How to potty train a girl?

I need potty training advice. My daughter turned 3 March 1st and she still goes potty in her pull-up. Every 30-45 min I tell her it’s time to go on the potty, every time she throws herself on the ground and says no. I have to carry her to the bathroom every time. She goes poop just fine on the potty and doesn’t go in her pull-up, but pee is another story. She will go pee in her pull-up and still sit in the potty afterwards and pee again. I know she can hold it because when we are out and about (park, grocery store etc.) she’s dry the whole time and goes straight on the potty. Any advice would be much appreciated.

34 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train a girl? - Mamas Uncut

Try going without diapers. Let her be naked!!! Obviously be ready for accidents but don’t scold her. Good luck

3 Likes

I pulled mine out of pull-ups. My friend bought her Disney Panties (she was obsessed with the Princesses) and we told her she has to go in the potty like a big girl or she would pee on the princesses. It worked!!!

7 Likes

I would get her checked by her pediatrician or urologist, she may be holding it for periods of time and may be causing UTIs, my little sister went through that around the same age and it can deter them from wanting to sit to pee possibly due to pain.

1 Like

I made a potty chart with star stickers,that worked for us really well

Try the Potty watch (on Amazon) & let her pick out panties-good luck :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

A lot of people are going to tell you to not use pull ups, but they worked for us. I mainly had my daughter wear panties around the house during the day and a pull up for bed or if we were going somewhere in the car (not for short distance trips). I had her go like every 20 minutes or so on the potty. Also I put her little potty chair in front of the tv in the living room. That helped. she eventually started just going and sitting on the potty by herself and eliminated the potty chair on her own. Also when we arrived anywhere I had her go to the potty straight away. Like if we went to Walmart, we went straight for the bathroom.

2 Likes

Panties only. No more pull-ups

3 Likes

stop ENABLING her with the PULL UP. Let her have some accidents and learn that way… she just doesn’t wanna get up and go while at home because she can just go and keep playing vs being out and about she’s not playing and entertained

2 Likes

Potty chart, and have HER pick out her undies. Make it fun.

Maybe she’s just not ready :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I put regular underwear - cotton on my girls when they were two they didn’t like them wet . Plus I trained in warmer weather so they could wear underwear only , much easier to pull up and down . I took them to potty every hour and stood in their with them for about 5 minutes.

1 Like

let her pick out the undies but when sitting on the potty make up a song for her my make up song goes like this “It’s time to go it’s time to go it’s potty time so let’s go sit down and go with the flow it’s potty time hey let it go… your all finished hey that’s just great but here is some things you need to know wash your come on you can do it it’s potty time you can do it” afterwards say Yea you did it or it’s okay we try it again

I follow the wait until they show sings of readiness but if you can’t just stay consistent and positive! My mother in law told me to now show any anger or frustration and make it all a positive, exciting time and I’m glad I did. It takes time and structure! We had better luck with undies, using the actual toilet! My son was 3.5 when he started potty training and was trained in about 2 weeks! Good luck :blush:

Now weather is getting warmer put her in panties with no pull up. Yes she’s gonna pee a couple times don’t clean her up immediately. She won’t want that wetness on her. Now don’t leave her wet for hours just long enough to clean up. Also u could try maybe some jelly beans or her favorite snack when she goes potty she gets one.

2 Likes

put her on every 2 hours and a couple times at night and read her a book while she is in sesstion or play a little game with her after maybe 2 days she will start going just fine . this is how i done my kids at 1 year old and with in 2 or 3 days they started going on there selfs and when they went i always praised them for it even after you see the doing it still try put on every 2 hours for a few more days they will start going good for you. it worked on all my kids

No pull ups, that’s the mistake I made with my 3 nearly 4 year old, taken away the pull ups took about two weeks but now he’s 3 weeks accident free x

1 Like

Try a reward system give her a treat when she goes as a reward. My cousins mom did that with the grandkids

We didn’t have pull-ups when my kids were young. My kids went straight from diapers to underwear. Try putting underwear on her and letting her have accidents. She may not like the feeling.

