How to potty train a girl?

My 4, almost five-year-old daughter has stopped using the toilet and won’t tell me or anyone when she needs to do a wee. She used to always tell me when she needed the toilet and was using it fine on her own with accidents every now and then but has recently stopped going altogether and has started to pee her pants every time she needs to go. It happens 3 or 4 times a day, she will be just sitting on the lounge or standing in the kitchen or playing with her toys, and she just wee’s herself. I have told her and explained time and time and time again that you don’t wee in your pants, you wee on the toilet, and to tell me when she needs to go. When I ask her why she isn’t doing wee’s on the toilet anymore, she just looks at me with a confused look on her face as if she doesn’t know what she’s done. This is also happening at school, she is going through 3-4 pairs of pants a day at school, and none of the other kids have this problem. I’m so frustrated and don’t know what to do. I’m at my wits end and am so sick of repeating myself and getting nowhere and it’s really embarrassing.

8 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train a girl? - Mamas Uncut

Make an appt with her physician

Honestly have her checked for bladder issues, or psychological issues- for now put her in pull ups it’ll help ease her embarrassment if she does end up having an accident

1 Like

It’s a physical response, not a psychological one. Mostly biological in nature and treatments could be medication. The muscles to control urination do not respond well enough to prevent urine, or sometimes a hormonal imbalance allows too much urine in the bladder to accumulate, dulling the sensation to urinate. Essentially sensation to urinate is more dull and not strong enough to realize that the bladder is actually very full. This, I learned in my child psychology course in university. Meet with your dr and let them know your concerns and be patient with your little one. Best of luck!

1 Like

I would talk to her doctor. She may have a medical problem

Speaking personally, I’d try and make sure nothing negative surrounding her having to use the potty/ her privates in general has happened causing her to have anxieties. If not that, possibly a medical issue.

1 Like

my grandsonf did that and the doctors said it was due to constipation, I know it wouldn’t seem like that would make them pee their self but once they got his bowels regular he stopped wetting himself.

3 Likes

She might have a uti and not know it, every girl and woman is different, please make an appointment with her Pediatric dr office.

3 Likes

My son just turned 4 and he just started going on the potty not long ago he used to when he was younger but for some reason he went backwards so now he owes on the potty but can’t get him to poop on the potty now that’s my struggle now

An ass whooping may solve it by using mechanical discipline

1 Like

My son would do that if he was doing something he didn’t want to have to stop to go pee, but she could also have an infection or something.

First, take her to the doctor and make sure everything is okay. If the doctor says everything is fine then you should check for any kind of stress or emotional issues going on with her… Kids can regress due to problems at home, school, and whatnot. More often than not issues with the bathroom are emotional. Best of luck to you guys…

10 Likes

This happened to my nephew. He was potty trained and doing fine at home, but he suddenly started peeing himself at school, and even in the car when his dad would pick him up. It turned out to be an anxiety issue- he’d get very nervous letting the teacher know he needed the toilet. Do get her to a doctor to make sure everything’s okay, hopefully it’s nothing serious :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I kind of had this issue when I was a kid. I didn’t feel when I had to go until it was too late. Take her to the doctor to have her kidneys, bladder and her urethra checked would be my suggestion to rule out medical issues.

1 Like

Take her to doctor to get her checked out make sure she doesn’t have a bladder issue

14 Likes

Put jelly beans in a bag in the bathroom in a drawer 1 trying 2 for pee pee 3 for poo poo

1 Like

She could have a UTI. or be going thru a difficult transition with learning or social skills. There are a myriad of reasons. Seek answers and be KIND. This is not about YOU.

2 Likes

There is something wrong she 5 she’s other really lazy or something is going on make her clean up the mess

5 Likes

I would take her to the doctor. A friend of mine use to do this during an absent seizure. She would do it many times a day. She grew out of it and is doing fine now.

Put her back in a diaper!

Alexus Beaman Alexus L Beaman