How to potty train boys?

My boys watered the trees and indoors I put 2 cheerios in the bowl and bet them they couldn’t hit them peeing.

Give him a potty training book to look at while he’s on potty give him stickers n little prize each time he goes let him go with his dad when he’s at home LOTS OF PRAISE you can buy little things for him to aim at on toilet bowl that are flushable set your clock take him every 30 minutes don’t ask just take him especially after he eats or drinks stop giving drinks several hours before bed get some cool potty training pants n get some others for when he learns to look forward to good luck lots of patience :blue_heart::blue_heart:

Put a few corks from mineral bottles in the toilet get him a step and tell him to hit the corks in the toilet bowl great fun but ull need gloves :rofl:

I threw cheerios in the toilet to get him to tinkle. It was fun to hit them

1 Like

Throw a few Cheerios in the toilet and tell him to pee on them! It’s a game.

i potty trained my son & daughter the same way, i stayed home as much as possible while potty training & let them walk around naked from the waist down, put a training potty in front of the tv and had them sit on it every 15 minutes for a few minutes & rewarded them with a small treat everytime they used to potty. my son took 3 days, my daughter took about a week.

I let all 4 of mine pee on trees

1 Like

I had 2 boys. Have him pee in the water. All boys love it. If his father or another male can show him it will help. Dont make a big deal out of wanting down. Just try later. What helped me with pooping was getting my boys in" big boy " underwear. They loved underoos. Superheros can be a
huge incentive, PLUS peeing or pooping in them is uncomfortable. It gets cold and lumpy.
Also if he poops in them( or for that matter a diaper) have him see you flush the poop down the toilet. It makes the connection thats where its supposed to go. If you put too much pressure it becomes a power struggle. But hes 2 so you already know about those.

Hes not ready. Its so.much more then just going. Its similar to walking. Theres muscles to control, understanding what his body is feeling then learning to hold it. You wouldnt rush walking or talking. I’d look for a different preschool or a daycare or even post at the local middle and high school and or college and see if someone would come to your house to hang with him while getting some work done. Honestly kids potty train themselves when ready seemingly overnight.

3 Likes

He might not be ready. Sometimes they just aren’t and you gotta take the pressure off of him and yourself. My daughter didn’t potty train until 4 and when she did she also kept herself dry at night the same day. My first son potty trained at 2 but did not stop wearing pull ups at night until 3 1/2. My second son potty trained at 2 1/2 but is still wearing pull ups at night. The thing that worked best for my kids was just to take off the diapers put on underwear and let them have accidents. It took longer with my daughter. So we had to take breaks every now and then. But after a week or two I would try again. As for night time you’ll want to do the same thing. Get a waterproof mattress cover, take off the diaper, put on underwear and let them have accidents. They eventually learn and figure out that they want to go to the bathroom. It’s okay though if he’s not ready. Look into finding a babysitter that will come to your home while you work.

Firstly, don’t stress, boys tend to take longer and also, he’s still young. My eldest didn’t until 4 no matter what, he wasn’t ready then one day it just happened. Don’t pressure him because it will just give him issues with using the toilet - read books, take him to pick big boy pants. If you are going to potty train, go all in with pants only and pull ups at night. As I said though, he’s still young. Its usually around 2 they even show interest and that’s still not for certain. Mum of 2 boys, 1 girl and 1 boy on the way, 3 toilet trained.

4 Likes

Give him toy , book, reward if he sits and goes

I used the book Holy Crap Potty Training for my boys. Her methods worked amazingly and trained right at 2 years old.

1 Like

I used to put cherrios in the potty and see of he could shoot them down that’s how I got him to pee in the potty then he started going naturally after that also I let them pee outside like their grampa did

Johanna Marie .might find some helpful info here. Other than peeing on trees! Can’t do that since you live in an apartment!

Cherrios make great targets for sinking. Throw 3 cherrios in the toilet bowl and tell him to aim for the boats.

1 Like

My advise purchase a urinal that sticks to your bathroom wall.
Once you’ve mastered pee, start with toilet and poos.
Best thing I ever did with my 3rd boy and he mastered the toilet and was dry 24/7 once he first went.

