How to get baby to sleep through the night?

Any advice on getting my 11 month old to sleep through the night? She still wakes up three to four times and wants to eat. Help! I haven’t slept in over a year!

13 Likes

Sleep is developmental, they wont sleep through the night until their brain is ready.

1 Like

Have you tried cereal in her bottle?

4 Likes

Cereal in the bottle works miracles… just enough to thicken it up… all of my children were sleeping through the night at 2 months :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Was she a breastfed baby

I had to teach my sons about the difference between night and day. At night time I would change babies nappy and put them straight back to bed. I wouldn’t talk to baby and wouldn’t feed baby at 9mths old at night. If you do baby is going to fill there nappy and wet the bed.

1 Like

I haven’t slept in 17! This is normal. I left she needs a bottle or to breastfeed it’s because she’s gonna through a growth spurt

My daughter was only waking up once a night since 2months old. And is now finally fully sleeping through the night at 18months. I would give her a little bit of rice in her bottle when ahe was younger and shed sleep so great.

Have you tried just letting her cry it out? My kiddo was waking every two hours for almost a year, until I got fed up and just let him cry it out (which I hadn’t wanted to do previously). He started sleeping through the night within 3 days. If your pedi says it’s okay to not feed overnight and that she’s growing okay, go full extinction. As long as she’s fed last bottle/boob 30min before bed and is in a clean diaper, she should be fine.

1 Like

And your not going to sleep for another ! It is completely normal babies get hungry and thirsty in the middle of the night just like adults just be thankful it’s not more :joy:

My son is 3 will be 4 in December and still doesn’t always sleep through the night

My son just turned 3 and wakes up a couple times a night most nights. At 11 months, it is hard going without sleep, but you need to get up and feed her. Maybe try switching off night duty with her father (if possible). If you can, nap during the day while she naps or have someone watch her for an hour or two. Good luck dear!

1 Like

Feed her. She’ll sleep through the night when she’s developmentally ready.

1 Like

Warm cereal before bed is what my Dr said and it worked he is 44 and still loves cereal before bed

8 Likes

Feed the kid and wait it out.

Yup. You have to fill her stomach before bed. And do that consistently every night.

Gee I haven’t slept since I became a Mom that’s been 47 years sorry they will always be babies, I have five of them

1 Like

She has 6oz right before bed and eats a good dinner every night. She’s eating plenty. She’s off the charts. She’s my third and I don’t remember the other two wanting to eat all night. She’s in a crib, the room is dark, and I put her right back to sleep.

I know this is a usual response. For my daughter I do playtime, either walks or toys in the eve, then settle down with a bottle, then a warm oatmeal bath, then I turn a fan on , and I rock her to sleep for about 20 minutes and massage her face. Then tuck her in with the fan on. Every baby is different. You may have to change where your baby sleeps. Crib cosleeper what may have you. Make sure your kid isn’t getting too hot or cold in the night either and make sure your feeding him or her enough and getting gas out.

She’ll sleep through the night when she’s ready. Unfortunately it’s just a part of being a parent. 3/5 of my kids didn’t sleep through the night until they were over a year.

1 Like

And don’t do cereal in her bottle, that’s a choking hazard. Are you feeding her regular food throughout the day? 3 meals a day, and snacks? I’d look into baby led weaning, maybe if she’s eating more during the day, she won’t be so hungry at night. Good luck mama.

2 Likes

Sleep train your child. Look it up. It works!! I promise. :blush:

1 Like

My son is 3.5 and still wakes up at least once a night

Stop feeding him at night. He doesn’t need it. Sleep train.

I’m 16 months deep no sleep. :joy::woman_shrugging:t2: do whatcha gotta do

Cry out method!!! It will take 3-7 days probably longer because she’s older it’s much easier to do when they are younger

I just had my 3rd in May and she wakes up every morning like clock work from 150am tell 630am, and she eats, burps, and wants to be help, and rocked, and is wide awake tell the sun is shining bright, I haven’t slept good since having her and my other 2 never woke up after putting them down tell 7am, I’d have to wake them just to eat and they would be half asleep and go right back to bed. Each baby is different and I know it’s hard trust me but its just what u gotta do.

