How to potty train boys?

They also make kid potty training urinals

Sing crazy songs and do crazy dances. Read books. Make it fun…start out with them sitting down once they master that then he will learn to stand up and pee…let him watch a video. Take him to store and let him pick out his own under wear and even if he souls them keep putting clean ones back on…be consistent…put a potty in the living room even if ya have to…and use pull ups at night. But tell him we don’t have diapers no more your a big boy…so we have to work together…sing crazy madebup song like go pee pee in the potty. Then ya get to flush it down down down…and you get to watch the water go round round round. Always show him the the pee pee …poo poo dance …again make up something crazy and fun…and keep at it…you might also talk with his doctor…is there a reason why he is terrified of going???

1 Like

I know this sounds weird, but have you tried having him face backwards? Like sit on the toilet backwards. That’s how my son would go until he could reach. He started that on his own, but it seemed like he felt more secure.

2 Likes

Yep, been through it. Honestly I learned not to push them, it made it worse. My 4 year old JUST became fully potty trained. Around new years we were talking about resolutions and I said to him “maybe yours could be to use the big boy potty!” Then he just started going. I had tried before and he was not having it. My 6 year old was also 4 when he was potty trained and it took his big brother giving him a tablet and saying “if you go potty in your pants you can’t have it anymore”. All kids are different. My advice is to keep encouraging, but don’t push. Take him in the bathroom with you to show him there’s nothing to be scared of. Don’t be upset when he doesn’t go or has an accident. I would just say something like “oops! I guess mommy should have asked if you needed to go potty!” You will get through this, I promise. It’s frustrating now but when the day comes you will be so happy! Sending you positive vibes and hugs

He is a boy let him go pee in the yard or on a tree or tire or something. Buy a potty that looks like a real potty and let him use that also. He will build the courage and eventually start using the big boy regular potty.

2 Likes

l g­e­t p­a­ld o­v­e­r $ 13­0 per hour w0r­king f­rom h­0me. l­ never ­tho­u­ght I’d be ­a­­­­ble to do it but my buddy makes over $ 15512 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://upgradejobz10.netlify.app/

Here’s what I did with all four of my boys. When I knew they were old enough and ready. I made sure that they only had four or five pull-ups left. And that I was excited for them to be fully potty trained when we are finally out of pull-ups. And when the pull-ups were gone. That was it. Now to cover the fear. Put toilet paper in the toilet. I had one that was afraid of the splash. I had one that had to have a potty chair. Find what works for him. Sometimes kiddos like to straddle the seat backwards. Having the tank to hold onto helps them feel like they won’t fall off. They make little man urinals that hook up to your toilet. Country living at its best, I was able to have the guys go outside with them to pee off the deck. It was a right of passage for the kiddos. And they learned how to hold it, while putting shoes on. They felt grown up going outside with the big boys. Except I then had to be sure to enforce that this is an at home only thing. Buy a cheap cereal to toss in the bowl And make a game out of Being able to aim right. Good luck.

1 Like

Get an old fashion pooh chair. I used and trained all 3 of mine with no trouble.

l g­e­t p­a­ld o­v­e­r $ 13­0 per hour w0r­king f­rom h­0me. l­ never ­tho­u­ght I’d be ­a­­ble to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18014 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://upgradejobz17.netlify.app/

sit with him and just talk or sing to him just stay close or hold him under his thighs above the pot when he does one cheer/ say well done or something like that mine were younger It worked for me self taught Mother of three boys worth a a try Hope this helps

My son acts absolutely terrified to sit on his toilet and the big toilet he’s 18 months and hates his diaper and hates diaper changes but also hates using the toilet :weary: any ideas? He doesn’t talk much and the Cheerios thing wouldn’t work. I let him flush my toilet after I get done and he loves it and will sit on his for ab a second and then it’s right back up HELP​:rofl:

With my son the only thing that worked was a coffee can. He’d pee in it and dump it in the toilet. #2 took awhile.

1 Like

Sometimes you really just have to sit them there and stay with them til they go and be consistent. Give them a book or distraction can sometimes help (best not to use a food or candy as reward though)

1 Like

I threw cereal in the toilet, sparkles, squares of toilet paper and told him to aim. I pulled over everyone he had to pee and had him Pee on either my tire or in a bush. It’s fun for them if you make it a game. Once he realizes it’s fun he’ll do it on his own.