2 Likes

I went to the Dollar tree and I filled up a little box full of toys and I put them on the back of the toilet and I called them potty prizes. I bought panties instead of pull-ups. Every 45 minutes is a little excessive she probably feels like you’re taking her away from things she’s doing quite often. I would try and set the time for about every two hours. After either one of my twins use the bathroom they got to pick a potty prize of course this only needs to be temporary. But I found that a little entertainment or a little reward along with a lot of praise and encouragement changed the tune for my twins and made it a fun experience instead of one that they dreaded to do. Good luck!!

I had a situation with my toddler, to the point she didn’t go to the restroom all day, not even in diapers :sweat:, took her to the doctor till she finally did pee in the toilet, but she’s 4 and still doesn’t want to poop, I have to put a diaper cause if not she’ll hold it in and get constipated so I just give in and keep buying :sob::sob::sob::sob:.
If someone has a method please share :heart:

Take her when you go. When she finally pees in the toilet, loose your mind with joy and give her her favorite everything that day.

1 Like

my child turned 3 in early march as well, he can pee in the potty just fine but we still have an issue with him pooping in the potty ): he likes to go to our hallway and says “i poop in the tunnel” :joy:

i first started putting him on his little kid potty, and sitting with him while encouraging him. he eventually peed a tiny bit and my excitement got him excited, so he kept doing it. then we moved to the big potty, so we got him a little step stool & potty seat in one. now he tells us when he needs to pee. we only put a diaper on throughout the night so he doesn’t pee the bed, and when he has to poop (since as i’ve said, he’s not comfy doing that in the big potty yet). i will also say we try to do the reward thing, giving him snacks if he does poop in the potty and such, but he’s too smart and knows what we’re doing :joy:

She needs to feel wetness. She will never train in a pullup.

2 Likes

Put her in regular underwear. Of course she’s going to keep peeing in her pull up cause it’s basically a diaper honestly.

2 Likes

My daughter was having this issue with my granddaughter when she was 3. I told her to just take the pull up off of her and don’t put them back on and she started going to the potty with no mistakes at all.

Go naked and catch her in the act basically like you would a puppy. Just don’t rub her nose in it. LoL If you keep using pull ups, she’ll never have a consequence for her mistake.

2 Likes

My daughter was 18 months when she was potty trained, her and a sibling potty trained together. It’s easier when they have someone for example. But we went shopping for little toys like little dolls, dollar store things, c, etc. We had a potato hart they got a sticker for every time they went after 5 stickers got to pick treat from the box. I never used pull-ups they can’t tell their wet. It worked… the other sibling was 3.

1 Like

When my daughter was a baby, I never allowed her to be wet for any length of time. It was expensive to change with every single pee but it was worth it. She never grew accustomed to the feeling of being wet or dirty. She hated being wet and practically potty trained herself at a little over a year old.

2 Likes

Ditch the pull ups because it absorbs she can pee and not feel it unlike with :poop: get her into knickers and I bet she’ll soon learn it really doesn’t feel great

4 Likes

Just put her in undies

1 Like

We used candy for my 2yr old girl worked like a charm if she #1 she get 1 candy and #2 she got 2 candies I watched a few YouTube videos on advice … I put a pamper on my girl before we go out shopping just in case and no accidents she tells me when she need to go

Go nowhere fun until she learns. Tell her you cannot wear diapers on playgrounds and such. Cotton training pants so she feels wet and uncomfortable.

4 Likes

I see who the boss is just put her on the potty and stay with her until she uses it

My little girl didn’t potty train until a little after 3. She really liked red jelly beans so I put 5 in a jar and put her potty chair in the livingroom. She didn’t wear any diapers or underwear in the house. When she went pee in her toilet, she got to help herself to 1 jellybean. It took about two weeks of consistency and she was potty trained. She still wears “nighttime underwear” (we don’t call them diapers anymore). She will get there, just find what motivates her.

Two things that worked for me… I got her a bunch of panties with her most favorite disney character and told if she went pee in them we’d have to throw them away (no pull ups except at night), she loved the panties so much so then she did NOT want to pee in them… and then I also rewarded her with treats every time she peed in the potty and praised her for doing such a good job every time!

5 Likes

I feel like 3 is still young and you should wait until she is ready. Start with taking her to the potty with you everytime you go and showing her what the deal is. Then go from there. I wouldn’t force it though.