A steady bedtime routine did wonders for my son.

:joy::joy::joy:mine didn’t sleep through the night until the age of 4

1 Like

:joy::rofl::joy: if you figure it out, please let me know…mine is 14months! Lol

1 Like

Most babies that wake at that age still aren’t really hungry it’s more of a comfort thing for them… They associate sleep with a bottle or boob so it’s hard for them to self soothe themselves back to sleep. Make sure you’re not feeding right before bed. Also at that age they can eat more table food. Try oatmeal or bread something that will keep them Fuller longer. Mines 2.5 yrs old and still wakes up at least once or twice a night

My son was a year and a half before he stopped waking up through the night. You’ll get there, it’s just rough in the mean time. Now at 3 years, he usually sleeps at least 10-12 hours at night.

Feed on demand. Try a bedtime snack

I haven’t slept in 25, even if they sleep you still are in alert for every little noise and that’s just how it is. At that age it’s normal for them to still wake at least once a night but she will start to sleep better as she gets older but even then they can have bad nights and need mommy but as she eats more solid food it should help.

Sleep train. Maybe your letting her sleep too much during the day. Keep her awake and shorten her naps and dont let her nap too close to bed time.

I have a 3.5 Year old who still wakes up. Although there has been a lot of change recently so I think that’s a major contribution, but before the change she’d wake up sometimes at night.

My son is 8 months. He started sleeping through the night at 2 months. Make sure to separate day nap routine from night routine so that he is aware that its night time. During the day, for naps I will make him sleep with bright room, a bit noisy. At night I rock with him in the bedroom. it’s dark and quiet. That way when I put him in his crib he knows. That has helped a lot. He sleeps from 7pm to 6am. He also has a white noise sound machine in his room. You can try that. Good luck!

Switching my daughter to one nap a day has helped her sleep soooo much better through the night!! She’s 16 months now and naps from 1230pm-230pm. Also, we were told by her doctor that most babies 8 months+ wake up a lot not due to wanting to be fed but for the comfort of you. We stopped picking her up and taking her for feeds and we simply laid her on her belly or side and patted her butt and she would fall asleep that way. Took a couple weeks but well worth it. She’s 16 months now and sleeps through the night, every night! Best of luck!! :purple_heart:

My son has slept through the night since he was 3 months old. And now goes to bed at 830pm and wakes up at 1030am. Hes 2 on the 11th. And still takes a nap on his own

I dont know how, my girl was always a good sleeper. Her last feed would be at 11pm and wake up at 6.30 for the first 4 weeks of her life, after that, she slept right through from 11pm too 7.30-8am. I didn’t change her routine, or feeding times, she just started sleeping through on her own. I would actually wake up and check if she was still breathing until I got used to her sleep ins. Even now, she’s a good sleeper, bed at 8 and sleeps right through till 7am. She’s now 6 years old

Put it asleep with a sippy cup of water. Leave it in the bed with her. She can find it and drink herself. No reason for you to be getting up with her and feeding her at that age. It’s more out of habit than hunger.

I’m not trying to be an ass but maybe you should try feeding them baby food just before bed and for brakefast because I know " milk/formula for the first year only" crap is real but I’ve noticed that if you feed baby cereal/rice (baby kind not like mini wheats lol unless baby has teeth then maybe you can feed the fruit loops) and baby food/ regular food (within reason)in the morning and at night because if baby is hungry they ain’t getting enough to eat why they are getting up in the middle of the night 🤷

Sadly, I went 5 years with my 2 babies, that were 18 months apart, before I got to sleep the night through. I tried everything. I tried all the good stuff that these other people suggested and it didn’t work. I eventually stopped getting up and would make them go back to their own bed, but I had gotten awakened nun the less. It almost killed me. I wish you better luck than I had.

A nice warm bath, and a warm bottle always worked for my kids

Nursing for comfort when wakes.