How to get baby to sleep in their own bed?

For those who let babies sleep with them, when did you “kick them out” and how? Not willing to do the cry it out method cuz this child goes from 0-60 real fast. We have tried to do normal bedtime routine(bath, bottle, bed) and lay her in bassinet once she’s out a few times but she treats it like a nap and is up in 30 minutes ready to go! But when she sleeps in bed, she sleeps 6-8 hours, gets up and takes a bottle then out another 4-5. Again, she’s 4 months old.

17 Likes

I didn’t kick my kids out till around 2-3 years old.

1 Like

My oldest son is 5 and he slept with me until he was 3.5. Now I have a 9.5 month old baby and we “kicked him out” at 6 months lol

She’s 4 months old. She isn’t going to sleep through the night she’s figuring things out. Our son slept in our room in his pack n play until 6 months and then we put him in his room. A sound machine helped a lot.

3 Likes

My daughter is 1 1/2 and she still sleeps with me. She didn’t want to sleep without me either and I love the cuddles. :heart:

2 Likes

All i can say is if you want your bed back do it now, because it will only get worse. My daughter is 20 months and sleeps with her face in my armpit. Wish i never would have done co sleeping

1 Like

I’m letting it happen naturally. :woman_shrugging: He’s 14 months and he is sleeping longer in his own bed these days. He will fall asleep and I put him in his bed and he will sleep about 6-8 hours and then I bring him to my bed for the rest of the night, usually about 4-5 hours. But it took a long time to get him here. I just follow his cues. I believe they let you know when they are ready.

2 Likes

Only advice would be is keep putting her into her bassinet no matter how many times it takes & she will eventually give up & sleep in it all night.

4 Likes

My daughter slept with us until about 16 months. We tried transitioning her before that but she wasn’t ready.

1 Like

I never shared my bed with any of my kids because I have csections I put them in a swing or rocker next to my bed… and they slept just fine…

1 Like

My 2yo still sleeps with me lol been bedsharing since he’s been 4months lol

2 Likes

My son was probably about a year and a half, and I slowly started moving him farther away from me. At first, his bed touched mine. Then, a few feet gradually over a decent amount of time. It honestly took a little while, but I think it was harder for me. Hes in his own room, and theres no problems! Occasionally he comes back to my bed, but I love it!

1 Like

Still trying to figure it out with a 2 year old​:thinking::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I started at 6 months & I feed her she sleeps. Put my shirt in her crib ( so she has my scent ) an lay her down & she stays asleep.

2 Likes

We’ve coslept with all 3 of ours. We let them go when they were ready. Our oldest was with us until 2.5, 2nd child 6 months , and our youngest is still in bed with us and she’s almost 2! Our girls stayed longer. Our son was the one who phased out at 6 months , he preferred his indepenece.

I never really had this problem. My kids always slept in there own crib. They only ever slept in be with me when they were sick

Be consistent. Do not expect her to sleep on her own right away. It may take weeks to follow into a new routine.

1 Like

4 years old and still haven’t kicked his sweet little mush faced self out… In fact, he can stay forever if he wants… Ask me again tonight when I’m trying to fall asleep with a foot in my back though​:woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Oi good luck mama. My oldest is almost 5 and still is in with us half the time :woman_facepalming: he has to start in his own… but I cant lie some nights I just let him start in here and then move him over.
And my almost 2 year old is still with us. I stick him in his bed some nights.
But I swear I’m never getting them out :rofl::rofl:

My youngest still sleeps with me… she’s 6 :woman_facepalming:t2:

I moved my son to the crib when he started rolling over. He would roll into me and would wake up. When we first put him in the crib he woke up quite a bit until he got used to it. It’s just something you’ll have to work on and be consistent with!

I know all the “sleep safe” rules but most babies dont want to sleep flat on their backs on a hard surface with their arms and legs flailing around, that’s why there are. Sleep sacks, the sleep wedges and the new “womb like pillows” aaaaand weighted sacks. I’d start there. Sleeping with you is warmer and more comfy for them, they feel cuddled. Gotta find what works. Maybe dress baby warmer. Incline the bed.