2 Likes

Put cherrios in the stool and have him shoot at them…more like a game :blush:

Sticker chart and candies lol candy whenever he actually pees. Stickers for sitting. 2 stickers and 2 candies for poop. Worked like a charm for my stubborn 3 year old

My son was the easiest to potty train out of my 3 (boy and two girls). He was 2 and 5 months. He literally trained himself in 2 days flat and never had a mistake. Mil gave him a £1 coin the first time he did a wee in the potty and that was it :joy::joy: think that day cost her about a tenner :joy::joy:

The girls were 2 and half years. Each took a week to get the basics and had accidents. I chose a week when weather was warm. Let them run around in just a t shirt nothing on their bottoms to begin with. Once they’d mastered knowing when they were going and sit on the potty - then I added underwear. Again once they got the gist of needing to lower underwear and sit on potty I went to the next stage

What’s the rush to send him to preschool? Studies have shown that, especially for boys, too much structure too soon is detrimental to their learning.

He’s obviously not ready and trying to rush him for YOUR convenience is messed up and can also be damaging to him and may even push his likelihood of being potty trained farther and farther into the future

1 Like

Have a dude show him what to do.

To much to have him home???

1 Like

Get fruitloops (cereal) put about five in toilet (different colors) get a stool, have him stand on it now get your husband to show his son how to aim for the fruitloops.

At the daycare we put cherrios in the toilet. Then tell the boys to aim at them.

They been doing it for a month.

So far at day care their has only been 1 accident.

Put Cheerios in the toilet and tell him to shoot them down .

Float something (paper) in the toilet and let him sink it as he urinates. He will enjoy the game and move on from there.

I put an empty tin outside in the garden, it was summer. He was potty trained in a week😁

Cheerios in the potty or you could put dish soap in the potty and tell him make the bubbles

Put a few cheerios or fruit loops in the toilet and make it a game,
Worked amazingly for my boy

Rewards with little candies helped with mine super well

First get cloth training pants and the plastic cover. Diapers and pull-ups soak the urine so fast they don’t associate the sensation of peeing with getting wet. The wet feeling is uncomfortable and he will quickly learn the connection. When he pees himself tell him that is what the potty chair is for, if he uses the potty chair his pants won’t get wet. It also helps if he can see other boys or dad use the toilet, or a tree or two. It also helps to let him play outside naked with sunscreen on boys seem to love to watch the pee flow. It also helps to let him pick out big boy underwear that he can only wear after going potty in the toilet if he has an accident back to the cloth training pants. Once he starts using the potty chair or toilet wake him up to go potty before you go to bed and each time you wake up in the middle of the night. That will teach him it is ok to get up to potty. Good luck.

i put cheerios in the toilet and told them to sink them…they had a blast and learned quickly

Same here girl same here!! I will be following this thread for sure so thank you!

We put fruit loops in the toilet and made a game out of it. During the summer just had him go outside but we also didn’t live in town then. He will get it down when he’s ready. I had trouble with my middle daughter and she didn’t get it down until she was close to 4-1/2 or 5. Hang in there! :muscle:

We went through the same exact thing… one day it just clicked with him. My daughter picked it up faster but our children are all different. He’ll get it… just be patient. Like my mom said you’re potty trained right now. Lol meaning he’ll get it eventually lol.

I let mine pee outside, then he started going in the potty

Dad’s and son’s with potty is a 100% yes! Let dad take him all te time.
Let he show him how a " MAN DO IT" just try

I would get a potty or special bucket for him. Leave it in the toilet and door open and say, it’s there when you feel ready.
We tried for ages with my son (ASD diagnosis) and then when we just left him alone, he started doing it all by himself. I guess my son felt added stress or pressure when we were asking him

Keep trying :muscle: if it gets too emotional give it a break, he may not be ready yet. I’ve always waited for my son to be ready for things (interested and willing) before trying and then using a lot of incentives and encouragement. He has GDD with ASD and ADHD traits so pushing him to do anything before he is ready is just frustrating for both of us. Some kids take a while to be ready, a few books, lots of talking about it, reminders and encouragement will help him prepare :heart:

2 Likes

Cheerios in the toilet works great :+1: tell him to sink them ! I had 2 strong willed boys ( lived in the country) so one was potty trained outside but the Cheerios worked wonders! I kept a bag of them in my purse and when we were out I would put them in a toilet where ever we were, made it a game !!

