How to get baby to sleep through the night?

I have a 15 month old grandson I got custody of in December. trying to figure out why he is still waking up so much thru the night. typically every 2hrs like clock work. I was thinking maybe because he hungry…so I make sure he eats something before bed. he still takes a bottle, and I know it needs to go. any ideas…

5 Likes

I’ve heard of this. My boy is only 2 months so I haven’t experienced it. But I heard of ppl giving their bby water instead of milk at night when they wake. To start training them to sleep thru the night. I’m not sure how it works. Hope you get answers!

He may have had interrupted sleep before he came into your care and developed a habit of waking. I would expect it might take some time to get used to being in a new home and stuff. Maybe a white noise machine in the background might help

1 Like

Be sure he gets plenty to eat & lots of exercise during the day. His life has probably been disrupted for a while so might take a while for him to settle into a good sleep pattern. Warm bath, lavender oil scent (calming), story, maybe soft music, keep a consistent bedtime routine, maybe sippy cup of water & a blankie or lovey stuffed toy for when he wakes to soothe him back to sleep. Bless you for taking him in.

1 Like

Try a noise machine or a fan not pointed at him and soft music to drown out noise this what we still have to do for our kids and they are 5,4&2

1 Like

My grand baby likes a little baby cereal before bed time sleeps all night

1 Like

Milk may not stay with him as long as solid food. Try to feed him an extra meal before bed. Cut back on the milk. Change will take time.

1 Like

My 19 month old son used to wake up like that too. We did what you’re doing a good meal before bed. We made sure about an hour before bed he got a calming bath and we turned on nursery rhyme videos on the tv with only one light on. Toys are picked up and put away so he’s only focusing on the tv. Then we put him down with half a bottle (4oz) and he now wakes up once or not until 730. Giving him only 4oz bc giving him more he would wake up wet now he doesn’t.

1 Like

My 19 month old son used to wake up like that too. We did what you’re doing a good meal before bed. We made sure about an hour before bed he got a calming bath and we turned on nursery rhyme videos on the tv with only one light on. Toys are picked up and put away so he’s only focusing on the tv. Then we put him down with half a bottle (4oz) and he now wakes up once or not until 730. Giving him only 4oz bc giving him more he would wake up wet now he doesn’t.

Try noise machine, warm bath and lavender scent lotion.

1 Like