How to get baby to stay asleep?

please no rude comments …I’m 35 weeks pregnant and my husband has been deployed for 5 months already, so it has been me and my 2 years old. The last couple months my LO has been putting hands inside of the diapers taking the poop out, and touching clothes, toys, furniture, bedding etc. I just talked with my family about it and my husband, because I feel so bad as a mom when that situation happens and my pregnancies hormones doens thelp at all, my family doesnt help my mom keeps saying that she never had this stage with us, my husband is not much help obviously I just can reach him by emails, so I search on internet and I followed some tips that other moms shared as tape the diapers, cold water to clean the butt, putting diapers backwards, onesies, but nothing works, my LO always wait till I’m busy doing something to poop so I can’t be tracking all the time sometimes happens right after eat, or an hour later, when is nap time, or when I’m in the bathroom. So today happened what I was afraid of, I was washing the dishes and 5 second I had a LO full of poop clothes, hands and toys, so I lost my S@#$! I washed hands and while a was changing the diapers i saw the body with poop too so I freaked out and I spank the naked butt and my LO began to cry like crazy, I’m dont like to do that but I just react has been a lot and now I feel so guilty for doing it, I yelled saying that poop stays in diapers while i smack my LO hands, my guilt is so bad right now that while I’m writing I’m crying, I don’t know what else to do, I’m resenting my husband for leaving me alone, with a difficult pregnancy and our LO, i know it is part of his job, but I feel that I can’t anymore and he doesn’t understand my frustration as a mom, so if anyone has any advice about how I can deal with this pooping situation I will appreciate sooo much, thank you

30 Likes

Don’t be hard on your self we have all done it hopefully the kid learns now you mean business.

7 Likes

I’ve heard that’s a sign they’re ready to be potty trained! if you haven’t started that yet, now is the time.

Hang in there mama- no parent is perfect every day, we all get overwhelmed. :two_hearts:

15 Likes

Do not feel bad. I was pregnant with my third while my husband was deployed. That crap is HARD. Very hard. So first, breathe. Second, you’ve tried everything else and I would’ve brought out a spanking too at that point. My mom said my brother would play in his poop too. They’d duct tape the diapers and give him a swat on the butt if he continued. Nothing would work but that.

6 Likes

Oh sweetie. I’m sure it’s so hard right now. A swat on the behind or hand never hurt anyone but the moms doing it lol I would cry too as I’m a single mom and I’m the lover and the discipliner. Have you tried working on potty training maybe they are ready?

7 Likes

Time to potty training

2 Likes

I heard kids do this some I know did this had retardaration though any kid could do this don’t know why kids do it is hard being a mom sometimes don’t fell bad for spanking a but and saying no frustrating it is

1 Like

You’re going through a difficult time and you’re not perfect. None of us are. Be easy on yourself. And let’s face it that’s GROSS. Any of us might have done the same. (((Hugs)))

3 Likes

Definitely ready to potty train…

2 Likes

He’s ready to potty train.

2 Likes

It happens to the best of us my 19 no does that so I started potty traing him. No he hardly ever puts his hands in his diapers So my best advise start potty training him.

3 Likes

You’re strong momma​:heart::heart::heart:

It happens to the best of us, my daughter did it once and I was so grossed out and gave her a swat. I agree with the other comments, it is time to potty train. That is difficult in itself. I am wishing you the best of luck.

You have to stop this. Spanking is fine.

5 Likes

It’s okay momma! Hang in there! I have no advise my little ones only 3 months. Not looking forward to this. But in my case I will spank even tho I know I will feel bad… but the only advise I have is if you do decide spanking is the way to go then don’t do it when you’re angry. Maybe put him in timeout first. If it’s on him then tbh leave him in it. Put him in time out with poop on him. Maybe he will start to not like it bc it will stink or something. Then bathe him and give him a stern talking to. And repeat.

1 Like

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You must be so overwhelmed. I agree with everyone saying to try potty training. Hang in there!

Mine stopped after spanking him. I had tried all the above mentioned things in your post including time out telling him no setting alarms to take him potty everything. Finally one day I snapped. I yelled and spanked his but hard. He didnt do it after that.