3 Likes

Am guessing you started training him after the age of 3?

The boys were my husbands responsibility, but it sounds like she trying to train him like a girl. He needs to stand like the big boys. Put pieces of toilet paper for him to aim at.

My son did this. I found that a potty seat with a step helps but also you have to kind of force it on them. You deal with accidents but they do eventually learn they don’t like being messy. My son didn’t take to it until this year and he’s 5.

Tell him he’s a big boy now and needs to follow his daddy when going potty!

Character underwear, unless he has a disability of some kind he def should be potty trained, ask him every 15 to 20 minutes if he has to go potty, tell him big boys do not pee or poop in their pants, no matter how much he fusses, no diaper, he’s not a baby, does he tell you when he’s wet, if daddy is around maybe he can go in bathroom with him, good luck

My son learned going to the bathroom with Dad, make it a game and put Cheerios in the toilet to see who can make it in the most holes😆

Did you say 4 yrs? Thought that is school going age.

We got a urinal!! It’s a frog with a removable piece to dump out and wash. Super cute even has a little wheel for them to aim at that spins.
Made a huge difference. We didn’t potty train until 3 because my son had a speech delay and I felt he needed to be able to fully convey that he needed to go before we started.
Have em pee out the door, on trees, tires whatever!
Praise for attempts and like in horseshoes and hand grenades, close counts give em all the praise!!

my great grandson is two and a half and he pees in the shower, he gets to stand uo and never misses, he will poop in his potty, good luck

Have a listen to this podcast for plenty of ideas!

With our 2 youngest boys we started out in summer by letting them go outside to pee on a bug. ( we live out in the country in the middle of nowhere) Sounds silly but it worked. After they got that figured out using the potty was fairly easy. My oldest son was a nightmare. He would sit on his potty but then go on the floor beside it. After months of that I gave up and he just started getting on the big toilet on his on. Don’t stress too much, it will happen when he’s ready. Good luck!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train boys? - Mamas Uncut

Pop a ping pong ball in the loo and make it a game to hit it.

1 Like

I used Cheerios have them try to hit it.

2 Likes

My boy was 3 he might not be ready…

3 Likes

Put a step Infront of toilet and take turns when you go

1 Like

Mine wasn’t ready until 3. He also learned sitting because we had a high toilet

3 Likes

The weekend method works miracles

1 Like

Make it a game!! Aim for fruit loops!! Their favorite colors make them try for those most of all.

Motivate him with cool underwear. Everytime you take off a diaper let him sit on the potty. Teach him to pee outside standing up like men often do,this was the most liked thing that he could learn because he kept doing this. If you stay on top of being consistent, he will grasp the concept soon. Most boys are completely potty trained by 2 and a half years old so you have several months to help him master it. Good Luck!

2 Likes

Uh… clearly he isn’t ready…

3 Likes

Pick a plant to wee on in the garden 🪴 or a ping pong ball in the toilet to pee on.

Umm, wait until HE’S ready. :thinking:

7 Likes

My first son wasn’t fully potty trained until he was 4. He hated it. He’ll get there when he’s ready. Use positive encouragement and show him some potty videos with songs and stuff to get him more excited about it.

6 Likes

Wait til he’s ready. I pushed it with my son and pulled my hair out for SIX months. Accidents. Tantrums. Nightmare. We stopped for three months and then tried again
He was ready. It took a weekend and he’s good to go.

2 Likes

Leave him till he is ready

Don’t worry. He might not be ready. Boys take longer than girls. When he is ready teach first to sit down. Standing up just creates MESS :joy:

5 Likes

My son was potty trained until 3 1/2 and he would still have some accidents up until 4. Every kid is different. My son have literally 0 shits about going on the potty.

I used to put my son on the toilet backwards. It worked. He didn’t feel like he was going to fall in. Some say put cheerios in the water haha. If he’s 2, he may not be quite ready. My son was 3 when he was ready. I wouldn’t force him. Good luck.

