How to cheer up someone who has dementia?

Her favorite music. From her time. Do her nails and toes.

1 Like

Old photos albums. Take her on short drives if you can. Music.

Since your family is so large and close, how about a nice big family meal? She might enjoy it and you guys would have a lasting family memory

1 Like

Ive worked in a nursing home (Memory Care Unit). Sensory projects/blankets, keeping low music in the background that she loved in her prime time. Also finding engaging mind games does help some so, crosswords, word searches, math puzzles, soduko etc. Regularly moving or exercising in any way thatā€™s possible. Pet /animal therapy methods work for those who spent their life on a farm or insane love for animals. You almost want to target what they enjoyed doing in their prime to keep the mind engaged as long as possible. I also highly recommend a family scrapbook so although she may someday forget your name, she wonā€™t forget the faces that she gets to flip through and look at. :heart::heart: If she is going down hill start planning ahead just so its not too sudden. Dementia/Alzheimers claim some of the best people.

1 Like

I work on a dementia unit. Music or dance therapy using music she would have listened to in her younger years. Activity with baby dolls helps a lot. Activities that would keep her busy but also make her feel like shes doing something important like baking or folding laundry. Coloring is also a fave with my residents.

Get her adults coloring books and colored pens.

1 Like

My friend is caring for her mom with dementia and she got her mom 2 baby dolls and a puppy. She is all smiles. Hope you can figure something out.

I work with patients with dementia and alzheimers(wrong spelling). One is their medicine correct. There is a medication along with a depression med that helps. I have a patients thatā€™s 91 and she is doing amazing. They love music, baby dolls, make a photo album of her and husband then kids with spouses an their kids, put birthdays and anniversary in it that helps alot. Have alot of family time and phone calls. If possible get her a little dog that will keep her company.

1 Like

Thereā€™s these real like animals that you can get and babies also and apparently they make a huge difference. I also just want to say Iā€™m so sorry that your going through this. Itā€™s one of the worst things to watch a family member go through.

I would have her seen by her doctor and start medication. My grandma started out the same way and once she started taking the proper medication, sheā€™s been doing extremely well.
Best wishes.

Dementia patients often suffer from depression. Please see if a lower dose type depression med may help her. She also needs sunlight and activityā€¦:pray::heart:

1 Like

Music of her era may help cheer her up & bring back memories

3 Likes

Get her to watch game shows and tell her to challenge the players. When she is right reward her. Get her to count change or paper money. Anything to keep her mind on focus.

i would get out her old picture albums and look at them with her

1 Like

also get a color book and color it with her

My dad had Alzheimerā€™s but retained his love of music throughout. One year, for the holidays, I made him a cd of songs he would sing to my sister and I or played in the house when I was a kid. When he was in assisted living my mom told me he would play that cd almost every day.

3 Likes

I have no experience, but what about a pet? A calm one that would stay by her side.

Take her for rides if mobile to places your dad and her would go to. Play music she grew up with. Family get together with stories.

I know the feeling too well

Music! Play the music she loves!!

Get her a life like baby doll and some newborn diapers and onesies

2 Likes

I got my mother in law a soft baby sized teddy bear to hold and talk to. It helped for awhile.

Prayers for your family

Get your mother into a day programme.

• Your sister needs to start transitioning into her living situation, without you mother. Sheltered accommodation, her own apartment, etc.
    I used to do Homecare. We were paid to do meal prep & sit with them, while they ate it. They donā€™t have the stamina or memory for everyday tasks.

Sunshine! And a doll. I know it sounds crazy but get her a doll

My dad had dementia and was in a home the last year of his life. My husband and I would go out every night after work and sing old church songs. All the patients loved it.

Play music she used to like. Music from her youth may cheer her up. Outside time for fresh air and sunlight.

Music helps with dementia I read somewhere.
And my grandmother always brightens up when some of her favorite type of music is on, so I have to agree.