5 Likes

Have you tried footy pjs or the short jump suit things? Clothes that he cant get to his diaper? My son would take his diaper off so we put him in one piece outfits for awhile

You just hurt kiddos feelings you didn’t actually hurt them. Spanking isn’t my goto either but sometimes we lose our shit it happens!

Oh it must be really hard . You’re a mum but you’re also human it’s ok to get frustrated especially when you have so much going on but its easy to feel guilty every mum has stages that they feel they aren’t doing great its totally normal .
Probably just ready to potty train . I would completely have done the same . Hope you are ok

4 Likes

We tape our 1 yr old for the same reason but she still takes the diaper off. We started putting her on her potty & now she goes to it about 50% of the time.
You are too hard on yourself… You are in a tough situation.

3 Likes

Nope dont feel bad. A pop on the butt is not going to emotionally destroy your child. You did no wrong mama

3 Likes

My son did this, but instead of reacting I acted. He painted the wall by his crib with poop and instead of being angry or mad, I cleaned it up and talked with him about it. He was ready to potty train as well. He was fully potty trained by a yr and a half, but because we sat down and talked about it, it was the only time he had ever done that. He’s 18 yrs old now, graduated last month from hs and just bought his first car. Sometimes as parents we tend to react before we think first, “why is he doing this?” My son did it bc he didn’t like the way it felt on his bottom but then didn’t like it on his hands either. So thus it went on the walls.
Yup we all have hard days, my ex was mlitary and deployed a lot too. We emailed almost always also and it’s hard to convey things through an email, but if he’s like my ex, being away from family is hard on them too. See if someone can babysit so you can have some you time away from the stress for a little bit and time to compose yourself. You can do this! Keep your head up girl! Take care of yourself tho so you can take care of others as well. Good luck to you!

Oooh dear!! First try and forgive yourself. I went through that, my boy wld poop on himself and I would get so upset, I beat him a few times really badly coz I hit him like 3 or 4 times, I swear I wld feel so terrible after coz he will cry and come back to me, it worked but sometimes he still forgets, but he keeps saying " mum will beat me if I poop in my cloth" that wld remind him to look for his potty.

A spanking sure aimt gonna hurt the child. Do not he so hard on urslef! Were all human. I have a 1 year old as of today and a almost 13 yr old and I tell u I do it all alone bc my s/o works do much. It’s very hard being a mom and not getting angry or upset.

3 Likes

You probably just took care of it. Don’t feel guilty. That was how children where handled in 50 ,60 ,70 ,in 80 people said oh dont hit the baby, cause big problem. Not true you can see a total decline in children temper tantrums and melt downs when you know your gonna get your butt wooped [not abused] . You did what came naturally. Your child knows that you are not kidding about that. Feces has terrible germs in it. You cannot afford to have this habit continue. I smacked my kids butt after they showed understanding. After a couple times, behavior and tantrums wherent ever a problem till those wonderful teen years. Good luck!

1 Like

Most of us toddler moms have experienced this. My first did this too and I had to put her back into onesies. She was maybe 18/20 months.
My husbands in the military and I have definitely overreacted to my toddlers behavior and def spanked when I maybe shouldn’t have. It’s all water under the bridge :heartpulse:

My two daughters did this. Until I smacked there butts. Happened 2x. No more after that. It’s now a game to your 2yr. Time to stop it.

Sounds like its time to potty train!

1 Like

I’ll just repeat this: potty training time.

1 Like

Awww momma… You and your hibs may be able to bond over the fact he may have soldiers who refuse to shower. *It happens amd it’s as bad as a 2yr old🤣
Anywho, it’s normal momma. Try to see what time he poops and start sitting him on the potty.
Def take charge of it bc that’s not safe for you, baby or your LO.
He makes the mess, he can clean it up…with your help, of course.
I’ve been there momma so if you need to vent, hmu.
Military fam has to stick together. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Definitely talk to your Dr about how your feeling and if possible have a trusted friend/family member come spend some time with you just to give you a break.
I’m sure your son’s fine but it’s never ok to spank out of anger, I’m all for spanking when needed but never when you lose your cool.
Talk to your son’s Dr but mainly get yourself some help so there’s an extra set of eyes and if someone can’t come maybe out him in daycare or something for a few hrs a day

