How to help these kids through this?

It’s too soon for anything, just let it be.

This is a tragic event for sure! I pray for all involved & going through this, including his family.
Please find counseling for your daughter & the professionals will help guide her & teach her how to best understand her feelings & fears, first & foremost. (While he is hospitalized, getting the care he needs, they’ll address his mental state as well) As your daughter learns, then she can help, teach & comfort him. They’ll learn together, so to speak. And please remember, she’s only 16. Some adults would truly struggle with this type situation.
Prayers for all

Is she interested in the work a PSW does? If not she is not going to be able to handle his needs in the future.

Praying for him. There are paralyzed rats walking around due to stem cells and with cultivated skin cells. Don’t loose hope. I’m so sorry for the both of them. She is going to deal with caregiver fatigue and have moments prob and if she won’t talk to you then therapy tbh the both would have value. Love her and support her decision. How heartbreaking for him and her along with the families since y’all are close.

Have a social worker from the hospital come in and speak to them

I would tell her as her mother they she has no obligation to commit long term to him and it’s may not work out and that’s okay because she’s so young and that is a huge commitment (hate all you want I wouldn’t want my ddaughters going through that) and the relationship will most likely take a hard hit because that poor boy will need to relearn his whole life and he shouldn’t have to worry about a girlfriend while he’s doing that so really you have to talk to your daughter and have her think about if there relationship will do both of them more harm then good at this time or if she just feels obligated to stay with him which wouldn’t be fair to either of them

2 Likes

Bless her heart! And so many prayers for him and his family! However at 16 it is great to be there every step of the way, but also at 16 (accident or not) they are both still kids and no need to worry about life commitments right now. There is plenty of time for that down the road. That being said, encouraging both of them to keep going day by day and give them both the love and support they both need! She is a gem! Also in the future…I hope it works out for them both and as long as they are happy, that’s what matters! I know if it was me, I’d never leave him either, but on both sides him and her, you can’t predict future until you get out of school and college. If she goes to a college in another state for 3-4 yrs hard to say how either one will end up.