How to potty train girls?

Her potty is also by the big toilet in the bathroom

After asking…just take her to the toilet.

1 Like

Well me and my ex potty trained our daughter my putting her potty chair in front of the tv and she just started using it on her owen she didn’t want anything to do with the toilet until she started use her potty chair in front of the tv so yo might want to try that who knows

Record the times she goes. See if there is a pattern. If you here is she is ready to be trained. Ten minutes before her “schedule” go with her to get he potty
Yes it is a pain, but nude or regular panties. Let her pick out the panties she wants.

Don’t use underwear at all. Have her go commando for a temporary amount of time. Kids don’t like the feeling of pee going down their leg. Also underwear feels very similar to a diaper/pull up so it makes it feel safe to go. Do a day of completely naked bottom. Stay home. Tell her when she has to go, use the potty. Don’t over ask or over hover. Telll her you trust her and that she can walk to the potty when she feels like she has to go. She’s old enough it shouldn’t take more than a couple days to do. The commando thing can go on for a few weeks with no accidents and then you can try underwear after she’s been accident free for awhile. Good luck!

2 Likes

We did every 15 minutes even if she didn’t have to go she just sat on the potty. & once she got the hang of it we were able to do every 30 minutes, after going potty on the big girl potty all week she got a surprise. Could have been a toy, ice cream, slurpee, candy ect. Sometimes she got one after going potty all day without any accidents. Sooner or later we got to her telling us when she had to go without asking. She was potty trained by 2 1/2. She just turned 3 two months ago.

2 Likes

My girl was extremely stubborn so I let her go to Walmart and pick out a toy. It was a $75 zoo from fisher price. When we got home I put it in her sight but out of her reach. She understood what she was supposed to do she just didn’t want to. I explained when she used the potty for a whole day she could have the toy. It was a rough 3 days or crying and whining that she wanted her new toy but when she realized I was not giving in she finally used the potty. After that, she still had a few accidents but always went when I told her to go.

Candy is always a good reward a piece when u go potty!

1 Like

My daughter turned 3 in February and we just got her potty trained a few months ago. We did the naked method while we was home and made her get on the potty every 30 minutes.

3 Likes

I did a sticker chart for my daughter… i had a whole slew of stickers for her to choose from. Kids love stickers :sweat_smile: When she filled the chart all the way up, I took her to the dollar tree and let her pick a few toys, lol. She has now been fully potty trained for a month :blush:

2 Likes

Reward her often…Dont just ask her take her …and be really enthusiastic when she does potty…Put regular panties on her with her favorite cartoon characters …and tell her not to poop or pee on her friends…

1 Like

I was told to go a weekend without panties on them (don’t accept visitors of course) and have her potty chair right in the living room where you are chillin and tell her she needs to use the potty cause she’s a big girl. After she goes the first time, take out some nice Disney princess or her favorite character and tell her they are nice panties and she doesn’t want to ruin them. Tell her she’s a big girl now and big girls for wet their pants. That’s how we potty trained all 3 of my nieces and several friends potty trained both boys and girls this way. Also give a surprise when she goes on the potty! Make a big deal of it! Good luck mama!

Potty trained my son and granddaughter both before they were 9 months old. I let them sit on the potty and eat anything they wanted or play with a toy. I didn’t force them. I sat beside them and chatted or read a book to them. I think it was easier than waiting until they were older.

1 Like

Sounds like my little Miss Sassy pants :joy: she’s also 3.5 and I just got her potty trained. I put her on the toilet every 20 minutes and would offer 1 skittle/m&m for a pee and 2 for a poop in the potty only. Then I let her pick out a biggish toy ($30mermaid doll ) that she had to earn stickers for no accidents in her panties for a week. Since then she’s been great! She’s even in panties at night too.

Take her to the toilet every 30 minutes and show her there’s nun to be scared of with the toilet.

1 Like

Stop asking and take her and put her on the potty every 15-20 minutes. And especially after she drinks or eats. That’s what we did with our boys and it worked, my second we struggled with a little more but once he caught on it was easy!

2 Likes

I put my daughter in no undies with a dress and after a few times of her peeing down her leg she caught on. She was about 1.5. My son is a different story since he’s autistic and non verbal. He is 4 and I tried the no pants thing but it doesn’t run down his leg so I’m at a loss

1 Like

My daughter is 4 will be 5 in September and is still potty training.