Well you don’t hit them for one… My littlest had a short playing with poop phase. Only one outta all 3 to do so. Onesie and pants or a full one piece outfit so she couldn’t get to it. After about a week she didn’t seem to care about messing with it anymore

Potty training right now might be a bit too hard right now because even if you get it done perfectly before you go into labor your LO might revert when they see they baby using diapers. Maybe backwards overalls or footie panajamas on backwards. If your feeling too much Mommy burnout you might need someone to babysit so you can decompress. Being pregnant is exhausting enough and kids always find a way to push more buttons when your tired

1 Like

My boys would share their poop! No joke! It would be EVERYWHERE smeared on beds, windows, floors, walls and yes even the dog! It took a couple of hand pops and tooshy stings to finally stop but eventually it did! It was the absolute worst phase by far! Hang in there you will make it through!

1 Like

Potty train! Especially before the new baby gets there!

Corie Woodall agree! Way too much going on to potty train now, a snug onsie or a pair of underwear over the diap work well to keep hands out until things settle down and you can work on potty training.

1 Like

Every one loses their cool sometimes, it doesn’t make it ok but it is normal. Don’t be so hard on yourself. It sounds like it’s time to start potty training.

1 Like

You are NOT a horrible mother. You are ok. You can get through this. Talk to your ombudsman about mom groups or wife groups. There has to be some form of support on base for spouses of deployed members! You miss him. You have a toddler. Youre pregnant. All your feelings are valid and understandable.

I dont have solid advice but know you’re not alone. My almost 3 year old has been doing this for MONTHS now. Nothing ever stops him. He was just diagnosed with autism so potty training is out of the question, for now. (Ive tried so many times & he’s just not interested in the potty & sometimes hes really scared of it). I’ve had to smack his butt or his hands & still doesn’t stop him. Easiest way to clean them up it to put them in the tub standing up, turn the water on & take a cup to dump water wherever to rinse them off. Of course you should use a wash cloth while doing that but i honestly just use my hand & then scrub them after he’s clean.

Yes it does sound like potty training time. But a crack on the butt hurt you momma more than it hurt him. He will be fine. I’m sorry you are going through this by yourself. This country has no idea how hard it is for military families. Thank you all husband for his service and you for doing this alone. Take a deep breath you can do this. Try to start potty training. Good luck. You got this.

2 Likes

Try putting a onsie on him backwards cut the feet out when you are around the house , if he pulls the snaps use a zip one and change that diaper as soon as you realize it’s dirty. Also if the onsie isn’t an option duct tape the top of the diaper on so there isn’t room for his hand to fit in. Use safety sissors to remove it. good luck

My name is Gwendolyn Morse feel free to private message me

1 Like

We’re going through the same thing

I went through this exact stage. I was pregnant and had a two year old while my husband was deployed. It was incredibly hard. My daughter acted out a ton because so much was changing in her life and potty training wasn’t an option. She wasn’t ready and it was one more thing to fight with. I made her help me clean it up and instead of a bubble bath I made her take showers if she did that. Don’t feel bad mama I yelled too. I was not a happy person at all. She’s 4 now and doesn’t and hasn’t done anything like that since right after my husband got home a year ago. Hang in there. I know this is an anonymous question but feel free to message me if you want to talk.

1 Like

Yeah time to potty train that simple

My sister’s used to war paint each other! No jk!

1 Like

Adrianna Hernandez I can promise you right now once my parents spanked my ass I knew better! It’s not abuse. You clearly don’t know abuse. LOL

Adrianna Hernandez she wasn’t abusing her child. She lost her cool and spanked them. You may not agree with her decision and may not spank your children but don’t berate a momma whose already feeling guilty enough as it is. :no_good_woman:t3::no_good_woman:t3:

8 Likes

Adrianna Hernandez huge difference between abuse and discipline, a crack on the ass or tap on the hands is not abuse.

