How to cheer up someone who has dementia?

So sorry that your mom is going through this

My dad used to like to play with my zippers and snaps and hoodie ties. Maybe one of those childrenā€™s books that has those things in it. He also liked coloring books. He was just going back to childhood. And I also just agreed with things he said. Sometimes he thought I was his mom or teacher, etc.

2 Likes

I would remind her of the stories she has shared with you. Pick her up take her for a ride, sometimes getting them out and about is good for them. Pamper her make her feel special and loved. My little lady has early onset of dementia. We have books of pics and stories she has told us. We show them to her to help her remember then she lights up as she tells us more of the story. Anything to keep her talking.

Does she like to hear music or books on audio or on phone? This might help her to listen :headphones: audiobooks :relaxed::+1::pray: Take them on picnic :basket: in park trips to store to pick favorites foods or treats. Hope this helps youā€¦ Get them involved in something to get their mind going :+1::+1:

I am very happy for contacting Dr oghenegueked who helped me get my ex husband back from another woman after 3 years of separation. I am very happy because I never believed in spell casting and contacting spell casters to solve my problem but after 3 years of separating from my husband being single, I had to contact Dr oghenegueked after I read about him online and how he has been helping people. I am very glad I did. My husband came back to me within 48 hours, begged me and the kids who needed their father back with them and I am very happy. I found this man through testimonies that he can solve pregnancy and love problems that is why I contacted him to help me and within 48 hours my husband came back home and we are living happily together. His email is [email protected] or Whats-app number on +2348131181228
Redirecting...

Itā€™s part of the disease, itā€™s called failure to thrive. Ritalin or something similar can be ordered to take and should help some.
Make memory boxes. Decorate them with patterns and colors that are bright and cheery, put a few things inside from her past (not recent past) ā€¦ old photos, a card, a hairbrush or hair clasp , pearls.
Play music from her era. It could be jazz, gospel, country, early rock and rollā€¦ play something from her younger days from each genre until you notice one she likes.
Some like baby dolls. A baby blanket, a stuffed animalā€¦ emotional support dog , or cat .
Thatā€™s the thing with this disease, thereā€™s not a one size fits all. We have to keep trying over and over with everything until maybe something reaches them.
I highly recommend the use of a stimulant to treat the failure to thrive. I also recommend never attempting to reality orientate.
Whatever her reality is that day, should be yours as well .
Hope these tips help :heart:

Read to herā€¦ Sing to her

This is perfect for Joe Biden!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to cheer up someone who has dementia? - Mamas Uncut

We took my husbands grandma out to dinner. We had convos and she said she didnā€™t remember certain people. I said. I donā€™t remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Gave her my sunglasses and got lost on the way home because none of knew the exact way. Made an adventure out of it. Best time ever with that woman. Sheā€™s gone now but the memories are there.

2 Likes

Music is great for people with dementia!! Most of the time you will see their eyes light right back up and theyā€™ll sing with you!
Iā€™m so sorry she and your family are going through this!

1 Like

Do a family collaboration with photos, her favourite songs, movies, etc. Eating wiseā€¦have more gatherings (or FaceTime/Messenger dinners). That way she eats to participateā€¦.even a broth so she feels included. Lots of background music, full body massage so she doesnā€™t lose the feeling of touch. Encourage generations to write to her daily (snail mail), any kind of interaction is good to keep her active.

3 Likes

Music and my dad liked car rides to places he loved to go to when he was younger.

1 Like

Interactive pets are great for people with dementia. All her favourite things. A book of her life with pics

My nan whom I looked after before going into care loved old movie she may not have known my name but new every lyric to an Elvis song. Itā€™s the little things routine helps as well.

