How to manage postpartum depression?

I recently gave birth to a baby boy on April 30tf. The first week everything was good. After that, I feel anxious, like really anxious sometimes; it’s worst when I’m out in public, or I hear a lot of noise, and it gets me more anxious being out in public. I try to control it. They told me I had chronic depression with PPD. I mentally feel tired and sick; I don’t even want to eat. I feel like the medication doesn’t work. I feel frustrated I don’t want to hurt myself or my baby, but I feel like a terrible mother because I can’t even function properly and be a mother to my other daughters. How can I manage my anxiety? It gets so bad that I can’t tolerate a lot of noise I get angry then I cry a lot I just feel lost and tired of it all.

15 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to manage postpartum depression? - Mamas Uncut

Talk to your dr. Tell them tye med isnt working and start a new one. Also do you have anyone who can help with baby?

Yes welcome to the wonderful world of Motherhood that really isn’t talked about enough.
I did not realize I was experiencing this until my 3rd child.
12+ yrs later & im still coping.
I was placed on prescription meds and it made me feel like a zombie so I did not continue on that path.
I have no real solution I’ve just adapted to my new self and feelings and try to be the best momma I can be.

2 Likes

Cbd is great for anxiety. I would see your doctor too tho.

I had severe ppd in 2018 after having my son. My OB gave me 50mg a day of Zoloft, and it did nothing. She said give it time. I didn’t have time because I knew it would get worse before it got better. I had to advocate for my own mental health, and went to my psychiatrist(same one since 2016) with the baby crying my eyes out explaining everything about how I was feeling. He immediately switched my meds and besides a med change and a couple tweaks of the dosages I’ve been feeling so much better.

You really need to see your dr. And soon.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to manage postpartum depression? - Mamas Uncut

You may just need your meds adjusted. It took me a really long time to just feel a little normal after having my last baby and he’s two now. I’m pregnant again and had to go off my meds completely so I’m struggling really hard now. The meds definitely helped but it took close to 6 months before I started to notice a difference. Hang in they momma. I’ve also found that the combination of therapy and meds work very well.

I had crazy bad PP anxiety. I would imagine crazy things happening like when we drove over a bridge I would see us in the ditch and me not being able to get my baby out. I had to take a deep breath each time a bad thought happened and tell myself that we were both ok and the likelihood of whatever bad thing that I was imagining was very slim and bring myself back to reality. It took some time but taking things slowly helped and making sure that I kept telling myself that we were both ok and things were going to be ok

You’re not a terrible mother. We all need a little help sometimes and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. The fact that you want to get better, shows your doing exactly what a mother should. Talk to your dr and try a few medications until you find one that works for you. Keep your head up and know that things won’t always be this way. You got this!

Please reach out to your Dr , prayers and lots of love

1 Like

Try to keep a normal routine. Do normal stuff even when it’s hard. Take a long shower or bath, get dressed, take a walk, visit a friend, nap, try to eat well, do something for yourself everyday. See your doctor, take any medication prescribed, get some therapy, etc. PPD is hard, but you will get back to yourself in time. But, give yourself that time.

Therapy has helped a lot with the postpartum some of my friends experienced. Just talking to someone to help them figure things out and walk them through experiences helped them with their anxiety and their depression.

3 Likes

Try to seek counseling. No, it doesn’t mean something is wrong with you or you failed. We ALL need someone to talk to. Thank you for asking for advice! A lot of Mamas are shamed for it. Do you have a support system? Some times, people who never experienced PPD won’t understand and it leaves us feeling alone. Take them w/ you to therapy so someone else can explain that this is indeed a real thing and that you need help. If you have someone to alleviate you for an hour or two a day. So you can just gather your thoughts. Not even focus on household duties, but YOU, it may help. People take taking showers in peace for granted lol. Fresh air, mommy dates. Pairing up with other mamas and their babies. And if you have none of the above, my
Inbox is always open :heart:

3 Likes

Try Buspirone! You can breastfeed on it or be pregnant with it. But honestly find some things to do daily that make you feel better… time outside, scheduled time a lone if possible, showering and getting ready every day, skin care routine and vitamins or supplements, etc. whatever your self care looks like. Keep being honest about it to those around you and see a therapist perhaps to help?

2 Likes

Antidepressants take more than a week to work. Once they kick in the sickness will subside and youl feel like yourself again. Just give it a bit to uptake in your brain.

3 Likes

I’m sorry you’re going through it. The thing that helped me the most was talking it through with friends that can relate. It helped me not feel so guilty. And the fact your reaching out for help makes you a good mom, please remember that.

1 Like

I would see an SRT or SE trained therapist to help regulate your nervous system (it’s common after any trauma to experience this even without hormone fluctuations or being in a pandemic…and giving birth while amazing and normal is still overwhelming to the nervous system). These modalities can work quickly and gently and see symptom resolution often in a few sessions.

You are not a terrible mother. You are strong because you know something is different this time and are asking for help. It will get better.

2 Likes

My daughter is in her third trimester. Extreme anxiety. MW put her on Buspar. She’s like a new person and is heading into labor and delivery thinking positively.

Crazy I know, but try keeping your hands busy. Organize a drawer or closet… something small. Put all the mail in a stack. Rearrange the fridge. Stay off social media after 8:00pm (I find that my anxiety with PPD goes up whenever I scroll through apps of a night — I always come across things I don’t want to see or read). Take warm showers, avoids bath. Breathe in and out… know you are not alone. “This too shall pass” :heart: hang in there :black_heart::black_heart:

I felt like this 6mths after my 3rd daughter was born before I knew what was actually wrong with me. Went on anxiety medication and once I felt normal. I went off them. Talk with your doctor, The doctor explain to me that after we give birth our serotonin levels drop and sometimes don’t come back up and it needs help. Was only on the medication for 3 mths.

OMG so sorry to hear you are suffering so much…eat you have to give your brain food or you will be imagining worse things, tell someone, get help. Hormones drop so rapidly after giving birth is can shock the system in every way, treat each symptom.

Give the meds time to kick in. It takes about a month for them to fully work like they’re supposed to. In the meantime, try therapy. It can be so helpful to be able to unload all the anxiety and stress to someone who can help you navigate the situation in a healthy way. Good luck mama, this too shall pass :heart:

Don’t tolerate it. Call a psychiatrist and get on some anti-anxiety meds. You don’t have to live that way!

Wish i had ur guts when i had my babies 30 years ago… having a support circle helps

Seek professional help, post partum depression is nothing to take lightly.
Best wishes!

((Hugs)) and Praying for u.

1 Like

Back to the dr for different meds

1 Like

Get a full thyroid panel done!

It takes approximately 4 weeks for anti-depressants to work. How long have you been taking them?

2 Likes

Go to your doctor. Eat right. Gut health is related to hormones.

Go see a psychiatrist and a therapist

I use Theramu CBD oil strictly for anxiety and depression

1 Like

Go back to your doctor and seek out psychiatrists, they can help with meds as well. I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through. I am sorry you’re feeling this way. I was put on paxil and diazepam and they both helped tremendously

Please talk to someone. :pray:t5:

Really. Are you looking for answers on Facebook. This is serious, you need professional help. Ask someone to find therapist
. Wish you all the best. This condition is curable.

I’m 71 years old & I feel this .

Counseling and medication with time

Call your doctor right now. Right, NOW.

A little progesterone cream might really help.

Cousiling I started going for a reason and now that it is “resolved” I still go! Everyone needs someone that is not going to take sides to listen.

We all need help! Doesn’t make you a bad mom.