Go pee when she goes on her potty chair. Also, at the age of 2 and 3 toddlers are in the terrible 2s. The only things toddlers can control are eating, sleeping and going to the bathroom. She may be using it as a form of control, ( defiance aka terrible 2). I think the best thing to do is let her start to make other decisions like picking between 2 pairs of socks, shirt, etc to wear that day. That way she has more control in other areas. Then that may help with the potty training.

My little one was stubborn so we did a potty app set for ever 15 to 20 mintues to start. She learned quickly potty breaks happen during play, during meals any time. She got so use to being dry she would only have “light” accidents when she would get to the potty just a late. It happened extremely quick that would jist go to the potty at the first sensation.

1 Like

I stopped pushing my son. I tried and tried and tried, he’s 4 and a half and is just now potty trained. Still sleeping in pull ups but other than that he’s in his undies. I bought stickers and he got one sheet for pee and 2 for poop. He has a step stool and small seat, and a urinal. I felt bad for a long time that he wasn’t potty trained but he really just needed me to follow his lead.

Get rid of the pull ups. They are no different than diapers other than being able to pull up and down. I never used them (except at night) with my 3 kids (boy, 2 girls). They potty trained rather quickly due to fact they didn’t like being messy or wet. And definitely didn’t like the time away from playing to clean them up. They figured out pretty quick that the using the potty was much quicker. And they always loved to pick out their which cute character undies they’d get to wear that day.

4 Likes

Take her shopping to pick out her big girl panties and do away with putting her in pull ups through the day. Rewards for going potty and keeping her big girl panties dry. Moving her potty closer to where she is playing so she doesn’t feel isolated and cut off and is a more convenient reminder

4 Likes

I always put a dress on the girls and a long t-shirt on boys. They need to become aware of what is happening. I explain that is their bottom. I let them have a dribble or a drop. They need to see and feel that. They can help Clean up the mess. I hold their hands and show them how. And calmly explain as we go. I usually have them trained by 2 years.

Make it fun and introduce an award system with stickers or a sweet.

Don’t put it on her around house …. Put underwear on …. She’ll start going ….cos her underwear will be wet …. I was lucky it was the summer for me so I just put her out in garden. :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Let her go the bathroom with you every time you pee. Tell her you’re listening to your body. Let her see it’s no big deal. Kids love to copy and do things together. Buy her really cute underwear, but not expensive or too special so she doesn’t feel too much pressure or shame and embarrassment if she has an accident.

3 Likes

Patients and consistency. My 9yo was potty trained by 1 1/2 my 6yo potty trained herself at 3. Wore panties in the house, we still had accidents but after about a week she didn’t pee at all in her panties. Still needed a pull up for bed and naps. Each kid is different. Good luck!

I put my daughter and granddaughter in regular underwear with those plastic panties overtop. They didn’t like the feeling of the wet underwear on their skin. The diapers and pull-ups absorb. Be prepared for a lot of laundry and change often so no rash. But it made them want to use the potty. Still used pull ups at night though.

Gerber Plastic Pants 4 Pairs, White, 2T-3T https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0145JWCBQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7SA6WYBNNGW9HQFM4182

3 Likes

Take away the pull ups, put her in real underwear

4 Likes

Take off the pull up and put her in panties. If she’s ready to potty train you’ll know In a couple of days.

Pull ups are the worse thing for potty training. They never feel wet so they don’t care

1 Like

I put regular panties on them. Ans explained to them, that if they peed…it would run down their legs. And make a big old mess. And you just know she a big girl. And will do her best to not lrt it happen. Still works to this day. Try it! Itworks!

1 Like

Treats work for my Intellectually disabled son also, a reward and lots of praise, I tell him to pat himself on the back, he loves it. He loves to be proud of himself :grin::+1::white_check_mark:

the same as you potty train a boy. get rid of pull ups, use underwear. set an alarm on your phone for when you want to take her to the toilet.

Wait until she is ready.

She will get tired of it put regular panties on her

Take the pull ups away and put her on potty every 30 min for at lest 10 min and give her plenty of water, then when she goes make a big deal do a Dance make her exited about it, try not to get aggravated she will pick up on that. Just trust the posses she will get it.

Put panties on her
They don’t like wet panties
Take the pull ups away

1 Like

I have three kids and it worked with all of them. Just no every kid is different it will take time it took me about a 6 week to get my Twins to poop in the potty lol.

