How to manage anxiety in pregnancy?

I’m 18 weeks pregnant and I have serve anxiety. I haven’t had any problems with it for many months now. Yesterday morning I woke up with a bad feeling in my chest. Well it eventually turned into a panic attack last night. I was able to claim myself down I tried calling the on call nurse but never got a call back. So I went to sleep. I woke up around 4 am with REALLY bad anxiety again. I was just wondering how other people handled it? I’m waiting to call my drs office and hopefully get some help but would like some help in the mean time!

1 Like

I’ve dealt with anxiety all my life but with my last pregnancy it was horrible. I was put on meds that were safe during pregnancy. Also, trying to keep your mind busy helps. Coloring, a movie that makes u laugh, play a game on your phone, also helps to put a cold wash cloth on your neck or face, also drink ice water… chew gum or suck on a peppermint candy! I found some of these help me ease some of my panic attacks.

I also had really severe anxiety during my pregnancy. I mean, I’ve had bad anxiety for as long as I can remember, but my anxiety only got worse during pregnancy. I had multiple panic attacks throughout my pregnancy and it got to the point where I hospitalized myself to learn coping behaviors. I found things that helped me were hot showers, listening to calming music, meditation, and deep breathing activities. Believe it or not my weighted blanket actually worked magic when I would start feeling a panic attack coming on. Do you live with your partner? I found that mine had a calming effect on me when he’d rub my back and stroke my hair while I laid under my weighted blanket.