How to deal with toddler tantrums?

Is it normal for a 13 month old to throw tantrums? Shes been doing it pretty offten after her 1st birtgday and im not sure how to handle it or how to help calm her! I hold her she crys! I place her down she crys! Im a first time mommy and am unsure how to assess her tantrums?

26 Likes

It has just begun! My 13 yo throws them when she doesnā€™t get her way.

1 Like

Children throw very random tantrums all the time. My niece is the queen of them. She will literally throw herself on the floor, and just scream. You could literally give her EXACTLY what she wants and she still wonā€™t be happy.

So my advice to you is to get used to it. :joy:

Iā€™m sorry, children arenā€™t always super fun(I know mine arenā€™t anyway):roll_eyes::joy:

2 Likes

Completely normal. Donā€™t give her any attention when she does it and she will soon learn that is ineffective. The more attention you give her during a tantrum the more she will think it works.

Sheā€™s a toddler they have tantrums. Sheā€™ll be okay.

Yes, but itā€™s more like mood swings as in donā€™t try to disapline it just support them. They have BIG feelings at this age and donā€™t always know how to handle them.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think smacking is the answer. I do believe in time out. First I would make sure nothings wrong. Little children cannot tell us what is wrong

1 Like

As long as my little girl can stay outside she is 1 happy camper!

I use to start saying in a almost a whisperā€¦ā€œshhhhh listenā€¦I hear something listen do you hear itā€ a d if they started again Iā€™d do it againā€¦most time it workedā€¦or knock on the wall and that would work to they would think someone is at the doorā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s freakinā€™ awful. Lol Iā€™m a second time mom and have one of each and honestly, imo I donā€™t believe the people who say it gets better/easier. ā€¦ But thatā€™s me.

1 Like

Let her be angry. She will learn to self sooth, when you ignore her.

1 Like

I think all kids throw tantrums, not too sure though.

My granddaughter is 14 months. I just try to get her attention on something else. She forgets about why she was mad.

Absolutely normal, but maybe try to teach little one to do some sign language? The basics (eat, drink, potty) will help little one express what she wants/needs :slight_smile: