How to get car back after a repo?

What happens when your car is repoed? I have been behind on 3 payments since my husband left and they just came to take it and i am so lost

66 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to get car back after a repo?

1 Like

You gotta pay up all that your behind on or they auction it off and you get stuck with the remainder of the balance.

8 Likes

Usually u get a letter u can also jump the gun and call the people who had it repo’d find out if there’s anything you can do(usually payment ) to get the car back . But depending on where you live usually they send a letter and you go from there.

4 Likes

They charge you an impound fee plus so much a day as well as you have to pay what payments you missed. The impound and daily fee go to the tow company after you pay your missed car payments to the company you have your car thru

5 Likes

Depends. To pick it up from repo, you’ll likely need to pay the back owed plus fees. If you do not do this, they will probably auction the car and apply the funds to what you owe on the vehicle, and you’d be sued for the remaining amount. I co-signed for an ex’s vehicle, happened to me years back. Since I co-signed I was only found to be 25% liable, and he owed the majority I only owed a little. If his name is on it too, he also owes for the vehicle. If it goes to court, you can explain your situation and him leaving may be seen by the judge as part of hardship on you, and they may be able to work something out with the dealership.

5 Likes

Ex : car payment is 300 a month , you’d have to pay 900 $

Then whatever the impound is plus the tow company’s daily charge.

14 Likes

You have to pay back every payment you missed, plus all the extra fees, plus daily fees it sits at the repo place. It can be very expensive depending on your car payment. & you only have so many days to get it paid off before you can’t get it back anymore.

You were supposed to trade cars with a friend until you ketchup on Payments- :grinning:

Or hide the car around the block

18 Likes

You have to pay it off.

2 Likes

Really depends on the finance terms
Sometimes once you burn that bridge with he lender you’re done and they’re not going to trust you to make payments again so no matter how much you pay they won’t finance you any more
You’d probably have to pay it off AND find a new place to finance a different car from

1 Like

You have to pay what you’re behind and the yard fees and the driver fees for the tow typically. There is usually a daily fee that accrues the longer it is in the repo yard as well. It gets expensive VERY quickly.

7 Likes

Usually have to pay your payment to current. And maybe a tow fee and any other fees they may want to include. Your 3 months worth of late fees. And then you could pick it up.

1 Like

No one here can answer. You need to call the bank that holds the loan and discuss your options.

6 Likes

I got mine repoed recently I got it back 1800 dollars later they gave me a total of 8 days and that was only two missed payments

The cost will be a lot more than the 3 payments.

4 Likes

Some companies have covid relief… let you skip a payment or 2 and add to the end of loan

2 Likes

Might be cheaper to cut your lost and get another vehicle

Unless you pay it you won’t get it back

2 Likes

Depends on the state. In colorado, you have 10 days before they can auction it off and sell it. You should call the bank asap and see if you can make a deal. While trying to make a deal see if they can put it on redemption hold(means it can not go to auction). Some banks make you pay off the car some banks make you catch up on payments, some will work with you and make a deal. Then if you figure that out then they will send a release to the repossession yard and they possibly can or will charge you a admin fee and storage. Some banks do not allow the yard to charge you anything. Then you should be able to go get the car with proper ID. Definitely call your bank asap.

3 Likes

Normally you pay all fees, make payments current. It’s gonna be expensive. Talk to the dealership. Some of them will work with you.

3 Likes

Your have to pay the back total and the tow/storage fee from the tow company.

1 Like

Contact the financial institution and explain sometimes they will work with you.just be honest.

1 Like

Goodluck with all of this .
Sometimes we have so many problems going on and bad thing after bad things keep happening…
Just remember
What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger .
Now go out there and get your car back!

2 Likes

It’s probably too late now. You should have called whoever you had the loan with before and spoke with them about deferment on the payments.

6 Likes

U have to pay the tow company and their fees n 9/10 chances ur gonna need to pay all the payments to bring your car current

2 Likes

Pay the repo cost, and your 3 months payments (or pay outright) and you go pick up your car. It’s too late once you’re car has been repo’d to declare financial aide.

1 Like

I’ve been through this at exactly this time last year. My ex husband deployed, and financially helped with nothing. It was basically put my kids in daycare and feed and diaper them, or get behind on payments. Luckily I had some people in my corner that pulled me out fast, so that the fees didn’t add up, and my car didn’t get auctioned off. It felt like I was quite literally drowning. Sending you lots of love and prayers. I hope that you too have some great people in your corner, willing to help you.

2 Likes

l Get paid over $116 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $15469 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth232.pages.dev/

I can’t with some of these comments

You have to pay the full balance of the loan plus the tow fee

2 Likes

Depends on the financing company. My ex husband (didn’t like paying bills) had one that wanted the entire balance remaining plus missed payments and tow/impound fees before they would give the car back. Some just wants the missed payments and tow/impound fees. You usually get a letter after they repo it detailing what they want in order to get it back. It just depends on what was on your documents when you signed the agreement.