3 Likes

First take him out to the shops and let him buy some stickers to decorate his potty chair with … while he is decorating talk about how “big people” dont wear diapers but use the toilet … then, Let him go “commando” (wear nothing from his waist down) and make it his responsibility to get to the potty by himself … tell him … I know you’re such a big-boy now and you don’t like Mommy helping you so let’s take off your pants and shoes and socks so when you feel like you are going to wee-wee you can go by yourself and wont have to worry about getting your pants down quickly … Of course he will wee-wee a few times away from his potty chair and it will make a mess and run down his legs but if you also make him responsible for cleaning up the floor (as much as he’s able to at 2yrs old) and wiping down his own legs he will gradually understand the pre-wee feeling his body makes and within a few days the penny will drop and he will be well on his way … Most little boys crave independence … so, if you can stand all the possible messes and dealing with the cleanups you will have to do once he’s cleaned or tried to clean first this method does work … good luck!

1 Like

My boys didn’t start learning til they were 3, their dad would take them with him when he used the toilet or I would take them every couple hours

2 Likes

Buy a seat that goes on normal toilet that way he is using it like daddy or mummy.

3 Likes

Have him pee/aim at the car tire.

My oldest son was potty trained by 2 1/2. My youngest was 1 week before 4. I could’ve pulled my hair out with him. Everyone said he wasn’t ready and to wait until he shows intrest. This advice saved my sanity. 1 week before his birthday we took a family vacation. He told me he didn’t want to have a diaper bag on the trip. I said then you have to use the potty. He said ok. We then went on our 13 hour road trip. We had to stop alot due to potty and both of my boys get car sick easily. No accidents and no puking! That was it!

2 Likes

Wait til summer and let him run around in the garden with jocks so it’s easy to get to the loo quicker and easier if there’s accidents. He’ll do it when he is ready.

I tried when my son was 2 and he was just not getting it I waited till he was 3 and tried again and he did fine then, maybe he just is still to young

5 Likes

If he isn’t showing signs he is ready, I wouldn’t push it and make him do it

5 Likes

He’s likely too young. You can continue to battle it now and it will be long and stressful or wait and try again in 6 months and it will likely be a breeze. I have four children, my boys were all ready a little later than my daughter and were close to three. They simply stopped wearing pull ups though and were very easy to toilet train. Literally a couple of days, as they were ready. X

2 Likes

He not ready…
He will let U know when his ready.

4 Likes

He’s most likely not ready yet but A sticker chart with rewards, lots of encouragement, a potty watch ( little watch that beeps every 30,60 or 90 minutes to remind them to use the bathroom) and letting them pick their own big boy undies did wonders for my boys

2 Likes

Pick out a potty , underwear with his favorite character. Get some books about potty training and read them with him. Put him in his training underwear and have him try a couple times sitting down. Either watching something he likes or with a book. After he starts going a couple times it is easy. And give him a little reward like stickers. Or even sitting on the adult potty backwards.

1 Like

You wait till he’s ready

1 Like

For weeing, Put ping balls in the loo and get a male/His dad to show him how much fun it is.
Has to have a stool to stand on though to aim into the bowl

My son wasn’t ready at 2. He was closer to 3 when I decided to put my foot down. At 3 he was too big for diapers. They didn’t stay on well and he peed too heavily for them. Anyway, my mother-in-law was a great help. My son hated the potty and his potty chair. At the time, we had a fenced back yard with a privacy fence, so she would take him out the kitchen door and stand on the back step with him and tell him to see how far he could pee out in the yard. Each time we would take him, we’d tell him to see if he could pee further out in the yard than he did the last time. Pretty soon he was telling us when he had to go. And we kept on with the game. He still pooped in his pants, but at least we had made some progress. Well, summer ended and it started getting cold. My son was now peeing outside by himself. I looked out the window and saw him shiver. I finally said “Son, it’s getting cold out. You can come in and use the potty. If you don’t your pee will freeze and stick you to the ground!” And we both started laughing at the mental picture that brought up. So he came inside. Once he started to pee inside, it was no time at all before I told him that since he was peeing in the potty, he might as well poop there too. And he did.

Maybe he is too little, but you can keep trying.
Buy him a mini toilet ( let him pick it himself) if his father is around ask him to take him to the bathroom with him when he has to pee ( so your kid can imitate him) try to see if you tube has any videos with his favorite cartoon character showing how to do it .
And you can always gives him little prices to encourage him.

