How to help someone who is bi polar?

I’m bipolar, and completely see where this is sounds like a low episode to me as long as he’s taking medication there’s not much more than maybe have the dose changed while in the episode we can’t take antidepressants due to the fact it can cause a manic episode which is way worse,I take my medication everyday and still get episodes there no stopping it so the fact people are saying he’s not taking his medication is bull…He might have but not always the case, drinking is a issue that does need to be kept to a minimum it effects the way medication works,It’s hard but it doesn’t mean we can’t be loved to love these comments are super selfish, if you truly care you’ll help him through it you need to be willing to be able to have to go through this because it won’t only happen once this is with you for life, before you do anything else you need to think about if your ready to start a life with someone who has mental health problems

3 Likes

You don’t fix it, you support him while he fixes it. Does he have a therapist? Sounds like he needs to speak to one, and maybe have his meds adjusted. Don’t listen to all these ignorant assholes saying bad things about people with bipolar. Not everyone with bipolar is bad, and with enough communication, compassion, and treatment bipolar people can and do have healthy lives complete with healthy relationships. He just needs to be on top of keeping his treatment team in the loop, and on top of maintaining treatment outside of appointments.

They thought I had bipolar. I’ve read so much research on it, and I was deep in the bipolar community for many years. Do not listen to the assholes. Listen to your experience, and the advice you feel is helpful. Non of us know either of you please don’t judge him off these horrible ableist ignorant comments.

He should not be drinking while taking bipolar meds. That explains his change in mood

2 Likes

As someone who is Bipolar and on meds, he should not be drinking. He risks drug interactions plus even sans meds, alcohol just perpetuates the cycle of depression. As for you, he may not be pushing you away so much as he is pulling himself away. He may not have the words to express how he’s feeling, I know this happens to me from time to time. The best thing you can do is offer your support and help, but understand he may not take it.

1 Like

It’s not a fixable issue. It is part of who he is. The medication helps, the drinking doesn’t. Having a mental illness can often be draining. It takes so much energy to do the basic things in life that they are sometimes left with no emotional energy for anything else in life. This up and down, hi and low, is their normal. Meds help, council helps but that requires them to we willingly do these things.

1 Like

Get out!!! Now he’s showing who he is.

2 Likes

Give him space and let him know you will be there for him

Walk away. You have a son . . And to stay w someone n care for someone that drinks like that . . .walk away! If he wants to help himself, he will. Your responsibility is not him, it’s your son and yourself. Plus, men don’t need to be Dr. Philled by their women, not your job!

2 Likes

It’s admirable that you are wanting to throw a lifeline to pull him out of the crevasse that is the downside of bi-polar disorder, the problem your facing with the MAJOR alcohol use on top of his condition is that you wont pull him out of this with a bulldozer, either he ends the drinkin or you and your child better put on your crash helmets

3 Likes

Get out, trust me. Save you and your son mountains of pain and heartache.

5 Likes

He is depressed and Is self medicating with alcohol. You can’t fix his behavior, the honeymoon is over and he is showing you his true self.

4 Likes

But polar plus liquor bad dual. Problem isn’t the mental disorder if he is on meds but alcoholism is a problem A big problem

5 Likes

He Needs “AA” He’s Drinking too Much & Check up he’s Medicine isn’t working & He needs a Doctors Visit ASAP!!..Facebook & You Can’t Help Him " Seek Medical Care Immediately "…( He’s not well & Alcohol won’t fix his Problem & You can’t Help fix him & It will only get Worse)…BI-Polar & Alcohol don’t mix well…He needs help Before He Snaps on You or Your Child. Your Child doesn’t deserve to be Caught in the Crossfire of Explosive Behavior & hurt…Get Medical help before its too late.

2 Likes

Show him this post if he won’t really talk to you about what’s going on.

1 Like

He could be off his medication or the alcohol is conflicting with his meds. Or possibly just getting comfortable with you, now he’s not “trying to win you over” I would express to him how you feel and find out what is going on with him.

4 Likes

Be smart. Keep your distance. You don’t need to bring a baby into this mess. You say you want “the best for him”. Your priority should be what is best for your son.