You could try giving her your shirt, she can smell her mom when she’s asleep.If she has your shirt she may smell you & feel comfortable. It cant hurt to try. Good luck. If you can’t get her to sleep in her bed just remember she probably want wonta sleep with you when she’s a teenager. Lol. Good luck. They’re just babies for a short while, she’ll be grown in a blink of an eye…

Fix’s a bed that won’t feel like it it small.

Do it now my youngest lad is 11 n gets in mine sometimes still my youngest daughter is 5 n still co sleeps ,

My son was like that, he’s 5 mo now. I stopped the bassinet (now we just use it for naps downstairs) and just moved the crib to our room and he sleeps in his crib way better !

Mine was 6 months old. One night he was kicking me A LOT and I was like nope you need your own space and put him in his crib and he was good. He let me know when it was time. Did suck getting up to nurse twice a night instead of pulling boob out and going back to bed but worth it

I dunno…shes 6 now and still demands I cuddle at night in her bed, which means I fall asleep in there. I’ll let you know.

Ahh the age old question of when will i have my bed back with sleep lol my 1st was 3… My second was 7… And she still comes in sometimes… My third is 3 and he is still in with us. Depends on the kid i think. Maybe when they are teens lol good luck

I love my kids sleeping with me my 7 year old autistic boy sleeps with me and my nearly 11 month old sleeps with me and sometimes my 3 year old my 2 year old when my 3 year old don’t and sometimes I wake up and my 12 year old is at the bottom of my bed and my soon to be husband sleeps on the sofa my baby’s are mommy’s baby’s there’s no escape for me :joy:

I still have a two yr old in bed we moved his bed to our room and slowly he’s starting to sleep in his bed :joy:

My son only stayed in our room til 6 weeks cuz i have congestion issues and didn’t really wsnt to keep waking him by coughing or sneezing. I just really try to keep his days and nights different. We bottle feed in the living room during the day with tv on for noise and lots of light from the windows and bed time routines including feeding are done in his room, in the dark with white noise

My oldest was in my bed until a little after 3, my 2nd is 2 and still in my bed, so is my 5 month old

1 Like

Wait until they’re ready! My little girl is almost 1 & 1/2 and she’s just starting to sleep in her own bed in her own room, but we lay her down to get her to sleep and of course she still wakes up at night. but she’s in her own bed, so that’s a start. Go with what feels right for you!

1 Like

Our son is 4 years old… :woozy_face: and is STILL in our bed :cry: but I wouldn’t have it any other way!

1 Like

I have 5 kids. My youngest being 2. He is the first one we have coslept with and he just turned two and is still in our bed. We’ve tried to transition him to a bed of his own with no luck. I don’t like the cry it out method. We have another one due in July so I’m hoping to have him in his own bed by then.

1 Like

I layed in their beds with them til they were asleep and snuck out once I knew they were out

2 Likes

Idk. My son’s 8 and still in my bed :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Id def recomend cry it out. Dosnt last longer than few days.

2 Likes

I put my kids in a for from day 1 I never had a problem with this

1 Like

We talked to the dr pn this we Hd trouble they said when your ready to ween night feedings to sleep train them u need to allow 5 days to transition they will be sleep trained after 5 days if u allow them to stay in there bed those 5 nights u can go comfort them but u cant leave the room or next to the bed

1 Like

My son turns five years old on mother’s day and only now started sleeping in his own bed/room

1 Like

Our 4 year old still sleeps with us. And so does our 8 month old. One day my bed will be pretty empty. One day they won’t in mommy’s bed because they are a big kid. So I let them stay till they are ready to leave on their own.

9 Likes

maybe try getting a crib with a mattress like urs… my kids never liked the bassinet

1 Like

My son is 6 years old, and I still didn’t kick him out. I’m 6 months preggies with number 2, and I’m not ready yet to kick my first born. Literally since the day he was born, he slept in bed with me… How now?? Lololololol

4 Likes

Idk my son is a year old and I have been slowly “weening” him off of sleeping in bed with me for the last 6-8 months and eventually he just started wanting to sleep by himself on his own🤷

1 Like

I put my son in his own room since the day we brought him home from the hospital.

