How to put eye drops in a childs eyes?

Hello. I am looking for advice and/or creative ideas on how to get eye drops into my 4 year old’s eyes. We just got back from Urgent care and was told my son has pink eye, an outer ear infection in both ears along with swollen tonsils and possible strep The antibiotics I can sneak in his drinks but the eye drops seem impossible. He has NEVER had to put anything in his eyes before and he is completely unwilling. The only thing I can think of is to get help holding him down, somehow hold his eye open, and get em in his eye as fast as possible. But if anyone has any ideas to where I wouldn’t have to do that, pleasssseeee let me know. Thank you.

16 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/how-to-put-eye-drops-in-a-childs-eyes/18917

I would tell him close your eyes.put a drop on inside by nose.Then tell him don’t open.He will then drop goes in.

4 Likes

Yes hold open the eyelids as best you can have help with holding them down and put the drops in the inner corner of the eye or if you can get them under the eyelid that works better but they are more likely to s p i l l out or or have a reaction to naturally blink and if they do that just put them in the corner of the eye in my experience that worked for us anyway

A Mom here with lots of ears/eye problems. No need to do it with their eyes open. Have your child lay across you with their eyes closed. Have their eyes CLOSED and put drops in the corners of their eyes closes to their nose. It will run into his eyes on its own. Mission accomplished!

9 Likes

If you pull down the lower lid/ lower skin you have that little pocket. Drop the drops into the pocket and then get him to blink. It then distributes the drops over the eye. I do my drops this way.

1 Like

Try when he is asleep have it all ready then quickly open eye with fingers pop drops in corner but dont fuss

3 Likes

Honestly that’s exactly what you have to do! The trick is give them a little bit of play time or preferred toy item to hold 1st, put on their fav tv show or movie while parallel to them on the floor/ carpet, have the drops and treat (x2) already in your pocket/ stashed under the couch (wherever is hidden from them cause they know what’s coming if they see it, especially if you have to get up to get it) casual talk about why they had to go to the dr. And let them know the dr. And you want them to get better and sometime when kids/ people or body parts are sick they need medicine to help them feel better (NEVER LIE IF THEY ASK IF IT WILL HURT, just be honest yes but will feel better later) commercial break give them treat #1, tickle break, then hold their arms and legs with you legs leaving your hands available to admin drops, drops cap already undone, administer drops quick, then proceed with treat #2 and cuddles.

2 Likes

I always put them on the corners then tilt the opposite way. Now cream is different. I put it on the lower lid. My hubby burnt his eyes. I learned to do it in a dark room

1 Like

Wait til he’s sleeping

1 Like

Lay down with eyes closed, drops in inner corners and get them to blink.

3 Likes

Seeing you drop it on there is the worst just put your finger tip below his eye and pull down the lower lid drop it on there that way you dont anticipate it falling on ur eye

I’ve always been super honest and reasoned with my kids… like, look… your eyes are going to hurt more and more and cause damage if we don’t do this quick couple of drops a few times a day… the drops are going to make your eyes feel better shortly! I’ve always explained things like this to them by saying we all grow up and today you have to make a big kid choice and be brave!

6 Likes

They should always give children cream not drops a lot easier I think

Let him lay down & semi close his eyes, drop it by this nose so it runs into his eyes. If that won’t work, have fun holding him down. :pensive:

1 Like

Have him close his eyes lay head back put drop on inner corner and tell him to blink

Close eyes, drop in to the very inner corner like others have said. Too hard to do it with open eyes and little kids

I think there’s an ointment. (for future). I found that easier than drops

Do ur when ur child is asleep

My mom used to have me close my eyes, she would put the drops in the corner of my eye then I would open them and blink (all while laying on my back). Seemed to work

3 Likes

My son and daughter caught pink eye at their school last week and it was definitely a challenge trying to put eye drops in their eyes! But I had my fiance hold them down while I opened the eye and quickly put the drops in! I felt awful having to hold them down, but we tried explaining why they needed them and that it would help them feel better, and after a few times our son was alot better about getting the drops, but our daughter FREAKED out EVERYTIME and kept saying it hurt her eyes, but we just believe she didn’t like the feeling of it since they never had eye drops before! Good luck momma but I’d definitely suggest having someone help holding him, but you can always try explaining the situation first, but it wasn’t any help with us and I just kept explaining why daddy had to hold her down to get the drops in because she was fighting us like crazy!!