Use regular underwear, she wont like being wet, more laundry at first but after I tried everything that worked

1 Like

I bought the pretty underwear and put them on and when they went in them I made them clean it up. Not a big deal of it but big girls use the potty and mommies of big girls don’t clean up after potty things anymore, you have to clean it yourself and wash them out after. My daughter got with it in about two days, my son was about four days

1 Like

I had got this idea from someone else. We bought her favorite princess panties and told her that if she peed in them, then she would be peeing on the princess and we don’t want to pee on her. I don’t know why, but for whatever reason that worked. She made a very hard effort to try and not pee on her.

Always have her sit on the toilet. When she wakes up after snack or lunch. Just keep putting her on the toilet. Run the faucet helps too. I had to do this for my nephew. Before she goes to bed put her on the toilet

2 Likes

My twins were day&night time.potty trained by 22 months we did no undies for 3 days then we stayed home for a week I took them every 15 minutes but the git ut down for night time I wouldn’t give them anything to drink 2hr before bed a d made them go before bedtime

1 Like

Following. My daughter is 3.5 and I’m having the same issue

Don’t ask her. Just tell her “let’s go potty” and take her hand and lead her to the bathroom. Put her on the toilet and tell her to try.

Just naked . At home and potty chair in sight

1 Like

Regular underwear. If she has a favorite cartoon, princess, or color buy a set. Get ugly underwear as well. Make a huge deal how ugly they are compared to her favorite. Here is why. I had 2 stubborn girls refused to pee in potty hated to sit still. So every morning we would put on 1 pair of their favorite princess. They loved them. Wanted to keep them on. If they peed their pants princess hid for the day because they were upset that their friend got peed/pooped on. So the rest of the day they had to wear ugly underwear. If they went without pottying in the ugly underwear the princess came back the next day. If not sorry. If at bedtime they still have the princess on they got a small package of m&ms. Their favorite candy. They refused to potty in pants again after 3 days. They got m&ms for 6 months after that they were told that bc they were doing so well they got to graduate and we fill the drawer with princess and they got to go to Walmart and pick out 1 special toy. 75 bucks for a doll house later we had a cake and princess drawer and a small graduation party like the big girls we were

Read Oh Crap Potty Training.

Set a potty timer, I did every hr, but you could do every 30mins. I put a sticker chart on the back of the bathroom door so it was visible and encouraged her to get enough stickers to reach a star, which brings in the prize box I put together for the potty chart and behavior chart, 2 in 1. I ordered a party pack of prize toys off Amazon and gave my kids only one minute to pick a prize, which I felt was very effective because then it encouraged my daughter to use the potty so she could dig in the prize box.
Potty trained in 5 days with the help of daycare.

2 Likes

Potty stickers ! Go get some cheap stickers - every time she pees in the potty she gets to put a sticker on it !!

1 Like

My daughter did this. Nothing worked. I gave her a purse and she had to be responsible for changing her pull-ups. She had to carry it and change it. I did help her wipe after she pooped, but she had to do everything else. She eventually decided it was easier to use the toilet. She was almost 4. I just didn’t sweat it and it worked itself out.

She just may not be ready.
My oldest was trained at 18 months, my second was 4, and my 3rd and 4th were both a little over 3.

1 Like

Don’t ask just put :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Don’t stress. It sounds like she hasn’t developed the nerve to tell her she needs to wee yet. It can be as late as five. What people do who’ve “potty trained” their baby is to put them on the toilet regularly and encourage them to go. Make a diary of when she pees as this can really help. Put her on the toilet or potty every two hours or thirty minutes before she usually pees her pants. You’ll find you’ll get fewer accidents and her body will start waiting until it’s on a toilet or potty. But don’t expect her to say she needs the toilet or to go potty as its not a fair expectation…and be prepared for accidents! If it’s still a problem by five-years old, go see your GP or Paed. Mine is now fifteen and can go for hours without needing the toilet!

1 Like

They all learn eventually. Dont pressure her and dont get mad.
Take her on waking, after meals etc . She’ll get the general idea soon enough.
She may not be feeling the sensation to go yet.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train girls? - Mamas Uncut

I want to know how you went about potty training your little boy lol I’m STRUGGLING.

1 Like

When I potty trained my daughter who is now 4 almost 5, I used sticker charts and m&ms. Put her on her potty every 20 mins and let her pick out her favorite underwear to wear and she was trained fully within 2 weeks. You definitely have to be consistent. Shes been trained for over a year and a half and once they get into a routine with it, toddlers catch on fast :relaxed:

1 Like

Sticker chart! Every time she pees she gets 1 sticker of her choice, poop she gets 2 of her choice to put on the chart!

Just keep showing her where the potty is and putting her on it. Just be patient and she will get it. Praise her when she does use it. Make it fun! But dont get impatient with it, they will do it in their own time.

