How to date with HSV 2?

Hello. I was wondering if you could share my topic for advice. I am not a mother, but I have found this page to be helpful at times. I am back into dating, but I have HSV 2. What advice do others have when it comes to this and also when to disclose this information.

24 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to date with HSV 2? - Mamas Uncut

You need to talk to a dr about that.

10 Likes

Disclose the information before things turned serious but until you know itā€™s going to be serious I wouldnā€™t disclose the information or you know where itā€™s going to lead and just be very very careful

19 Likes

I think they have dating sites for STD positive people. Look into that! Good luck.:green_heart:

5 Likes

Tell the person in person and early on, and be open to answer any questions they have honestly. Thereā€™s no easy way to tell someone about it and you have to be open to the fact that they might not be okay with it. It does not make you gross if they turn you down. Good luck, I know itā€™s hard.

9 Likes

Thereā€™s a few FB support groups for HSV, those would be good place for resources and to ask questions. Also groups on Reddit. Honestly itā€™ll help weed out the losers that are only in it for sex :woman_shrugging:t2:

Lots of people have it and donā€™t even realize it because theyā€™ve never shown symptoms

17 Likes

Something like 1 in 4 adults have HSV 2.
I would tell people once you form a connection but before you meetā€¦you dont need to tell everyone as soon as they say HI

Hsv 2 is easily managed and having it doesnt automatically mean your partner will get it.
One of my ex partners had it and I didnt contract it.
Dont feel ashamedā€¦more people have it than you realise

30 Likes

I hate that this is such a stigma! I feel bad for those whom have this. Ugh. Personally if it was me I would start off being completely open and honest. The right person will be accepting. Also have you talked to your doctor about medications or anything??

8 Likes

Im hsv 1 and 2 positive bc of an ex. My current husband didnt have it and i told him in the beginning. I let him make that choice for himself. We are now married and have a beautiful 2 month old boy . :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Once you have established that the potential candidate is a love interest or you feel comfortable with them in expressing your personal business. As long as you take your medicine and arenā€™t having an outbreak youā€™ll be fine. Iā€™m sure your doctor can tell you all about it. Iā€™m really sorry that it got to you but itā€™ll wean out the ones not meant for you. Youā€™ll find your one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::revolving_hearts: be patient.

4 Likes

Hello, you donā€™t need to tell a person right away unless you get serious, if you have hsv 1 then it is a different story since it can be contracted just by kissing but hsv 2 is only if you have sexual intercourseā€¦after you tell your significant other itā€™s up to the person if they want to be with you after that but honestly hsv 1 and 2 are now very common, so donā€™t feel bad about it, also healthy meals will help you not get any genital warts in the future.
Good luck , and again donā€™t listen to the ignorant people who try to make you feel bad about it.

4 Likes

If youā€™re really into the other person, first or second date at the latest. You donā€™t want to be hurt if itā€™s a deal breaker for them, do sooner is better. Check out dating sites for it.

Be open but itā€™s not something you must disclose first date. When and if you feel it becoming serious id have open conversation possibly have some info for them so they can truly understand what it is and not just what they heard.

1 Like

Do you have sex on the first date? If so, be open on that first date and make sure that all precautions/protections are taken. If not, then probably by the second date would be a good idea so that the partner is aware from almost the start.

2 Likes

I have it and I told my partner before things got sexual weā€™ve been together 7 years and have sex regularly and he has not gotten it Iā€™ve had it for about 10 years and only had 3 breakouts and have had 4 children vaginally and none of them have it. You take medications for it everyday to prevent it or take it for 3 days to get rid of an outbreak. Not a big deal and not contagious unless you are having an active outbreak and have unprotected sex which would be stupid and painful I do not see many people doing that. Which Google says 491.5 million people live with this and if they donā€™t then they are type 1 where they get cold sores do not feel bad or ashamed about it. Just be honest with your partnerā€™s and inform them of the facts of it and what they could possibly be risking but like I said itā€™s hard to contract unless your having an outbreak and still have unprotected sex.

16 Likes

Thereā€™s medicine called valtrex you can take to prevent outbreaks. I would wait until you thought it will turn into being intimate. The amount of people infected with hsv 2 is astronomical. Itā€™s nothing to be ashamed of. I would speak to a dr about prevention and how to protect future partners.

This isnt as uncommon as you think. Lots of people have it! After a couple of dates, if you think things are moving in a good direction is when I would mention it. Be ready to answer questions!