Remove the diaper take her if she goes that often to sit on the potty for a few minutes reward her after going my 1st born was my toughest my youngest potty trained herself at around or a little before 2 yrs old get one of the realistic looking potty seats they have it

I’d take her to buy some big girl knickers of her choice and remove pull ups

1 Like

Started by daughter at 2.5. Underwear only because a pull up is just like a diaper. She does well only had a couple accidents a day some times 1 accident but goes to the bathroom on her own sometimes I do ask her. It’s been less than a week.

2 Likes

I threw mines pull ups away. They don’t like wearing wet clothes. It’s aggravating washing clothes, but its the only way I could break both of my kids. I had them both potty trained by 2.

2 Likes

Get rid of the pull ups and put underwear on her . A few accidents in them she won’t like the feel. Just set a week side and stay close to home .

2 Likes

Take away the pull ups and put on panties. 2 of my girls were 2 years old and 1 was 3(her grandmother kept taking the panties off and putting a diaper or pull up on), my son was 3 1/2- he was a stubborn mule. If she poops in the potty, she can pee on the potty. She can’t feel the pee because pull up pull up away.

2 Likes

Get rid of the pull up. Set a timer for every 30 mins to remind her to try.

2 Likes

l get paid over $ 140 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes $ 15684 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Info Here >>> https://dailyjobs108.wixsite.com/my-site

Take her out of pull ups and let her pick out her panties if she poops in them make her say bye to them and throw them away

Sit her backwards on the toilet and let her draw on the lid with a whiteboard marker. Takes her mind off what’s she’s doing

1 Like

Just put undies on her and she won’t rely on the pull ups, it may take a couple of tries and she might not like the feeling of wetting herself but she will realise that there are no more pull ups and she needs to go to the potty instead.

Stop using pull ups, they are too similar to a diaper. Put panties on her, take her to bathroom often. If she wets them change her and start again. Only use pull ups for overnights, thus worked for my kids.

Agree with the other ladies here. I also asked a similar question here when my daughter was roughly the same age. Stop the pull ups :heart:

Maybe get her a doll that wets itself and a dolls potty and let her train the doll to go on the potty by showing it herself or get a chids seat for the loo and a step to see if she will use the loo or take her with you and let her choose some pretty knickers that she wont want to spoil do you praise her enough when she gets it right is she a only child each child is diffrent and learn things at their own pace

I hear putting panties on her helps the pull up encourages her to continue to pee in it.

Get rid of the pull ups

I put my daughter in panties all day and only bedtime/in thr car did she have a pull up. It took a few days of peeing her panties and being wet to get the hang of it. She was 2 and a half shes now 3 and a half and gors potty day in day out, still sleeps with a pull up but wakes up dry most mornings and even sometimes during the night will walk to go potty and back to bed

Pull all the pull ups except one. Have her go get the last one and let her know there aren’t any more. She may have an accident. But it’s not comfortable for her. She will choose to do as needed. She is old enough.

Sounds like she might just need to be put in underwear. My oldest boy would pee in a pull up if he had it on. It was just him being lazy.

It’s a came I’ve potty trains 3 girls and to boys. That’s the ones I just done more myself. Get rid of pull ups to be honest it gives them a sign of security and they just pee so they don’t stop playing.

You’re making her go far too often if she’s dry when you’re out. Maybe talk about buying nice knickers and letting her decide when to go but suggest it every couple of hours. Also try potty training knickers which worked a dream for me. They are towelling with a plastic lining. If they get wet your kid feels wet but they prevent it going on the floor (like traditional diapers/nappies). Mine hated feeling wet.

l get paid over $ 140 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes $ 15471 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Info Here >>> https://goldenjob43.wixsite.com/my-site

Pull-ups are confusing to some kids I’d stop them make it fun dry eraser markers turn her around and let her draw on the potty lid snack packs

If you have a little spending money- I stocked up on potty prizes. Start with a big prize and show her ahead of time so she knows what’s on the line. then kinda trickle down to cheap little prizes. Get another big prize for the day she uses the potty every time all day. Then brace yourself because you’ll eventually have to stop giving her prizes and break her of that habit but it was worth it to me.