We got our great granddaughter a potty chair that looks just like a big person toilet and it even flushes lol AND it worked great! I out it in the bathroom so when I went potty she would go potty and flush just like me lol

1 Like

When I started potty training my two year old girl she loved Barbie dolls and such. I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of dolls and different little toys and stuck them in the bathroom. Every time she went potty she got to pick one out. We did this for about a week and then she got the hang of it very very fast. Good luck

Regular underwear n plastic ones over. My daughter hated the feeling of being wet and the pull up/diaper not there to absorb it

Gosh I’m in the same boat. Been trying since my eldest was 2.5 and she’s 3.5 now.
Just finally started going poop on the toilet.

Being consistent. Some girls are easy to potty train. Mine wasn’t. Something just “clicks” at the right time. But always do rewards. Go shopping for favorite underwear. Help her feel special and proud of herself.

1 Like

You tube has some potty videos animated. It helped me with my grand daughter. Reward her as well. Every time

I let mine run around naked for 3 days. She basically potty trained herself.

2 Likes

I did a sticker chart. Plus every time she went I would let her have her favorite snack which was fruit loops. I would only give it to her when she used the potty. Also, I let her pick out something she wanted as an incentive. I told her she could have it when she did not need diapers anymore. She was 2 at the time. It worked for us.

We did the no diaper or pull up on just undies and it takes three days. You make a spot in the house where you’ll be at for 3 days put the potty in the spot. We did the living room. Everything revolves around the spot. Eat, play, potty. At the end of the day you can put a pull-up on her for bedtime. Wake up same thing. My daughter did it in three days… I tried the same for my son… not so much luck lol.

Started at 6 months old… they needed poos u cld tell cos most little ones faces go red. So put them on a potty for poos.
By 8 months they pointed at potty and wld randomly crawl to it.
By 12 month both used potty for wees snd poo had a few accidents. By 14 months in knickers.
My second one was 15 months when totally dry .
Watch for signs learn when they need to go fidgting touching red faces . Say potty time give a clap and praise when they do it. If they miss and wet themselves say oh no did you miss potty whoops. Postive reinforcement and determination.
But always remember every child is different no two ways work with all.
Its so important to get them trained as young as possible.

Wldnt know with boys only have girls.

1 Like

Everytime you go to do something with her or for her go to the potty first. When she wants a banana say ok let’s go potty then we’ll get one. She wants a popsicle ok let’s go potty then we’ll get a popsicle. Wants to play outside ok let’s go potty first. Wants to play with babies after we picked up and put away the last toys ok let’s go potty then we can play with the baby dolls. Have her sit on her potty chair and you sit on big potty even if you don’t have to go. Be very exaggerated happy excited about when she goes potty clap your hands say WOW you did it!!! Good job ect type things make it exciting :grinning: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What I did personally was let her walk around without her pamper, it was just her and I at the time, and I’d take her to the bathroom every 10 to 15 minutes depending on if she drank anything or not. She caught on quick and it was pretty much easy from there. I hope you find something that fits you both.

1 Like

She just may not be ready , every kid is different

1 Like

I used the potty watch I bought off of Amazon and we made a sticker chart .

We did a sticker sheet and a piece of candy for every go on the potty, it took 3 days and she was good to go.

Honestly didn’t find any difference. Both got sat on the toilet at changing time from around 8 months…not to train but if they performed they got the praise and appropriate words. By the time they were ready to train it was fairly easy…they knew what it was about…just a matter of control after that.
Ignore accidents…praise success. They all catch on eventually

1 Like

Potty watch on Amazon makes it super fun

I did the commando option. We bought a potty that looks exactly like a regular toilet. We had it in the living room since that was where we were most of the time. First time she did pee on herself. I believe she was a little embarrassed. But after that she began using the potty. Same for #2. 1 accident and then the potty. We did this inside for several weeks. Then began learning about panties. Same happened, she peed in them. Then realized it wasn’t like a diaper. So she began telling me so I could help her pull them down. Eventually she was able to pull them down herself and go. Just needed help pulling them back up. We would only wear pull ups when we went places. But then she began telling us while we were out she had to go. Soon as she did that we dropped the pulls ups for panties while out. I always bring extra clothes though just in case. So far no accidents out in public and none at home anymore. So we slowly built up to it. She now has a booster on the regular toilet with a step stool.

I didnt want to but we ultimately ended up pulling the potty out of the bathroom​:woman_facepalming:t4::weary: dad thought it was a good idea, I did not.