4 Likes

When I knew I couldn’t make my payments I turned it in and I was free and clear.

6 Likes

Go pay the payments. Sometimes depending on who they will let you pay the two and catch up the other. Plus the tow will be added on to it.

1 Like

Pay your bill… they only way you get it back is to pay what you owe them and pay the tow and storage fee to whoever towed it… unfortunately if you couldn’t make the monthly payments I doubt you’ll be able to pay all that. So maybe start looking for a buy here pay here kind of thing now…

7 Likes

I know it sucks, but this is why everybody laughs at us as a country. We are literally buying things with money that doesn’t exist and getting upset when those things that never really belonged to us and weren’t ever paid for are taken away… We need to focus on buying things outright instead of credit, and this wouldn’t happen.

8 Likes

Honestly at this point, it might be easier to go get a new car…I know you are thinking what the hell? But seriously, you could get into a brand new car with rebates, etc easier then having to come up with all that money…or you could always go to a buy here pay here.

2 Likes

All you saying “just pay the bill”, if she had the money to do so it would have never happened on the first place. I’m not sure how it all works
If you ever get behind in your bills reaching out to the company may help you get some sort of payment plan set up to catch up. When I was separating from my ex husband he called our finance company and had them come repo the car I was driving because I fell one payment behind and he refused to pay it even though he was ordered by the judge to do so… You’ll come up on the better end, I promise :heart:

10 Likes

Check your contract but usually full balance is owed. If you can’t you better rush to go get a new car before it hits credit and you can’t.

6 Likes

Depending on the company they will make you pay the past payments plus the tow/storage fees… plus a few extra payments… call the company the loan is though… and talk to them

Call whoever the car loan is through. They will tell you what you need to do.

Pay what u owe. U get it back if it’s in your name
You only have so much time to do this

Obv you need something now and if you just let the car go back your credit will be ruined. Maybe call an attorney and look into debt consolidation or bankruptcy(they could get the car back for you if you do so) or also could let the car go back and try to save for a cash car instead of something on payments if at all possible. Best wishes with your situation I hope it gets better❤️

You didn’t pay for it so it’s not yours. What were you thinking…you just get to keep a car that you’re not paying for? It’s a done deal unless you can bring all the payments and tow/storage fees current in the time they require so maybe you’d be better off to invest in a good pair of walking shoes or look into public transportation. If you buy something on credit you have to pay for it, it’s as simple as that. You obviously waited too long and may have been able to make arrangements if you had tried beforehand. :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

She never said she thought it was hers people are rude as heck on here she is asking how to get it back not what your opinions are so keep them to your self

All companies are different some let you pay the three past due payments plus the tow fee to get it back or you gotta pay the whole loan! You should of called them before to see if they give an extension my bank gives two - months I’m sorry not having a car really sucks having a repo stays on your credit for years up to 7 back in 2017 I had to file just bankruptcy to start all over and get that removed

I think you’d at least have to come current with payments and also all the tow fees and other fees but it really depends on the finance company… you can call them and they will tell you what you need to do…

They charge you for the car+towing and service charges! You can probably find a used one for less. Bus it until you can save to buy one for 1500. Lots of them on Market place in FB

At this point, you either pay the back amount, pay in full or walk away. Lesson learned is to talk to your finance company and see if they will move payments to the end of the term to give you immediate relief or if they would refinance for lower payments. But at this point it’s too late for those.

2 Likes

You pay the 3 months you missed and don’t miss anymore payment.

Contact creditor. You’ll most likely have to bring the payments into good standing, plus some.

Pay your bill, simple :thinking::person_facepalming::joy:

Some ppl on here just rude she didn’t ask for anyone to be rude she asked how she would get it back some of y’all act like y’all ain’t never missed a payments been behind on a bill. Such perfect ppl you must be

Call the finance company

You need to call the finance company. To be honest there may not be much more you can do now depending on what their policy is. Some won’t work with you at all after repo is done. Some require all over due payments and the tow and recovery fees to be paid to get it back. And others will give you an offer to pay the vehicle off in full or they will auction it or sell it themselves to recover their loss.

It is super important to keep in contact with your finance company if you fall behind at all. By law in most states they can come take your vehicle as soon as you are late. Most try to work with you as long as you stay in good communication with them and explain what’s going on and when you can pay. Others come get the car being only a few days late. You really just have to call them and ask about your options

Call the finance company and they’ll direct you to the forwarding company and they’ll put you in contact with the company that towed your car and impounded it. There might be extra fees involved before you get your car back and you’ll have to make it current or make a payment to get it back

They will give you an option to pay the storage, repo and tow fees approximately 1000 bucks

Or buy it at the auction lot if you the dealer connection

You’ll have to pay the 3 months you are behind plus the towing fee.