6 Likes

Young one - you can not “fix it” - he’s on meds ( for a chemical imbalance) but drinking on them cause the chemicals not work in way they are suppose to. Also remember “we” as humans run true to form eventually. The old say - honeymoons over-
You’ve gotta ask yourself- do you want him as a role model -( drinking- not meaning chemical imbalance )
It takes a special kind of person - with patience, understanding, support, and love. Both my Brothers have chemical imbalances - both married long (30+ and 20+ years) - :wink: strong wives -

4 Likes

He could be going through a depressive episode, unfortunately if his means of ploughing through is through the bottle then it’s obviously messing with his meds too so getting out of that funk may take longer, or he has a co existing alcohol abuse disorder that he has managed to keep hidden from you up until now. So as someone who knows how distant I can get when depressed and who used to self medicate with booze the last thing you want to do is to to turn into his hero encourage him to go see a doctor and what not but do not feel it’s your responsibility to bring the parts you love about him back, it will most likely drain you unless he is working harder to manage his condition in such situations I feel one should be the support system and not the pillar esp because you have your kid to think about. All the best though and he is lucky to have you in his corner.

It’s dangerous to drink & be on those meds.
Personally, step back a bit. Let him know if he needs you to contact you but your son shouldn’t see this behavior.
Talk to him honestly & see what he says. Your may need to realize, you can’t fix him or help him uf he won’t help himself.

4 Likes

If he is bipolar II of course sex life is great, when he is in manía cycle, now he is in the depression part.
You cant fix him, they don’t realize he is hurting you. Either you fully understand his cycle and be honest if you can handle it or it will be better to go and safe yourself and your son even more pain.
Remember its cycles he will go through, you have never really know him

you can’t drink to excess as he is and still be taking his medication i say he isn’t taking his medication. I think it is time to move you to move on before it gets physical and not in a good way. you can’t be his mother.

4 Likes

It’s the alcohol. It will interfere with his medication. He should NOT drink, other than minimally. Either the beer goes… or you do. Please put YOUR happiness first. This is a losing battle.

Run. Run fast and run fast.

Sounds like a depressive episode. My personal experience…. Give it time if you want. Distance yourself until he is ready. He probably needs space and you don’t know what he’s fighting in his head- being at war with yourself is the most exhausting thing you could experience.

You get proper cousling.
If he drinking that much a day.
It time to step away from it.
Now ,you can’t fix him He need professional help.

2 Likes

As a bi polar manic depressive i urge you to stop and think. Its a lifelong disease that alcohol only makes worse. I understand self medicating all to well. Unfortunately 85 percent of relationships with a bi polar dont work. Its a horrible disease that takes someone fully committed to their happiness. He isnt there yet. Im 44 its a daily struggle ive been divorced three times. Much love

4 Likes

You want someone who is healthy. It is possible to live with Bipolar disorder but with lots of support. It is dangerous to mix psych meds and alcohol. I would be very careful and be cautious before continuing.

1 Like

Taking bipolar meds and drinking is a huge no no. He may be off his meds.

1 Like

He is off his meds and self medicating and is in a depressive state education is key the more you learn the more you can help point out your concerns don’t be rude or mean and let him know that you are there when he is ready and don’t push l have bi polar and take meds and l educated myself so l can stop my highs and lows and l am ok when someone points out things to me know good luck you got this he will talk when he is ready

If he is drinking like that …and taking meds you will see him change more and you cannot change someone that don’t want to change…what if one day he is drinking and he hits you or your son? Alcohol with medicine like that slowly can destroy him. Get out now …it’s not like you been with him for 15 to 20 years and built a life with him…especially since you have a son …then he is going to think drinking is ok with you

2 Likes

I did not even read your whole post. I was married to a man with what the doctor called, mood disorder. As my marriage went on it got worse and worse, even with him taking medicine. They can hide their true colors for quite a while. Get out before you’re in too deep!

2 Likes

As someone who lives with bi polar disorder these comments make me sad :cry:

7 Likes

As a person with bipolar, I normally would suggest that you do some research or perhaps join a couple facebook groups for spouces/partners of people with bipolar. THEN I read how much he drinks. Even if he wasn’t on meds that looks like alcoholism.

1 Like

He could be having an episode and you gotta just kinda be there and let him work threw it. Also with it being 1st part of the year he may not be able to afford his meds cause if he has insurance his deductible is probably high and if he is bipolar and on meds he definitely shouldn’t be drinking so much on meds

1 Like

First, look into co-dependents anonymous. You are not responsible for his happiness, and on top of that, bad behavior is not excused by mental disorders. It might help explain it, but it is not excused by it. You need to make very clear where your lines and boundaries are, and when he crosses those boundaries (e.g.: too much drinking, losing control, etc) make sure you don’t compromise because he “didn’t mean it”. You are not a doormat to be walked on, and you CAN have empathy and understanding without compromising yours or your child’s well-being.

1 Like