How to keep curly hair healthy?

So my daughter has super curly hair (I have straight hair) the first two inches from her scalp are straight but the rest is tight coils is this normal for longer curly hair it’s shoulder length when dry but when wet and brushed it’s down to her bottom. What are some good products to use to help it stay healthy?

2 Likes

Yes it’s normal for the hair to be straight then curly .
As for products really isn’t a rule as to which is best it’s all what works best for her the best of the best products could cause damage versus a cheaper brand as crappy as it sounds you most likely will have to try a few before you find the right one some weigh the hair down some might be to greasy or dry just make sure you use a leave in conditioner cool water :droplet: never hot and brush/ detangle in shower and air dry the hair you can use gel as well, also only wash like 1 or twice a week

Definitely normal to lengthen when brushed. It’s a journey finding the right products. For me I use Cantù shampoo and conditioner with a leave in conditioner by them, a hair oil spray, and I use a silk/satin bonnet when sleeping. I don’t wash mine every day. I’d say once every couple days because it dries it out. Definitely look at moisturizing stuff. Curly hair is naturally more dry than straight hair. Depending on how old your daughter is the curls may not stay long. My daughters hair was curly until her second/third hair cut and now it’s straight with a slight wave to it. Baby curls don’t last forever and once they are gone idk if you can get them back.

Never brush hair wet, it is more fragile like paper when wet. brush hair before you wash it and finger comb it in the shower or use a wide tooth comb. It’s straight at the roots because of the weight of her hair pulling it down. You’ll have to test different products for what works in that department.