PS : my nephew was close to 3 when my sister potty trained, he pee in his pull-up and underwear, my sister decided to keep him bottom naked ( not pull up or underwear) and he started using his little toilet because he didn’t like peeing on himself

He’s not ready then. If he’s not indicating to go, he won’t. Leave it out where he plays and tell him if he wants to try, it’s there for him. He will do it when he’s hormonally ready to do it. You can’t force it

Encourage him and let him know it’s safe and that he won’t fall in
Get some fruit loops or cheerios and put them in the toilet and get him to wee on them like a game

My mother had a terrible time with my little brother. Told him to pee outside on a tree just to get him started. Made it fun. Then she brought him back inside to do it. It worked!

Not many ten years old are still popping in their nappy…relax … he’ll sort it out.

1 Like

Didn’t matter what I did with my middle child he wasn’t fully potty trained till recently and he’s about to turn 4

potty’s are extremely uncomfortable. try buying a toilet seat that’s soft and cusiongy to go on the toilet instead. my son won’t touch the potty but he goes on the toilet just fine. and if he’s not ready then stop, adding the pressure to it will only make it a horrible experience for both of you.

I don’t think he’s too young, I know every kid is different, but my son has been learning to use the potty, and he’s 2. So I don’t think he’s to young, maybe just not ready yet. Also, my son never wanted to go in big toilets, so we started him on a little potty, had him sit on it with his pull up on so he could get used to it, then transitioned to undoing the sides of the pull up and holding it underneath him while he went. Once he was comfortable with that we took the pull up away completely and let him go in the little potty. We made the biggest deal out of it. Always “yay you went potty” clapped, either gave him a sticker, sucker, or little dollar toys we bought and let him pick one. He’ll be 3 in June and now goes in the big toilet. There are some accidents but he’s getting alot better with having minimal.

you take him in the bathroom every 30-45 mins & make him sit for at least 10-15 mins. you also take him when you go. they’re going to fight it but it needs to be done.

you cannot wait for them to be “ready.” they will never be if you do that and everybody knows boys are more work.

ETA: the comments about he’s “too young,” :rofl::rofl::skull::skull:. not at all. not at all… all my kids were potty trained by 18 months… the only one i had a little trouble with is my autistic son & even then he was just turning 2 when he got it down… there’s no excuse for it tbh.

2 Likes

He’ll use the toilet when he’s ready! My oldest was a little over 3 when he was completely potty trained and my youngest was 23 months old when he trained his self because he saw his brother using the toilet. That’s one of the only thing he has control over so don’t rush him. If by by the time he’s 4 and not potty trained then I’d be worried. But I doubt that would ever happen.

1 Like

Let your garden become his best friend, then gradually start taking him, take the potty outside aswell if possible

I had 2 boys. The first one was completely potty trained at 2 1/2 and the younger still had pull ups on at 4! Absolutely refusing the potty if we weren’t at home!
He began to start talking about wanting to go to school a lot. I told him his teacher wouldn’t change a diaper, and he needed to be able to use the potty all the time if he wanted to go to school. That seemed to give him the push he needed.
But also, ignoring the comments of others who say your boy is slow, “should be using the potty by now” etc etc will help you a lot.
Remember that children are all different and that he WILL get there

3 Likes

My daughter jus turned 4… but she’s very scared of the toilet idk why?.. I even got her a couple potties to try in… everyone tells me she’ll go when she wants too… w my first I didn’t have a problem w him… he was fully potty trained at 3…
she’s in baby school now tho so hopefully she’ll use it soon… jus don’t rush him he’ll get there eventually

My grandma told me to get coffee can,Good aim,sounds &you don’t have to train sitting down &than standing uo.My son potty trained in a wk

My son is almost 4 and isn’t potty trained, they need time.

Try taking him outside to “water the grass”. That worked like a charm for my son.

Also DO NOT put a pull up or diaper on him except when he is going to bed or taking a nap.