Make a memory book of old pictures as itā€™s the short term.memory that is going chat to her about the past. Make her small snacks so she eats little and often. Get her into a routine of sleeping at night. Make sure she is encouraged to drink donā€™t leave drinks next to her as she will forget they are there and qont drink them. If need to talk dm me as know whT went through with my.mum plus worked with people with dementia

Arts and crafts, coloring pictures together, putting together a photo album of older photos to new, crossword puzzles or word finding according to her needs. Just a couple ideas that we used with my grandmother. :heart::pray:

Play music she likes or used to listen tooā€¦
pull out old family picturesā€¦
find games she once playedā€¦
if she liked to cook, try to get her interested in that but when done remove the knobs on the stoveā€¦
Depending on how far along she is, she if she will talk about her something in her life that brought her joyā€¦
Take her to a park and let her people watchā€¦
Kiddie Puzzlesā€¦
Although she isnā€™t how she once was, still talk to her even if she doesnā€™t respondā€¦
Still include her in thingsā€¦
treat the person not the disease

The last taste bud to go with dementia is sweet. So maybe buy her some of her favorite sweets

Iā€™m sorry, dementia is hard to work with. A book with fun times with family, good memories. Have a routine,

Listen to her favorite songs, dance with her even if you gotta dance slow if shes able. Coloring, puzzle games, paint her nails, get her hair done, bring her to small places like out for ice cream or a stroll in the park, etc.

You can get her one of the reborn dolls. They are the size and weight of a newborn baby. You can customize however you want. They are great for dementia patients

Music is a great memory trigger

4 Likes

Play music she likes and start dancing with her also buy her some baby dolls

1 Like

Read psalms 91 with her every day.

1 Like

She needs some activities!! Easy ones. Go to the dollar store, get a few wooden boxes or whatever to paint with her. I did this with my grandmother and my daughter helped her do it. Card games. Try to learn what she played with friends. If she can still do this, help her cook a meal (spaghetti was our go to).

1 Like

Music from her youth. Or her favorite songs when younger.

Ask her: Mam, tell me about your entire life; start to now. What was it like for you growing up, what was the world like through YOUR eyes/mindā€¦ What were your parents and grandparents like? As a child, adolescent, young adult, middle age, now. Tell me everything youā€™ve always wanted to tell me or teach meā€¦ and record all of it that you can when she does. These will be priceless family heirlooms.

1 Like

I am a CCA, and itā€™s part of the disease unfortunately but Iā€™d recommend teddy bears, baby dolls, photo albums, give her piles of face cloths to fold or simple chores, a talking buddy can help, animals, old timey music, old timey black and white movies and dancing, puzzles, lots of colorful things to look at on her walls, jewelery, some blush and lipstick, getting her nails painted, hair curled and done up. :heart: - Iā€™ve worked with hundreds of dementia patients. X

4 Likes

I have heard about people buying real looking babies for people with dementia. I found some on Amazon. These babies look and feel lifelike. You can get one for around 50 bucks. My grandma used to hold babies all day longā€¦she has like 12 grandkids so there was a good chunk of time where she always had a baby to rock and hold. It makes sense why they would find comfort in such a doll. I think that this would be worth trying. Outfits can be found cheap at second hand stores and a couple of diapers for ā€œchangingā€ would also help.
I think most elderly people with dementia would find comfort in caring for a doll like this. Good luck!

1 Like

She sounds more depressed,spend as much time with her as you can,praying for you all.

1 Like

Make her a photo album. With memories, most importantly pictures of her family. Take her places she loves. Make her meals she loves. Interact with her often, but let her rest when she begins to get tired or starts to appear agitated. I am a nurse who has worked with dementia patients for years. Best of luck, and if there is any medication the doctors have prescribed make sure she is taking it, and only as directed. Good luck xo

1 Like

Just be there for her No matter what . And listen to her . It is so hard but just be there

1 Like

Not every dementia person is the same ,

2 Likes

My grandmaā€™s condition was well advanced and my mum was her primary caregiver. Listening to music was very refreshing for her, especially in the final few months.

1 Like

Take her out to her favorite restaurant or farmers market?

1 Like

Her favorite placesā€¦ take her there!