1 Like

Let him pee on a tree or in a bottle something guys do lol

1 Like

My son was 4 when he finally got fully potty trained. I tried everything. A friend suggested taking away his Pull Ups. He only had one accident & he hated how it felt. He’s never had an accident again.

2 Likes

I have a son who we potty trained in 1 weekend. we gave him an m&m every time he used the potty. of course he learned to game the system, so he would pee a little, come over with his hand out , get his m&m, and then go back to the potty and do a little more to get another m&m.

My son wouldn’t potty train until after his 4th birthday but he was speed delayed so he had trouble telling us when he needed to go. We also let him run around naked which helped as well. We got him a floor size toilet that makes flushing noises which he loved.

I used cheerios or fruit loops throw a couple in the toilet and tell him to shoot them :rofl: makes peeing fun and helps teach good aim , i kept a little jar in my bathroom of them with a giant do not eat label for quick access lmaoo

3 Likes

My mom potty trained boys by having them pee on Cheerios. I have girls so I never tested it but when we were younger it was successful with both my brothers and another boy so I’m assuming it’s effective :rofl:

grandson did the same thing, he is almost 4 ( February) and he was good for awhile then he refused he would come say i peed my pants so one day i changed his pants 5 times in one afternoon he is so stubborn

Let him run around naked for 3 days no diapers no pull ups it’ll work but you can’t put diapers or pull ups on at ALL

5 Likes

I dealt with this with my little man and he was potty trained (or so we thought) for a few months and then regressed as he was one of the younger kids in his daycare class so while his peers were moving to pre k he was getting new peers who were not potty trained. He eventually got the hang of it once kindergarten started, he’s 7 now.

I used to stress about the potty training and thought it was never going to happen, but when he’s ready it will happen. Good luck.

2 Likes

Get rid of the pull ups. Put him in underwear and when he has an accident leave them on him for a little bit (5-10 minutes) and start making him clean up the mess.

1 Like

When I was all out of options this worked

Following, in the same boat with my 3 year old boy.

1 Like

Maybe if he doesn’t have anything to play with he’ll learn. He could get a toy back when he uses the potty and one taken away when he doesn’t use it.

1 Like

Let him sit on the toilet get a tablet or ur phone go on u tube put on a potty song they have different songs for kids and cartoon character it worked for my son when he was 4 don’t let him get up from the toilet until he poops

Not about potty training but an amusing story… my 6-year-old nephew returned from a weekend trip and I took him to the park. Suddenly he has to pee so he goes up to a tree and starts to whip it out! I’m like “WHAT are you doing?!!” he said… “Oh,it’s okay this is what we did when we went camping!” :rofl: I said “This is a public park full of people, that’s not the same thing!” :joy:

We were struggling with our youngest until someone told us to follow the farmer’s almanac he is not having accidents daily and will go on his own

I had my sons seat reverse on the toilet for #2. They didn’t care for the mini toddler toilets.

You can put coloring stuff. Small basket of little toys. Etc

Try to see if he goes #2 at the same times during the day.

I tried everything, pull ups, the padded undies, let him pick his undies, little pottys etc. I left my son naked and then he would hold it until he couldn’t anymore and go on my floor, after that I asked if he wanted to go on the big potty like mommy he said yes so I went and bought steps and a seat and now he’s potty trained. He turned 4 in August and was potty trained a week before his bday, I just make sure he goes before we leave the house and before bed and other than that he knows when he needs to go! Good luck mama❤️

Mine finally stopped having accidents when he started kindergarten in August hes 6 and he would have temper with crying and screaming… That all stopped like first day so good luck he also has ADHD and it was tuff

I have 8 kids and I’ve never potty trained any of them. Kids naturally will do it. What I did do was encourage the boys to pee on trees and bushes and stuff so they’d get the feeling of how to control it.

