How to nurse through teething?

I have a nursing question. My son is 4 months old and starting to teeth. While nursing him he will bite me and pull away while bitting me. How do I make teething and nurse not so painful?

3 Likes

You can also say no. Stop the session and nurse again in a little while.

3 Likes

Nipple shield! When my nipples were really sore and a little cracked they were a lifesaver!

Nipple shields. I had to do it with my now 4 year old and she didn’t even have teeth when she started but it hurt so bad!

My daughter is 1 year and 6 months and she bites me, once she does I tell her no sternly and stop nursing her. If shes still hungry and crying I let her nurse but tell her to be nice.

1 Like

Before my baby had teeth he was doing that. I would firmly say no and pull away. Tell him that hurts mommy then let him latch again. After the third time I’d end the session. Didn’t take long for him to learn. Now he’s got 3 teeth and it rarely happens. If it does I keep the same routine. Firmly say No. and unlatch.

2 Likes

He may not understand straight away but the more you say no and to be nice he will get it, nipple shields are a lifesaver!

1 Like

Unlatch him, firmly but calmly say no no or ow, put him down and walk away for a minute EVERY time he does it. He’ll learn biting means no milkies.

1 Like

I found that mine would do this when their mouths hurt.

I always took my boob away when she would bite and tell her no no then after counting to 10 or 15 give it back to her. Each time she bit I would lengthen my count by 5. Had the habit broke in less than a week cause she just wanted her boob. Good luck mama

Stop nursing him when he bites. And dont give him more than that as a reaction. Mine is 11 months old and thinks it’s a funny game.

Remove him from breast and set him down when he bites wait a few minutes pick him back up and nurse again do this EVERY TIME and shortly he will learn that it’s not ok to do that while nursing

2 Likes

I watched videos and was prepared for this with my daughter. They say not to respond any louder than you have to (haha) and to say “no biting!” and set them down for a minute as a “consequence” so that they learn that biting means “no milk”.

After she did it a 2nd time, I realized why she was doing it (she was done but staying on the nipple and “playing”), so I learned to pull her off as soon as she stopped sucking and it hasn’t happened since. She’s 16 months now. :blush::+1: So, finding out why might help you to prevent the pain in the first place.

You mentioned pain, did you mean due to the biting or are you having nipple pain from breastfeeding in general?