How to get baby to sleep through the night?

Hello,
My son is 11 months soon to be a year on the third and still wakes up every four hours screaming and crying for a bottle. I decided to change his milk to regular milk because it seemed like the formula wasn’t fulfilling him. But even with the regular milk he’s still waking up every four hours. Any suggestions

10 Likes

put cereal in his formula

7 Likes

My mom has told me back in the day they used to add pablum to the bottle at night to help us sleep through the night

1 Like

Does he eat baby food or soft table foods before bed?

3 Likes

I put baby food in my little bottle with her formula

4 Likes

Cereal in his last bottle at night- crosscut the nipple and give a good bit of it and shake it up. Worked for us!!

8 Likes

My baby turns 1 on March 28th and she still gets up 3 to 4 times a night to nurse.

2 Likes

Give him some pablum before he goes to sleep for the night .

2 Likes

I had the same problem but every 2 hrs try getting more of the good fats into their food I was trying to be too healthy and was lacking the fat and their diet is suppose to be around 70% fat.

Try avocado on toast or roast veggies rolled in olive oil

3 Likes

Take a oz of water out of bottle

1 Like

Do u give him normal food yet.

1 Like

Are you feeding him 3 meals a day of baby food?

3 Likes

Are you feeding him 3 meals a day of baby food?

1 Like

I made sure my daughter got food before bed and she slept through most of the night.
Even at 6 years old she seems to sleep better at night after a small snack

Some babies are just piggies.
My almost 11 month old nurses every 3 hours at night eats 3 meals a day (3 adult size pancakes for lunch) and snacks on top of nursing during the day

4 Likes

I had to mix baby food in with my sons bottles starting at around 7-8 months and, gerber banana oatmeal.

Please don’t but cereal in a bottle, it’s a huge choking hazard. Night weaning should be discussed with baby’s dr. Also studies have shown adding cereal does nothing to help baby’s sleep longer. It’s a dangerous old wives tale. How much is baby eating during the day? And did you switch to milk with permission from your dr?

14 Likes

Is he having any solid foods? He should definitely be having something other than a bottle.

2 Likes

I seriously can’t believe how many people are suggesting cereal in a bottle. That’s so dangerous, please dont do that! It is a choking hazard, pediatricians reccomend against it. Sleep is developmental. Its normal. Also, baby will wake through the night if he doesn’t get enough calories during the day. Feed a high protein meal for dinner. Meats, hummus & Greek yogurt are all high in protein.

16 Likes

He’s on solids, and baby food during the day and he does good without crying for it. But at night he screams for it I put cereal and baby food and still he won’t sleep through the night.

WATER instead of milk.

3 Likes

Are you feeding him 3 meals a day of regular food plus snacks?

1 Like

Seriously though, talk to your child’s pediatrician. Everyone is going to say something different.

1 Like

I have five kids they were all lil piglets as babies/toddlers. I just fed them throughout the day 3 proper meals (regular food not baby food) and healthy snacks in between. I didnt really give them juice or sugary drinks. I give them a lot of water during the day and some water before bedtime. My last is 2yrs old and she eats more than my older kids do. She is the one that generally sleeps through the night. It may not be that he is so much hungry as he may be thirsty.

1 Like

You deal with it? All baby’s sleep thru the night at different ages be happy it’s not every 2 hrs

4 Likes

He should be eating meals and snacks during the day as well and something before bed . Also cows milk can cause inflmation and can cause upset stomach

2 Likes

Please contact your pediatrician first. A lot of advice could be outdated or could be dangerous. My son didn’t sleep long stretches until he was over a year. Trying to make him full wasn’t the issue. We made sure we had a solid routine and well balanced meals through the day and it seemed to help some. We just kept with the bottles until he let them go on his own. It’s hard trust me I know but it isn’t forever. We had a bottle station in our room lol you’ll. My pedi told me to make sure you are brushing teeth really well at night and first thing in the morning and to try to get them to drink it in one sitting through the night because it can hurt their teeth. You got this mama :heart:

2 Likes

every baby is different. some will sleep for 12 hour stretches & others will wake often for various reasons. My only suggestion is try reducing naps during the day and give a good meal & formula before bed.

