How to get toddler to sleep in their own bed?

Hey mamas! Good morning!

I put my two year old son to sleep at night in HIS bed. By 1 or 2 am he comes into my room. I’ve been trying to break the habit, but it’s so hard! If i go Back into his room n put him back to sleep he gets up again like every hour or two. If i just let him in my bed he sleeps til 7-8. My fiancé is on the couch!! :weary: any tips for me! I’m struggling :disappointed:

TIA :heart:

4 Likes

I wish I knew! We’re dealing with the same thing

4 Likes

My youngest is 1.5 years old. He shares with his 7 year old brother. I put a gate across (I sleep right across the hall) so he isnt running around at night. I can get up if he fusses, usually he just soothes himself and goes back to bed himself

1 Like

Sigh… mine is still in his dock a tot. The struggle is real :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Stick with it! Let him pick out what bedding and nightlight he wants. Make it a routine. Same time every night, read a book or sing a song, say a prayer, check for monsters… whatever. Eventually, he will be ok. But the more you give in, the more he will learn it’s ok, Mommy will let me snuggle.

Keep putting him back in his bed.

1 Like

Baby gate him in his own room. Use a baby monitor if it makes you feel better

We deal with the same thing with our 3 year old daughter she does it to and we never co slept with her at all we have night lights and everything in her room we’ve tried everything possible even put a baby gate across her room and she climbs over it and ends up in our room

2 Likes

Soon you will be begging him to spend time with you. It’s just a phase. It will pass all too quickly.

3 Likes

Agreed! Consistency girl! It’ll be a rough few nights for you, but it will pass :kissing_heart:

1 Like

We have kind of a ritual. Start early in day starting to talk about importance of staying in his own bed. Give melatonin 3-6mg one hour before bedtime. Sometimes add 12.5 mg Benadryl. Go to bedroom, read a story. Say bedtime prayer. Turn off lights, lie with him till asleep (5-10 min). Sleeps all night 90% of the time. All elements of ritual are important.

1 Like

My niece has had this problem since she was born. Shes special needs but now shes nearly 7. I’ve been her caregiver since her birth but shes not left my bed. Now I’m pregnant and need the move room and shes raising hell about it. :confounded:

1 Like

Be persistent, keep putting him back in bed. It’s exhausting but if he knows you’ll eventually give in, he’ll just keep doing it.

2 Likes

Try putting a toddler bed up against one side of your bed. If he comes in to sleep have him sleep on the little bed. My son refused to sleep alone (we didn’t co sleep him by choice, we had an incident with a sitter) and for the first 18 months after (until he was 2) he would only sleep if he was touching my husband or myself. Once we put the toddler bed next to ours he started sleeping in it on his own

1 Like

Be consistent. Not quite sure how we did it but our 2yr old won’t get out of his bed unless we tell him it’s okay. :sweat_smile:that goes for bedtime as well as nap time. I’m just like “I’ll take it”:rofl::woman_shrugging:t2: not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

2 Likes

I’m dealing with the same… Mine is currently in a sleeping bag in my bedroom floor. I put the pallet on the floor when I put him in HIS bed, cuz I knew it would only be a couple hours before he was in my bed… Maybe you could try a pallet by your bed?? I’m just trying to wean him out of wanting to sleep with me. He has never been a co sleep baby. He literally just started in within the last few months. But the pallet next to my bed has helped a lot considering he’s still asleep and he would normally be up by 6 when I get his sister up for school…

2 Likes

He’s 2…get a bigger bed lol

2 Likes

My 2 year old does that and I just let him stay in bed with me. Me sleeping is more important than making sure he stays in his bed.

1 Like

try and stay in his room with him till falls asleep and try and sneak out or try baby gate

My oldest is 6 and my twins are 4 lol same time every night 2 or 3 eh they wont do it forever we just deal lol

2 Likes

Want to join a supportive, and non judgmental mom group?

Join Moms & Machines

1 Like

You got stay consistent on putting him back into his. Keep doing it. Try white noise machine. It going take few weeks but dont give up. Stay on top of it

1 Like

Toddler bed or even the mattress from a toddler bed next to yours worked wonders with both my kids.

2 Likes

If you let it slide once your just making it worse. Yes it sucks but keep getting up and putting him back in his bed

1 Like

Maybe try a treat? Like tell your kiddo if he stays in his bed all night you’ll make pancakes in the morning?

1 Like

My daughter slept with me till she was at least 5. She is now 7 and sleeps on her own. It wasn’t till I met my boyfriend that she stopped. I gave her boundaries and such. Explained to her why she needs to sleep in her own bed. Made her room special so she enjoyed it and put a night light in her room. Also made her favorite stuffy smell like me.

1 Like

I had this problem … So I bought the glow in the dark star/moon set. painted the ceiling dark blue. And they loved it… Sometimes you have to think outside of the box. I also did the sticker chart, where they earned an outing or a toy. Sometimes you have to get creative and think outside the box
The best thing any child enjoys is earning rewards in their life. And they thrive on showing off their achievements…

2 Likes

Whatever you do, please do not put a gate up with an open door :woman_facepalming:t3: for those that don’t think it’s serious, and do this with your children, please go to closeyourdoor.org
any fire fighter or medic will tell you, it saved your babies lives God forbid a fire start at night!

2 Likes

Have you tried a large :teddy_bear: for him to have something touching his body as he sleeps makes it feel like you are there.:teddy_bear:

1 Like

My little one slept in my bed until she was 3 and then I just discussed what we were doing with transitioning into her own big girl bed and we decorated it like a princess because that’s what she loves and she was happy as can be . She will only comes in for the occasional snuggle and other than that stays in her bed. I would decorate it with his favorite things make it cozy and discuss it with him. And just be consistent momma :heart:

2 Likes

Try a sound machine or a fan me and my 2 year old cant sleep well without one and he sleeps so much better with one

I did the whole race car bed it’s a literal car bc he loves cars lol STILL comes to me !! It’s so hard! :heart:

Get a bigger bed! If u still ok with it…they ain’t little long, and you miss it, I promise…

1 Like

Easy fix, lock you door, don’t get up. He will give up quick enough.

I did the hall make their bed room special thing. It helps a little bit, but honestly my seven-year-old still crawling in the bed with us. So unless you and your spouse are on the same page you’re going to have to keep dealing with it or you could put your foot down and lock your bedroom door. Really it’s up to you and what you want to do there are a ton of other different ways to break the habit.

Keep doing it, hell stop

I put a jumper of mine unwashed so it smells off me and a big teddy so pretends I’m in there and bare in mind I’ve only used this method cot about week it works.

it’s just a detachment phase - give him another form of security at night & he’ll settle x