1 Like

Lay him on his back and close his eyes drop drop on inside corner near nose and then have Him open his eyes. It will run into the eye when he opens them.

Hold them down. Your not being mean or hurting then. I have a 1 year old and a 8 month old and that’s the only way we could do it. My 1 year old finally got used to it and realized it didn’t hurt & lwt us do it after a couple days.

1 Like

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Have someone else help you if you have to. Bribe him with something he wants if he let’s you do the drops with no fighting after the drops are done he gets the thing.

Do it in the corner with eye closed. It’ll roll in. I’m an optometric tech.

3 Likes

I was am ophthalmology tech for years. I always had the kids (and adults who hated drops) close their eyes and put it in the corner and have them blink a few times. Works great!

Make it kinda fun… my daughter when she was younger and she had found out her iron was low and had to give her vitamin drops (note I know thos isn’t the same as eye drops) well she liked playing doctor. So when it was time for the drops, I would tell her, wanna play doctor, she would get all excited. I would let her go first to be the doctor, let her do her check up and she would give me smarties for my medicine. Then I would do my turn and I would tell her she has to take 2 different kinds of medicine. One was the drops and the other one was the smarties…

Have him close eyes put in corner and with him blinking it will get in or show him it doesn’t hurt him by getting visine for yourself and show him that’s what worked for mine

Put on top of eyelashes than when you child opens their eye it will roll right in

I bribed my kids. But my 13 year old has allergies bad so at 2 is when he started drops and after talking to him and explaining to him that we have to do it to make him better he let me. I tilted his head back held his eye open and dropped them in. After the first time he would come to me and tell me he needed solution because his eyes itched. If you have to bribe him with a peice of candy if not then you gotta do what you gotta do and hold him down. But I was also told if they closed their eyes then placed the drops on the edge of the eyelid and have them open and close their eyes it goes in.

ive had to hold my kids down with help or sit on them. i said if u cooperate i wouldnt have to sit on u

Oh that’s a tough one. Make sure you put them in the corner of the eyes…the eye lid will spread them out.

If you need to hold him down and you’re by yourself, sit on the floor with your legs streched out, have the child lay on their back between your legs with their head towards your body. Use your thighs to hold their head still and put their arms under your legs and your feet hooked over their legs. They will be pretty much immobile and your hands are free to administer meds.

1 Like

Do it while he is sleeping.

Like this. My son is 7 and too long for me to get his legs under mine

2 Likes

I’ve worked in Daycare 30 plus yrs 2 kids of my own…on changing table I lay them down and try to b quick as possible…holding their hands maybe sing or sing what your doing…then super quick either pull down gently on eye or up…boom drop it then other one super fast…

Do it with them laying on the floor feet towards the TV with a show they like on. Now here the key sit above their head as to not be in the sight path, hold upper eyelid quickly get drops in. Every time it will get easier as they realize the drops wont harm them.

What I did when my kids was little was put kids in between my legs with arms pinned under my legs and used my thighs to keep head straight and was able to hold eye open with one hand while I squeeze drops in with other had. I did the same when I had to suction my kids nose out

Have him lay down and close his eyes. Put it in the corner of the eye toward the nose. Then have him blink. It should go right in.

4 Likes

Just pop them on both eyes even if they’re closed, he will rub them in, wash his hands afterwards. The next day ask him to blink it away a few times. Still works a treat every time for us and then there’s no trauma or anxiety associated with eye care, or physically restraining your child which I just couldn’t do. After a day or two it should be easier because it’s calm and easier for the next time they get it :woman_shrugging:t2: It still enters the eye & clears the infection up quickly for us.

