How to stop bed wetting?

My step son keeps peeing the bed. He is almost 9 years old. I’m at a loss as what to do. When he goes to the bathroom he always comes out smelling like poop. I’ve talked to him and his father over this. I feel like it is not my responsibility to continue trying to straightening this out, but I don’t want to see the kid walking around smelling like poop and pee. His father claims he has talked to him about it, but I’m not sure what to do because he continues to do it. He doesn’t do this as his moms from the sounds of it, but I’m not even sure there because she has him staying at a different place from day to day . I’m to the point where I think diapers are the only option. Please help because I can’t keep doing this. I have a child of my own I need to raise, who needs to be taught these things and I feel like my 9 year old step son is equivalent to teaching my almost 1 year old son…

7 Likes

Not your responsibility?
You have a child of your own?

HE IS YOUR CHILD

12 Likes

When you become a TRUE step parent, that child is yours too and should be treated as such. I don’t have any advice as far as helping the situation but maybe he needs some therapy if what you’re saying about his mom is true? Maybe your exact attitude isn’t helping his situation at all?

12 Likes

It could be a medical condition I would talk to his doctor my nephew and niece went through the same thing and we thought it was just wondering it no it’s actually a misfiring in their brain they had to be on medication to correct it

3 Likes

Uhm he’s your child. Doesn’t matter if he came out of you or not. You got with a man who had a child, the responsibility is there. He might need help from a doctor. He might need a super positive person in his life that will be there. Start by doing longer shower/bath times at night. Get flushable wet wipes, maybe the toilet paper is irritating his skin. There’s so many possibilities but you have to care and be a positive for him. That’s what parents do.

8 Likes

If a child acts out or something is “off” pay attention to their surroundings…

5 Likes

This sounds like a medical issue

2 Likes

I knew of a child that was being molested and this child would poop in her clothes so people wouldn’t get close… not saying that this is the case but you never know

5 Likes

You are yet another negative person in this poor child’s life. No wonder he’s having issues…

Has he been sexually abused? Because those kids have awful toilet & hygiene issues sometimes in the HOPES that SOMEONE will pay attention…

4 Likes

I dont think punishing or yelling at him or being rude about it is going to help…he could simply have a uti or something wrong with his bladder…I would stay calm and punishing him could only make things worse…some children wet the bed because of anxiety of split house holds or something mentally or medically is wrong…

3 Likes

First of all, he IS and should be viewed by you, as your child…

4 Likes

He may have a medical condition called encopresis. It’s where he doesn’t realize he’s doing it till it’s done. Set aside extra time in the morning and make him sit on the pot for at least five minutes. My child’s dr wrote a note for me to take to the school for them to send her to restroom around 10 a.m for at least five minutes and again after lunch and again around two. We also resorted to pull ups n she had a stash at nurses office if she needed one.

1 Like

Hmmm “the kid” “not my responsibility” you knew you married someone with a child so woman up and handle it and help him or leave. I wouldn’t want you helping raise my kid take him to the dr to rule anything out do not decide on your own to put a 9 year old in diapers that’s insane

9 Likes

Talk to him as a mother, treat him as your son! Do what you would for your son. Good grief. You knew the man had a child. Love the dad, love his child.

4 Likes

You have a lot to learn about 9 years olds lady.

2 Likes

Yes i have a grand child that wet the bed all the time i really think it is he simply does want to get up sleeps to hard after he gets to sleep and drinks to much before bed he says it gets to cold but i think it’s he can’t wake up beacause he is so hyperactive and when he gets to sleep he is out. Mom and dad needs to wake him up at night train him

I also agree with Kristie Miller my grand son does this beacause his pee smells bad.

Talk to your boyfriend or husband and ask about underlying issues. Something is going on for him to do those things. My moms ex has a grandson that has a lot wrong with him. He tinkles a little in his underwear but wont wipe or shower. My mom also bought wet wipes but he used them instead of showering. My mom couldnt handle him because of how bad he was. He is 16 gonna be 17 in April and he is still like that even after my mom and his gpa split.

Work with not against, this is your responsibility as a parent and role model. This child needs your support for as long as it takes, done with patience and love. Do whatever it takes from waterproof sheets to taking to a professional. Don’t make the child feel bad as I’m sure he already does not like the situation.

1 Like

Take him to a doctor. Could be medical condition. Poor kid.

2 Likes

Maybe try baby wipes for his poops, he may not be checking to make sure the toilet paper is clean after wiping before he leaves restroom. Bed wetting can be from emotional, physical abuse and or anxiety. Side note I hope you learn to be a better step parent because if I was his daddy I’d be telling you get to stepping with the way you refer to that poor boy.

3 Likes

Could be abuse happening … one little girl we knew was being beat up by a older caregiver when she would pooh herself. She eventually started holding it in causing other issues. Maybe some councelling will help find out what’s going on

1 Like

Check him for diabetes. My son was wetting the bed every night. He would wet his bed and then our bed. Rule out things before you get angry with him.

1 Like

TAKE.HIM.TO.THE.DOCTORS.they’re trained to know how to handle it and ask the child the right questions.

Take him to a doctor.

First of all, he IS your child. You married his dad, he was part of the deal. Second, work with him, not against him. He’s a child, something could be going on. You said mom has him staying at different places day to day, maybe that’s a cause. Or could be medical. I wet the bed when I was younger and needed to take medicine to control it. My daughter is 7, almost 8 and still wets the bed. She has an appointment with a urologist to see if something is going on. Another thing, never shame him. I’m sure he feels bad about doing it. I also cannot believe the way you refer to him. I have two (step) son’s and I couldn’t imagine not taking care of them just because they’re not “mine.” I hope you’re more compassionate with him than you sound writing this post.

Maybe you shouldn’t be in his life if you’re only seeing him as a problem :woman_shrugging:t2:

This kid may be acting this way cause its the only way to get attention… If you dont wanna help then get a divorce, you married his father so step up and be the mother figure if his own mother isnt being one. And highly doubt hes doing it at 1 place and not the other… Does he have any delays? Is he stressed about anything? Maybe his dad needs to go in the bathroom and give him pointers on wiping… Maybe get him flushable wipes? Kids give up easily, make it easier for him not harder. Also my son stopped wetting the bed at 10 and its also a fact that the brain and bladder in boys also takes longer to communicate/mature when boys are growing, my son took medicine that helped him not pee in the middle of the night and mature