2 Likes

Sleep is developmental, maybe your baby just needs more maybe a growth spurt or a leap. This to shall pass Hun❤️

1 Like

Rice cereal either separately or put in the bottle

1 Like

My son is going to be 2 in aug and hes always been up all night. Every hour or 2. I talked to his dr since birth! My other 3 was not like this at all trust me its draining i get it. I want to just cry some nights as im getting the most 4 hours and that’s not me falling back to sleep everytime. I cut one nap out. He only takes 1 now i tried all but hes just so little that he cant make it and made it worst since it was so late. Routine routine routine… I been sticking with this for almost 2 weeks and almost gave in tonight ( out of crib and into my bed) but i didnt. Even if i hold him he would just cry. Hes also always been a big boy 10.9 at birth and been 33lbs since 10months and walking since 10. I forsure stick with good meals and snacks. And ill even feed him at the end to make sure hes done as he only gets so much himself in his mouth. Dr keeps sayying do what im doing… Hes completely healthy just a horrible sleeper. Praying by 2 latest 3 he gets some what better. I even moved into a bigger place so he has his own room as the dr told me soon as they see mum or dad they dont care they want you. Good luck!! :heart:

Cereal in the bottle will take away from nutrients of the formula. You might as well make him up a bowl of cereal.
It may not even be a food thing- he’s growing and the mind grows too. These changes impact the mind and he could be having nightmares. Try some cuddles, music, a sleep buddy.

2 Likes

Boys eat way more than girls.

My child is the same but nursing and has yet to sleep through the night. I’m starting to thinl I’ll never get a full 7 hrs again

Mine didn’t sleep until he turned 2. Lol NOTHING made a difference. Now he sleeps so well so I guess my advice is to wait it out and it wont be this way forever lol

My daughter is 13 months old and still has 2 or 3 bottles a night. Her pediatrician didnt seem to concerned about it and offered the idea of sleep training and crying it out method. Which I would never do because that’s just not for us. I figure when she is ready she will sleep through the night and until then cherish every little moment even if I’m exhausted all the time lol

2 Likes

At around a year old all 3 of my kids were still getting a boob before bed, around 2am, and again around 7am. Sounds normal to me.

2 Likes

Mine still does it and he’s 17 months.

1 Like

Feed him before bed,he may be hungry.

1 Like

Sleeping through the night is developmental it’s different for every baby. I wouldn’t take away formula completely they still need formula or breast milk till a year old it’s there main nutrition. I would definitely speak to your pediatrician to ensure your giving him enough calories during the day and I recommend definitely doing a high protein dinner. Before a year old no more then 2oz of water additional a day can be given but I definitely recommend offering it as well. Some children will frequently wake during the night until 2 or even after

It’s completely normal my 2.5 year old eats a tonne and he still doesn’t sleep through, cereal in a bottle is dangerous definitely don’t do that again!

2 Likes

A little cereal in the milk with a cross cut nipple should do the trick.

5 Likes

i used baby food banana in the formula and then milk when i switched and worked like a charm

1 Like

Just don’t let him lie down to drink it. He can choke while you are sleeping. He needs to be fed and sit upright for (,30 minutes is recommended by doctors for the elderly. Their esophagus is longer, so…)…

1 Like

I put baby cereal and baby food in night feedings starting at 3 months old all u got to do is put a little slit in the nipple and its perfect. I did this with all 4 of my kiddos

5 Likes

Maybe he is still hungry . Maybe he wants more then just milk

2 Likes

It’s probably a comfort issue. My kids are 3&4…still take sippy cups of water to bed!! Also rice cereal tricks the child’s brain into thinking its not hungry…its also a choking hazard!!!

1 Like

Probably waking from habit. Sometimes kids won’t eat food all day because unconsciously they know they will get 3 bottles through the night. I think thats fine if its what you want, to be waking and giving bottles to a 1 yr old at night (most advice says, they shouldn’t need night feeds by 1)I say comfort your baby but don’t give milk in the middle of the night. I bet then food consumption and milk may increase during the day, helping to make for a better nights sleep for everyone. The first 3 nights of not giving can be hard. If you need to ease yourself and your child into it. Reduce the amount in the bottle less and less every few days.

1 Like

Mine is 2.5 still doesn’t sleep thru. Some just dont

2 Likes

Reading all these comments make me see how blessed I am. My 3 year old slept through the night from 4 months old and still does now unless she’s sick or has to go to the toilet and my 6 month old has been sleeping through the night from 2 months old. Both stopped when I switched from breastmilk to formula milk. I’ve never had to give them extra bottles or put baby cereal in bottles to fill them I just stuck with whatever the formula tin recommended for amount of bottles and food and it has worked for both babies. You just need to find a routine that works for you and bub and stick with it.