1 Like

I have years of recreation therapy working with seniors who have dementia or Alzheimerā€™s and here are some of the things I used to do with them: create a photo album with pictures of family or vacations making sure the people and places are labeled with larger printing and use it to reminisce-although it may seem repetitive for you it will not be for her; spa day (have her soak her hands in warm, soapy water, dry them off, file/clip her nails, paint her nails using Quick Dry nail polish-thatā€™s the actual brand and it dries extremely quickly-then give her a nice hand massage with cream); play her fav music and maybe sing along; read her the newspaper or short stories. The other thing I would do is try to make them feel like they were helping me so I would get a small basket of towels and ask them to help fold it. I hope these ideas help. Good luckšŸ˜Š

1 Like

I was a social worker and have experience working with patients with dementia. First off talk to her doctor about medication for her depression. then do activities with her such as crafts or things that would help with her memories like a memory box with old picturesā€¦ in regards to her not eating there are medication s that help with increasing her appetite. Also take her out for walks if she is able. Exercise is very good for her. And when she forgets things and you try to correct her if she becomes agitated donā€™t continue to correct her. Because it will cause her to keep being agitated. You just have to go along with her. I know itā€™s hard but it will be ok. God bless you and good luck

I retired a couple years ago, LSW on dementia unit. These are very good suggestions. May I suggest holding hands when you talk to her. Gentle touch is a powerful communication tool. Get at eye level. She may enjoy watching puppies, kittens or children play, if she does enjoy it good. If it appears to stress her take it away. She may enjoy sitting in the kitchen when someone is cooking, that may be a familiar environment for her. If she is a religious person, you can say The Lordā€™s Prayer with her. I was always amazed at how many people remembered the prayer and old hymns.

One of the dementia patients that I took care of just loved babies. I would take my iPad along to his home and if he was having a sad day I would ask him if I should pull up laughing babies? It totally brought him out of his depression.

My mom is 65 and is the same. I wonder if there are any daycare programs that her and your sister can go to a couple times a week? We have several but my step dad hasnā€™t taken advantage of them. I know my mom is upset right now because grandkids are older and busy. Finding a hobby or forcing conversation such as a adult daycare may help give her someone else to look at or talk to.

I am so sorry. One thing to try is music. Find some you know she liked. Sometimes they remember and enjoy it so much.

Show family pics and movies often,talk about memories, dance, sing, try making her laugh on a daily basis,tell her you love her at least 10 times a dayā€¦ Things like this will helpā¤

I used to work in a nursing home, people would maybe once or twice a week bring in their dogs the patients parked up and loved to hold and pet them, maybe a pet would helpā€¦

Take her out for a manicure and pedicure. Then another day her hair.go places movies, out to lunch. At home play her favorite movies, play cards, board games. Get creative. My mom had dementia itā€™s hard, I know.but making her feel loved and still part of the family is important. Going through photos is a good idea. Having her tell stories of the past.

Help her to remember ā€¦talk to her help her remember old times and what she used to be ā€¦sometimes it helps things not go away so fast

If its hard for her to eat. I use to blend my nana food. Like, veggies and fruits and sometime soft meats. We also learned that if she drank gatoraide her memory seemed to be better. Get her to talk about things in her past. Because the past is what they remember the most.

Music from her generation, stuff she sang to all the time

1 Like

Record her when sheā€™s alert and ask her to tell stories of her life before yā€™all and with yā€™all. These would be memories yā€™all can cherish