2 Likes

I have 2 sons, one is 30 and the other is 22. I took both of them when they were potty training age to the backyard, and they peed on a tree we had. Lol it worked and neither had one accident or anything after that. Not one. Ever.

I let my son pee in the yard!

My girls were fairly easy. My youngest daughter woke up one morning, took her diaper off and never put it back on.

My son though - he REFUSED.

The one time he told me he had to pee, we had just come home from the grocery store and I was struggling to get the key into the door while holding bags.

I told him “go over there and pee in the bushes”. He did. After that it was a wrap.

It did take me a couple of weeks to get him to understand that he can’t just pee in any bushes, but it got the ball rolling.

6 Likes

There could be a medical issue, maybe have him see the doctor.

He might just not be ready. Take a break from potty training and re visit it in a few weeks.

I am going through the same thing and same age mine will b 4 next month

my son’s been doing great when it comes to #1, but can still #2 in his pants if he doesn’t want to stop what he’s doing. just recently he’s been getting better about that, he’s 4yo.
2 things I’ve noticed that has worked for him, 1-i have to make it seem like it’s his idea in some way. and 2- bc he’s a boy, if weren’t for dad doing the “mirror” method w him I don’t think he’d have the #1 down so well.
your boy will get it, hang in there

My son was potty trained by 5… Boys are wired different to girls… He finally got the hang of it but was still in pull ups at 5…maybe try a ping pong ball in the toilet for him to aim at xx

Are accidents both? If just pooping you should look into see GI due to fecal holding.

Throw away the pull-ups and let them wear regular underwear,it doesn’t take long to feel uncomfortable and the are ready to use the potty. I had all my children and grand children potty trained by the time they were no older than 2 1/2!

2 Likes

I let all of my boys run around naked when potty training. We didn’t leave the house for like 3-4 days. They liked to potty outside, make bubbles ( poured bubbles in the toilet and let them go), fruit loops in the toilet and sink the O’s. Drops of food coloring and it would mix in the water. You can do all kinds of creative things. Gradually take the fun things away.

3 Likes

My 3 almost 4 year old boy is the same way I have tried everything and his doctor has said to wait to try again until 4 1/2

I used dinosaur stickers at the bottom of a kid potty for my son and he LOVES them. When you pee on it a dinosaur appears but when you take all the liquid out the sticker goes back to black

With my son I had to take all pull-ups away. Did boxers and he definitely didn’t like the feeling whatsoever. I know it’s going to be hard on you but you’re going to need to move him away from playing every hour on the hour and take him to the toilet and have him sit or stand for 5-10 minutes and if he cries or throws a tantrum give him a stern warning and if he continues put him in time out. At age 4 they do know how to go but they just refuse to cause they just want to keep playing and they also trying to find their independence and their voices. Only times they don’t know how or are downright refusing is there’s been abuse, SA, disabilities, or something else going on like medically. So first and foremost take him to the pediatrician make sure nothing else is going on then try the ideas myself and others have suggested. Rule out everything else first tho.

1 Like

Put fruit loops in the toilet! They think it’s a game!

1 Like

Sounds mean but I made my 4 year old try to change his own poop diaper when he asked to be changed. He made a big mess and as I was showering him I told him that big boys who don’t want poop on them go in the potty. He never wore a diaper again :woman_shrugging:

Put a pee target in the toilet, might work idk

So for my kid, I handed him his “last” pull up ND asked him if he is a big kid. He said yes, I said ok. Big kids wear undies and not pull ups. If you are a big kid then throw this last pull up away. And there will be no more pull ups. He did it, so it was his decision. We took the trash out. When he asked about a pull up when he needed to poo later I just softly reminded him he decided he is a big boy and he went on the potty now. And we went cold turkey for a week. No issues. He went on the potty but he could NOT wake up to go pee at night even waking him up at midnight ans cutting fluids. Everything. Could not wake to potty. So we brought them back for overnight bc he sleeps like the dead. He just turned 5 and still sleeps like the dead. But we will be attempting to night train soon

My oldest was 4 1/2 when he was potty trained. We tried & tried. It was like pulling teeth. I finally asked him if he was just being lazy & he told me yes. So i told him if he didnt go potty, he was gonna get spanked. He was potty trained from then on. He never got spanked. He was just strong willed & being lazy & thought it was funny making mommy insane!! My youngest was just over 4. It was Spring & he loved peeing outside. He was potty broke just a little over a week after we started. Boys in general are super strong willed & like to do things when they’re ready. Good luck to you!!

Mom of 3 boys here - they’ll do it when they’re ready and not a minute before. One took 3.5 years, his brother was nearly done at 2. Stop driving yourself crazy, it won’t make a darn difference.

You could try to have friends, family, etc. suggest and set up play dates, and then have to cancel when it’s revealed he isn’t trained. FOMO is a huge motivator. “Grandma was going to take you to the park and McDs for the afternoon, but only if you can go potty. You’re too big for her to pick up onto the changing table anymore. Maybe when you’re bigger you can go…”

Pull ups are nothing more then a diaper. Get rid of them.

Idk but the more you push the more he will regress

He may feel he’s going to miss out on what’s going on. My son had encopresis (stool holding). Took a long time and a trip to ER for it to click in his head that he needs to poop on toilet. Now that he’s an adult I’ve asked him why he did that. He said nobody has time sit and poop.

Stop potty training!!! He doesn’t give in to pressure. He knows where & how to go. Put him in underwear or better yet cloth, not disposable training paints & rubber pants. When he goes PRAISE HIM, reward him. I bought some outdated calendars with characters they chose. Each time they went they could put a sticker or stamp on a square & got a nilla wafer. When the page was done they could turn it to see the next picture. I’d do “specials” like “if you get stickers upto #4 today you can choose a prize”. This worked for my youngest. Him being trained first worked for his older (1y apart) sister. When he wets or dirties himself let him set for a few minutes, change him very emotional less & continue. Don’t punish or lecture just let it go.

1 Like

Squirt cheerios in the toilet.

We just practiced peeing by trees for the longest time and potty training outside. Worked for us… my son loved peeing by the trees :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My son is stubborn and fought and fought, finally we just did underwear daytime. Pull up nighttime. Only had had 1 accident since. He’s just about 4.

He’ll do it when he’s ready. Learned that the hard way

My boys pee outside n on tires

My son was the same way a few months ago until finally I gave up and just delt with him throwing fits to be put in a pull up, he hated going in his pants so he threw fits for about a day about it but we got over it in like 3 days and now he doesn’t even have accidents

I did the peeing on the cheerios thing where he aims at the cheerios to see them float. And I also put food coloring in his potty and when he needed it changed colors and he seemed to like it

When my SIL was potty training my nephew she used a tall jar (in those days they were all glass and heavy) and had him hold it over the toilet with her help on the bottom. He loved watching it fill. Then they would dump it in and rinse the jar, dump again and flush. When they went out she had a matching jaw in the car so he didn’t miss a time. It took about a week and he only wore little tightie whities like dad with no accidents.
Yes he did convert to not using a jar but it took a few months.

My Mr 2 has just discovered the bubbles in the toilet and has his own game of weeing on them to pop them :woman_shrugging: hes not happy when he flushes and they re all back and he has no wee left :rofl: before that we just encouraged him to wee on the grass or lemon tree ,he refuses now since getting his foot :rofl::woman_facepalming:

these are great suggestions! thanks everyone! I’m definitely trying all of these!

Could he have adhd and/or autism? I would have him assessed, to be sure.

I was influenced by another nosey mom and hurried my first son. He was a bed wetter for awhile and I think it’s cuz I stressed him out. I tried different things with our second son- Cheerios in the toilet for target practice, letting him put a sticker on a paper hung on the bathroom wall is what worked. But, I think it’s because he was ready. Try different things but don’t let other people pressuring you make you pressure him. :heart:

1 Like

Do you live where he can urinate outdoors? Let him pee on trees.

1 Like

Buy him panties of his hero on them, constant reminders every half hour. Make a fuss over what a big boy he is

Put cheerios in the potty and tell him to aim and hit them like a game.