How to cope with anxiety?

Basically, I’m really really struggling with my anxiety rn . I’ve had bad anxiety my whole life due to crippling childhood trauma. I’ve developed social anxiety, and it’s literally ruining my life like I’m sobbing writing this because I feel like a freak! I have been seeing a counselor for a year now, and just when I think all is ok it all crashes down on top of me, and I can’t stand myself over it. Doctors have tried many meds nothing seems to work at all, unfortunately. I’m writing in now because I’m sat here sobbing cuz I tried to bite the bullet and plan a family day out over the weekend, but with all the panic attacks, I forgot to book the tickets !! So not only am I failing myself but my little ones also I really need the advice to please anyone. Thanks in advance.

35 Likes

I get this so much and am on the same page as you!

1 Like

I don’t have any advice I can only give you encouragement …there is nothing wrong with you… all of us have unique qualities that make us individually unique and God made you who you are for a reason so stop beating yourself up because you believe you’re failed …sometimes our life takes many turns that we have no control over but if you pray and ask God to lead you he will lead you even when we’re at our darkest places in our life.,… you are a God’s favorite and his hands are upon you

15 Likes

Take the little ones to the park or go camping, to the beach or just out to buy icecream cones or a pizza and watch a movie at home. You got this.

1 Like

Keep trying therapy and meds, it took over a dozen + until I found one that worked. Anxiety meds take usually 60 days to start to see any difference. Don’t give up. :hugs:

3 Likes

Not trying to push marijuana, but if you are in a legal state, try an edible. A low milligram Indica. So many women that I know that had never tried marijuana before it was legalized have since tried it and swear by it for their anxiety and panic attacks. I’ve used it for 30 years and swear by it for anxiety depression pain, all sorts of things. Sending you a prayer.

13 Likes

Please don’t be so hard on yourself. My anxiety got so bad that when the phone rang I had a panic attack. This does not mean I’m weak. Find you a different doctor that truly listens.Keep changing your meds till you find what works. Do not give up!!

1 Like

Read I am Enough by Marisa Peer

1 Like

Don’t put too much on yourself, tell yourself that you’re doing your best, because you are, try to stay calm and remind yourself of all the good in your life and remember, no situation stays the same forever, think of the best case scenario always, you’ll find it very comforting, I wish you all the best, and I will pray for you , God Bless. :heart::heart:

1 Like

Meditation helps with my rough days. Headspace is a great app that has short and sweet guided meditations and even some SOS style ones for the really difficult moments. I also use CBD body butter and bath bombs to help my muscles relax bc I hold so much of the tension from my anxiety in my neck and shoulders and it gets painful. Might be worth it to try edibles or smoking too.

You sound like you’re doing your best and right now that needs to be enough. Sometimes it’s a combination of things that does the most good. Just gotta find the right mix for you

3 Likes

You are not failing yourself, and please don’t worry about pleasing any body else. Anxiety is a real, not imagined, illness and you need to start treating yourself with love, understanding and respect. Make yourself a priority for a time while being kind to yourself. I guarantee that your family wants you whole, rather than a holiday or a trip. Take care of them by taking care of yourself :two_hearts:

1 Like

It will get better. Try Prozac an Klopin. They work for me. Low dosages. You will get better, little by little. Be kind to yourself! Make sure she get rest. Sending Positive an Healing thoughts your way. :pray::heart:

I also deal with anxiety and some days are worse than others. Meditation really works and consistency can actually reroute the brain waves and cause less anxiety in the long run. Also, try taking Magnesium. If you eat sugary foods or drinks or are stressed, the body depletes your Magnesium stores which can help calm you. Vitamin D is also a big one that majority of us are insufficient in because most people get told to wear SPF and the sun can’t absorb into our skin due to the SPF doing its job. If you have childhood trauma, my therapist suggested EMDR. I havent started my therapy yet, but if you research it can astronomically help alleviate the pain from past and make the feelings not attached to the incident. My Dr says behavioral therapy will have more impact on the long term than medications, but I have heard some women being successful with CBD. Good luck, mama. Remind yourself you’re doing your best, because you are :hugs:

3 Likes

It is hard. Very. Remember one fact: you are doing your best. And those people you see outside, will you ever see them again? And if you do, do you care what they think? Never take criticism from someone you wouldn’t accept advice from. If after a year you are not better, try a different therapist.