Photos of family, books, logic puzzles for her to work on with someone. Helps keep her mind sharp. If she isnā€™t eating much make the food sweet or very high alert. Sweet is the last taste to go. When talking to her donā€™t say "remember " that word can actually trigger them. Use words like This, you did, we didā€¦

2 Likes

Growing up with a great aunt same thing when cheering them up you need too do with something they remember or seen a bunch of times.
Her not eat and losing weight is the sundowner stage prayers for you :pray:

2 Likes

Bring in old photos, therapy dog, baby dolls ask her about her lifeā€¦ If she is having a really clear day I recorded my g-ma stories I still listen to them now :heart:

Music. I canā€™t stress this enough. Iā€™m a in home CNA. Music from her era. Triggers so many memories that way. Just try keep talking to her. She already feeling alone. No reason to leave her alone. Give her her favorite things. Especially food. An old dish she used to cook. Good luck. Itā€™s hard to know what to do, cause each person responds differently. Just try and keep her happy and smiling. Good memories to make. Get lots of photos. Something I wished I had done with my mom.

1 Like

I work in a retirement home for dementia residents and we try to keep daily activities like arts and crafts, puzzles, going through their own photo albums, music, for some we give a baby doll it sounds crazy but does wonders. Also taking them out to places that they might enjoy

1 Like

Take her places, do stuff with her, let her sit outside and enjoy the weather before it gets too cold, give her small odd jobs to do, even if you have to redo it later.

3 Likes

Itā€™s nice that she recognizes her kids, so I think I would try focusing on that and little memory games. Like if anyone plays the piano, play the piano for her, have her sit and fold wash clothes and tell stories as much as she remembers. Thereā€™s something about folding the little clothes that give their hands and mind something to do, it helps them focus even just for a few minutes and process what is going on.

1 Like

Remond her of what to do all the timeā€¦ they forget to eat so help them eat teach them like a kid and they will follow. Same as the other things that she needed to do.

Take her places. Get her out of the bed

Take her out and talk about the good times and they love dolls they think itā€™s there baby my mum use to love holding her dolls and they love pets cats or dogs good luck there the best :100:

3 Likes

Music. Her favorite musicā€¦ I have about 5 years working in long term memory care-skilled nursing facility, music has a way of reaching within. While there isnā€™t much you can do to slow the progression, there are some things that bring that little sparkle of light back into your loved oneā€™s eyes. Their favorite music :green_heart: Prayers to you all :pray:t2:

6 Likes

just talk talk about anything and everything. if she talks about past in convo. just listen.music

My great aunt had dementia when I was 10, she fell in love with one of my baby dolls and kept it with her all the time.

2 Likes

Music, photo albums, stories-from everyone about anything she can relate too. Ask any dear friends that want to stop over to please do so. Get yourself enough rest. Been where you are and know where this goes. Just try for quality of life. I would definitely reach out to social workers involved in her case. They have an wealth of knowledge that they can give you. I know this is hard and unbelievably overwhelming but your kind spirit will help. Sending hugsā™„ļø

Iā€™m going through the same, I will keep You and Your Family in my Prayers

1 Like

Make her a photo album of the family and friends she loves and put their names under them to help keep her memory going. I also got my dad his fave treats, memory card game and dominoes just to play with. You can also get her some movies or music to relax and enjoy.

Music and dancing in the kitchen or anywhereā€¦I learned when I was close to death from cancerā€¦LAUGH

Look up the benefits of
Giving a dementia patient a baby doll, it really helps.

My grams has dementia its so hard . What we do is take her for rides in the car when she is having a rough day or i take her for a walk just getting out is so helpful especially when they are fidgety and i dont know what state you are in but we give her delta 8 syrup or gummies at night before bed it helps her to relax and sleep well. I hope this helps

My favorite grandma had it too and loved with me her final years. Just talk to her, play games she likes, give her weed for her apatite, trust me itā€™s the healthiest way to get her to eat. And take her places with you whenever you can. Ask her questions about her life and childhood or ask her about her favorite memories. I learned so much about my grandma and we made great memories in her final years.