It worked.:joy:
Bc otherwise we were living in the bathroom and she was defiant and would go to sleep sitting there :roll_eyes::unamused:

Wait until she is ready. No matter what you do, if she’s not ready she will not train. And pushing her to do it will make her not want to. Relax and let her do this at her own pace. Ask her if she wants to use the potty, if she does, great. If not don’t make a big deal about it.

She may not be ready but I suggest the book

Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right.

I went to my son’s 2.5 yr check up and the doctor was like “is he showing any readiness to potty train?” and I was able to say “he is already trained.”’

3 Likes

My daughter has just turned two (yesterday) I try and put her on the potty but she screams yet most of the time she says wee wee and poop.

Maybe try signing it? She may not be able to express it so if she signs you will know when she needs to go.

So following for advise also xx

I just kept putting her on the toilet if she had to go or not… do that for a few days. Also get really excited when she does do it. It will make her want to do it again.

Every child is different. I used to take them to the bathroom all the time and clap and say “yay” when they’d use it. That was over 20 years ago. My granddaughter used a toddler potty to learn how.

My son was the hard one for us, but the only thing that ended up working was candy lol. He had a #1 bucket (filled with Hershey kisses) and a #2 bucket, filled with gummy pizzas and Reese cups. The most important part of it, he got a single kiss, no matter if he didn’t go or not, if he tried he got one. If he went pee he got two, if he went poop, he got something out of the #2 bucket. Literally a month later he was golden after years of fighting. And then slowly “forget” the snacks, if he remembers gave him one, if he didn’t, we just moved on.

Put her in underpants not diapers it worked for me many years ago put her in pants also they don’t like being wet

When she shows Readiness or when she’s ready can’t force it on her not saying you are but when she’s ready or showing signs she will let you know I’m going without a diaper that’s a hitter mess most of my kids it was a mess and didn’t work

The heck are these “signs” y’all say that shows you they are ready to potty train v

She has to be ready . My 3 and a half year old just decided 2 weeks ago she was ready . Her pediatrician encouraged me not to rush her because that can cause her to hold it and cause issues .

If she isn’t ready it will make it a lot harder and longer. Patients is the key. Wait till she can tell u she is ready

Go with her. You sit and go
Tell her to listen then after you go, praise yourself and say “you turn” and yes keep doing it every 30 minutes. It worked with all 3 of mine

I had girl /boy twins and she was so easy.

Following for my 2.5 year old girl

My 4 year old decided she wanted to go just before her birthday she use the potty , and at kinder she uses the toilet :toilet:

No bottoms. Sticker chart. Move potty to room occupied by her. Harassment. Over excitement when she goes in potty.

I put the potty where ever my daughter was, let her run naked so it was easier for her and 3 days she was potty trained.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to potty train girls? - Mamas Uncut

My son was a late boomer aswell! I pretty much did what nichole recommended to be honest! Or what u could do alongside is time in between is time the toilet or take her every hour to sit onit eventually she will get the hint that’s what you expect? Does your child go day care? As they helped a lot, my son mainly learnt from watching others! No real miracle just gotta be honest but just gotta give it a go! X

Bribery is the only way. (Not as bad as it sounds lol)
Take her out to choose her own big girl knickers. And even her own potty if she really won’t use the toilet yet.
Reward chart, tell her if she gets 10 stars for 10 toilets (show her the space on the chart) she gets something small.
If she does 20 then it’s something big.
Don’t take stars away for not going on potty, just don’t add one.

2 Likes

I toilet trained my daughter at 3 and resorted to buying mini gifts (lip balms, bows, ‘pretties’) and wrapped them individually, she had to go to the potty and do a 1 or 2 and then she got to pick a present. That worked like a charm and she was toilet trained. Im now trying the same thing with my son who is now 3 and a half he knows how to go to the toilet but is a bit slack however loves presents so I bought the little paw patrol mashems and mini toys and wrapped them up so he try’s to go to the toilet constantly. It really does work but they have to do something on the toilet in order to pick a gift and once the gift bag is empty hopefully they’ve worked out the toileting part. Goodluck! Its honestly one of the hardest parts of parenting :joy: well for me anyway

My daughter is 3.5. She was stubborn. No diapers or pull ups. Regular undies. And have her sit on the potty every 15-20 minutes. Eventually she will get the idea of having to go potty. I’ve been doing this with mine and she’s down to maximum of 3 accidents through out the whole day. Sometimes no accidents

15 Likes

My 3rd kiddo was the same way, she is whip smart and it was clear she understood what and how to do it and knew when she needed to go, but she just WOULD. NOT. DO. IT. I finally decided to relieve all of us from the stress it was causing, and just wait for her to decide she was ready and a few months after she turned 4 she finally decided she was ready and I couldn’t believe how easy it was, and how few accidents she had (pretty much all at nighttime). My older two pretty much potty trained themselves with no accidents by the time they were 2, so it was hard for me to not try and force the issue with the other one because I felt like she should have been done with it, but they’re each their own person and do things at very different rates and we just have to be willing to understand and support them.

