How to potty train a girl?

Mamas please help me with some advice with my almost 3 year old. She has been potty trained since she was 20 months old and was doing really well. We had a few accidents but eventually she got the hang of it and by the time she was 2 she had it down and was going on the potty regularly. Queue my pregnancy. 2 months before giving birth to her little brother she starts peeing all over the house and hasn’t stopped :tired_face: I’m losing the will to live and we have tried everything. Rewards including candy and stickers, praise and positive reinforcement. Nothing seems to be working anymore. I’ll ask of she needs to go potty and she will tell me no. She then proceeds to pee only minutes later wherever she is be it the sofa, her bedroom floor etc. Any advice.

15 Likes

Time out in the corner or on her bed

1 Like

Whooping she wont want one she will wake up and tell u more it work with me baby i didn’t have to whoop her that much cuz the thought itself scared her

6 Likes

Sorry but punishment is absolutely not the answer. Children espically that young will continue to have accidents at times and more so when they under stressful situations like you being pregnant.

8 Likes

My oldest son did that. His reason was for attention and wanting to be the baby instead of his sister. He’s also 3 years older than she is. Once he felt he was getting his own time and not being replaced he went back to being a big boy.

7 Likes

Just put a diaper on her and don’t even mention it…She will very soon see her actions did not work

2 Likes

She is probably feeling like she wont be loved anymore and dont understand what’s going on

3 Likes

When you ask her if she needs to go and she says no ask her to try because it will make you happy then have her sit there until she goes then praise her like crazy

3 Likes

Sounds like regression. She maybe worried about the new baby. She may be worried that you won’t have time for her anymore. I would talk to her about baby and what that means. Make it exciting for her and assure she’ll still be your baby to.

4 Likes

She thinks brother gets to much attention.went thru it with granddaughter shes 3 1/2 and sister is 2. She was happy when she was born there were days she would be horrible mom and dad would go take her somewhere like a park while i watched baby and she would be good for awhile

2 Likes

It happens, she is smart enough to realized the bsby6 gas diapers!! So why don’t ?? It can take somd serious understanding!!

1 Like

Please don’t spank your child over this! This is actually really normal for them to do. I’m in the same situation. I’m almost due and my daughter is starting to act more “babyish”. Just calmly explain to her that she needs to use the big girl potty. We are back on pull-ups and she’s doing better but I still have to explain to her that she’s a big girl and reward her everytime she uses the big girl potty. I also am spending lots of extra time with her and constantly letting her know that no matter what she’s my baby her brothers not taking love from her.

6 Likes

Go back to basics…Instead of just asking, ask and bring her in to use the potty…

1 Like

Sounds like She wants to be baby again. Best thing I say is make her clean it up herself every time she goes on the floor. She’ll get tired real quick of cleaning it up then she’ll go back being a big girl. No treats say they are only big girls get them when use the potty… Etc.

2 Likes

Have you taken her to the DR

She might have a UTI or something. My son did that at 3, turns out he had to get a minor procedure done. Unfortunately, my carpet still stinks but I’m glad we got him seen by the Doc!

2 Likes

It’s very common for kids to do this when a sibling comes along. Going to the bathroom is the only thing kids can truly control.

2 Likes

Don’t ask tell her to go potty or at least try but I would rule out medical causes

1 Like

If you can buy the pull up disposable potty training pants to fit her , buy them for her and use them! I would not stress myself out . Pray and ask God to help her in the name of Jesus . Believe that this problem is temporary and will stop sometime . Do not get angry or stressed out . Consider this part of potty training. Take her to the bathroom every two or three hours during her waking hours . You may have to take her to the bathroom once or twice during her sleeping hours. Be patient and pray for her and yourself too.

4 Likes

A friend of mine said 2 cold showers

3 Likes

Wait till she poops in them and make her wash them herself see how long it takes her to stop.

1 Like

Don’t ask tell. Tell her it’s time to go and make her stop what she is doing to go sit on the potty. Reinforce with a fun song while doing it. It does sound like regression talk to her about how much you love her and proud you are she is such a big girl, a good helper that no one can replace her… Age appropriate of course. Maybe get some training underwear, it will cut down on the mess and she will feel her actions well. It will save you money from reverting back to pull ups or diapers.

1 Like

She knows better and is just doing it for attention. She would be getting a spanking, scrubbing the mess, then sitting her little butt in the corner! If she went the whole day with no accidents she would earn something special. Could be a small prize, could be 30 minutes of cuddle and tv time before bed, could be ice cream or a special treat, etc. It’s not like she can’t control it. She’s doing it on purpose. That’s completely different than having an accident.

3 Likes

It may be for attention, because of the baby. I’m 6 months pregnant and my 2 YO can definitely tell. She’s way more clingy and does things for attention more now. I give her as much attention as I can. I include her in cleaning, getting things ready for baby, and when I get things for her little brother I try to get her something as well.

2 Likes

It’s a regression due to the new baby. Just have patience and keep working with her. My 2nd was born when my first was 20 months old and all her potty training went out the window. She finally got re fully potty trained a few months before age 4.

3 Likes

My child did the same thing she did great for a while then once I gave birth to her baby sister she started going pee everywhere she was doing it for the attention because she was mommies baby girl then a new baby was in the house yes I gave as much time as I could to her and would make special time for just her but she felt like she wasn’t important because mommy had to spend so much time with the new baby but she has gotten better at it yes I would put her in time out if she peed on the floor because she didn’t want to go to the bathroom but she would have to clean up her mess by herself scrub it then she had to stand in the corner but she was rewarded if she went the whole day with out any accidents

1 Like

When you take her to the bathroom every two or three hours , do not demand that she urinate. Be kind and patient always . Consider this part of potty training and do not be upset . See the other note that I wrote.

