How to get baby to like tummy time?

I have a 3 month old boy, who absolutely hates tummy time unless it’s when hea laying on my chest.
He’s got great neck control but screams bloody murder when I try to get him do it on his playmat.
Any suggestions how I can get him to enjoy it more?

3 Likes

Try putting him in front of a mirror so he can talk to the ‘other baby’

1 Like

I would always lay a blanket down first then the play mat so it was a lil more comfortable. And then would lay in front of them so they could see me and hear my voice!!

1 Like

All my kids hated tummy time lol…I don’t think there’s an actual way for them to “enjoy” it :joy:… I guess they were less pissed off about it when I propped their arms and upper torso up on a pillow or rolled up blanket and laid down next to them to talk to them while it was happening…I have a 6 year old …a 14 month old and a 3 month old. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Good luck!

1 Like

Mirrors toys differents toys

It counts as tummy time on your chest!

1 Like

My daughter hated it too until she started rolling from her back to her belly then she got used to it and eventually enjoyed it.

1 Like

Tummy time on a boppy pillow

Him laying on your chest counts as tummy time.

1 Like

They have something called prop a pillar from target that is great! And it also will allow your baby to learn to sit as well

Put a mirror and toys in front of him give him objects to try and grasp and get his attention espically toys that light up and make sounds

Try it on the bed it’s more comfortable

Make sure you’re interacting with them and keep it short at first but do it everyday and it should get better when they see they can play and try to reach for things

My son hated tummy time. I tried putting a small round pillow under his belly n it worked for a second but then he just screamed every time I put him on the floor. don’t worry if he has great neck control. My son is now 11 months old n is always on the floor n yells when I pick him up lol

My daughter hated it too. I just kept at it for a few minutes at a time throughout the day. She’d scream but it wasn’t hurting her so I figured she’d get used to it. Once she learned how to roll the screaming stopped and she finally enjoyed tummy time.

My daughter was the same at first so we did tummy time on the bed together. Now at 4 months she’s on the floor and happy. I think she just got used to it.