How to get baby to sleep through the night?

My newborn is a week old and only likes to sleep on me. After she falls asleep I put her in her crib and she will only stay asleep for up to 10 minutes before getting squirmy and wants to be picked up again only to fall asleep on me again. Is this normal for new borns? Is there any way to get her to sleep in her crib without waking up?

19 Likes

Are you swaddling her?

Mine does this and he is 3 weeks old. May I add I have tryed swaddling and didnā€™t work

1 Like

my daughter is a little over a month old & I feel like she only sleeps for 10 mins at a timeā€¦ she makes noises in her sleep like shes dreamingā€¦ my OB told me she would be an active baby bc she was VERY active while I was pregnant!!

She does that because you give her warmth from your body heat and when you put her down the crib is cold.

1 Like

Honestly itā€™s part of parent hood! You have to experiment and see what works. One day they wonā€™t want you to hold them so much. And youā€™re gonna miss it :sob:

6 Likes

Definitely try swaddling. My almost 2 month old is the same way.

Yes it is normal. Sheā€™s in the fourth trimester. All she knows is you so all she wants is you.

My advice is try swaddling ( you have to stop at 8 weeks or any signs of rolling ). Hug the swaddle blanket to make it smell like you. Then swaddle her

1 Like

Mine does the same thing and she is now 9 weeks old. Swaddling doesnā€™t work because she just fights it and breaks out of it. I can get her to fall asleep in her swing and she usually sleeps solid until sheā€™s hungry again. But she still loves to sleep on my chest the most. So I let her. I personally love it and only use the swing when I need a break or to sleep.

Swaddle:) I had my son in a swaddle until like 3 months old then he figured out how to get his arms out but he was fine slept by himself next to my bed in a bassinete

My kids are adults now but the used to sell a foam thing that you lay baby on and there is support in the front and back of her and also keeps baby on her side. My kids slept really well with it because they felt secure. I cant remember what is was called

Mine is 8 weeks and still doing this. We tried a weighted swaddler that helped for a little while. Heā€™s just used to my warmth and heart beat. Enjoy it, they wonā€™t want to do it forever.

My baby is 3 months old and she was like this when we brought her home it wasnā€™t until after Iā€™d say 6 weeks old that she would sleep without me holding her. I agree with one of the other comments that itā€™s the warmth of your body that sheā€™s used to. Although it seems like it takes forever it does get better.

Yes itā€™s the sound of your heart beat that soothes her. As mentioned above try swaddling but it doesnā€™t always work x

My 7 week old is the same way I just hold her all the time I got a baby carrier to use for during the day when getting house work done

1 Like

Itā€™s a brand new, big world for such a little person. You could try putting something that smells like you in the crib, something youā€™ve worn, and see if that helps. Iā€™ve also had friend put rice in a glove and place it on baby as well so they feel close to momma. I get touched out pretty quick, so I get it. Doesnā€™t hurt to give those things a try.

3 Likes

She is so young a week old swaddle put in bassinet. But most importantly hold her. She is learning you are her person n you make her feel secure.

3 Likes

Very normal. My daughter did the same and I wound up buying her a vibrating crib mattress online. Worked wonders!

1 Like

Just donā€™t pick the baby up bc it wakes up or it will never sleep by itself

4 Likes

also swaddling my daughter gets out of everytime, shes almost 5 weeks oldā€¦

It wonā€™t last very long

Swaddle or try laying one of your shirts youve worn in the crib with her!

Think about itā€¦ She was in a place that was confining place for 9 monthsā€¦ Sheā€™s in a bigger area now

My son was same I even got bassinet to put beside my bed and he would wake minutes after I layed him down, he never liked cribs he went from sleeping with me to double bed, since the baby canā€™t roll yet I bet if she stays in your bed she sleeps, by age 2 my son had double bed and would stay in it. I think he didnā€™t like being closed in with a crib

2 Likes

Very normal. My 2.5 year old still falls asleep on my chest every night

3 Likes

My son was like that til 7 months oldā€¦ Swaddling never helped him. I let him nap in my bed, Iā€™d lay down with him & hold him til he fell asleep then Iā€™d roll out of bed. He refused to fall asleep anywhere else, swing, bouncer, crib, with other peopleā€¦ He would stay awake unless he had me touching him.

1 Like

Lexi was the same wayā€¦who are we kidding she is 15 and will still crawl in the bed and snuggle up and sleep with meā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s very normal at only a week old. She wants your comfort, you can co sleep if you want for a few more weeks I used the rock and play for a while because thatā€™s all my daughter would sleep in, then the bassinet and then her crib at 6 months

Are you swaddling her?

My daughter slept on my chest for the first month or so. Itā€™s actually developmentally beneficial. They regulate their breathing, body temperature and heart rate using yours, by touching you.:heart:

6 Likes

I miss that. My girls 11 months and only sleeps alone now. They grow out of it, soak it in while you can

Yes use a heating pad. Put a towel over it on low and lay her on it. It works trust mešŸ‘šŸ»

1 Like

Super normal! My daughter was the exact same way! What helped me was giving her my shirt that I had worn for the day & eventually easing out of giving her a shirt. Now sheā€™s sleeping in her crib full time & only waking up 1-2 times a night

1 Like

Sheā€™s very much used to life inside you and she can hear your heartbeat, feel your warmth, etcā€¦ Iā€™d let baby sleep on you but thatā€™s just me

1 Like

Swaddling helps, and now my 21 month old will not sleep without me because I did the same thing youā€™re doing kicking my own ass really

Very normal. I didnā€™t get my son to sleep anywhere except arms till like 2 weeks ago lol. Heā€™s 7 weeks

Try this. My diy doc a tot

1 Like

Cherish this! You are safe and warm to her. It gets easier over time.

