How to potty train boys?

Didn’t matter what I did with my middle child he wasn’t fully potty trained till recently and he’s about to turn 4

potty’s are extremely uncomfortable. try buying a toilet seat that’s soft and cusiongy to go on the toilet instead. my son won’t touch the potty but he goes on the toilet just fine. and if he’s not ready then stop, adding the pressure to it will only make it a horrible experience for both of you.

I don’t think he’s too young, I know every kid is different, but my son has been learning to use the potty, and he’s 2. So I don’t think he’s to young, maybe just not ready yet. Also, my son never wanted to go in big toilets, so we started him on a little potty, had him sit on it with his pull up on so he could get used to it, then transitioned to undoing the sides of the pull up and holding it underneath him while he went. Once he was comfortable with that we took the pull up away completely and let him go in the little potty. We made the biggest deal out of it. Always “yay you went potty” clapped, either gave him a sticker, sucker, or little dollar toys we bought and let him pick one. He’ll be 3 in June and now goes in the big toilet. There are some accidents but he’s getting alot better with having minimal.

you take him in the bathroom every 30-45 mins & make him sit for at least 10-15 mins. you also take him when you go. they’re going to fight it but it needs to be done.

you cannot wait for them to be “ready.” they will never be if you do that and everybody knows boys are more work.

ETA: the comments about he’s “too young,” :rofl::rofl::skull::skull:. not at all. not at all… all my kids were potty trained by 18 months… the only one i had a little trouble with is my autistic son & even then he was just turning 2 when he got it down… there’s no excuse for it tbh.

2 Likes

He’ll use the toilet when he’s ready! My oldest was a little over 3 when he was completely potty trained and my youngest was 23 months old when he trained his self because he saw his brother using the toilet. That’s one of the only thing he has control over so don’t rush him. If by by the time he’s 4 and not potty trained then I’d be worried. But I doubt that would ever happen.

1 Like

Let your garden become his best friend, then gradually start taking him, take the potty outside aswell if possible

I had 2 boys. The first one was completely potty trained at 2 1/2 and the younger still had pull ups on at 4! Absolutely refusing the potty if we weren’t at home!
He began to start talking about wanting to go to school a lot. I told him his teacher wouldn’t change a diaper, and he needed to be able to use the potty all the time if he wanted to go to school. That seemed to give him the push he needed.
But also, ignoring the comments of others who say your boy is slow, “should be using the potty by now” etc etc will help you a lot.
Remember that children are all different and that he WILL get there

3 Likes

My daughter jus turned 4… but she’s very scared of the toilet idk why?.. I even got her a couple potties to try in… everyone tells me she’ll go when she wants too… w my first I didn’t have a problem w him… he was fully potty trained at 3…
she’s in baby school now tho so hopefully she’ll use it soon… jus don’t rush him he’ll get there eventually

My grandma told me to get coffee can,Good aim,sounds &you don’t have to train sitting down &than standing uo.My son potty trained in a wk

My son is almost 4 and isn’t potty trained, they need time.

Try taking him outside to “water the grass”. That worked like a charm for my son.

Also DO NOT put a pull up or diaper on him except when he is going to bed or taking a nap.

1 Like

My son just turned 4 yesterday and he just started going potty about a month ago. He didn’t show any Interest in it what so ever and its Like someone flipped a switch and he started going and hasn’t looked back. All kids are different and he will get there when he is ready. Just don’t force him to go because that will turn him away from going all together

My daughter didn’t potty train till 3. Even at that point we had to do a weekend of no diapers or pull-ups. Two years old is still pretty early in my opinion.

1 Like

If he’s fighting you, he’s probably not ready

1 Like

My now almost 4 year old was the same way, wanted absolutely nothing to do with potty training with a potty. We’ve also have had help from my father in law who managed to get him interested in the big toilet (maybe try that instead) there are seats that fit perfectly on the toilet for kids who aren’t interested in using an actual potty. Just make sure there is a little step stool for him to get up and down, also rewards help A TON.

1 Like

My son was 4 before he became potty trained. I have a almost 3 yr old and he isn’t potty trained. Just started half way showing interest in it

1 Like

I get paid over $150+ per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 22687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

===> https://tourmaline-griffin-60af2e.netlify.app/

They can’t be forced. Just give him more time, he’s just not ready

He’s not ready. Do not force him either. He’s not stubborn it’s a natural fear some kids have because of the noise the toilet makes after being flushed and to some kids it looks big. Some are scared that they’ll get stuck when sitting on it or that a “monster” will grab them. Get one of those little kid toilet seats first and foremost and get one of those kid potty chairs that can be put in any room and dumped afterwards. Rewards like stickers a piece of candy etc. you have to look at it thru a mind of a child about the fear fyi

Need a little more info is he peeing in the toilet or just pooping his pants. My oldest got peeing in the toilet but would not poop in toilet. I just sat his ass on toilet with not smaller ring just big boy toilet and he started going

We got a mini potty to get our son used to the idea. And then transitioned into a potty seat on the toilet.

