How to calm a toddler?

Hello ladies… I need tried and tested advice. How to make your 2 year old baby calm… my baby has anger issues… she shouts very badly that I get headache… if I’m not giving her what she asks she shouts very bad… Also she hits herself against wall and throw things beat me… I had anger issues as a kid… so I know where it is coming from… But I don’t want my baby to go through this… I spanked her it didn’t help… I feel as a bad mom…

11 Likes

Best advice I have for the screaming is to ignore it, my son also gets mad easily and I just ignore & he stops. The throwin, he does also & he goes into his room until he calms down. Good luck mama. It’ll get better.

1 Like

Dont give in. Walk away

2 Likes

It’s a tantrum. Put her naughty butt on a chair & make her sit there facing the wall for 2mins til she calms down

3 Likes

Ignore it…once she finds out she won’t get the attention she is looking for she will stop

1 Like

My niece used to do this! She would bang her head against her bed and the carpet. Her doctor said to just let them run out. Someone they put grow.

1 Like

Buy some headphones and ignore it :joy: it’ll pass in time

2 Likes

When my 2 year old is having a tantrum, I hug him. I don’t feel like it’s rewarding bad behavior, but more like supporting him through a rough time. It sounds silly, but dealing with new, big emotions isn’t easy for anyone. Especially at that age. Like I tell my mom, “it’s some hippie shit” :joy::woman_shrugging:t2:

Teaching her not to hit by hiting her is counter productive.

4 Likes

Start taking things she loves away, tv, toys, games, and DONT GIVE IN

2 Likes

My bad tempered son, I gave him corner time. I started this at 18 months. 1 minute per year of life in the corner. It worked until he was too old for the corner. now its alone time in the room

2 Likes

Lavender oil on her pillow or favorite blanket. May help

Temper tantrum. Tell her if she hit again she will go in corner time out. Stand behind her so that she doesnt move outta the corner and she knows you ain’t messing around. If she wants to scream over not getting what she wants put her in another room. Or walk away, ignore her. Dont give in because that will teach her if she acts this way she gets attention and what she wants.

3 Likes

Sit her in time out. And if she throw a fit take her things away til she calm down. My son is 19 months and he falls out when he can’t get what he wants. And I sit him in time out he has a time out chair . That works for me.

1 Like

Keep a calm voice when she yells and put her in the corner facing the wall each time she starts

1 Like

I don’t start the timer until my children are sitting quietly in the corner. Their tantrums end quickly because they don’t want to stay still for too long.

2 Likes

Likely wants attention. Gather that baby up in your loving arms and hold her!!! Just hold her until she calms down and tell her that’s not how she should behave. We do not throw things, that’s very naughty and that can hurt our home and our things. We do not need to yell, I am here. Tell me what you need. We do not hit, because that can hurt and we don’t hurt each other. My daughter has become so accustomed that she ASKS for cuddles when she is upset and knows what her emotions are as well as can tell ours (parents) and her siblings! Very communicative and expressive. She is going to be 3 in August.

4 Likes

The only thing I have been able to do with my son is maintain eye contact, breathe calmly and sit quietly while he calms down. Once the screaming has stopped I ask him to use his words so I can understand what he needs and I can help him better.

1 Like

She’s testing her boundaries or a need isn’t being met. Ignoring her or hurting her is not the way to correct it. I think calm consistent reproach is important.

2 Likes

You have what is “spoiled child syndrome” if you have always given her what she wants no matter how bad she acts, then she will continue to get mean until she gets her way. At 2 she need stability and discipline. Time outs for bad behavior is acceptable. Be stern. She gets out, put her back. You have to stand your ground or you are gonna have an unruly teenager.

3 Likes

Jannina sounds like u when u were a kid :joy:

I have a foster son just like this! Play therapy seems to be working well. When he has screaming fits we put him in his room until he calms down. When he head bangs or “flops” to the ground we try to catch him and put him somewhere soft so he doesn’t get hurt. His behavior (that has cost him to be removed from 7 other foster homes) has drastically improved in the last 5 months! Sometimes he will even put himself in his bedroom when hes about to have a fit.
I know it can be stressful! Good luck and God bless!

2 Likes

Protect her from danger. If that means a padded room. Create one.
Read the book control theory . Remember that all behaviour is intended to get what is wanted. As long as she’s safe ignore her fits. Only reset attention once she behaves. Had 4 kids. Be just a parent not a friend. Take good care of her. But don’t get entangled in her fits. Even if she rolls on the floor. Bangs her head. Buy her a helmet when she starts a meltdown grab her and strap it on her then let her be. Clear your house. It’s called minimalisation
Good luck. Have her assessed. If there is something wrong with her let the doctors tell you how to treat her medically.
But trust me - read control theory or a similar version. Good for your head as well.

2 Likes

Time outs when she doesn’t listen ignore the tantrums also when my youngest gets overwhelmed and just gets upset I’ll take him to the room just is and read him a book he loves books

1 Like

Redirect your child to something else, may help.

I don’t want to offend anyone by this but I highly believe that if your kid hits you you should spank them back. Show them why it’s not okay to hit mom.

6 Likes

She needs to go to the doctor. There is an issue

1 Like

-Laugh at her. And dont stop until shes laughing with you!
-Tell her “don’t laugh/smile” all the while you have a serious face! She will not be abke to keep a straight/mad face!
Always works with my kids​:joy::joy:

2 Likes

Terrible twos. They’re so much fun :joy::joy:
Just be consistent with punishments, and reward the behaviour you want her use.

2 Likes

I have an almost 15mo who likes to hit when she’s angry too. I yell OW really loudly to let her know it hurt, and I put her on a time out chair. If she tries to hit again, I hold her arms down by her side and say No Hitting!