1 Like

Anyone with HSV-1 or HSV-2 should really disclose this to any love interest as soon as youā€™re comfortable with them & kissing/sex could be happening soon.

It needs to be disclosed for HSV-1 because if you have a sore, no matter how small, it can be transmitted to someoneā€™s genitals.

HSV is so common today. A lot of people have it and donā€™t even know it because they are just carriers & never had an outbreak!

4 Likes

what is it? ive heard of hpv is that similar?

Whats hsv i heard of hpv

I know this can be tough as people can be judgemental, but know that honesty also is a trait that is very attractive to a partner, and the right partner will see you being honest as a virtue, regardless what the issue is. And the right partner who handles it well is also showing their character. So release the shame and you can start easing into saying it with a best friend or someone before a potential lover. Iā€™m sure you will find that the people who support you love you for you.

Donā€™t wait to disclose and this is coming from someone who was diagnosed during my tinder time. I tried waiting until before sexual activity or kissing and one guy I thought would literally kill me because he was horny and didnā€™t want to fuck someone whoā€™s ā€œdiseasedā€.I just get it out of the way and if they donā€™t wanna continue the relationship then thatā€™s fine with me.
I just say like btw I have this and hereā€™s some facts about it, I take my meds and Iā€™m careful. Most wanna know how you get it and I say I could have been born with it and honestly most guys were receptive of it and respectful.

I have many questions now

So hpv is warts and hsv is herpes ???

Why is there a 1 and 2

If a cold sore is hsv 1 why do they call it a cold sore why not just say everyone has herpes

Hpv is warts really ???

Why cant i understand how hpv is spread i know with sex but wouldnt u see that person warts because warts have to been removed right they dont just go away on their own right

Oh god the questions

I need a sex class again cuz we did not learn this when i was comin up

Just tell em. I have a friend with HSV and yeah, shes just honest. Hasnt been an issue yet

You should be upfront and honest about it from day one. It is the moral thing to do.

I also have HSV-2 and I would rather someone walk away before getting attached, then waiting to see if thing get sexual and then have to tell them and risk getting hurt thenā€¦

Itā€™s not always a deal breaker, but it is always better to be upfront about it from the start

Sorry i thought you were talking about a commodore pmsl

1 Like

Upwards of 13% of the population has it and will never have an outbreak honestly just be honest with sexual partners its so common

Some places you can be charged with a misdemeanor for not telling a partner before you have sexā€¦ if they truly like you, they wonā€™t leave because of it.

2 Likes

There is so much information out there. Please do your research, doctors dont know a lot about HSV. Also, join a facebook group or two or three! I also suggest looking up askingforafriend.us there are lots of wonderful information on that website. More people have it than you think, when you disclose, you might just get a ā€˜me tooā€™!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to date with HSV 2? - Mamas Uncut

As soon as a date mentions getting intimate, I disclose the information. They either donā€™t call for another date, or they do and they bring condoms. Itā€™s been years since my diagnosis and Iā€™ve still never had an outbreak, but it can be transmitted even if you arenā€™t having one.

1 Like

B open an use protection babe it is what it is after that. Prayers

1 Like

What is this you have ? Regardless be comfortable inside yourself. It is what it is but it doesnā€™t define you

Do you take a daily prophylactic, such as acyclovir? If not, you should definitely be on one. Use condoms & avoid ALL sexual activity if you are having an outbreak. Keep in mind HSV outbreaks mostly occur with stress & hormonal changes (pregnancy, periods, ect).
If things get serious &/or you decide to no longer use condoms, tell your partner.
FYI- Everyone caries HSV. If youā€™ve had the chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine, you got it. Itā€™s usually a stressful event that can trigger an outbreak. HSV 1&2 can be ā€œfoundā€ in the opposite area (hsv2 around mouth, think oral sex) and someone with a cold sore can give you hsv1 in the genital region. Most person donā€™t even know they carry it.
And cold sores can pop up anywhere on the body, like the chin, nose & forehead.

2 Likes

Oh so herpes. Heā€™s tell partner. Also because if you sharing towels or bedding etc. Easily transmitted

I would be upfront and honest on the first date. I would also be armed with education about it in case there are questions

Disclose early, use protection, donā€™t be intimate during outbreaks, and your partner can be tested routinely for antibodies.

HSV 1 and HSV 2 are strains of the herpes simplex virus. You do not grow genital warts from this virus. However, HPV, the Human papilloma virus, can cause the growth of genital warts, but itā€™s can also cause cancer. Thereā€™s enough misinformation out there, but people need to be well informed. I never knew either until I became a nurse.