How to potty train a boy?

I’m in the middle of potty training my 2 (almost 3 in September) year old son. It’s been going well for months with the whole peeing part, but I can’t get him to poop in the potty to save my life! We’ve tried praise and rewards like stickers and candies, which worked really well with the peeing thing, and even offered to double it if he started pooping in the potty, but that didn’t work, so we went to throwing away something every time he pooped in his pants (seems to mean I know but desperate acts) and throwing away undies if he went potty in them. Nothing seems to be working! He knows when he has to poop and knows when he needs to be changed but just won’t use the potty. We don’t do the throwing things away thing anymore since that didn’t work, and no rewards seem enticing enough. He has a small potty and a seat for the big potty already…any advice?

9 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train a boy? - Mamas Uncut

Following! Trying to potty train my 2.5 year old and it’s been so hard. :see_no_evil:

My son will be 4 in September and we just got him potty trained about a month ago. I had to just cut out pull ups and diapers all together and only use underwear or when we are home he would wear nothing. It helped a lot! Also when we first started (this was our third round of attempting potty training) he wouldn’t poop. I took one of his favorite dinosaur toys and a piece of a tootsy roll and put dinosaur on the potty “he pooped” we all cheered. It took a few times and a few different toys but my son did go poop! We tried everything but the toy pooping and no underwear or pull ups helped too!

Boys are lazy both of my boys pooped in their pants and just didn’t care!. I tried stickers, rewards with treats, anything that would work. Eventually they get it just takes time. My boys were probably closer to 4 when they started going on the toilet. Just be patient good luck!

My son will be 3 in December and we are in the same boat. He will excitedly run to pee in his potty but has no interest in using it to poop.

Following for help as well.

My son is 3 1/2 and still won’t poop on the potty :expressionless: we only wear a pull up at night. He will just poop in his undies he does not care

It just takes time and patience and continue rewards, my son was almost 3 when we started trying to potty train and it didn’t quite click till he was about 2 months after his 3rd birthday when something changed and he started going just fine all of a sudden. Since then he’s only had a few accidents and he’s 4.5. Same with my daughter though she’s more stubborn, she just turned 3, we started a few months before her 3rd birthday trying to potty train and nothing clicked very well until she decided she was ready now she goes just fine!

Every child is different, just be patient! my grandson just turned 4 and is finally well on his way to being fully potty trained but he still has poop accidents :woman_shrugging:

My son went through the same thing. Absolutely refused to poop on the potty. Shortly after he turned around 3 and a half he just decided he was done with pull ups and hasn’t looked back. I swear, he knew what to do, he just didn’t want to. Eventually it will click and he will want to. Until then just be persistent as possible and have everyone ( your comfortable with obviously) take him to the bathroom with them. ( we literally tried for almost a year every day). Little boys are stubborn, if your confident he knows what to do, he will eventually get with the program. ( son is now almost 5 and once he decided he was done with pull ups… HE WAS DONE. Haven’t needed one since)

1 Like

I have the same issue! #help

Bec Harris you are not the only one :point_up:

1 Like

I am no help personally but have read many of time’s about parents putting the child on the big toilet backwards with whiteboard marker to draw until the jobs finished. Hope you find a resolution

Omg this is so good to read! My son will be 4 in October and I can’t get him to tell me when he needs to go or anything yet! I was on the verge of giving up :woman_facepalming:t4: it’s so frustrating

1 Like

Have you tried letting him pick out his own underwear. Consistency is the key. My son turned 3 in February. He’s been potty trained since a few months before he turned 3. He was opposite thought he’d poop every time in the potty and it was peeing we had to get him to figure out. Does he sit or stand on the potty to pee? Sometimes it can be a fear of sitting on the potty

When my son had a bowel
Movement in his underwear we would go in the bathroom and put the poop in the potty. We waved goodbye and made it fun. All clean up was in the bathroom like a big boy. No laying down and doing diaper changes at 3.

3 Likes

My son has a potty chair. I took a pull up and placed it in the potty chair and had him sit on it. So it makes him think he’s going in the pull up he goes both but it’s getting him to tell me when he has to go now

I had this issue w/ my son. One day I just HAD. IT. I knew he had to poop. He knew he had to poop, so I sat him on the potty. And we sat. And he screamed bloody murder for almost 40 mins straight. And still we sat until he just couldn’t hold it any longer and finally pooped in the potty. After which he beamed happily and said, “I didn’t know pooping on the potty was so much cleaner!” (He would gag at the sight and smell of his poop in his pull ups.) And he pooped on the potty from that day on. The end.

1 Like

You got that right!
I thought I was afraid I would have to put training pants in his lunch box, when he was a pre school.

The first week was the hardest for my son he would wait till nighttime when the pull up was back on him but the fourth day he finally had to go during the day and so I had him with just a shirt on and then he ran to the potty and went #2 we used the potty whiz app on my phone,sticker chart and let him pick out his own underwear too

I am in the exact situation. My baby will be 2 1/2 in July. Will not poop in potty to save my life. :scream: he will go in the shower and do it. Or wait til we go outside and go there. We live in the middle of the desert so he’s used to pulling down his shorts and just peeing outside. :woman_shrugging:

The average age o f boys to be fully trained is 3 1/2. Don’t worry he’ll come around. Just back off, he do it when your not looking!

The fact people know this is beyond me! And still demand the child train up is quit pathetic! The child will get a long better in his due time! Children are funny that keep encouraging them maybe a step stool for the shorties scard of toilet bowl or or some clapping hands when the achievement is done but never sit and watch under pressure I cant even poop!

1 Like

Mine went pee for a long time before he would ever poop. He was so scared to poop on the potty. He always wore underwear until he had to poop and then I had to put a diaper on him JUST TO POOP and pitch. I tried everything and nothing worked. Finally my husband told me to put an extremely small diaper on him so I did. I told him he was way too big for diapers and unless he wanted to poop on the floor then he was going to have to try the potty because there wasn’t any other options because he’s SO BIG now. It worked! He’s never needed a diaper or pull up again.

2 Likes

I am going to catch heck for this but my grandson refused to poop in the potty. So at 4, he went in his underwear, Smashed everywhere, and I put gloves on him and made him rinse them out in the toilet. Never happened again. I was done rewarding. Good Luck!

4 Likes

Same here… My three year old son refuses to poop in the potty. He will pee and not have a accident… But when it comes time to poop he tells me hes going to go hide to poop… I have put him on the potty and you’d think I was killing him the way he screams and cries… So he poops in his undies and we usually throw them away… Uggggg. Frustrating !!!

I let my son free ball in sweats and when he would poop it slid down his leg and he hated it, wouldnt move, cryed for me to clean him up. I let him stand there for 15 min or so reminding him this is why we dont poop our pant and it could cause owes. Then i made him clean it up by himself. He did it twice before he learned mom was no longer cleaning up his bm.

1 Like

After funny I forgot the “like”

Autumn Idk if there is anything insightful here.