Adrianna Hernandez give it up. Smacking hands is fine. Spanking is fine. Abuse is not. There is a clear and distinct difference that you unfortunately do not understand

8 Likes

Backwards zip up onezies pjs. He can’t undo it to get in the diaper

Get rompers for him to wear!! He wont be able to reach the poop and it will give your poor tired self a much needed break from scrubbing poop off of everything.

3 Likes

I have 2 children & never experienced this but my son is currently being assessed for add/autism & one of the things his clinician asked was does he smear faeces, she explained its a common sign of autism. I’m not saying that’s what it is with your child but I would speak with your child’s Dr and just see what they say. In regards to you loosing your cool I would apologise to your child, they may not understand but it will help you forgive yourself, it’s done, you can’t take it back. Its actually a good thing you realised your actions were wrong, thats the first step… The next is to forgive yourself & the final step is to ask for help, from family & friends… When your new baby is born you will be tested and pushed more than ever before so if you feel it’s necessary I would also maybe seek professional help from a Dr about managing your own feelings… All parents loose it sometimes & sometimes we need a little help to manage those. Good luck with everything x

2 Likes

Disciplining your child is not abuse. Holy shit are you ignorant!! :woman_facepalming:

In my house with one of the boys, it was called finger painting.

1 Like

it sounds like a sensory thing. He probably likes the feeling texture of tge poop. i would try things like allowing him to paint, if it is easier, get him bath paint (rinses right off.) maybe some playdough (supervised.) kinectic Sand and even those toys called Squishees, they come in lots of shapes and sizes.

1 Like

Your not a horrible mother and I had to smack my child too at that age because she would play in her poopy diaper too. She also smeared it on toys her bed herself walls you name she had poop probably on it. But I would say it’s potty training time though.

1 Like

All these people preach not spanking but I know a lot of those people have probably gotten frustrated at one point in time or another and done the same thing. Youre not a horrible mother. You’re human.

5 Likes

You’re not alone. When my boy was 2 he suddenly hated nappies. We’d just been rehoused & he absolutely stank the house out which was an embarrassment to friends & my teen daughters friends. He would constantly taje his nappy off & throw it against the walls & windows & his room was always covered in poo. I was constantly scrubbing & bleaching everything every day & i have chronic fatigue syndrome so i was literally drained. I either put cellotape across his nappy to stop him taking them off & when that failed i put his nappy on back to front. He finally gave in when he realized he couldn’t get it off!

1 Like

You are not terrible. As long as you pop the seat and not the face, head, or around the ears. As long as the butt gets the swats. You may have already stopped it as it was a surprise to your LO. Because you don’t spank. One of our problems today is that parents don’t bust that little butt. Just remember only a couple of swats and only on butt or legs.

5 Likes

Ignore him when he does it, maybe he knows he will get attention when he does it? Even if it’s negative. Just clean him up and thats that. Does he know when he needs to poop? Maybe he’s ready for potty training? Maybe try putting him on the potty every couple of hours. I can’t remember having this stage I had the stage where she wouldn’t use potty and just poop either in nanny or by the side of the potty she thought it was hilarious, please don’t
Feel bad he probably can’t
Even remember you tapping his hands, it upsets us more then the child. Having a child isn’t easy just be patient.

1 Like

Try not to worry it’s just a faze some kids go through my little one did t one all over his room toys bedding there were you car tracks followed by pop :see_no_evil::joy::joy::joy: I made him clean it up with me and explained it has really bad germs that could make him and his brother very sick he’s not done it since xx

1 Like

If you don’t lose it sometimes your not doing good parenting. Kids are hard to raise and even the most well behaved kids will one day push moms and dads button. . Please find someone who can give you a break.

3 Likes

Sometimes you just have to pop them or spank them. :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2: it does NOT make you a bad mother. We all feel guilty but at the end of the day your child loves you and you shouldn’t feel bad. Hormones play a big role. I would watch the baby like a hawk and if he keeps doing it keep spanking him or put him in timeout. He will eventually understand and stop. You have to keep on and on until finally he quits. Just a phase, it won’t last forever.