Music. Play her favorite songs and get her to dance even if wiggling her toes and swinging her head. Let her watch her favorite tv show over and over. Sugar. sprinkle some sugar or pour honey on her meals/ let her dip things in it. even on veggies/meats etc just a little on the plate to mix in. Pictures. Have pictures of her when little, her parents, siblings, childhood home, maybe have remind her of paintings, furniture, quilts, toys etc that takes her back. Activities. put easy puzzles together with her, coloring books, dress baby dolls, Whatever stage she is in think toys for that age child. Massages. give her rubdowns with lotion on her hands, feet,or back, brush her hair. play princess(hair and makeup). Fresh air. outside walks if able, sitting if not, watching nature, picking flowers, listening to birds, drive around the country or any old homeplaces. Give her a potted plant/flower to take care of Communication. let her talk about olden days, let her call you by her sisters name and go with the conversation, her childhood stories when in that moment and you and your siblings childhood stories when aware of this moment. for you to cope: Beware of ā€œsundowningā€ phase and keep her occupied during that time. Try baths, saunas, oils, etc. Stay with a routine every day as much as possible. Be patient but give yourself breaks to absorb your own emotions. Live in the moment with her. dont stress about what will happen next few hours. Prayers to your family.

Maybe some activities would help? And just putting some snacks or cut up foods around her while she has her activities may help her

Ask her to tell you srories of her youthā€¦ And write them downā€¦ Or record them to write down laterā€¦ It was hard to watch my grandmother go through this. It eventually took her.

I pretend we are going to get a manicure / pedicure with my clients who are ladies . Take a tray and set it up and clean and polish nails . I also wash and style their hair .

How about the restrictions Baby dolls?

Music is sometimes helpful

Music soothes very well.

I have learned most times older people w dementia have a lot of memories of when they were younger or when there kids were younger! Try talking about her childhood or your childhood with her! I loved talking to my grandpa about my moms childhood when I would visit him! Itā€™s not easy but anything to see them smile just a little meant everything to me

Look at photo albums, take walks, take her to see friends and have friends visitā€¦keep a regular schedule for her

Local support groupā€¦helpful

I worked in memory care my whole adult life. Pictures! They always go back to pictures for their memory and happy place. Itā€™s sparks pieces of their memory and makes them so happy. Also you just being there, even when they start to forget more. Every human I had the pleasure of knowing that had a memory diagnosis wanted someone there.

You have to think outside of the box of what adults like and think about what makes kids happy. Like sweets, coloring, dolls, games, decorating their room with you, music and dancing, if she liked flowers bring her flowers to smell and look at constantly, and car drives. Simple things.

Almost all of my residents came back from car rides with their adult kids just beaming with joy, and would talk about it for a long time.

2 Likes

My grandma had dementia which turned into alzheimersā€¦ I would wheel her outside to her garden on nice daysā€¦ as we took care of her at home ( where she passed away) Iā€™d sing to her Iā€™d even watch her favorite TV shows and Iā€™d even get her old photos out it made her happy reminiscing on her lifeā€¦ somedays were harder than others to cheer her up though

For one thing, I gotta say itā€™s a blessing to me that you care so deeply for your mom. That is a rare trait these days and my heart is blessed by your unspoken words. U take ā€œHONOR thy parentsā€ to heart the way we all should. Jus sayin. Did she enjoy any types of puzzles, games, hobbies? Doing these things with her could help keep her mind more focused and off her situation and help you keep the bond as well. Did she enjoy sights? Like fall colors? Christmas lights? Etc? Take her on a journey. If I were her, I know I would love just being with my kids. May God bless you richly. Iā€™m about to pray for you and your family. :heart:

My grandma has dementia and she really knows her boundaries. Such as she cant be from him too long or she has panic attacks. It helps alot to do things with them in their most comfortable environment. Try to keep them talking about their favorite hobbies, do some of them together. It helps them concentrate on a regular basis which helps improve their ability to operate tasks differently as their state worsens. Itā€™s helped my grandma alot to ask about her quilting, coloring, last tv show she watched, how was Facebook today. Easy things to reflect on and think about

When my gran was
Diagnosed we got a born again doll basically itā€™s a weighted baby it brought so much comfort for her . Flowers and pictures things that get there senses and take them back xx

Music always helped my nan, also a baby doll, or teddy bear she loved the thought of looking after a baby.

Picture albumsā€¦memory books, music, lotion and hand massagesā€¦

Get her a baby dollšŸ’ž you would be surprised how much it could helpā€¦meanwhile Tina Bass any ideas on anything else?

Play board games or bingo