1 Like

A little dog. My brain is also compromised. Going places/being busy is sometimes really hard/confusing for a person with compromised brain. I guess that may depend on the prob/disability tho. My little Bandit always cheers me up. Hes a chiweenie. Also if shes EVER HAD an animal she was close to get her a CUDDLE CLONE. They are very much like the animal that they are made like its really neat. Idk i :cupid::cupid: sleeping with my clone so much

1 Like

My grandpa had dementia that turned into Alzheimerā€™s and he liked walks, car rides, and he fell in love with my daughter when she was born. He also liked sitting outside. Prayers sent your way

1 Like

We took our family member on outings in fresh air flowers nurseries zoos picnics do some painting free her mind

1 Like

Sounds like she is at the end of life. Iā€™m sorry to hear this. Iā€™ve noticed at my work (I work for hospice) older pictures of them and their kids weddings and stuff really make them happy

Music from her generation. Music is a must. They love it. Even when they canā€™t recognize you, they know their music still. Just try it.

2 Likes

We had family photoā€™s all around the room and weā€™d also have photo albums ā€˜lying aboutā€™ for her to pick up, the best thing that got mum back to ā€˜mumā€™ if only for a short while was music, she eemembered the words to her favourite songs and laughed and cried, it brought her back to us. We played 2 of her favourite artists at her funeral ā€˜Glenn Millerā€™ & ā€˜Barry Whiteā€™ā€¦ I send my love & deepest respect to you all, I have been on your journey and it is a hard one. Best wishes and God bless. Xx

1 Like

Maybe look into those reborn baby dolls. They are kinda expensive. I know it sounds funny but I heard they work well to help with Dementia/Alzheimerā€™s. I also wanted to let you know how strong and amazing you are for trying to make her life better.

1 Like

Talk to her doctor & see if they suggest new meds. Talk to her case workers as well. Theyā€™ll have resources you can look into.
Other than that, family therapy for the kids. Caring for dementia sufferers is exhausting. Itā€™s heartbreaking.
Try to talk about good memories, show her pics from her childhood, if she has any. Music she loved. Favorite foods or smells.
Sheā€™s probably depressed & lost within her mind. Itā€™s not personal. Sheā€™s sick, lost, confused. As hard as this will be for you, itā€™s 100x harder on her. :pray::heart:

2 Likes

Play.music from her youth

Shutterfly photo albums are so easy and come out so nice that might be a nice thing to give her to help with memories

Hello! I am a caregiver for dementia patients. Music definitely helps! Sitting outside to get some fresh air and pets do good for dementia patients. Some of my clients have also enjoyed painting, showing pictures, bringing around babies also helps them cheer upā™„ļø

2 Likes

Some type of pet. Being around children. Music. Hobbies she used to enjoy like gardening/cooking/art/playing games. My clients enjoy board games, going on walks, going to the gym and swimming or walking around the track. Gardening, helping around the yard. Getting her hair & nails done. Start her on a routine that is predictable and daily so she doesnā€™t feel like sheā€™s out of her mind. Children always bring so much joy to my clients. Like going to a park and watching them play if you donā€™t have neighbor kids etc. also everything in the house is labeled. And there are pictures everywhere of everyone. She loves looking at pictures of everyoneā€¦ even down to her hair stylist and mailman etc.

My mother passed away last year, I learned that you never correct her, often just go along with it ( I was still an infant many days to her, she often called my son my brother name) they tend to go back in time when they were the happiest.

1 Like

Music from her teenage years

3 Likes

First off get some carers in they will give you all some much needed rest as well as giving you and mum support and ideas to help her get through the day, some things in the meantime photo albums old music/movies there is also a lot of evidence that suggests dolls are good for woman with dementia you could get different outfits for it and little basket ect jigsaws a few of mine actually like looking at there photos on video with music, xx

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry; I lost my Mama to dementia just 4 months ago, I know what you are going through. If she is able, take her for car rides or just sit out in the sun for a few minutes. Play her favorite music. Give her anything she is able/willing to eatā€¦even if that is ice cream for breakfast. Enjoy whatever time you have leftšŸ™

5 Likes

Iā€™ve always heard to play music from their time and baby dolls

1 Like

You are lucky to have a large family that can all contribute to helping her. Would suggest you look into homes for dementia patients as they watch over patients and prevent them from wandering off and getting lost. Also your sister could probably live with her. Medicare would also pay for part of this.