2 Likes

Try giving him baby food (or table food) with a bottle right before bed he may still be hungry… my son was 3 months when he started sleeping through the night cause I had him on baby food plus BM he is 3 and still sleeps through the night… Just gonna make sure he has a full belly

4 Likes

Our son is 9.5 months old and sleeps 11-12 hours straight with 3 meals a day and 3 bottles a day. Perhaps increase his food intake during the day? They say once on 3 solid meals a day, they shouldn’t need a bottle in middle of the night or numerous times

1 Like

Stop giving him milk at night. You’re not suppose to if they have teeth, which usually they do.
Switch to water. It’ll not rot their teeth and it also helps break the habit of waking up.
Also, you are you giving him table food? Because you should be. That helps a lot too.

2 Likes

Cereal mixed with milk should knock him out good

4 Likes

Cereal in the bottle and warm it up. Only put a teaspoon in there

2 Likes

My youngest is 4 years old and finally sleeping all night every child is different

You just have to wait until he grows out of it, my son didn’t sleep through the night until he was just over 2 years old but my daughter did at 8 months old. Listen to your child don’t try and force anything on them.

Also contact a health professional if your concerned instead of asking mums on Facebook.

1 Like

Time for cereal to be added!

2 Likes

Maybe up his ounces. I know if anything he’s probably having night terrors my son had it around the same age. Just comfort them best you can Mama. I usually feed my son food full before bed too so he sleeps better and you have to be careful before switching cow’s milk before 1 my son got really consitpated

Feed him baby food? Hes a year old. It’s time.

2 Likes

He probably doesn’t need anything to eat he just wants to be comforted. My 2 year old still gets up at least once multiple times a week. He crawls into bed with me and goes right back to sleep. Just wants mama snuggles

2 Likes

Add a little cereal to his bottle…even with regular milk. It should help keep him fuller longer.

2 Likes

It sounds like your child is on a schedule/routine now and you will need to change that. Instead of giving a bottle, go in and soothe and laying back down. It will be hard and there will be a lot of tears for a couple weeks but once the baby realizes there is no more milk at this time there SHOULD be less wakings.

Cereal in a bottle isn’t necessarily a bad thing but for the love of God dont cut the nipples any bigger than they already are. Major choking hazard. If the baby cant get it out the bottle with the nipple normal it’s too thick. It should only be like half a formula scoop to 8oz bottle… and you should be feeding that kind of bottle to baby in hand, dont give that kind of bottle or any bottle to a baby in the crib overnight or by themselves at any point in time cause it Can be a choking hazard

My son just turned 4 and only now started sleeping all the way thru. Good luck and as others say give him water instead of milk. It’ll give him cavities.

So my 3 year old still doesn’t sleep through the night. Like still up multiple times. However at this age it’s important to talk to his dr. At first they said he was eating enough durning the day and to add butter and sour cream to everything we could to increase his fats. It made it worse because later we found out he is lactose intolerant. But we did night wean according to www.babysleepsite.com things got better for a short period of time after we finished that but then we started having issues again. Turns out he has parasomina sleep disorder and has obstructive sleep apnea. He also had sensory processing disorder which is a challenge because noises and lights scare him at night. Now we are attempting to sleep train again because he’s got to learn to self soothe. Before we couldn’t force it because he actually had medical reasons that we couldn’t. Always talk with your dr about sleep issues! They are a wonderful resource and if something isn’t working you have a record to narrow down other options!

My son is the same age. Routine is important…same routine every night.
He eats around 6pm…
Then he gets his bath around 7ish… then we play/read or whatever… then a snack… yougurt usually…then he gets a cup of whole milk and goes to sleep around 8-830 and sleeps until I wake him up around 630a… if he wakes up… i dont tend to him unless he cries longer than about 5 mins…but normally he will just go right back to sleep. I think a longer bath helps too. Keep him in there as long as he wants (put toys in there).

I’ve had some parents tell me they put baby cereal in to help them sleep thru the night longer.

2 Likes

All yall mad facing the cereal. :roll_eyes: get over yourselves. I put cereal in both of my babies formulas and sometimes I still put it in my youngests milk to help… dont judge the way another parent is PARENTING their child. Mind your own :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

By 11 months my son was eatting 2 meals a day, and always to a strict schedule. He weaned himself off formula, had his last bottle 2 days after his bday. We also gave him reg milk here n there to intoduce it, but still try n offer bottles.