2 Likes

He is almost 9 and still crawls into bed with us. :joy:

1 Like

GL getting them out of ur bed once u start letting them . My kids 7 and almost 5 just barely a month ago went in there own bed and my oldest was 8

1 Like

My oldest slept with me until 2 and off and on until 3… My 2nd child refused to sleep with me and my 3rd… She slept with half with me and the other half in her bassinet… So she was an easy transition

1 Like

When they felt comfortable on their own… between 2-3

1 Like

From my experience once you let them in your bed they wont stop. Co sleeping actually keeps the baby for sleeping ro their full potential and yours as well. I would also suggest to crying it out. It doesnt take long and it’s worth it. By 3 months old my son was sleeping in his room in his bed only waking up for one feeding in the night.

2 Likes

My youngest will be 10 weeks tomorrow I put her boppy pillow in her bed and pull a recieving blanket snug over the top and then place her in it . she’ll sleep a few hour that way

1 Like

My son just turned 3 last month and he still sleeps with us. I just started to put him to bed in his room and around midnight 1 he comes to our room. Hoping one night he will sleep all the way through. But I don’t mind his cuddles at night. He won’t want them forever

3 Likes

A weighted blanket has really helped my boy too. Makes him feel like someone is holding him

1 Like

My little girl will be 2 in August and has been in her own bed in her own room since she was about a year old. She slept in her crib in our room from about 5 months til she turned 1. She only slept with us in the bed for a little bit off and on. We just slowly started introducing her to it, it was a fight but I just stuck it out. Now shell walk to her crib, I’ll put her in it and shell tell me bye when shes ready for bed lol. We have a 7 month old little boy who has never slept in the bed with us (only a few nights here and there). Its easier if you don’t have them in your bed at all. But if you do, you just have a fight the fight to get them to lay in their own bed and stay there. Good luck!

Let her stay as long as she wants that is Love

2 Likes

I know the feeling! I am sleeping downstairs and we turned our guest bedroom into our bedroom because I don’t like to sleep upstairs and take stairs a lot with my 4 month old. I would love to have her sleep in bed with me and keep her close but bed just isn’t big enough. Hubby would prob roll her over. Or we would get crappy sleep. But I will lay her in crib and she will sleep all night in there now but she wakes up twice for a bottle and takes a very long time to get her back to sleep in. Every time I put her down in it she would wake up and cry. I can usually get her asleep but I gotta apply light pressure to her back and chest and slowly, very carefully let go and back away. It’s exhausting. When I sleep with her in my recliner (very safe for us. I hold her in such a way facing her laying down that she moves an arm and I wake up) she will sleep hours soundly. Babies are funny. I think my little one loves my touch, smell, etc. I try to lay my girl in the bassinet and she rolls too much now. She rolls to her belly and if she doesn’t feel like rolling to her back she will yell until I put her on her back. I can imagine one day my little girl will be walking and sleep in bed with me. I love being with her all the time so I probably will never kick her out. Lol they get so big so fast.

I know the feeling! I am sleeping downstairs and we turned our guest bedroom into our bedroom because I don’t like to sleep upstairs and take stairs a lot with my 4 month old. I would love to have her sleep in bed with me and keep her close but bed just isn’t big enough. Hubby would prob roll her over. Or we would get crappy sleep. But I will lay her in crib and she will sleep all night in there now but she wakes up twice for a bottle and takes a very long time to get her back to sleep in. Every time I put her down in it she would wake up and cry. I can usually get her asleep but I gotta apply light pressure to her back and chest and slowly, very carefully let go and back away. It’s exhausting. When I sleep with her in my recliner (very safe for us. I hold her in such a way facing her laying down that she moves an arm and I wake up) she will sleep hours soundly. Babies are funny. I think my little one loves my touch, smell, etc. I try to lay my girl in the bassinet and she rolls too much now. She rolls to her belly and if she doesn’t feel like rolling to her back she will yell until I put her on her back. I can imagine one day my little girl will be walking and sleep in bed with me. I love being with her all the time so I probably will never kick her out. Lol they get so big so fast.

