How to get baby to latch?

My son turned a month old yesterday. Breastfeeding has been going great till last night-today. He falls asleep 5 minutes after he latches on and it’s a struggle to keep him awake. I’m worried he will jeopardize my supply. I try everything and I constantly have to take him off and pretty much make him upset to wale him up to eat. We do 20 minutes on each side. Before this weekend he’s done good and he’s a healthy boy, from he was 8 lbs 14 oz at birth he dropped a little after birth like normal before we left the hospital and his two week check up he was 9 lbs 4 oz or so and we just went Friday and he is 11.5 lbs. we do every two hours and he’s started to stretch to 3 hours through the night on his own. I do have to use nipple shields right now because my nipples are flat and we had latch issues but we’ve been doing great. I just don’t know why he falls asleep so fast. I read it could be a shallow latch and he losses interest? I did order nipple everters so they can pull my nipple out and I was going to try without the shields and see how that worked but I just don’t know. Any tips from mommas ?
TIA

2 Likes

Watch his ears, if they are moving he is nursing. Mine is now a year old and he nurses to sleep and stays on for at least a half an hour after falling asleep. When he was a newborn I would rub his cheek if he stopped nursing to see if he would start again.

I would suggest a breast pump to keep your supply up. If you fear for your supply you can mimic cluster feeding with the breast pump which will cause you to make more milk. It might also help with your nipple situation. After I have mine on the strongest setting my nipples stick out like crazy.

Hmmm
My daughter always just ate from one side each time and only nursed for maybe 15-20 min at a time, I had TONS of milk

Baby sets the supply and it will always be exactly what they need when they need it. Feed when hungry and don’t worry so much, as long as baby is growing good then it’s enough and schedule never stick with breast feeding cause babies needs change as they grow. When it’s time for a growth spurt it will feel like all you’re doing is feeding for a few days and that’s normal. There are all these different ideas about this and that for breast feeding and it’s kinda silly to me. I fed 5 babies without all that and it was all fine and so did my mother and her mother and so on and so forth. This is the most natural thing in the world to do so just go with the flow and relax.