How to get a toddler to stay in their own room?

I need advice from other mamas… my son is 2 1/2 and he’s been sleeping in his own room since around a year old. (started out with a crib in our room) he’s always done fine in his own room! He never acted like the transition was a problem and when we tell him it’s time for bed he runs to his room. He’s never been scared of being alone in his room, until this week… the last 3 days he acts terrified of his room and keeps asking to sleep on the couch. If u tell him no he needs to go to his bed he screams bloody murder. He still takes an afternoon nap and he asks to sleep on the couch then too. I’ve been letting him nap on the couch because his room gets pretty hot in the afternoon anyways, But bedtime I would really like him in his room. I have 2 kids, 2&1 yr old With no help during the week. Their dad is gone for work before they’re up and not home until after they’re in bed. After they go to bed is when I’m able to get the most done and I can’t do that with him trying to sleep on the couch. I just feel really bad though because he acts so scared and cries when I put him to bed. :disappointed_relieved: He’s always slept through the night too and today he woke up really early in the morning crying. My husband went in there and asked what was wrong and he told him he was scared and my husband said it was so heartbreaking because he looked terrified. What can I do to make this situation better? He has a night light, tonight I turned on the bathroom light and left it on to shine in his room so it’s not as dark in there. Idk what else to do but I don’t want my baby to be scared in his own bed. :slightly_frowning_face:

16 Likes

It’s just a phase. Both of my kids did this as well. Stay strong mamas! I know its rough because that’s my time too to get stuff done but he may be having nightmares or something and just feels more comfortable on the couch. Otherwise try laying with him in his bed until he falls asleep. Then sneak out if you can lol

2 Likes

Check for shadows… that tree limbs or outside lighting could be causing…if he had a bad dream and woke up and there were “crazy” shadows…he might have connected them to his dream and they seem real.

5 Likes

We had to do monster checks recently. And we watch how we talk to him and our volume

Maybe you could put a monitor in there. One with a camera. Idk but something is going on. Does anybody elsehave access to his room

2 Likes

Maybe he’s getting too warm? You can get him monster spray.

1 Like

Can you get a white noise machine that has a projector on it and leave the projector running? That way he has something pretty to watch if he wakes up.

1 Like

Maybe he thinks monsters r there. Search his room when he gets in bed and assure him room is clear

A phase just hang in there! Their imagination is very vivid right now. My son just went though this a few months ago. We ended up sleeping with him a few nights to help him feel safe and also made up “monster” spray (generic febreeze lol) that we would spray to get rid of the monsters! It worked like a charm and he’s back to sleeping through the night by himself in his own bed :heart:

3 Likes

Look at some of his toys in there. Is there anything scary looking that might be keeping him up? Or just ask him straight up what’s making him so scared.

5 Likes

Put a baby monitor in there and see whats going on

3 Likes

My friends kids did this they would scream when she would put them down for bed come to find out weeks later they are bedbugs and kids were being bitten at first we couldn’t see them and wondered why kids hated their room . She had to move out and buy all new furniture

5 Likes

We went through something sort of similar and called in a medium that we trust and had no issues again after she came. He started sleeping in his room that night or the night after without issues.

5 Likes

Some kids have night terrors also. Maybe let him pick out a nice nite lite or two at a store .A new blanket may help too. And lots of reassurance that hes safe !:green_heart::heart::yellow_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

2 Likes

My daughter is 6 and at least once a week we put her to bed with us and move her to her bed. She has and 8 year old sister in the same room on top bunk. The mystery will never be solved with mine I’m afraid lol

1 Like

Around 2 to 3 years of age is when your baby really attains the emotion of fear. He could’ve seen something that stuck in his head. Or a shadow that his imagination associated as scary. Reassurance and little things to make him feel safe should help.

2 Likes

Ask him what’s scary about his room or have him draw what’s scary. Try hanging blinds with curtains that would prevent any shadows. Will he still play in his room during the day

3 Likes

They go through stages where everything is scary. I used to have a bottle of water in a spray can with a picture of a monster (like in Monsters Inc). Use it as a repellent under the bed and in the closet and at windows. Good luck, it’s tough, but they do get over it.

1 Like

As they grow older…they become more aware. My 5 year old will occasionally walk around at night and say he is having a bad dream or there is a monster. Weeeeeeeh the only plus size is that he knows prayer sorts these issues. So kila siku lazima we pray before bed for sweet dreams

1 Like

My daughter is going thru this too. She just turned 3

1 Like

It could be something hes watching before he goes to bed? That might be scarying him maybe? Or it be that maybe his room needs cleansing… Try changing what hes watching or something? Then if that doesnt work maybe cleans not only his room but the entire home?

3 Likes

Never know could be something he’s actually seeing, never felt like your house could be haunted ?

3 Likes

Maybe there’s a bug or something? Has he told you specifically why his room is scary to him? Until then, you can’t really help fix the problem. Yes, kids go through stages, but fear is real. Try ti get it out of him and go from the there.

1 Like

He has seen seen something tht really scared hin n i wouldnt put him back n tht room.

2 Likes

It sire sounds as if something happened t scare him maybe say a prayer with him at night that might help him feel safe!

1 Like

For a while we let our daughter fall asleep in our room in our bed by herself and then we moved her. It didn’t last long a couple weeks. But the you could still get stuff done.

Ask him specifically what in his room scares him and remove it. If it is something like darkness… I put Christmas lights up around the window and business of my kids rooms cause they do not like the darkness. Finding something that makes him feel tough or not afraid may help as well (super hero cape/action figure, special blanket, etc.) The first thing is to pinpoint his fear and then help him find his own method of working through it. Good luck Mama

2 Likes

It’s something about the age my 3 yr old went through it as well. I have no advice though because I made the mistake of letting him sleep in my bed…

Does he have a nightlight?
Maybe let him go to the store and pick one out tell him it will keep him safe!