1 Like

My son just turned 4 yesterday and he just started going potty about a month ago. He didn’t show any Interest in it what so ever and its Like someone flipped a switch and he started going and hasn’t looked back. All kids are different and he will get there when he is ready. Just don’t force him to go because that will turn him away from going all together

My daughter didn’t potty train till 3. Even at that point we had to do a weekend of no diapers or pull-ups. Two years old is still pretty early in my opinion.

1 Like

If he’s fighting you, he’s probably not ready

1 Like

My now almost 4 year old was the same way, wanted absolutely nothing to do with potty training with a potty. We’ve also have had help from my father in law who managed to get him interested in the big toilet (maybe try that instead) there are seats that fit perfectly on the toilet for kids who aren’t interested in using an actual potty. Just make sure there is a little step stool for him to get up and down, also rewards help A TON.

1 Like

My son was 4 before he became potty trained. I have a almost 3 yr old and he isn’t potty trained. Just started half way showing interest in it

1 Like

I get paid over $150+ per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 22687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

===> https://tourmaline-griffin-60af2e.netlify.app/

They can’t be forced. Just give him more time, he’s just not ready

He’s not ready. Do not force him either. He’s not stubborn it’s a natural fear some kids have because of the noise the toilet makes after being flushed and to some kids it looks big. Some are scared that they’ll get stuck when sitting on it or that a “monster” will grab them. Get one of those little kid toilet seats first and foremost and get one of those kid potty chairs that can be put in any room and dumped afterwards. Rewards like stickers a piece of candy etc. you have to look at it thru a mind of a child about the fear fyi

Need a little more info is he peeing in the toilet or just pooping his pants. My oldest got peeing in the toilet but would not poop in toilet. I just sat his ass on toilet with not smaller ring just big boy toilet and he started going

We got a mini potty to get our son used to the idea. And then transitioned into a potty seat on the toilet.

We put Cheerios in his potty chair. We encourage him all the time. He watched the video with Elmo using his potty. We had Elmo potty book. He was actually inspired.

I’m a big believer in they won’t succeed if they aren’t ready, I tried a few times with my son before he actually succeeded. But I never pushed him I just kept introducing the potty to him and eventually he was interested

I potty trained my son during quarantine and I taught him to pee off the porch :woman_shrugging: he still does it. Lol

1 Like

He may not be ready yet. Let him tell you, in his own ways, he’s ready. Just make it available to him and try to make it fun. And he’ll get there

My son was 4 before he was interested or even understood the potty training concept, he’s recently turned 5 and while we aren’t 100% yet we are about 85% potty trained. Just keep offering and talking about the potty A LOT, anytime you or dad goes, offer for him to come, make a normal thing first and he will eventually come around

1 Like

Get a farmers almanac it will tell you the best Tim to potty training.also put Cheetos in the toilet and tell him to hit them…

My son wasn’t ready for the toilet until about 5 months ago. He turned 4 today

1 Like

Sounds like he’s not ready. I would stop trying for now and wait a few months. If they aren’t ready it won’t work anyway. Get him a small potty he can mess with and sit on on his own time. 2 is the early side of potty training and it’s okay to wait longer.

2 Likes

I started the day my boys turned 2. One was fully trained in 2 weeks. The other was fully trained in 4 months but he was non verbal so we had to find our own way to communicate with each other. We did naked all day everyday (when we could). When they had accidents we cleaned it up together and talked about it. My youngest (non verbal) needed a training potty in our living room. My oldest used the normal toilet from the start. Also when you start don’t give up. If one or both get supper frustrated or aggravated stop for the day but start the second their feet hit the floor the next morning. Good luck. Also don’t listen to the “he is not ready” comments. Pick a day and start. You got this!

Put some fruit loops or cheerios in toilet and make it into a game. Have him try to pee on loops.

Put Cheerios in potty and let him shot them with pee

Sometimes their just not ready and if you try to force it you will just make it worse.

2 Likes

He just sounds like he’s not ready. Wait till he shows signs

You don’t potty train if they aren’t ready. Keep a potty around let him try it out occasionally. If you try to force it it can cause health issues and a whole power struggle that isn’t needed. Kids need to be able to recognize the signs their body is sending them so they know they need to go.

Put some Froot Loops in the bowl. Make it a game and see if he can pee on the Froot Loops better yet in the hole in the Fruitloop!