How to parent a strong willed toddler?

I’m a grandmother of 3 girls and my youngest a boy. He is very well behaved as they all are. Parents are overwhelmed with working parenting being a lover a best friend a wife paying bills keeping house clean and changes. Do something that takes your time to interact more your kids. Hire a house cleaning service. Have your groceries delivered.

1 Like

I’ve got two boys myself.
First its important to understand even 2 year olds who do have decent vocabulary for their age…often have bigger feelings than they know how to express.
Second thing is that 2 year olds are very impulsive and… physical beings. Meaning that thier first “instict” is to use physical actions to communicate.

It’s our job as parents to help them and correct them.

First. You mentioned that your little has a limited vocabulary. That on it’s own can cause issues. Take some pictures of things around the house that he likes and wants print them out and put them in a cheap album. When he’s wanting something and you cant understand him…use that to help him.

If hes wanting something he cant or shouldn’t have…give him alternatives if possible. For example…No you cant have chips right now how about an apple instead

Theres different ways to handle tantrums. For my oldest…ignoring the tantrum and him until he calmed down was the most effective way.
Same with hitting and such. I’d get up and move away from him and I didnt acknowledge him until he calmed down.
If he kept trying to get something he shouldn’t have I’d block his path and just ignore his tantrum.

Once it was over (this is important) I would give him a hug and tell him that I loved him. That I knew he was [insert feeling] but [insert behavior] is not ok.
Maybe offer alternative behavior if you think he’ll understand

With my youngest…time out and hugs were more effective.
Time out for not listening, being mean, or getting into things he’d been told no on.
Hugs if he was just simply frustrated/upset.
Then the same…reminding him that I love him and I understand but we cant do xyz and giving him other suggestions.

1 Like

Keep him busy and go with him to the shepherd of the hill they going to help you God love s you and we to

1 Like

Patience and calming speaking to them… I found with my son that if I sat down and spoke to him about the situation verses getting upset - it worked out so much better in many cases

Patience, lots of love, talking to them like an adult and removing all dyes from food. My son has done a total 360 since doing all this

A little swat on the but wouldn’t hurt at all!! Might just put him in his place!

My husband’s grandfather said if you can’t control them when they are young, you will not be able to assist with their growth when they are older. Mean your business, and follow through!! Doesn’t mean beating them, just give them consequences, and stick to it!!

We had to set consequences with our strong willed child. Be very clear on what is expected, set clear consequences and FOLLOW THROUGH. Our boy would sometimes choose consequences rather than doing what was asked, but he always learned that there are consequences for his behavior-good and bad! Hang in there, you are doing the best you can. Your child has his own mind, and from your questions, his “poor” behavior is NOT your fault. Strong willed are often strong leaders!

Measure your battles and then stick to them. The word NO loses its effect if you say it too often

1 Like

As a mom to five kids I’ve learned to avoid the struggle. And I don’t mean ignore the tantrum because that doesn’t solve anything. When my kids throw a tantrum I sit down with them and I keep a calm and collected tone in my voice and speak in a soft voice. I let them know that I understand they are upset and that they can’t quite tell me what’s wrong, and then I let them tire themselves out. When they are done crying or screaming or whatever I hug them and ask if we can fix it and to use our big words or to show me what is wrong. Little ones have big feelings just like we do they just can’t tell us what’s going on and if I can sit down and have a good cry then they can too.

3 Likes

I would let him work out his frustration with his fit. When he begins, tell him when he does that, it means it’s nap time. He has a choice. Go with you or go to bed. If he says something else, tell him that is not one of the choices.

1 Like

Look mine is 24 now he was the kicker spitting and slapper lovely child. At 11 he told me I wasn’t his boss and couldn’t tell him what to do well I found him a boss at the police station 20 min conversation with him cry cause he treated me so poorly. You know the one that gets up early to make a homemade breakfast for 2 kids before I go to work yup me. It got me 3 good years. Long story short barely graduated did nothing for 6 months ok options work go to school or get out. He is now in electrical huge saver all round good kid. I got lucky with a lot of crying so your not alone

I use to point at everything and say what it was then try to get them to say it was kind of a game.i also had the abc all around the room at the top of the wall. We said the abc every night and then pray to God. It was a nightly routine we did it every night. And i read to them.

1 Like

Don’t cave if you warn. If you threaten, you have to follow through.

Let him have a 3 minute fit and then get a water bottle and tell him times up and squirt him a fewtimes

Teach sign language to help communicate simple words eat more help

What is his birthdate.

Swat his ass now while you can!