1 Like

Every child is different! My first slept with me until she was about 3, and my second until she was 1

1 Like

I didn’t co-sleep (too paranoid about SIDs and suffocation) but if you’re trying to transition to their own bed, having a crib wedge and putting them down when they’re super tired and turning the lights off is how I get my 3 month old to sleep. I’ve heard it gets more difficult to transition the older they get because they are so accustomed to it. But again, I’m no expert because I didn’t co-sleep. Best of luck.

1 Like

Wait. Your kid gets a bath every night? :joy:

5 Likes

Good luck once you start it’s hard to break

1 Like

My daughter just turned a year, some nights she has no problem sleeping in her crib, or pack n play, and some nights she refuses flat out to sleep any where without me. It all depends on how you and your significant other feel about it.

1 Like

Take off one side of the crib and push it right next to your bed. And in a few months when she is okay in her crib then put back the side of the crib up. After a few more months move the crib away and then eventually move the crib out of the room. It’s a process but you’ll have to be patient since they’re use to co sleeping at such a young age already.

2 Likes

Mine finally was sleeping in his bed at a year and a half

1 Like

Ugghh let me know I never did it with my older girls but fkd up with this one lol she’s 21mos

1 Like

We got our son back into his crib then we decided we missed him lol. He starts in the crib but once he starts waking up I bring him to bed with me, I take care of him alone 3 weeks at a time and when Daddy is home he has missed him so much we all 3 sleep together. He is 10 months and at 1 I want him back in his crib full time. We do naps in there and always start the night, just stay consistent and eventually they will get used to being alone including waking up and falling back to sleep on their own.

1 Like

Maybe make her basinet more comfortable to resemble your bed and a weighted rice glove to put on her back

1 Like

I have 12, 10, almost 4 and 10 months…and if they could all fit they’d probably all sleep with me still! My youngest two sleep WITH me, and my oldest two typically make a pallet to sleep “with” me. It makes everybody sleep comfortably and actually get a whole nights sleep :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

This co sleeping w your kids isn’t good they need to learn to sleep on there own.Audlts need there private time too.Let this go to long you be like my sister in law kid still in there bed at 8 years old.Very hard to break this co sleeping w kids.

1 Like

Take I side of the crib off put it up against your bed … They are with you but not. My son is now 2.5 and his toddler bed is up against my bed still bc he wakes through out the night to pee or nite terror…

1 Like

When i was ready to kick them to their own cribs if they woke up i would lay them back down, lights off, and rub their backs or bellies with my eyes closed. The lack of stimulation helps and sends a quiet message: its down time.

Mine is 4 and still sleeps with me even though he has his own bed :joy:

1 Like

We cosleep with our 2 year old and our 5 month old. Before we had the five month old the oldest was 1.5 years and had been sleeping in her own bed for about 4 months. We did the transfer method which everyone will say is totally wrong. But it does not work till your baby sleeps consistently through the night.

1 Like

My son is 2.5 and still sleeps in the bed with me like 4 nights a week. He half wakes up and pats the bed all sleepily while saying “I lay wif you mama” and I don’t have the heart to make him stay in his own bed. Lol. My 4 year old sleeps in the bed with me maybe 1 night a week. She usually doesn’t wake up at all.

1 Like

My 13 month old still sleeps in my bed & the only reason my 2 year old doesn’t is because he choose himself to sleep in his crib in his room. Is the baby in the bed a problem for you and/or your partner? (Not judging, I understand completely why someone wouldn’t like it) but they’re still little they just don’t wanna be alone. My oldest didn’t decide he wanted to sleep by himself until he was 15 months.

my daughter never even slept in her crib, she liked the big bed and dad or mom or both would sneak to another room. when she was about 4 she moved out of our room. She’s the happiest smartest and well balanced person I know. Plus when breastfeeding everything you need is right there!

1 Like