How should we handle this visitation issue?

My son’s dad and I went to court, and he was given every other weekend for visitation. He asked my husband and me Friday if he could keep him a whole week, and we said we would consider it. But now he’s turned his phone off, and his mother and go, and he have blocked us both on social media as well. Do I wait until he doesn’t show up at 6 pm Sunday or what?

27 Likes

I pray that all is well with your child!! In the future, If ur son is old enough for a phone, use the app called life360 to monitor his whereabouts. Dad doesn’t have to know. It’s for your pwn comfort & sanity.

Big red flag. If you verbally agreed you can change your mind. Go to his house with the police. He could very well say you abandon the child because you never showed up to get the child. Don’t wait till morning

8 Likes

Call police as soon as possible. You should be able to get in contact with your child any time he is in his dads custody, no matter where he is at. He can be held in contempt.

9 Likes

Go to his house tell him his phone isnt working and you wanted to discuss him keeping the son just to have the excuse to check out the situation

9 Likes

Child safety first! Go directly to his house! Don’t wait!! Sounds like he’s avoiding. Call Police if you feel needed!!

3 Likes

red flag for sure, I would not wait, I would call police & explain the situation & have them do a well check on your child asap

7 Likes

The police can’t do anything until after 6pm if he doesn’t show and most states give a 15 minute grace period to being late. So if you don’t have your child by 6:15pm then you call the police

2 Likes

If he don’t show up Sunday at 6 then take custody papers to sheriff department n they will go with you to get ur child most states allow 20 minutes so 6:20 but then u will have to go back to lawyer n file a contempt of court on him I had to go thru alot with my ex husband but now since he puts our child first co-parenting is amazing we just got done sitting n visiting with one another during pick up

2 Likes

oh my God please go to the policeman don’t wait till something bad happens like it had happened before if the police don’t listen to you call the news

1 Like

I would ask them to do a wellness check. I wouldn’t wait!

1 Like

You need to follow the court order!! If you make other plans have a notebook and write everything down and you both sign it make sure he has a copy too.

2 Likes

You can always call the police for a well check. Do it !

You need a well check.

Very strange. Write a letter, then visit. Maybe he is having financial difficulties and had his phone shut off.

Is he a danger to the kid? If not, then I feel bad for him, only granted to see his child possibly 4 days out of a month…I would go insane

What are you still in love with him sounds like it your still trying to punish him be glad his dad still wants time with him don’t make your kids life bad

4 Likes

Technically he hasn’t done anything wrong yet. At 6:01 I would call the police if your son isn’t home

1 Like

Welfare check!! Don’t wait

3 Likes

No don’t wait till Monday because there is no telling what he might do i agree with you all call the police now

So if he asked Friday for 1 wk.and this is Sunday what’s ur problem

Call the cops ASAP. It’s kidnapping not missing

Investigate the situation. Now.

1 Like

Call the police no doubt about it

dont wait too many flags find your son asap

1 Like

This sounds like a red flag already wish you well,

He blocked you on social media and is not answering his phone. I would call the Police department NOW and explain the situation and ask for a wellness check.
Don’t wait. Every second counts. Don’t worry about overreacting. Better safe than sorry. Specially since he blocked you on social media and you cannot reach him

2 Likes

Call the police & have them do a welfare check on your son

3 Likes

Go to the house and let him k ow you were trying to call but theres issues with the phone. BE NICE!!! Then see what he has to say and go from there. If he is a dick Call the cops

4 Likes

Call your lawyer and police. I would not wait. The way I am reading this, you did not give permission for your son to stay for a week. Your son is only there for the weekend. Your ex may not be happy that you did not allow visitation for a week. So now your ex has turned off his phone and blocked all social media for a reason. Hopefully just to scare you and not to take off with your son. Call your lawyer ASAP.

11 Likes

From what you wrote that posted at 2pm on Sunday if I’m getting this correctly, is that your son was due back at 6pm and your ex wanted him for the week, you hadn’t gave him an answer yet, and he since hasn’t answered his phone. You legally have to wait until 6pm. He does not have to have you on social media. He does need to have open communication via phone, but it doesn’t have to be instantaneous, he can make you wait a reasonable amount of time. If he doesn’t show at 6pm, call the police and your lawyer. For future hand offs I’d require them at the police station so that if he didn’t show, your already there to file a report.

So did he asked while the child was still with the him and you had not given him an answer…
You left your answer out…
He could a. Not want you calling if you did give him permission
B.you didnt give answer so he’s keeping him and turned his phone off from you…
Id you trust him wait…if you dont call the police…

2 Likes

Talk to your lawyer. He /she should be the person you go to not the internet. Let them know what’s going on and they can tell you what to do from there. I wish you the best of luck

10 Likes

Wait till 6 call the police and take your court order with you.press charges if you can and then go file and the courts again to change his visitation.Keep every message and voice mail everything because you will need them if you choose to take him back or if he takes you.DONT LET THIS GO BECAUSE IT WILL HAPPE. AGAIN

1 Like

I had the same problem with my ex. Had to call police since he was an he late and said he would take off with the kids if he got them. Police ended up picking my kids up from his house.