Have you thought about lying down with your child. Instead of bringing them into our bed, we would go and lie down with our kiddos. Maybe talk about what’s making him afraid? Just being his environment for a little bit and make it safe again.

Get a video monitor. Ask him what’s scary. If hes scared theres a reason.

2 Likes

Try a nightlight put a tv in his room that what I do for my grandson he go to sleep with the tv on

1 Like

Don’t let him sleep on the couch at all anymore and try getting him a dream catcher and explaining what it does and a night light if you don’t have one

My 2.5 year old doesn’t want to sleep in her room either. Wants to sleep on the couch. She doesn’t seem scared though and will play in her room. I’m chalking it up to a faze

I have 4 kids (9 7 4 and 11 months) we have 3 beds a toddler bed and a pack n play for them. As long as they dont come into my room I dont care where they sleep as long as they sleep. And honestly most nights atlesst kids end up in bed w us. Sometimes a couch. Let them sleep wherever they are most comfortable.

Sleep terrors are normal. Try to figure why he’s anxious…and be gentle with him

1 Like

My 2 1/2 year old always slept in her own room like a champ. Slept through the night put herself to sleep. Until May. Then she all of the sudden needed me to lay with her for her to go to sleep. Then a couple months later she stopped sleeping through the night there and acted terrified of her room. It’s August now and she’s completely terrified to even walk by her room if the door is open. I don’t understand I’ve tried everything and anything. I’m hoping she grows out of it soon kuz my bed is awfully full these days.

My daughter did the same thing she was perfectly fine then all of sudden was terrified of the dark and her closet being open. Find what scares him and work towards fixing it. Some nights you might want to lay with him till he falls asleep just to help him feel safe. Good luck

Find out what’s frightening him as this’ll give you a better clue of where to start.
If it’s monsters or similar, a spray bottle with water and a few drops of lavender, labelled ‘monster repellent’ can work wonders

4 Likes

Bring in a spray bottle of water and with some Lemon in it. Let him help u to lighty spray it around the room. Ask him if where the thing that is scareing him is. Spray that area too. Tell him the spray. Is a special type of spray. & it will keep him safe. Don’t ask him every day what is shareing him. It just makes him over think … about it. Kids go through different stages in life . So don’t over think it ur self either…

1 Like

Have you asked him why hes scared now?

1 Like

Have you asked him what he is scared of? Did he see something…a bug…anything…there must be soe explanation…

talk to him. something has happened and he needs to bring it out in the light and let you help him face it

Do you have a baby monitor in the room if so may want to move it out of the room. Heard that some people can hack into them and scare the little ones

2 Likes

Something happened to make him scared. Get to the root of that and you will be able to solve the bedtime problem.

3 Likes

Maybe curtains to get rid of shadows? And a white noise machine so he can’t hear any scary house noises. A projector for light is always great.

2 Likes

He’s only little for so long. Let him sleep in your bed and if you need to get stuff done, sneak away.

2 Likes

Maybe he sees something y’all don’t :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Talk to him about why he’s scared. Make him feel safe enough to talk to you and don’t make him feel embarrassed about how he feels.

Kids are just like us so treat them like you want to be treated.

2 Likes

Smudge his room with sage and sweet grass he is seeing something it will help give it a good cleanse start in his room and move through out the rest of the house

1 Like

What about you and child rearrange room together . Let son tell you where bed goes and search everything under bed and around it. Closet…door open or closed? Ask. Toys where does he want them? Let him chose what he wants where. Curtains open or closed? Window open or closed? Ask what he needs to take to bed with him to make him feel safe. Squirt gun? See where the water ends up that is the evil spot. I was afraid of my bed, thought snakes were under the bed. I don’t know why. Daytime was okay. Daylight I could look under and they were gone. About the same age maybe 3.

1 Like

Something scared him, time to find out what it is. Heartbreaking, good luck with your little one! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Maybe he had a really bad vivid nightmare…:cry:

1 Like

Sleep in his room one note and see what scares him

1 Like

I don’t want to judge, but I will never hesitate to let him sleep in my bed. Not all toddlers are the same, sleeping in a separate room may work to your other kids. It’s very heartbreaking :cry: I am 1 of those Asians who co-sleeps with her kid. 8 Ways Toddlers Benefit From Co-Sleeping

Ghosts
You need an exorcism about it

We had the same problem with my grandbaby and we found out she was having dreams and mtsaufgrer bought a dream chatcher and that helped in her room

Night light. Put pillows on both sides of him it gives the impression of parents with you its comforting. Get him a teddy bear and tell him that hes a magic teddy bear. Tell him that the teddy bear comes to life at night to keep him safe and if anything bad comes in the bear will keep him safe.

Have you asked him why he’s scared?

I would try and get out of him what has made him so scared to sleep in his own room, then go from there.

Put a regular lamp on a timer for him!

Did something happen? See something that made him scared?

Something in his room is scaring him ask him about it

i made monster spray in spray bottle let him spray as much he wanted after about week took bottle he never knew he just had his first baby

U see he is scared n obviously terrified…u might wanna find out why n do something about it. Poor thing…imagine that…nightmares. paranormal activity…scary movies. Etc
Something

When a child acts like that you need to listen to him …there is something scaring him and you need to find what it is. Maybe you sleep in the room with him to see if something happens …Please listen to him he wants to feel safe .

Not making jokes, maybe he sees something you guys don’t. Someone or something aka ghosts/evil spirits could be bothering him and scaring him