How to potty train a girl?

Sorry for the long post!

My daughter is 21 months old. She’s been showing signs of being ready for potty training for a couple of months, but I didn’t want to attempt it too early and scare her. For instance she would tell me when she was wet and knew she had peed or pooped. But tonight she kept grabbing her pull up and saying “pee” in an urgent manner. I kept checking her pull up but she wasn’t wet. After a few minutes of her hollering “pee” and grabbing herself, I asked her if she needed to potty. She does have a potty chair and she’s pretty familiar with it and how it works. She said “yea”. So I took her to her little potty and sit her on it. She sat forever jabbering and wouldn’t get off. She never peed but it smelled like she farted. Eventually she got off and let me pull her pants up. Within a few minutes, I noticed that she had a wet pull up. So I think she’s able to recognize when she has to pee now. She was also very upset that she was wet. My question is, do you think this is a sure sign that she is ready to take her potty training on to the full extent?

8 Likes

Start trying :woman_shrugging:t2: they tell you when they’re ready at first it be a lot of sitting and nothing and eventually she will pee and you need to go YAY! and clap your hands and do that every time she will love that :joy:

3 Likes

Make sure you dance and sing and praise when it happens.

1 Like

Yeah sounds like she’s ready to fully start potty training my daughter was fully potty trained by her 2nd birthday

1 Like

I would start putting her on it every half hour-45 minutes and see if she’ll get used to it. Eventually she’ll go on it, whether its purposely or by accident, and when it happens make it a big celebration and give her a freezie or something small as a celebration treat

1 Like

You may want to get a toilet seat that goes on the regular one my daughter would not pee on a training potty

1 Like

You should have sat on the toilet and tried to go at same time that would have given her a clue

1 Like

Absolutely. Get the book Potty Training in Three Days by Brandi Brucks.

1 Like

Absolutely. She’s going to train herself if you don t help her. She is wanting to go, help her out. She couldn’t be more ready!!!

1 Like

She is definitely ready, just put her on her potty frequently and make sure u give a lot of praise and if she like stickers, u can start a potty chart and have her put a sticker on it when she goes.

1 Like

Give it a go. We did it at 22 months and she caught on. It took about two months to become fully (daytime) potty trained so just stick with it. You might even experience a regression or two.

1 Like

Yep potty training my 1½ yr old daughter now and when she potty we sing our song do a dance and she gets a sticker