1 Like

Did you tell him he could keep him for the week. If you did not then wait til 6 and see if he comes with your son if he does not get there and you reach out to him at 6 to find out where he is I would go ahead and call the police and make sure you have a copy of your court order. If you told him he could keep him a week then you may have to wait but I would go by his place just to make sure your son is okay since he had turned off his phone and block you from social media but I would take the cops with you to be on the safe side

4 Likes

You can’t involve the police until 6. But you need to get your court papers out because they will need to see them. Their is so many parents that are doing this now a days. Have everything in order if your child doesn’t return on time. Make sure they put out a emergency Amber out for your child.

4 Likes

You’ll have to wait until he doesn’t show up. You don’t have a choice in the matter. As far as him keeping him for the extra time, it is his son. It’s also his job to responsibly co-parent with you. If he’s willing to do the last part, there’s no reason why you can’t give him some latitude on the first part.

I have had this happen. Wait until sunday at 6 no show then call the sheriff and give him court order and have sheriff go there to get your kid. If dad has 50/50 custody the sheriff cant take him but can make a report and you can bring that to court and dad can lose his parenting rights

2 Likes

Do he have your child if he don’t show up or call to let you know he going to be late call police and make a report

3 Likes

Unfortunately you will have to wait for the pick up time. I don’t know if the communication is all written or oral between you guys but this is going to be hard due to the non contact on his part. Please keep us posted and I’m praying the outcome is good.

So is your child with him or is BD a no call no show? I’m confused af.

This is going to be hard. My brother tried picking up my niece for his visitation and his ex wife refused. He called the police and they told him he had to take her back to court. They can’t make her give the child to him. Hope it’ll be different for you.

1 Like

This should be a conversation with your lawyer. You said you considered a whole week when the agreement states every other weekend… now your upset for giving him that freedom. I’m not siding with either, this is something for your lawyer when you allowed the agreement to be altered

In the custody papers, did you state a certain or reasonable amount of time to wait before forfeited? Also, I put in mine if he cancels, he HAS to call. Just makes them look bad as far as communication goes.

Call the cops and have a welfare check done if he doesn’t show up!

Are you the custodial parent? If so if he doesn’t show you call the cops and report kidnapping I went through this 10 years ago

4 Likes

Call authorities now. Don’t wait. Good luck to you and your children.

1 Like

If you have custody he is in violation of your parental rights. Call your lawyer and the police to check on them.

1 Like

He can file a non-compliance on you each and every time you refuse to respect his visitation rights and vice versa

Unfortunately, most police departments will tell you that this is a civil matter and must be taken to court. I know that custody papers state specifically that this is an enforceable order, but 90% of them won’t get involved. Contact your attorney NOW. If there are text messages agreeing to the visitation, most courts consider that a "written agreement " between the two of you and he is violating that agreement if he does not return the child at the agreed upon time and date and the courts will highly frown on that.

2 Likes

Yes call the police and have a police report and then call ur lawyer and bring it to court.

Legally u have to have a way to contact him if he has the child but if u don’t give the child if he shows up he can get you for attempt of court but same if he doesn’t show up call cops and get them to make a report so that u have proof of it

You should adhere to the court order. If he was granted every other weekend then that’s when he should pick up his children. If you just recently went to court (I’m assuming from what you wrote) he could have mentioned that he wanted a week ( temporarily) to spend with the children.

Please know that court orders are created to avoid this foolishness. Do not make any special accommodations for him then you won’t have to worry about waiting around for him.

I would also keep a written record of every thing that happens or doesn’t happen. If he wants a different arrangement then make him go through the courts.

1 Like

If you share custody you may have to go to the court system tomorrow morning. I’d start with calling the cops non emergency line (now) and see what they say to do. Does your ex have a history of violence?

Have police do a well check. If he was not given permission for a week, then hes already in the wrong. It sounds shady already either way.

Yes why do you need to be in constant contact?

Do not deviate from the court order until you have 100% trust and honesty. You should have set a non-negotiable schedule and a 24/7 hour contact order. Take hom back to court.

Can you have the police do a welfare check

3 Likes

He must keep open line of communication open at all times

4 Likes

He has to have open communication for visitation purposes.

3 Likes

I be on my way to get my son

4 Likes

If he has blocked everything call cops now

2 Likes

unfortunately yes you have to wait

Go get him are ride over there to check on hm

If he do that without having the kids…
imagine what he’d do if he did have them…

This is hard on everybody who is involved.

God i would be worried sick. Keep us updated

I would be pissed if I had no way to reach him. I suppose you have to wait until 6. I would let him know you will be contacting your lawyer

1 Like

By law he must bring ur son back at the time that is set if he’s not there at least 15 minutes after call police they will call him and make sure he brings him home.

1 Like