I’m due beginning of June I had to cancel mine. If you aren’t due until August you have 4 months that’s plenty of time, be thankful. Some of us don’t have much time until our babies are here. I’m sure by August things will be better

We had to move ours from may to june because of the quarentine going on.

So I’m am hoping we will be able to have it then and this crap will be over

1 Like

Do a sip and see. Once the baby is born and hopefully the virus isn’t a pandemic… Maybe late April do a baby shower/meet the baby

I am actually having this problem too. I’m sure in June. I’m not sure what I will do. I thought about postponing until after the madness and just having people come eat snacks meet the babies and do gifts then.

1 Like

You’ve got 5 months. Settle down.

5 Likes

You still have plenty of time to have a baby shower , maybe end of June

1 Like

I’m due in july will have baby shower in june. Hopefully everything is blown over by then. Or we will probably just do the drive by thing

Just have the gifts mailed :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Your baby is due in August you have plenty of time to have a shower all this should be over before then

We have decide to do it in july when hipefully things are back to normal for my son whos gilfriend is do the end of August

This is what I would say;
“The shower is to be determined with all the chaos going on, we’re going to start working on the nursery. If anyone would like to share the love before our bundle of joy arrives…
We are registered at:
When everything calms down and we’re able to enjoy everyone’s company again we will send out another/the invites (maybe even post baby…eeek!)
Thank you so much for understanding and keeping our little love safe until then.”
Love,
-you & yours

8 Likes

I had my shower 2 weeks before my son was born. I would wait and see how things go. If this world is still crazy in June then send out the registry information.

I would just postpone the baby shower. You could always have people drop off the baby presents and tell them to knock or ring the doorbell to let you know that they are on the porch. Have them leave it and walk away. Keeping your baby safe is what is important.

Have them order online and ship to you ! And then do a welcome to the world party

1 Like

You could also do it like a save the date oh no the quarantine happened, here’s my registry and stay tuned for a date for a sip and see once everything is back to normal!

Drive by baby shower!

Have a live on Facebook shower. Have gifts delivered and open them T a certain time and invite everyone. If this doesn’t go away by then

1 Like

Plan it for early July. Maybe the worst will be behind us and it is early enough so if the baby comes early you have most of the stuff you need.

DONT HAVE ONE on a nicer note good luck and blessings , have a meet the bubba party instead

1 Like

Don’t have one and have a naming ceremony later.

Im due in may… im kinda in the same boat about a baby shower and how to go about that

Do an online shower with video chat confrence, email games or mail for folks to play together. Some could call older family on speaker phone who dont video chat. Have everything delivered direct, thru amazon , target, walmart etc .

You could have an online shower where you go live and open gifts from friends and loved ones, you could notify them that as much as you love to have a shower right now isn’t the best time for anybody and that right now you could still use their love and support :yellow_heart::orange_heart: I hope you figure it out and that it’s still a wonderful experience for you expectant parents out there :yellow_heart::orange_heart:

7 Likes

My daughter is due May 5th so we just setup a gift registry and having all gifts delivered by the end of this month. The dead line is to allow us time to get any other essentials we may need and we are having a sip and see after everythung is safe. A sip and see is a gathering with refreshments just like a baby shower and people may also bring gifts then and see the baby.

I would have you register at a store like target and get people can get what’s on your list or they can purchase gift cards then a friends can wrap them and have you open them online and have games like question and answers etc idk… People don’t have to send them this way.

1 Like

Do a FB party virtual baby shower. You can get gifts before and open them for all to see etc. Make it fun

2 Likes

Register on Amazon and send out announcements

Plan your party for July. Send out the invites about a month/month and a half before. Send them to everyone you’ve ever met ever; it’s the best way to have a good turn out (at least a 1/3 of the guest usually turn up). And please keep your spirits up. I know the numbers look bad right now but it really seems like we are going to beat this virus. Doctors around the world have been reporting successful treatment with the malaria drug and azythromyecin. So plan your shower with a happy heart. Victory is in sight!

Has someone been planning it for you before all this? If so, have them make it a video/live stream showers. Everyone sends their gifts ahead of time and you guys all meet up on zoom or what have you and you unwrap the gifts in front of everyone. I hope you have someone advocating for you. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I have seen people doing drive up showers. They Mama is sitting in the driveway & family & friends can drive by & put their presents on the driveway. Have someone there that can help carry them in. They throw a welcome to the world party after the baby is born (& this craziness is over) so everyone can meet him/her.

1 Like

Ask for electronic gift cards.

A lot of people do baby showers after the baby comes than everyone gets to hold them etc. And at least for me that would have worked fine, as I got hand me downs for baby and a lot of things you get aren’t absolutely essential in the beginning. You just need some outfits not a huge amount as they will grow out of them super quickly, either a bassinet(cheaper) a playpen with a bassinet mine was 99bucks or a crib which a cheap one with bed is like 300 bassinet(at least these were the prices in my area) is a better option personally & you could always buy second hand too, than diapers and formula if your formula feeding but a lot of times you can get some of that as samples of the same brand and the hospital sometimes will give you some take homes.Personally with my first I way way over prepared, this time I just bought things as she needed them & didn’t over prepare and it has been so nice not having the house full of things and it’s exciting getting something new for her every month or so ., I get it if after would be too stressful if it’s your first, or just wanting to be prepared but so much of it is excess you don’t actually need a huge amount for a new baby a lot you can get as you go. Just an idea, good luck!!!