We put Cheerios in his potty chair. We encourage him all the time. He watched the video with Elmo using his potty. We had Elmo potty book. He was actually inspired.

I’m a big believer in they won’t succeed if they aren’t ready, I tried a few times with my son before he actually succeeded. But I never pushed him I just kept introducing the potty to him and eventually he was interested

I potty trained my son during quarantine and I taught him to pee off the porch :woman_shrugging: he still does it. Lol

1 Like

He may not be ready yet. Let him tell you, in his own ways, he’s ready. Just make it available to him and try to make it fun. And he’ll get there

My son was 4 before he was interested or even understood the potty training concept, he’s recently turned 5 and while we aren’t 100% yet we are about 85% potty trained. Just keep offering and talking about the potty A LOT, anytime you or dad goes, offer for him to come, make a normal thing first and he will eventually come around

1 Like

Get a farmers almanac it will tell you the best Tim to potty training.also put Cheetos in the toilet and tell him to hit them…

My son wasn’t ready for the toilet until about 5 months ago. He turned 4 today

1 Like

Sounds like he’s not ready. I would stop trying for now and wait a few months. If they aren’t ready it won’t work anyway. Get him a small potty he can mess with and sit on on his own time. 2 is the early side of potty training and it’s okay to wait longer.

2 Likes

I started the day my boys turned 2. One was fully trained in 2 weeks. The other was fully trained in 4 months but he was non verbal so we had to find our own way to communicate with each other. We did naked all day everyday (when we could). When they had accidents we cleaned it up together and talked about it. My youngest (non verbal) needed a training potty in our living room. My oldest used the normal toilet from the start. Also when you start don’t give up. If one or both get supper frustrated or aggravated stop for the day but start the second their feet hit the floor the next morning. Good luck. Also don’t listen to the “he is not ready” comments. Pick a day and start. You got this!

Put some fruit loops or cheerios in toilet and make it into a game. Have him try to pee on loops.

Put Cheerios in potty and let him shot them with pee

Sometimes their just not ready and if you try to force it you will just make it worse.

2 Likes

He just sounds like he’s not ready. Wait till he shows signs

You don’t potty train if they aren’t ready. Keep a potty around let him try it out occasionally. If you try to force it it can cause health issues and a whole power struggle that isn’t needed. Kids need to be able to recognize the signs their body is sending them so they know they need to go.

Put some Froot Loops in the bowl. Make it a game and see if he can pee on the Froot Loops better yet in the hole in the Fruitloop!

He isn’t ready. Boys are so easy… and for my son we started trying at 2 but he was almost 3 b4 he was actually using the potty regularly

1 Like

i started mine at 2 and he wasn’t ready until 3. don’t push it. he will go when he is ready.

these comments are quite sad… but it explains a lot about children & their behavior :woozy_face:… y’all basically let y’all kids run the show & then wondering why you have zero control over them by the time they’re 7/8. or, it’s straight up lazy parenting. i’ll never claim to be a perfect parent, but i damn sure do not let my kids run me. :woman_facepalming:t4:

My two year old came to me when he was ready, we tried months ago but he refused and was scared of it but now he will go

Make it fun, the actual toilet was a little scary to my son so he started by peeing outside then we worked our way in :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Take him outside and pee on a tree!!

4 Likes

I got a kids seat and put it on the toilet. Made my kids feel more grown up, worked for both.

Let them pee off the pack porch in the yard seriously this was the only way I could get my kids to do it lmao :rofl: that and it’s always a good laugh

2 Likes

He’s not ready clearly

My son was like that He was fully potty train closer to 3 1/2 just before he started school
Sounds like he’s just not ready yet

Sometimes a kid isn’t ready at 2. Don’t push. It will make it harder. Back off for a month and check again. Repeat until he’s ready and once he’s ready it will be done immediately

2 Likes

Both my boys really weren’t ready until 3 years old and it took a while but both were fully potty trained by 4 years old…

Let them pee out back in the yard, on a tree lol I have 3 boys and was hard to potty train finally my father in law started letting them pee out back and they started using it outside now they just whip it out and pee anywhere lol outside haha I’m likeee Noo you can’t just do that anywhere but now my 3 year is fully trained and has been since about 2

3 Likes

Throw some cheerios in the toilet bowl and tell him to aim :grin::v: … also he’ll do it when he’s ready

He’s not ready. Best to wait till he’s interested instead of the headache. You won’t accomplish anything forcing him. Boys take longer than girls anyway. I potty trained my boys with target games. I used colored cereal in the toilet . Now they have actual games on Amazon you can buy. Start by making it a game and see where that goes

Little young, plus he’s a boy!