1 Like

I also don’t think punishing is the answer. This is the only way she knows to get her emotions out, and at home is her safe place. Most babies go through some sort of retaliation when a new sibling comes alone. Imagine if you were spanked or punished everytime you got emotional… yikes.

2 Likes

My 1st two were 18 months apart…my first started wetting her pants…i kept telling her she’s my big girl…I also got her own baby doll and rocker…when I took care of the baby she took care of her baby. It resolved!

1 Like

Sometimes when you bring a new baby home this do happen. It did happen to 1 of my grandkids…After a while with lots of love and helping out with the baby like getting a diaper little things like that…Spanking is never an good thing.A 3 year old never needs a spanking…This has to be the worse I have ever heard…I would hate this lady to be the mother of my grandkids…Hope it gets better for you and it will…

3 Likes

Take her to the bathroom every hr weather she says no or not and make her sit there for 10 minutes

7 Likes

Don’t ask her, tell her. Insist that she sits on the toilet every 30 minutes. Eventually, she will get sick of having to stop what she’s doing that often, and will start to let you know when she has to go. It’s a test mom, make sure she knows you are in charge.

6 Likes

We have the same think happening here. We’ve started setting a 1 hour timer and when her timer goes off, she goes to sit on the potty. Even when she says she doesn’t have to. We try. 99% of the time, when they say they don’t have to, they do. And she goes almost every time. We hardly ever have any accidents anymore with the timer thing.

1 Like

I suggest to offer diaper or have child clean accident up. No spanking, time out after cleaning up accident after first or second accident. Read to child when nursing/feeding baby so child feels included.

3 Likes

She no longer is the baby!! Tell her as a big girl, she can help you change her brother’s diaper, but she can’t be in diapers at the same time. Big sister must be in underwear…:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I swear people just let their kids do anything lol

1 Like

You have to make sure shes encluded to we went through this with my grand daughter it will take some time to get back to normal now just let her help with little things then sneak potting back in plus pick out new underware for her youd be amazed at what it can do to help her let her do it she is growing up little by little

1 Like

Hate to be the one to say it. But this is what happens when you force your kids to do something when they aren’t ready. I don’t care what anyone says. A child will start going when they want to. Not when you want them to. So it’s just back lashing on you. She wants to be the baby again because she didn’t get her full amount of time to be.

3 Likes

My p 3 year old is doing this now too, I just had a new baby. When she does it I talk to her about fr a big girl/vs being a baby. Maybe also include her in cleaning it up so she understands it. Punishment about potty accidents can lead to other issues, so don’t do that, of it does t get better check with the doctor.

1 Like

Am i the only one that kind of still considers her a baby. Shes not even 3. And she was potty trained before she was even 2. Hmm

Start busting that ass till she figures it out… If the simple things dont fix it…then start giving her an ass whoopin

I would ask her why she didnt go on the potty? My 2 year old just had an accident the other day after months of non and she said idk but when i asked if it was because she didnt want to come in from playing, she said yes. I told her that it was only a few min and then she could play again… And she agreed. Try talking to her about what is going on.

1 Like

Big girls need to wear Underwear or they sit in the corner an don’t get to holder their little brother cause she’s not a big girl worked for my cousin an my son

1 Like

I agree about the doll. Make her the big girl again and teach her to want to be that and not little.

1 Like

What would happen if you made her clean up the pee? Usually they don’t like the clean up part. Don’t ask if she has to go, take her in to sit on her potty. Ask her if she wants diapers again like a baby. Ask her to help with the nursery things, let her know you will need her help. Just suggestions.

1 Like

So this morning weve woken up, straight on the potty. I’ve got my timer on for every 15 minutes and shes already sat on the potty twice since. Back to basics we go and hope for the best. Thank you guys for all your help and advice.

And for those who are asking why she was potty trained so early… At 20 months she was ready. She would take off her diaper and cry because it was wet. She was going 2 hours without wetting her diaper. She would sit on the potty and pee and poop without promting and then would cry for underwear. Everytime I’d put a diaper on her it would be off within minutes. What was I supposed to do? Force her to wear something she didnt want to wear anymore? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Okay so I’m just gonna be " that girl" again first off from what I seen she was ready to be potty trained delaying potty training because you want them to babies longer because it just gives them the idea it’s okay to shit and piss themselves went through it with my nephew and niece because there momma’s didn’t wanna potty train them when they was ready/ babieing then 24/7 so i had a almost 4 year old boy shitting his pants because his momma didn’t wanna potty training tell 3.5 years old and the girl she was useing the potty but would still pisses herself because she didn’t wanna stop playing 🤷 but she was just turning 3 and was being babied like she was a year old 🤷 I feel if this child was potty trained before the baby came in the photo she feeling like she gonna be forgotten when the baby comes and she acting out to get attention 🤷 I would seriously ask her why she pissing everywhere make her clean it up and I probably pop her ass being she was trained prior and just decided to piss everywhere again because she knowes better I also make sure she knew just because she has a sibling now she not being replaced or forgotten about 🤷

She’s marking her territory :joy: it’s a regression because of the new baby, she figures she won’t be getting all the attention anymore so she’s figuring out ways to still get attention. Try to plan a special day maybe every week or every other, even if it’s an hour or two. Whatever works best for your schedual, just to give her some one on one time. Talk to her about her new baby brother & how she feels about him. Allow her to be heard. Play a game of her choosing or paint nails together, just something simple. Let her pick.
Hopefully it helps

2 Likes

Sorry but you have to start over, or spank her ass but starting over is better

Take her to the potty don’t ask and keep doing it sounds like she is going backwards for you

1 Like