4 Likes

Pregnancy hormones are the fucking worst!!! Take it easy on yourself and your little one. Take deep breaths!! Have you gotten a potty for them yet? I think it’s time to introduce one and make it a big deal, a fun thing for them to go on the potty!! Every 30 minutes- or at least every two hours, if you can manage it. Give them a phone to watch YouTube or something and just take that time to relax and encourage them. Tell them it’s “Yucky dirty poopy. Only for the diaper and the potty!” And teach them how to flush it when they’re done. My daughter loves that and she has been so proud of herself once I stopped yelling and starting to make it a good thing.

2 Likes

Then u better teach them very well before they put their hands on you!JS!!

2 Likes

Potty training it is … I never really have this problem and I have 3 girls but I know the lo is probably ready for potty training even tho is a lot on you right now hopefully he learn after today or not my girls are 8 and 9 and they make a terrible mass when play with slime like a MASS I yelled at them several times till I decided no more SLIME IN MY HOUSE when I’m at work they still go thru my makeup and I hate it with children it’s always something they get obsessed with anything and it’s hard to make them understand the boundaries what I’m try to say is keep it together girl we all in this together

2 Likes

Hes 2 start toilet training him obviously doesnt like being in a shitty diaper my boys never done this although I know some kids do, hes more than ready to be toilet trained

1 Like

When my son was 2 and I caught him doing that I would pop him, give him a bath and hand him a rag and say go clean it up (I always helped) but I made sure he cleaned it too. He done that twice and didn’t do it again

2 Likes

I have 5 kids. And my 4th (she just turned 2) is the 1st to do this. She didn’t do it very long. I believe it’s because she’s ready to potty train. It took a couple times talking to her and now when she poops she will tell me instead of trying to change herself. Now we are working on her telling me she has to poop instead of telling me after.

1 Like

My oldest did this. It does stop. You have to really Express how nasty it is. Google germ photos and explain they live in the poop. He would do that then I would obviously give him a warm bath. My doctor suggested giving him Luke warm NOT cold, but slighty uncomfortable showers every time he did it. It took about 2 weeks and it never happened again.

1 Like

I have read some will make the child clean where ever the poop is. Make LO wash his own diaper in toilet. Put a potty in bathroom and explain if it is used he won’t have to wash anymore. Parent said it didn’t take long!!

My grandson did this when he was ready to potty train. We talk to him and told him no more diapers that poopy goes in toilet and only had one more incident.

That may have fixed it. Time will tell. If he isn’t bruised or bleeding, you did it correctly, mama. :wink:

1 Like

My first thoughts were either start toilet training him OR it could be a sensory thing… he might just like the feel of it!! Get him some playdoh to squish in his fingers…
Also, when he eats, stand guard until he poops and change him straight away… it could just be that it feels weird on his bum and is getting his hands in there to investigate… don’t stress… it’s definitely a common thing

He may be ready to potty train? Make him clean himself up or take his toys and put him in time out. Not sure haha never had this experience. Best luck to you momma

This is actually pretty normal behaviour for toddlers. Gross, but normal.
Don’t smack or yell at your child for anything related to the toilet, or you’re going to have tonnes of fun when it comes time to toilet train. In fact, if you’re up to it, you may be able to try starting to toilet train him.
Try to keep calm.
My daughter did this I think twice. I don’t recall doing anything about it. She just stopped.

1 Like

Victoria Caballero you’re wrong.
Yes, they are smart. But no, they don’t know better.
They learn very fast, but they still need to LEARN. If they haven’t already learned something, they don’t know it. And therefore don’t know whether it’s a good or bad thing, and can’t possibly know better than to do it if it is the latter.
I’m not against giving a child a smack when what they are doing has the potential to cause harm. The quickest way to learn something is through trial and error, and if the thing hurts, you’re unlikely to trial it again.
However, smacking children because of a bodily function is bloody ridiculous. It makes them ashamed of doing it, because you’ve just taught them that poop is bad. There is then two options - hold it in as long as they can and possibly end up sick, or hide somewhere to do it which will also get them a smack.

1 Like

Carla Giovanni keep your make up in your bedroom and lock the door. It’s expensive for messing with as well as hard to clean.