We used gel food coloring in the toilet for my 2 year old. He knew when he peed and hit the blobs of food coloring it would separate and change the toilet waters color. He also really enjoyed blue and red and making them change color when he peed. We always allowed my son to pee standing up we did not force him to sit down and when in doubt let him go outside and pee wherever he wants

1 Like

We let our boys pee on a tree at first then moved onto the potty they make toddler urinals

i always see advice on how to get them to pee in my opinion that’s the easy part. My son is four and refuses to go poop in the potty.

When he is older - have Daddy show him how big boys pee in the toilet. He will really think that is big stuff.

Wait until he’s ready, if u push 2 hard u will traumatise him, it’s perfectly fine for a 2 year old to not be toilet trained

He isn’t ready wouldn’t worry or force it.

Usually about 3 for boys. Don’t force it .

Wait until he’s ready. If he doesn’t want to do it, don’t push him. My son was 3 before he was potty trained.

Get a child size toilet seat and tell him to use the big boy toilet… my son wouldn’t use potty so we bought a child size toilet seat and we were lucky that he decided to use it no tantrums at all

He will do it when he’s ready! He might not be old enough or mature enough yet.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train boys? - Mamas Uncut

Let him do it when he is ready

1 Like

I used a “potty chart” … For each time he went convectively, he’d get a small treat and after the tenth or so time in a row he’d get a big treat… like a trip to his favorite play place. I used stickers and everything :rofl: worked in about a week

1 Like

Throw some fruit loops in toilet and he gets a prize for hitting them

3 Likes

Cheerios in the toliet as Target practice

1 Like

My boy was absolutely awful until I purchased the frog urinal from Amazon(less than $20) They tinkle on the spinning thing and get a kick out of it. No problem after that.

We just left a little potty in the living room and let him run naked, we started with pooping though because he was pooping at the same time every day, so we just sat him on the toilet when it was time and he went with it… he was like 2 and a half when we started and by the time he was 3 he no longer wet the bed

1 Like

Find their favorite show, pause between episodes and to attempt the bathroom or no show.
Depending on how long been trying to consistently potty train, it could be a sensory issue.

M&ms for pee, popsicle (or big reward) for poop. Make it a HUGE deal every time he uses the toilet. I would FaceTime my husband or my mom. Talk about what a big boy he was. Tell him how awesome and smart he was. Once he starts going by himself for like a week, slowly cut out the treats. Eventually he will go without expecting anything. Pee is usually easier than poop. For poop, you may have to make him go bottomless so he has no choice but to use the toilet

Is this your first boy? Second follows their brother. I suggest dish soap in the toilet and play bust the bubbles. Use cloth training pants in the daytime and no other clothing on bottom when possible. Needs to feel wet and have easy access to toilet

My son would go on the potty but still had accidents until we got a urinal for him. As for pooping he didn’t like the potty seats that just went on the toilet, we found one with steps and he was fine. I’d suggest finding what works because comfort is key. If it’s an issue of them using it in general take it slow. Some kids takes longer and thats ok. Also some need/do better with rewards, some need something else to pay attention too (a book, tablet if you use one, a fidget toy, whatever), some need a reminder often ect. It’s about making it an enjoyable transition in my opinion, it’s a learning thing like anything else.

Let me know when you find the secret to training boys, I’d love to teach my husband LOL :rofl:

4 Likes

Naked time! My kids were naked when we were home at the grandparents house all the time. Block off a room and have a potty there with them. Praise them when they do it make such a big deal!! Both my boys trained just before their 2nd birthday abd a couple months after two they were fully trained. Keep pull ups off them as much as possible I only put them on for going to the store a d naked as soon as we were back. Once they started getting the hang of it for a few weeks than I introduced underwear abd showed them how to pull them down to pee. Have them always pee sitting down until they are around 4 that way it’s easier and not as much mess for you to clean.

cheerios to aim at in the potty

1 Like

You didn’t say how old your son is. It varies from child to child. Some kids are ready earlier than others. I couldn’t get my son to even look at the potty without screaming until he was almost 3. It’s easiest if you can block off s room and let the child run around naked with a potty chair in the room. Tell your son when he feels like he needs to go, to sit on the potty. It’s helpful if you have some idea what time your son usually poops in the morning, you can have him sit on the potty around that time and see if you can catch him. If you do, make a huge deal of it! Then clean out the potty for the next round. If you can get your son to pee in the potty, make a huge deal of that too! Keep something available for your son to drink so he’ll have to go more often. That way you’ll be able to catch him more often. Later on, put him in training pants. Show him how to push them down so he can potty and pull them back up. Of course, if he has an accident he’ll know right away. Let that go on for awhile. Make a huge deal of it every time he uses the potty.