2 Likes

Give her a m&m or life saver gummies or something small and yummy. At first you can give it to before but if she agrees to sit. Then she’ll get used to that, then you make her sit first and after she sits give her the treat. Then after awhile she will start peeing by sitting routinely. Then after she gets better at peeing then only give her a treat when she does pee or poop. Then just stop the treats when she is a pro. I worked in a preschool. It how we trained all the kids plus my son at home.

My daughter is 2 1/2 and we started a potty chart for her. She gets small prizes for filling it out at the end of the week and she loves it! One is a chart you fill out all week, and ones a game where she gets stickers every time she uses the potty, and if she fills out the whole chart she gets a big prize. We got the charts on Etsy I think, or you can make your own.

Also underwear, underwear, underwear! She HATES the feeling of accidents in her underwear so when she’s in her underwear she goes to the bathroom more often than when she’s in a pull-up. The pull-up just encourages her to not use the potty. The more your baby’s in underwear the more they’ll want to use the potty! Accidents will still happen so don’t get discouraged. Make it a positive, fun experience. The more your force her to go, the more she’s not going to want to.

1 Like

It’s a muscle thing. She has to learn the muscle. Pull ups prolong the process. Put her in cute panties and when she pees down her leg a couple times she’ll get it.

2 Likes

Put her in panties my oldest did the same thing! A pull up is a dipper to her

Don’t use pull ups while at home, just panties. It took one time of my daughter peeing in her panties for her not to like that feeling. After that she would run to the potty everytime.

Wow, yeah I’m fixing to start potty training my girl, she’s almost 2, but we have potty trained 2 boys already, both were difficult, but my second son behaved pretty much the way you described, but backwards, my sin would pee in the potty but would throw a wall eyed fit when we made him sit down to poo, and would only poo in his pull up, we eventually had to resort to bribery, we had to offer him rewards for pooing in the potty, now it doesn’t work with all kids, cause my first son didn’t respond to bribery, but we would set milestones for him to reach first it was poop in the potty, then s reward, then it was don’t poop in your pullup for X amount of days, we would extend the days as he stayed clean longer and longer, his final milestone was staying dry at night for so many nights, and then he graduated to big boy underwear, but honestly he was so hard I wasn’t sure he’d do it, cause he is defiant and hard headed, smart, but stubborn.

Sounds like she busy having fun at home and just doesn’t want to go.

put her in underpants. every time she pees her feet get wet. She will have to stop and change herself.

No ,pull-ups they think of them as diapers , take her shopping and let her pick out the underwear she likes ,remind her often to go potty.

The more you make it a forced and fight filled event, the more she will resist. Stop fighting her, she will stop when you praise her for being a “big girl” and telling you that she needs to go. Drama and punishment are not good training tools.

3 Likes

Yes like most of the comments say when at home put her in undies. She won’t like the feeling of being wet if she pees in them. Worked on my daughter as well

At home l went no bottoms for a week and put the potty in the living you and when we went out underpants went on and at night we had pull ups good luck momma

My son didn’t like sitting on potty I give marshmallows for sitting on potty once he was ok with sitting on potty I stated read a book about potty in the potty we about going to potty every thing was a bout the potty and take to bath more often and have a dance party then she does potty stickers some candy talk about all the time it she it always in her mind

Naked potty training. Pull up style diapers, she peed. Underwear she did okay until she got tired and she’d forget. She woke up dry every morning for a week, so she was definitely ready. So she was naked or in a dress or long t- shirt with nothing underneath. Peed in the potty every time. And then we did dresses with underwear for at least a week. And then pants with elastic waists that were easy to pull down.

throw the pull-ups and put her in panties. When she is wet and uncomfortable, she will have a reason to use the potty. Pull-ups are made to be absorbent and feel dry to touch.

4 Likes

I used to bring my daughter in the bathroom with me everytime I went, I would have her sit in her potty chair and have a celebration when we went to the bathroom

This is the only thing kids have control of in their tiny lives…pull ups will keep her kind of dry so she doesn’t mind it… when at home… use regular underwear. If she still doesn’t mind… then sorry mom your just going to have to wait a little longer… side note. My daughter wouldn’t use the potty until she started preschool and when she realized other kids were using the potty, it was like flipping a switch and suddenly she was potty trained.