Take her out for lunch once a week where she loves to go. We did this with my great gma. If she wanted a chocolate malt and fries we didnā€™t careā€¦ we let her as long as she was eating

1 Like

Little things make them the happiestā€¦

Buy her her favorite flowers, or buy a board game family can sit down and play together to keep her mind moving.

1 Like

Prayers and strength. Donā€™t argue, reminisce. Share pictures and memories. Itā€™s very tough. My best friend also has dementia. It hurts

1 Like

try getting her a companion, like a reborn baby doll. she may be lonely because she misses parts of her life that she isnt quite aware have passed.

Look for dementia activity blankets.

Music and familiar places would be a good idea. Hard as it is getting her out with busy lifestyles, it would help/

So sorry. Prayers for your precious Mother

Should try and keep her on a normal sleeping at night pattern , instead of all day . Play old music that would have been around in her day . Take her to places that she would have visited lots before her memory loss .

If she can walk, try walking around with her even if inside. If you have flowers show them to her. Try looking through magazines or books, maybe read to her. Smile at her and talk to her even if she doesnā€™t talk back. These are some of the things I did with my sister and also my husband.

Music. Make a play list of all of her favorite songs throughout the years. Donā€™t ask her if she remembers any of the songs or prompt her in any way, just let her listen. It may perk her up a bit. Maybe go for rides along old familiar routes that she may have enjoyed in the past. Maybe go out for coffee/tea, or lunch.

My neighbor had dementia. He has since passed away. I actually bought his old car. He thought it was still his. He would occasionally pop over to ask if his car was in the way, or if I thought he should move it. I always just told him that it was fine where it was, and thanked him for letting us borrow it. He was such a nice man. Seeing his decline was heartbreaking.

Find songs/poems she liked as a child and play them for her, baby dolls are also a big help! Crafts/painting, puzzles, walks and car rides! Even just sitting in the sun. As for eating, let her eat whatever she wants, if all she wants is junk just let her eat it! I suggest getting some boost drinks though so she does get some vitamins!
Iā€™m so sorry she is going through this, it breaks my heart, dementia is a terrible disease.

Play her favorite music, ask her to dance, talk about anything that she can remember that brought her joy at any time, randomly cook her favorite foods, do a makeover or a new outfit, read her a book she loves or a new one she might enjoy

Give her a baby doll as her baby. They love that

Music, food, happy faces

Photo albums with lots of pictures. Ask lots of questions try not 2 make them feel bad for not remembering. Unfortunaly not much u can do.

2 Likes

Play music she enjoyed when she was a teenager or young adult. If she liked to dance and can dance with her.
As you age you loose your taste buds. The last one to go is sweet. Try adding a bit of sugar or bit more seasoning to your cooking. The baby doll worked. Offer her simple 5 piece or even 1 piece shape puzzles. A basket of towels or baby clothes to fold.
Have her help with stirring or mixing when you cook as long as ingredients are not hot. Have her do simple cutting of soft food with a plastic knife. Old time tv, walks . Pet visits, babies

2 Likes

Maybe you could do her nails? Make a little spa day out of it. I use Color Street so there is no need for dry time and they will not smudge. Super easy to apply.

I used to work in care music is amazing especially if you know her favourite songs lots of dementia patients also like baby dolls :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Reborn baby dolls! I know people who works with dementia patients and those babies help brighten their day!

2 Likes

Sandy Hartgers, Cindy Pothoven

Iā€™ve herd a baby doll really helps like one of those realistic silicone babies there more science behind it then I know but basically it gives them a purpose again

I used to show my Mom picutres of family on my phone and I would show her videos of her Great Grandbabyā€¦she knew them as she would light up and just glow! She would try to reach for rhe phone and have the biggest smile! Thats how I knew she still knew us in her own wayā€¦:heart:

Try playing music she liked when she was a teenager, that is one of the most impressionable periods for music in our lives.

2 Likes

Time and forgiveness, as much as ya can possibly handle, and my grandparents loved looking at old photos and listening to family talk about them and memories we shared.