1 Like

Sheā€™s a week old, this is normal for a month or so, she wants comfort and warmth. Sheā€™s listened to your heartbeat, your every breath and your voice for 9 months. It gives her comfort knowing and feeling you by her. Enjoy it as much as you can in these first few months while you can. Youā€™ll look back and miss it when sheā€™s not wanting too. :yellow_heart::heart: you got this momma

6 Likes

Very normal for newborns

Yep. My boys slept in my bed for the first year then got their own big kid beds on the floor with rails because of them always waking up when put down. Ay least in bed, you can easily roll them off of you and they can still smell you.

2 Likes

My son was the same way I put one of his blankets on me it worked and kept him warm he didnā€™t like to be cold

I would let her sleep on you for the first little while.

My son wouldnā€™t sleep for longer than 20 minutes at a time. Then heā€™d wake up and nurse/suckle for 20 more minutes fall asleep and it would start all over again.

Have you been swaddling her? A nice snug swaddle helped. Burping before being laid down even if she didnā€™t feed. Some babies have reflux. Try propping up the mattress or buying an incliner.
Also, I mean chests are warmer and softer than a hard crib mattress. Prolly preference.
My son loved the couch cause it was softer than his crib.
I would let him sleep on his belly on the couch but watched him like a hawk. And he slept for longer periods.

My daughter did this for a while but just keep putting her in there! Soothe her of course but just keep doing it she will get used to it! Maybe try putting a fan in her room? The sounds really calm them down and soothes them! :slightly_smiling_face:

Very normal my newborn was the same.

We had a stuffed animal that we put beside our childā€™s bed with a heartbeat and swaddled her until she could roll over

Place an article of your clothing by her with your Mommy smell on it so she knows Mommy is there

2 Likes

My son slept in bed with me or next to me in his bassinet for the first 6 months and then I moved him to his own crib. Helps with anxiety if the baby is close too.

Think of it this way, youā€™re all she has every known and youā€™re her place of comfort. Newborns want to be near you and with you. Perhaps look into a beside the bed bassinet. Newborns will wake up quiet often either way and itā€™s totally normal. Hang in there momma!

2 Likes

My son did this unless he was swaddled.

read the fourth trimester its very normal

Normal, they just want mama, but try swaddling! Halo swaddle is the best Iā€™ve ever used.

1 Like

Yes of course. Your baby was attached to you for 9 months, now that it is born doesnā€™t change that need or want.

1 Like

Try a swaddle! My first 2 were the same way. We just had our third and with being swaddled he sleeps 3-4 hours in his crib at night before getting hungry. Then he stays in bed with me

2 Likes

When sheā€™s in there and wakes. Go in and soothe her while she is in the crib. Rub her back and talk to her softly. This is very normal. Remember mamaā€¦ The last 9 monthā€™s sheā€™s been in a quite, dark, small place. As long as you are consistent, she will adjust.

I understsnd your pain! My baby is also a week old, and i could not for the life of me get him to sleep in the bassinet next to our bed!!! But i got a pack of some good swaddles and in bed bassinet and he slept for 4 hours last night! Its a life savior. I needed those 4 hours! Lol

1 Like

Definitely normal!! Love on your baby, itā€™s ok! No way to spoil a newbornā€¦ try a swaddle it will help tremendouslyā€¦ no right or wrong way to parent. YOU do what works for YOU

1 Like

Its normal. She loves her mommy. Just hold her & love on her. Sheā€™ll be grown in a blenk of a eye. Youā€™ll miss itā€¦ Good luckā€¦

1 Like

If shes only swuirming let her squirm and touch her head or rub her chest until sheā€™s calm again.

Are you swaddling her?

I recommend a cop-sleeper bassinet. I had the Halo with the ā€œbasketā€ being detachable so baby can be in your bed and safe, but the basket arms are collapseable so that you can reach and arm in and touch baby while they sleep.

My son was same way had to sleep in a recliner for two months he had to be on my chest

It was normal with mine. If Iā€™ve learned anything of parenting, the only secret is being consistent. She would fall asleep on me, Iā€™d put her in her bed (with a wedge, so she reclined like she was on a person), sheā€™d sleep for 15-20mins, and wake up. When sheā€™d fall asleep on me again, Iā€™d put her back in her bed. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. By 2mos, she was sleeping alone in her bed. Also, her pediatrician at the time helped me out with another piece of adviceā€”carry around a small stuffed animal in your bra, and lay it down with her in her bed. Keeps the smell of you near her.

1 Like

Yes its called the 4th trimesterā€¦ Until now they have been in your bodyā€¦ This big world is new and scaryā€¦ Give them time to adjustā€¦

1 Like

She will outgrow it. My baby would only fall and stay asleep in my arms for the first two months. After she made 3mnths she couldnā€™t wait to wriggle off my chest. She will only want to be still in my arms for a few seconds and take off

Be careful if you do swaddle because then eventually youā€™ll go through this all over again when itā€™s time to break the swaddle. I have a friend who kinda regrets having swaddled because no she canā€™t get her son to sleep with out it.

My son was same way had to sleep in a recliner for two months he had to be on my chest

Swaddle her and then put her in there with one of your shirts you have already worn.

1 Like

My daughter is 7 weeks and is the same way. I will try and put her in her swing here and there, but when she cryā€™s I pick her up. So young your baby is learning who to trust and depend on. I hold my baby a lot and co sleep i also have a wrap to have her while I am doing things. I donā€™t believe by holding your baby you are ā€œspoilingā€ them. They arenā€™t going to be so small and want you all the time forever, enjoy it while you can.

1 Like

take one of your tops that you have had on and a clock that ticks like your hear and see if that works

Swaddling is helpfulā€¦ Wrap her up in a blanket