I had anxiety for 45 yrs because of something that happened to me in my younger and adult life. I was put on Prozac but all it did was make me a zombie and not care about anything. Went to many counselors and it just didn’t work for me. It got to the point where I was having such bad panic attacks that it would put me into a seizure. I finally was put on lamictal it’s helped. To be honest, I still have triggers but have learned how to calm myself down before it gets to far gone. It can get better I promise! Please don’t let it take over your life. I have also listened to calming music and taking a breath and compose myself. You can get through this honey just don’t do what I did and wait for 45 yrs of long torture to yourself and family! If you need someone to talk to message me [email protected]
:relieved::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

Yep had it many times, found supplements like B vitamins, magnesium and Vit D and evening primrose oil made a huge difference, same as cutting caffeine, and other stimulants, sugar, alcohol. I use the cheap stuff, still works. Also drink water when feeling anxiety can help heaps too. All the best

1 Like

Try this when your anxiety is bad. It’s supposed to ground you and works for my children and I. When you are having bad anxiety take a moment to do these 5 things.

Find…
5 things you can see
4 things you can touch
3 things you can hear
2 things you can smell
1 thing you can taste

Yes is sounds silly. Try it once though. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Weed. Fr. I was on anxiety and depression meds for the longest time. A joint a day keeps the crazy away lol

1 Like

You are NOT a freak. Anxiety is real. Dont be so hard on yourself. Talk to your doctor, he might prescribe a lil marijuana…:kissing_heart::joy:I hear it really helps​:blush:

1 Like

Honestly I use cbd products. No THC and they work amazingly. I have really bad anxiety and have since I was a kid.
I suggest Lilly’s Bath And Beauty Products​:seedling::sparkles:

How about an emotional support animal?

1 Like

I also love Tai Chi Ch’ih. It’s super easy, takes about 20-30 minutes, and is good for mind, body and spirit. This is my favorite: Tai Chi Chih - Joy Through Movement - YouTube

Please have a doc check your vit D level…I was very very low and I took a prescription strength pill 1x per week & I have had zero anxiety for 6wks now. (Knock on wood)

2 Likes

I had a lot of panic attacks in my 20’s. I would go to the emergency room, had all kinds of tests, got on anxiety medication, still had them, the only thing that would help me was reminding myself that it is just a panic attack, it will go away. And take the kids to the park, watch a movie with them, just remember Everything is going to be okay💜

Try some CBD, I also take gaba supplements I bought off amazon and they help quite a bit that I’m not taking xanax on the daily anymore.

Have you looked into hypnosis? I know someone who had crippling anxiety and eventually found a therapist who did hypnosis. Three treatments and she was cured.

How long are you giving these medications?

I have been in the restaurant business for almost 50 years. This year I developed panic attacks due to Covid. I am trying to just face it head on. I love gojng out to eat and I miss hosting. But the crippling feeling makes me stay home. The first time I was sure it was a heart attack. My Mom dropped dead in front of me with a heart attack so I sm so afraid my kids are going to have that happen. I digress. There are meds but wanting to go is what is going to help you. So pick situations you feel comfortable with the place and people. And keep going there til you branch out. Tell your waiter. We empathize :v:

In January of last year I started having panic attacks. They were so bad, I couldn’t stand to be in my house with the doors closed, I couldn’t sleep , I couldn’t lie in bed, I couldn’t drive a car.
In the end. After multiple doctors, tests. Misdiagnosis, I found out I had Hashimotos Thyroid disease. But, nothing helped the anxiety until I tried CBD oil capsules. I know there is a bit of stigma related to it, but one 15 mg. Capsule a day started to help me in just three days.
Doctors just wanted to drug me up, until I found someone who worked in natural medicine and she found the cause.
It took a long time.
Don’t give up, and look into Cbd if possible. It also has to be the Cbd with active caniboids to help anxiety. It DOES NOT make you high, or have a lot of side effects…Praying for you!

CBT THERAPY
And ask your doctor for a GENESIGHT test

Try therapy and medicine only thing that helped me

I started having panic attacks and anxiety five years ago and basically felt the same way. I went to college studied psychology and started researching my anxiety. I’ve learned that you have to make friends with it which is weird but you don’t want to fight it. When you feel like you’re about to have a panic attack focus your attention on other things such as things that you can feel, or certain colors, pictures etc. Meditation also helps and clears your mind from all of the over thinking etc. And you’ve got to become more comfortable with facing your fears try to go around more people that you feel comfortable with and places that you’re comfortable being that way you don’t feel closed in with no where to run. Everything starts in your gut and that triggers your brain to react in fear so you can also try probiotics and other things like that, exercise, etc. All of these things have helped me cope and so far I’m 95% better a lot farther from where I used to be. I hope they help and good luck sending prayers!

1 Like

Hi both my degrees are in health and psychology, and the above suggestions are great. Meditation, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), marijuana if it’s legal in your area, etc etc. On the topic of medications, with such severe anxiety they really only work if you use them in combination with therapy. And not all medications work if there’s an underlying cause, like being misdiagnosed. For example, I have had depression for 13 years and been on and off antidepressants and they never seemed to work. Last year I was correctly diagnosed as bipolar 1, and after some research I found that certain antidepressants actually make bipolar symptoms worse. With new medication and therapy I’ve learned to manage my symptoms.