my son is 3 (just turned 3 end of may) and he WILL NOT go. I bought the little potty with the flusher thing, stairs to go on the bigger potty, a paw patrol padding attachment for the big potty, potty training “stickers” they aim at and pee, books, the frog urinal…. all of that and he has not taken to any of it. I reward him if he goes (which has only been pee 3/1000 times) he likes to hide when he poops and pees in his diaper, he always has, so he holds it until he can get his pamper back on and goes to hide. i’ve almost just given up because i’ve done every single thing…. i cry over it. i feel so useless. and like such a failure of a mother. im a SAHM and what am I doing staying home with him if I can’t even teach him to use the potty correctly? :pensive:

when you find the right answer… let me know please

1 Like

is there a difference in how we potty train girls and boys? it’s all the same to me, set a timer, take them for a wee… i don’t have to do the timer anymore because i remember when to take him, i take him every 45 minutes and only have accidents some days. he still wears a pull up at nighttime.

Paint a red dot on a ping pong ball, throw it in the toilet & then tell your son to sink it

l get paid over $167 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18295 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingearning154.pages.dev/

Work at it every day…be persistent…then one day, you’ll wake up and he goes on his own.

My friEnd has potty trained 5 boys. She told me the other day. She let them run around home naked during potty training and it worked. :woman_shrugging:
#girlmom

I let my son pee in the backyard.

Let him pee on a tree

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train boys?

Throw some colored cereal in the bowl for him to aim at…

2 Likes

My sons didn’t go on the potty till he was 3.5yrs old I didn’t push him. I just one weekend let him go in big boy underwear outside while doing chores he peed him self three times. Tried it again the weekend after and he s never had an accident since. I’m on the when he’s ready he’s ready.

1 Like

Potty watch! Has a timer and lights up and plays music to get them to at least try. Every time it goes off bring them to the potty. And if you have a trying seat set it in the middle of the room where he is mostly at and have him at least try then slowly move it closer to the actual bathroom and then go from there.

Boys usually go a little later than girls. I potty trained 7. Every hour and a half, bring them to try.

1 Like

I make over $220 an hour working from home. I never thought I’d be able to do this, but my colleague makes over $17,980 a month doing it, and he convinced me to give it a try. The possibilities with this are endless.

SEE MORE HERE…>> https://moneyboost8.pages.dev/

I put cereal in the toilet and let him target practice

1 Like

OUTSIDE…. Peeing in the grass or on a tree is something all little boys think it so cool :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Just don’t push him. Let him do it at his own pace.

4 Likes

I have 3 kids. 2 boys, 1 girl. My youngest son actually potty trained himself at 2 years old. He wet the bed once and he didn’t like it. So with my oldest son I just had him come to the bathroom with me regardless if I was going number 1 or 2. Then it got to the point where he wanted to do it so I would sit him on the toilet until he went and I would reward him for it. I didn’t have him do the whole stand up peeing thing. That would be too tricky and quite a mess. They will figure that out when they’re older. But keep in mind, it takes longer for boys. So even if at some point you want to try under wear, you will have to wash sheets alot. Make sure you have a plastic cover for the mattress. The pull ups are great but sometimes the pee will soak through so that’s why I suggested a plastic cover for the mattress. Good luck!

Let him pee on a tree

Boys seem harder then girls. My daughter did it by herself at 18 months old. I tried at 12 months and she wasn’t ready so I didn’t push her. Would take her to the bathroom with me Everytime I went and t 18 months old she said I have to go potty went on the toilet and that was it. My son that’s another story. I tried at 12 months, 18 months 24 months etc. He finally got it about 4. He is also delayed developmentally tho. He also would not poop in the potty until he was 4.5. come to find out he was having trouble going and it hurt. Anyways he is now 10 and occasionally has night accidents but other then that he was fully potty trained at 4.5. i can’t remember 100% but I think both of them were potty trained through the night around 5 5.5? Good luck momma. Boys are stubborn.

I was taking a potty training class and it mentioned that boys should initially learn to go sitting down, with the pee pee aiming into the bowl. I don’t personally have a boy, but I imagine this would be an easier approach as a young toddler potty training.

For my daughter we did incentives of special stickers after going potty, and an occasional special activity. We did clear communication and put her in underwear so she could experience what having an accident on herself felt like. It’s been 1 week and she’s only had 2 accidents! She’s going on the potty, telling us when she needs to go and has pooped on the potty as well. I feel like if she wasn’t ready, she wouldn’t be doing so well, so definitely take your time and get him used to the process. Maybe let him have some accidents and gently explain why it happened.

Emalla Amamatuak read rumakallaquuravikkit