While they sleep I go in the corner by nose and let the eyelids move it

pull down lower lid, instill a drop in lower lid

I tell my kids they can either let me do it or I will hold them down :woman_shrugging: they let me do it. One is 4 and one is 6. I also don’t drag it out nor do I warn them before. I go get the eye drops and say it’s time to do your eye drops. They cry “I don’t want eye drops” I say “I know but it’s so you feel better so we have to do it and I would much rather you just lay down than me force you to” I will also add in a bribe like some candy. Then I count to 3 (they better be laying down by 3 or I will hold them down) and 99% of the time they lay down and let me do it. I do both eyes FAST! Big hugs and a piece of candy after!!! I also tell them it will not hurt. Just feel funny like when your eyes are open in the pool. Don’t make it a huge deal. Just make it a thing that has to be done. Like brushing teeth.

2 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 19385 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://jobsgalexy435.netlify.app/

When they’re asleep or if they’re ok with keeping their eyes closed. U just put a drop (or what ever amount the dr says ) on their closed eye where the eye lash is. And it’ll be distributed

Place the drops in the inner corners of the eyes. Have them squeeze their eyes shut then place the drops. Have them open and blink. This way they do not see it coming.

3 Likes

Sometimes the bigger the deal you make it the bigger they freak out. You’re not supposed to force their eye open. Lay him down. Put it in the corner where tears fall out and when they open their eye it will fall in. My daughter and I both just got over double pinkeye and those drops made our eyes so itchy. It did help but they were so itchy so be prepared for that. Wet cold washcloth on the eyes helped so much

1 Like

I gave my kids a rag and told them once meds are in squeeze their eye tight and encourage to squeeze squeeze squeeze and then let them hold the rag on their eye and them wipe away tears or the drops the runs out it took at of tries , the rag would be warm and damp. Communication helps like what your going to do and how they are going to help

I hope you find something better at 100% had to go with the pinning my kid down and forcing them in his eyes method. He wouldn’t lay down and let me put them in while they were closed it was just a fight at the end of the day you have to do what your child needs even if they hate it 🥴

I’m just gonna say my 25 yo I’d still traumatized from being held down for this exact reason.

We had to had our 2 year old down. Those drops burn

Corner of eye when they open it will go in.

1 Like

Talk him through it. He will have to learn some day. The best advice I was ever given was to have them lay down, close their eyes and then drop the drop of medicine into the corner of their eye and have them blink it will go into his eye as he blinks.

Put it in the corner. Once he opens his eyes it’ll go in. Hell probably rub them after so make sure you wash the little hands.

Sit him on the floor between your knees. Hold him firmly between your thighs . Tip his head back and speak to him. He’ll look up at you…pop in the drops.
Dont lie to him. Let him know its meds and he has to have it done. It may nip so don’t tell him it won’t. Always ready with his favourite treat once its over

2 Likes

Let’s play a game! And give him a prize… Maybe try when he is sleep…I do the outer corner.

1 Like

My pediatrician told me to have them lie on their back, close their eyes. Drop the eye drop into the corner of the eye and tell them to open their eyes. It distributes the drops perfectly.

6 Likes

Talk with him. Let him know it’s eye medicine and we all do it. My son hates meds esp eye medicine I have him lay down and tell him think of something u love and while is eyes are open after he blinks I get a drop in his eye

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info. https://amazingjobs798.netlify.app/

1 Like

What i did with my 4 year old was had them lay their head on my lap on their side and have them like watch TV or something and put it on the side

Wait until he is sound asleep ,do it then

1 Like

Bribe him with his favorite candy.

Drop in the inner corner of their eyes, eyes closed and lying down. When they open their eyes it will go in.

1 Like

Bribe him! If he’s brave he can have candy or whatever motivated him.

Lay on floor in middle of room have him look at corner of room . Left for. Left eye and right for right eye. This way he isn’t focused on eye drop . Drop into coner by nose .

1 Like

Try the corner of the eye and then reward them afterwards for doing so good! My son hates water in his face let alone his eyes

Try when he falls asleep