I got counseling for my children’s issues that I couldn’t handle and was taught the basic child physiology rules and how to use them .

1 Like

Here in iowa we have aea programs or first five ppl who are professionals with children behaviors who come to the house and work with you and your kids I’ve had my kids in aea currently in first five I went to their dr told them what’s going on and their dr sent out a referral they’re starting to do better

Both of you got to learn that no means no! And timeouts are very important.

My daughter used to have anger issues. But she came from a house where her father was abusive and she learned his ways. It took me years to get her under control and I couldnt tell you what I did except to stay firm and have lots of patience. But the other day I saw her handle my grandson who was having a screaming meltdown for some little reason. She ket him cry and scream a little bit and then asked him if he needed her to hold him while he cried it out. He agreed and after a minute or two he calmed down and then she asked him to use his words. He did and then everything was great again in his world. I wish I would have done it that way with her. It may have taken me less time to get control.

2 Likes

A 2 yo is not a baby and toddlers throw tantrums it’s part of being a kid

1 Like

Flat out it’s because you have allowed this to go on :joy::joy:

3 Likes

If distractions dont wrk- and it sounds like you need big distractions- make her go to bed. Remain calm the entire time she freaks out. She wont like a ‘no reaction’ type of way from you at first, so she might get momentarily worse, but stick by it. Read and teach her about her emotions and how to find age right ways to handle n cope with them… She’s 2 but theirs ways to show and explain clearly what we are feeling and how to manage.

Calmly put her in time out and tell her when she has calmed down and can be nice and use nice hands and nice words she can get up and be consistent and it her back over and over if you have to.

Bust her ass and throw her in a corner no games to toys no tv nothing but the 2 walls to look at and leave her there tell she quits screaming then pull her over to you and explain why she got her ass busted and sat in the corner for so long she throws a fit do it again ( maybe not just her ass depending on how bad the fit was)

Read… Dare To Discipline…it really helped. I had 6 children.

My son is like thos, i pick hom ip hold him and when he calm diwn i explain why he cant and i reassured him i love him

Our 2 year old would hit his head on the floor, hit himself and scream. Time outs in a play pen that is soft and they cannot hurt themselves in is key. Invest in ear plugs and when they throw a tantrum play pen they go. Soon they will learn that that behavior is not rewarded and stop. You just have to stick with it and never take them out before they calm down.

3 Likes

Take her in your arms hold herarms where she cant swing thembe sitting wrap your legs around hers so she cant kick and tell shes not getting loose until she stops this may take a few times

2 Likes

My 4 year old does the same . I tried spanks , taking toys , taking activities from her . No tv. Tablets . Literally left her in her room with just a bed and dresser . Time outs . Everything and nothing works . If I spank her she laughs . Her toys being taken don’t bother her . Activities being taken don’t bother her . Eventually I just let her do her fits, and ignored her . And eventually she stopped . She still acts up a little but not as bad

Isolate and ignore. No eye contact. Without an audience, she’ll give up. You HAVE to ignore.

My daughter did this about 4-5 months ago. My boyfriend and I ignored her when she would throw herself for attention and what she was wanting. I would tell her and still do, tell her, she needs to stop screaming and when she is done screaming she can , help me with what I’m doing, or have some water, or go play with her toys. And sometimes she just DOES NOT LISTEN. DOES NOT STOP SCREAMING. And I do have to raise my voice so she knows I am being stern.
& Another thing is , you always want to make sure your child is looking you in your eyes when you are diciplining them .

Best thing to do is ignore her, no eye contact, no talking, simply ignore her.

My son started this (3 yrs old) after we left our home with his Dad. Dad was never home or involved with our son. My son only has pics that he was there now and then. BUT I let him get away with everything trying to struggle as a single Mom. He started with those tantrums when I was in the kitchen doing dishes. Filled one of those Tupperware short cups filled half way with cold water and poured on his head. Took 3X and he stomped to his bedroom. He had his Dad’s temper. too which didn’t help. Mopped the kitchen floor went into his bedroom with a towel. OK now want to tell me what you wanted nicely? Gotta get this in control. If that tendency is there you will have more in the future. It was a constant challenge as he grew older and hormonal changes.

Oh next tactic for your kiddo,is grocery store in public!! The store I shopped knew me so I left him throwing his fit cause I didn’t get what he wanted. People were staring at him and I was right around the corner watching. When he was done and realized I was not there he panicked. I came back, did not buy the item he wanted. I did next time when he was good.

Don’t reward bad behaviour, I have a similar issue with our near 2 year old son… He packs tantrums on a regular, I just make sure that the area is clear of anything that he could harm himself on by accident, once I am satisfied he is safe I leave him to it and carry on with what I was doing… He soon realises that I ain’t paying attention then comes to me for cuddles and the world is once happy again… Its just what toddlers do, they are testing their boundaries… If you know for certain that they ain’t hungry, thirsty, needing a nappy change or just tired then ignore their tantrums…

1 Like

This fake
Read wording in post

Dont give her what she wants. She is training you she acts out you give in. There has to be consequences for her actions. Time out a naught chair a corner. Stay consistent

Create a calm space for her, maybe a bean bag chair, one of those calming water bottle things. Explain to her that when she’s feeling angry she can go sit in her calm space till she feels better. Tell her it’s okay to feel angry, but that it’s not okay to hit, scream & throw. Punishing her for her feelings won’t help anything & while yes you may be punishing her because of her actions while she’s angry she may not understand that.

My son is 17 months and he has an ear piercing yell 24/7 some times we put on headphones and just ignore him lol