1 Like

Your not due until aug I would hope you wouldn’t have your shower until July ?!

I had a shower after my daughter was born. Which was good as 40 yrs ago we didn’t know the sex. And I was given many outfits in larger sizes. People who love you will get you something. How about sending you the gifts and after when this is over have a party. We have a 2 week old here so I understand

Have a shower once this pandemic is over.

1 Like

Do a drive by baby shower. Have a box for people to put presents in.

1 Like

Omg I’m due in August too and I was wondering the same thing

Dont worry about it yet just wait and see where this goes. I’m due in 3 days soooo that’s shit timing

Online Amazon baby registry.

Postpone it or do a virtual shower like a facebook party?

Just send a card, email, or Facebook post politely explaining the shower itself is canceled but you’re online registries are still open
Or maybe just postpone it

Im due at the end of May :weary:

Oh My heavens!!! Do you not know how rude it is to give your own shower? And yes, if I received a card no matter how it was worded,I would get the feeling you were saying,"hell with you, just give a gift"and I truly think most people with one eye and bat sense would think the same.

5 Likes

Why don’t you just wait till the baby is here? You may not have a good turn out if this crazy is still going on in July…I’m due July 4th and depending on how we are in that time will be waiting until my son is born to do a party. It’s better to be safe for you,baby and everyone else and just wait and see if this clears up first. But def put your registry on so everyone can buy and just send if they don’t plan on going if this pandemic is still going on.

Mine was scheduled for the 5th since I’m due the 27th, so it’s cancelled :frowning: when I was posting about it being cancelled I said I was thankful for all that were planning on attending & I’m sorry for the cancellation. I included my registry info & said for anyone that wishes to get anything or anyone that has already bought something this is the address to send to, etc. And also added that I, by no means, am expecting anything at all I was just grateful for any and all who were wanting to come and celebrate the arrival of new baby!! I’m definitely upset it’s cancelled not just for the fact I feel like my boy isn’t being celebrated but also I am like 100% not prepared at all. I was planning on finalizing my shopping after the shower so nothing was double bought and what not & now with stay at home orders & this virus I’m scared to even go shopping for baby :frowning: such a hard time!!

Thats tacky, just send a Birth Announcement when the baby is born.

2 Likes

Register online-target-Amazon etc…

Maybe plan one on july where rhings will be better

I would plan the shower for July. It is still too early to tell what will happen by then. My shower is planned for July 18 and it does worry me that life will not have returned to normal by then. If it does I think it will help my turnout as people are going to be ready to go to some celebrations. If it doesn’t I’m going to reschedule the shower. That simple. Don’t send out a tacky card. At least not at this point because noone has any idea what will happen yet. You can send a save the date with your registry info but I wouldn’t put any weird wording on it.

I know you don’t want to come off as rude, but asking people for presents is rude. Some people might not be in a position to buy gifts for your child at this time, especially in the middle of a pandemic. I’d skip the shower and just provide the basics for your child at the moment. Plenty of time for parties and gatherings when this all subsides. Send out birth announcements and anyone who wants to send your baby a gift can do so. Best of luck with your baby :heart:

3 Likes

My baby shower was booked in for today but had to be cancelled. My family have given me some gifts that were for the shower before we went on lock down but I won’t see friends until after this and I’m due in 5wks. My sister has been out and bought personalised banners etc for the party :pensive:. We have dsjd once this is over we will do a more of a meet the baby shower. Most important thing is that baby and everyone is safe and healthy x

1 Like

I think showers are traditionally about a month before you are due, an August baby would be a July shower. The quarantine will probably be over by then. Wait and see what happens at least til June.

1 Like

This is rude no matter how you lool at it tbh… like, people are losing their jobs and some may even lose their homes. People are dying, burting thwir family members amf paying dor funerals. Your baby shower gift is not something anyone else should be worrying about right now

2 Likes

Tbh buy your own stuff for your baby !! People have better things to worry about and you get 9 months to get what you need ! I find asking for gifts rude full stop

Cancel your shower for protection for friends and your family!!

Since my husband is military we don’t live near any of our friends and family on both sides. We had everyone send gifts and then we did a Facebook live of us opening them and saying thank you to the person that bought the item for us.

Buy a few thing as you go shopping. Don’t depend on other people to supply your baby things. When this virus thing is over people will send gifts on their own. If you need shower family can have one after baby born

Why don’t you wait until after you have had the baby and the whole Covid-19 thing has settled. Anything goes these days. You could give the party a different name and encourage friends and family to come and see your precious new arrival. This way you still get to celebrate with people close and get to have your party.

You could send out the registry early for those that want to send gifts before hand. Others may decide to wait. I would leave it open for people to make their own decision regarding gift giving.

People will want to celebrate you! Do a virtual shower and just state that you want to make sure that you’re loved ones stay healthy and safe, so for now, virtual is your only option. You have carefully selected items you know the baby will love and would be thankful for any item purchased in honor of your baby. Best of luck!!!

I love the drive by idea. Thats what I am doing for my sons graduation. I am going to put out treat/goody bags and have a place for gifts and cards. I also give them the option to just mail cards if they prefer.