Mary Collins I try it all girl when I’m at work is a nightmare

Agree with
Jean Ann Hampton

Maybe it’s time to remove the diapers and potty train

You lost your cool… It’s not the end of the world as long as you don’t make a habit of it. Give him extra cuddles and move forward. I saw a woman once recommend putting footed pajamas on them backwards. You have to get them 1 size larger than their size. You put the arms in first (with it on backwards) and then you twist the feet around the right way I guess? I can’t find where I read it. If that doesn’t make sense, I saw where one Mom just cut below where the elastic band is at the feet. Something to try…

In regards to being overwhelmed and alone, it’s understandable. Go easy on yourself. Prioritize your day and let the little things go. Grocery pickup can be a life saver. Nap when the little one does. Find a way to get him safe (maybe gated in his room, as long as it’s child proofed) and take a few minutes to yourself each day. Good luck!

2 Likes

My grandson would do that. After a few times of spanking him and making him clean it up he stopped. Of course I cleaned it properly later but he didn’t know!

2 Likes

Maybe get the toddler tested to see if she/he is on the autism spectrum. One of my girlfriends first born did this a lot and they found out she is autistic.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for this going on. At 2, one of my daughters did the same, and figured out that she could make herself poop, so controlling it was impossible. She never put it on the baby though, just walls, clothes, floors… Eventually she stopped. Potty training wouldn’t work since she just would have taken it out…

Amanda Voss Taylor cut the footsies off. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Start potty training. Tell him its ucky to touch, get some “cute” pictures of germs to print out to hang in the bathroom and tell him that hes gotta flush the “poop monsters” make it a game for him and reward him when he do it. My friend uses “poop pop” (suckers) and puts googly eyes on them with a sign on the bow/bin they are in that says “the good monsters”

It’s ok momma, we all lose it sometimes. When my middle son was born my oldest regressed with using the potty. He was 4 at this point. He started peeing in anything that would hold a liquid and then hide it around the house. I explained and explained and explained until finally one day I just had it. I figured if he was going as far as hiding it then he MUST understand that he shouldn’t do it. So I gave him a good spank and told him to never do it again. And he never did it again. And to think I could have saved myself MONTHS of finding pee cups if I’d just gave him a spank sooner. 🤷 Maybe your problem is solved. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Also, if it were me… Id throw out any of the toys he messed with while poopy and make him watch as they get thrown out.

1. because I’m not cleaning that
  2. so it make a visual connection that poop, small or large, is not acceptable to be around.
3 Likes

Positive reinforcement is the best go to

I think you found your own answer

Two years old your kid should be potty trained by now sorry this is happening to you this tough times will pass

My daughter in law cut the feet out of sleeper’s and put them on backwards. Only thing that worked. Don’t stress, eventually he will start. My son and his wife is going through this now.

1 Like

Don’t feel bad…we all have been there! It sounds like it’s potty training time to me!! It’s hard taking care of Lil one and being pregnant with no help. Good luck and it will get better #mommyof4

My first nephew on my side of the family started this when it was gonna be time to potty train. Granted I was a teenager while babysitting him but he got told that it was not ok during bath and had to sit while I cleaned stuff up. Then, he had to watch me bag up his toys,after cleaning them, that he messed up. Every time he would poop and not smear he would earn back something.

Oh darlin, i experienced that with 2 out of 5 of my babies🤦‍♀️ when I was pregnant with my 4th my 3rd baby was only a year old at the time and she started to take her pampers off and paint herself and her playpen and blanky and pillows with her doodoo…not fun at all to clean up. I also was on strict bed rest due to developing erythema nodosum which is an extremely painful condition that resulted in me having my first csection. My toddler continued on with the painting herself and her bed and bed linens with her doodoo up until she was 2yrs old. Now my 2yr old does this too on occasions. We are working on potty training and it is sometimes difficult with the doodoo part of it. It will get better and it is normal behavior for some toddlers that do go through this phase. Try not to over think it or get too frustrated.

Caitlyn Mae Moir SORRY BUT I DISAGREE. I GUESS WE JUST HAVE TO AGREE TO DISAGREE.:blush: