How to potty train boys?

Sit him on the toilet backwards facing the lid give him a washable markers to draw on the potty with and once he’s done give him a sticker and let him pick out something from a prize box

As a mama of 2 boys and a preschool teacher. The best advice I can give is don’t use pullups! Go straight to the big potty too not “toy” potties A kid any age has to be ready though you can’t force it… Make a potty chart look up silly potty songs and videos, Go straight to underwear under diapers if needed for nap time… lots of consistency and Patients

3 Likes

Read oh crap potty training method. Great tips and helps you stay strong.

I’ve got three boys two potty trained one is only one. The other two I took shopping and let them pick out underwear (buy lots of them) and let them pick their treat one picked m&ms one picked suckers. One liked potty seats that sit on the big potty one liked the little floor toilets. Set them on the potty for five minutes and then put them on it every 15 min I did that for two days then I went to a half hour. If it’s nice out let them pee outside they think it’s the best thing ever.

Both my boys were trained by about 3.5 I think. Real big boy under wear, it helps them understand that those don’t hold the pee …obviously for your sanity use pull up’s at night. Aside from that get them on a schedule where they have to try to go every 2 hours. When they do go use positive reinforcement. I did a chart and I had cheap but effective rewards, the chart was like once they went so long without an accident they got a cooler/bigger surprise

Get daddy to show them how it is done

Also you can throw Cheerios in the toilet and aim for the Cheerios I have two boys

1 Like

Bribery… Straight up bribing all 3 of my children got them to use it and I waited until they were around 3 as well. Putting fruit loops into the toilet for him to aim at helped :joy:

Just tell him it’s there and leave it at that. Don’t comment on using the toilet or if he doesnt

I waited until all 3 of my boys were almost 3 and just did the naked thing. They were day trained in a week, night trained the next week. No drinks an hour before bedtime. If they still have a night time accident set an alarm for the middle of the night to wake them up and make them go on the potty, even if they don’t go it’ll let them know that it’s expected of them to actually wake up and go to the toilet.

1 Like

I waited till mine seemed ready but being able to pee off the back porch was his favorite and helped a lot but we live in the country…

My kid is three and while he is day and nighttime trained he still sits. Always start sitting. Once they have mastered the urgency to go this is easily converted to standing.

1 Like

Start with books about using the potty. Watch for him to be ready, let him pick out new underwear. Mine were older 3ish but we did it in one day, yes they were probably ready sooner but we had way less accidents than friends that started earlier. And went right to underwear 100% no pullups even at night.

Sit him backwards on the toilet so that way it’s an easier transition to standing in front of it. Also if your gonna have him stand throw some Cheerios in the water and have him aim at them.

3 Likes

My oldest was 20 months old when I had her potty trained. My second had problems for a long time. And my son showed no interest at all. I tried at 2, and gave up. He was 3 before we succeeded and when he decided that he no longer wanted diapers, it was no problems.

:rofl: :joy: I struggled!
He was keen to use the potty before reaching a whole two.
I was the problem :confused:
There was always a mess… the pee was forever shot outside the potty as I had him sit on it like I did with my girl.
He then found ways to use the potty all by himself shortly after
With night time I started waking him up to pee two times a night…
In 3 weeks he woke me up at the exact times.

I live in the country with no neighbors so my son picked up pretty quickly when he see his dad peeing off the back porch, what was hard for me was getting him to understand that it wasn’t appropriate for other places😅

Def not ready,boys are usually 3ish before they’re ready.So don’t stress it yet.My rule of thumb was when they’re nite dry for one week then they’re ready

I would so wait for awhile! Unless you feel he’s going to be one of those kids that pulls his diaper off and pees all over the place (it happens to the best of us!) if he turns out to be one of those, start immediately when that starts happening lol. Pee goes in the potty!! No where else

My mother was a day care provider she wld have younger kids watch older kids in bathrooms and that worked great.

My son was 3. His 3rd birthday and pulled off his nappy and said no more. He took 4 days to completely toilet train. 19 months Is a bit young.

Patients and a lot of clapping and cheering

You wait until they’re ready. They’ll go on their own. Kids don’t actually need “potty-trained” because they’ll simply just start using the toilet when they’re ready.

1 Like

I waited till my son was 2. 1/2 because people said boys were harder. No diapers during the day. First day he peed all over himself never had another accident. Now we made many trips to the potty falsely, but he didn’t even wet a night diaper.