9 Likes

I saw on fb somewhere that someone told their child that the “potty monster” was hungry and they needed to feed it. I used it with my daughter and it worked. She’s been potty trained for a yr now and tell her little sister to feed the potty monster now. It may work for you too.

9 Likes

Let her go without diapers in underwear for 3 days have her drink a lot of juice and make her sit on the potty every 15 minutes. Don’t ask her if she needs to go have her sit down the potty

26 Likes

My daughter just refused to use the potty until about 4. She had a full understanding of it and knew she was supposed to. We tried all the tricks, training panties, rewards, taking her every hour. The pediatrician told me to leave her alone. He said she was highly intelligent and would do it when she was ready, so we backed off and she started going on her own around 4 and asked for panties.

10 Likes

I potty trained all my kids at the age of 2. All children are different. They cooperate more when they feel ready. I tried to make things fun. I’d use the potty with them. Accidents will happen. I encouraged them & kind of hyped them up. :blush: They know when they are ready :white_heart:

4 Likes

My in-laws pushed and pushed for me to have my daughter potty trained by 2, so man I tried! Toilet time every 20 minutes, potty in front of the tv during naked time, treats, charts, you name it! It wasn’t until I threw in the towel and let her decide when she was ready that she started using the toilet. She was close to four and once she went in the potty she never turned back.

1 Like

Make it fun. Take her to store and have her pick out big girl undies. Get a jar of skittles and use it as a reward system when she goes. Get a jar for change and when she goes potty she can put money in a jar for a special toy for her.

I was lucky both of my girls were potty trained at at 18 months no help from me. I was a working mom and my dad worked a month on a month off and would keep my girls in his month off. He got fed up with men’s restrooms not having an area to change them so he potty trained them for me. This was 25 years ago and sadly male restrooms have still not caught up.

29 Likes

Kids are all different and are ready for this at different times. When I worked pediatrics, I’d say they most commonly mastered this between ages four and five, but some were earlier and some considerable older. I’d say keep being encouraging, lots of praise when she does start getting it right, and rewards. Encouragement and reassurance when she doesn’t. If they feel embarrassed or ashamed it can delay the process further.

1 Like

I think if she’s not ready don’t force her. Then it will take longer. Wait till pull ups are dry for a few days (unless you don’t mind doing the laundry) then go from there.

5 Likes

Daniel Tiger’s potty song saved us. It helped my daughter to remember all the steps to do like flush and wash. Another mom recommended it to us and I swear it worked so fast.

2 Likes

I started to potty train my daughter when she was around 3 and it took me up until recently (she’s 5 now) to get her completely potty trained and in big girl panties. The only thing I can say is be patient and kind and understanding. The first step was peeing in the potty, then pooping was a bit harder but it got done but she wanted to stay in pull ups until about 2 months ago. So it was a process but I never forced her just encouraged and rewarded. She’s very proud of herself now.

Patients and a potty book my nephew was the same way. We read it to him everytime he went to potty he thought the little boy in the story was him.

Oh crap! potty book. My friends swear by it. Me personally, I followed my kid’s lead. When she was ready, she went with no accidents.

16 Likes

Best advice my neighbor gave me when my kids were little “they won’t go to kindergarten in diapers.” She had raised 8 of her own kids and fostered over 30. I didn’t stress about it and when the kids decided they were ready, they did it in a weekend. Just relax, she’ll get there.

9 Likes

My daughters obsessed with paw patrol… she was about 18 months when she was fully potty trained. I bought her some paw patrol panties and told her she couldn’t pee on the pups or they’d be super sad… worked like a charm. She’s almost 3 now and since being potty trained she may have had a total of 3 bedtime accidents… I was very impressed how easily she caught on. I took her to the bathroom every hour and sat her on the potty whether she said she needed to go or not. She got a little snack (couple smarties) each time she peed.

20 Likes

I agree with the let her lead comments. My daughter was the exact same. A few months before she turned 4 she just decided it was time and she’s been amazing. She’s only wet the bed once too because I forgot to have her go to the bathroom before bed.

2 Likes

With my oldest it only took us one weekend for her to be potty trained, and she got to pick out the underwear she liked. Maybe doing that will entice her to actually use the toilet?

As for my youngest, it’s the fight of my life. This kid is going to kindergarten in diapers, I swear.:see_no_evil::joy:

12 Likes