So what I’m trying to get at here is you’re not crazy, it will hurt and it’s really hard but don’t give up. There is a therapy that is right for you and it doesn’t always have to include medications if you don’t want them. Good luck.

1 Like

I dont have answers for you as I struggle with pretty bad anxiety myself. Just know you arent a freak and you aren’t failing anybody :heartpulse: I hope you find relief soon.

Lifelong issues a-z of meds. Therapy and medical marijuana works wonders.

I’ve been there too and it took me a long time but I’ve been able to figure out what works for me. Plus sometimes things change especially if you have really young babies or toddlers or you’re nursing and you’re hormones are a factor.
Personally I’ve found that if I have a panic attack say when someone is coming over. I don’t cancel. I get through the panic attack and then I calm down and I go and do as much as I can because if I don’t then I will be more afraid next time. If I do even a small thing that scares me I know I can conquer more next time!
If also makes you a bit more honest with people about it it opens up conversations or builds trust.

I’m sorry you going through this. Anxiety can be crippling. Don’t overwhelm yourself and do the little things. I downloaded calm the app. It helps me with meditation. I also started bike riding and went back to my acupuncture. I didn’t start all at once. Just did one thing at a time. But you are already on the right track. A therapist helps a lot. Just take it one day at a time. Everyday is a new day. Just tackle one thing at a time. Don’t be hard on yourself.

1 Like

Relax, take a deep breath. You’re being way to hard on yourself. Your kids love you whether you go on a family outing or not. They love you for you. Period.

You said you have had this anxiety all your life, so you can’t expect it just to go away and everything be perfect overnight.

Give yourself some credit … you tried to plan a nice outing. It didn’t work out … that’s okay. That kind of stuff happens to all kinds of people, even the ones that don’t suffer with bad anxiety.

You can try again some other time. No pressure. :slightly_smiling_face::yellow_heart:

You can’t please everyone ever.Reschedule your trip & buy tickets right away & worry no more cause we all fail.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Anxiety is awful. It’s very hard to function through it.

I feel this. I also have had anxiety my whole life and I feel like when my 30’s hit it ten folded and has become debilitating. Panic attacks, anxiety attacks. I’ve done lots of self help, counselling etc as well. As much as I have struggled I have also come a long way. It’s hard. One thing remember to give yourself credit. Don’t fault yourself for how you feel. One thing that helped me is really paying attention to my triggers. (Some days I swear everything is a trigger) once I acknowledge my triggers I feel it’s easier to either avoid or work through them. It’s all so much easier said than done. It’s every day work literally. Feel free to pm me. Just Remember don’t get down on yourself for how your feel. Anxiety and panic attacks are so misunderstood and overlooked. It makes the struggle much more harder at times.

Cbd helps my anxiety

Just breathe none of us have it together we i feel your pain no failure in this life just do overs fake it till you make it always stand tall in your light you got this

I swear a French Bull Dog helped with mine.

I aren’t sure if you have done this already but have you looked into EMDR trauma treatment. I have heard really good things about it.

Cbd helped me beyond what I would have ever thought possible anxiety wise. Just don’t buy the stuff at the dispensary’s they aren’t clean products. Buy from a tested and reviewed company. I use cbd distillery .com
You just take it at bedtime and you get really good sleep & it’s legal in all states. Good luck to you

A book called From Panic to Power if great. Start doing yoga and walk quite a bit. Force yourself. Dont drink alcohol or caffeine. This all helped me, I hope it helps you too. ((((Hugs))))

CBD oil really helps if you can’t handle Marijuana with THC(the component that makes you high) or if it’s illegal where you are…if you can handle it ams it’s legal there’s many forms you can use to help with your anxiety. Smoking, tablets, edibles, and oils. Best of luck… you are definitely NOT alone​:green_heart::green_heart:

Anxiety lives in the moments that have not happened yet.

Find a great THERAPIST!! seriously.

I thought I was having anxiety constantly thinking ahead, turns out it was “catastrophic depression” basically depression let anxiety.

And reach out to people, make new friends… message me.

And if they think you’re a freak, fuck them.

Look Up the work of Dr. Nicole LePera “Holistic Psychologist” to help heal your inner child and re-parent yourself. Shes on YouTube and just wrote an amazing book. “How to do the Work”

Maybe a support group? Also deep breathing.

Have you tried paxil? It has done wonders for me
I started taking it when I was 20 and now I’m 41.

When I plan big events, even small I make lists! As thing are done there checked off. One holiday when I thought I didn’t need a list I made some bad ass gravy, but forgot the mashed potatoes!! Who dose that?? We laughed about it all that day. Not at me, but on the event!! Give yourself a break!!

I don’t have any advice for you. But I’m praying for you. :pray:t5::heart: