How to potty train a boy?

My youngest is 3 years 5 months and we’re trying to potty train. We have had some signs but I haven’t pushed him as he gets quite stressed sometimes so I have waited for him. He never really liked the potty so we just got rid of it and stuck to the toilet. He has shown signs so we are taking it at his pace. I probably should mention my son is suspected to have additional needs and this is still on going through professionals and nursery and his brother is autistic. The good progress we have had, well great progress is he is copying his brother when he goes for a wee, mainly at night time though. My little one always follows everyone to the toilet anyway and he watches and no one has any private time anyway so what happens in the bathroom he is fully aware of BUT the problem is… He won’t sit down to poo! Bless his heart, he stands to pee ( won’t sit down on the toilet dispite having a training seat on) so he will stand like he’s gonna pee then just open his legs and pop out a poop then he becomes really upset which is why I would like some help on getting him to sit. When we try to sit him on he gets upset and walks out and I don’t want to make him have any bad experiences around toileting.
So what we do is take his nappy/pull up off, encourage him to copy his brother, wash his hands, have the step and training seat, we have tried reading stories in the bathroom, blowing bubbles didn’t go well as he wouldn’t sit on it. He has sat on it before but on and straight off and we made a huge fuss but he wouldn’t do it anymore.
Sorry for the long post.

3 Likes

Toliet looks to big he thinks he going to fall in. Mine went thur same thing

1 Like

His muscles are not developed enough. Try getting an OT’s advice for excercises for his abdomen/core.

2 Likes

Maybe have him pee in the regular toilet and put a kid potty behind him? Also the urinals that stick to the wall might make the difference between positions easier

3 Likes

My son had some issues as well. His ot said to try him setting backwards on the toilet. It helps him from falling in and getting scared. You can order a urinal from Amazon that hangs on the wall.

1 Like

No excuses. Get that child trained. 3 is to old. Have your husband take him in towith him. If he doesn’ want to go the right way SPANK HIM so he knows hes doing wrong and you will not put up with his behavior.

7 Likes

Just an idea - maybe get a kids potty and just put it in LR or whatever to start and make it part of a game to sit - like sitting first when someone claps or whatever to get him used to it then move to the BR? Just a thought - maybe silly but LOL

2 Likes

Try the potty u sit on the toliet

1 Like

Some kids feel like their poo is something they made, a piece of them you are going to flush away! Maybe help explain its only the food leftovers his body didn’t need & that it’s not really part of him, just like the food on his plate isn’t a part of his body, or his clothes aren’t a part of his body, but they are useful.

2 Likes

IF autism takes longer. My neighbor’s son is and she was changing him older than yours. She & son learned sign language to communicate. He is older now but she and husband make sure he knows what will happen when doing this or that. They want to take him to Disneyland but are practicing with a small plane just sitting in it then some short flights. He is a teen now. Don’t give up but do have him checked for autism. These kids are smart just can’t always relay to you like other children.

3 Likes