See my daughter woke up more when we switched her to milk. At a 12 month slowly as directed by her pediatrician

I would give her baby food at 11 months before bed

Look up the nanit baby schedule generator, print out the schedule for your kid and start feeding him regular meals…breakfast lunch and dinner along with small snacks in between…you have to maintain a certain caloric intake during the day to help him sleep at night…

Try giving some cereal before bed and see if that helps

1 Like

More food during the day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks. Keep milk for the day, water at night

1 Like

My sister’s daughter does this and it’s normal some kids arnt like other kids , they don’t get full , try do feed him till he’s full with table food then bottle at night before bed take the oz up if u have to , my daughter will go to sleep then wake back up at like 5am for a bottle but she will only won’t a few drinks I have tried water but it makes her spit up or caught alot , but don’t feel bad lol my sister is going threw it , her doc told her some kids are different and don’t get full enoff to try and comfort her first if she don’t go back night night to give her her milk , I’m shore he will get the hang of it by atleast 14m

But I still give my daughter milk at night and she eats 4+ meals a day and snack and she still eats like she’s not full amd she is 11m she turns 12m in a week ! My doctor just told me to work on it and she needs to be fully off hopefully by 13-14m she will sleep all night she did as a baby but still sometimes wake up at 5 wonting a drink lol , but it’s ok it’s not doing any harm to us but my daughter is still on half formula as well due to milk allergy , but best of luck , and Iv tried water and my daughter refuses, I mean if a breast feed baby can eat off the breast till 4 I think a formula feed baby can drink milk till then too ,I just think it’s what the parent besides and if u still won’t him to have milk at night
I don’t see a issue with given milk at night , I do sometimes and my sister does , like her doc said up to parent but atleast cut down on it amd try to get them off milk or sleep all night by 14m , just do what’s best for u and him :slight_smile:

I’m currently nursing my 11.5 month old and he wakes up every night multiple times. My oldest (formula fed) woke up every night until he was 16 months. Every child is different. Still a baby. They’ll sleep through the night eventually.

1 Like

At almost a year old, you should be feeding more regular foods and not just bottles. At that age, my daughter was eating baby food (or table foods depending on what we were eating) 3 times a day. She also would have a snack before our bedtime routine so that she would have a full tummy and usually slept better (this proves to be true at almost 3 years old as well).

We had to feed our son a snack before bed, and then if he woke up we let him cry it out. He got a bottle at bed and at 6. Now he sleeps from 8pm-8am with no waking. It sucked letting him be sad but it worked.
Normally they arnt hungry, its just how they calm themselfs back to sleep

1 Like

Cereal in with the bottle. Eating any solid foods yet? Maybe some oatmeal before bed? I do that with both my kids (3 and 1 1/2) and it seems to help for the most part.

Could be going through a growth spurt and he might be more hungry. Maybe increase the amount he eats during the day and try to give him his last bottle 30min before bed.

Time. My oldest didnt sleep through until he was almost 2.

My almost 3yo still wakes up 1-3 times a night for his cup…

Give him a snack before bed. And try cereal in the bottle

Mix bananas with baby cereal. You can spoon feed it or put it in a bottle. If you use a bottle, make sure to snip the end of the nipple a bit because it is thicker than milk or formula. My son LOVED it, and it filled him up to where he could sleep all night.

Is he eating enough when awake? Does he get a snack before bed? I would tey to not give him a bottle every time he wakes up. He doesnt need it. He wants it…theres a difference. Its more of a soothing thing now, not a necessity. Maybe give him a snack and a drink before bed so his tummy is full. When he wakes up, no bottle. Just sooth him back to sleep. Just sounds like the little man needs more food during his awake hours lol. My youngest did that too…more food helped, and he was never overweight at all! Just a hungry boy.

You can try feeding him more at dinner or baby cereal!

And don’t put your child in danger by adding crap in the bottle. Just feed the baby a regular meal.

1 Like

Thank god my 3 year sleeps threw the night now. But when she was that age she woke up every few hrs for a bottle. It gets better I promise she now sleeps threw the night 8:30-7/7:30 AM. But I use to put cereal in her milk if I felt like she needed to be more full. But make sure the baby is eating breakfast, lunch & dinner and snacks it helps a lot. If you don’t want to put cereal in the bottle give cereal before bed. I use to add some of the baby food in with the baby cereal my daughter loved it! I did peaches with it or apples.

Consult your pediatrician but it sounds like they need more solid foods throughout the day and closer to bed time.