How to wean from breastfeeding?

Looking for advice from other breastfeeding mommies. I’m currently still nursing a 14 month old. While I love the bond and the fact that he loves his milk. I’m searching for ways to stop as fast and smoothly as possible. My first reason is because it’s just been taken a toll on my mental health recently. My second reason is because I have a painful lump in my left boob (which is his favorite side) and while nursing doesn’t cause it to much pain he often faceplants right on to the lump or puts a lot of pressure on it which causes pain to last for hours and sometimes days. Please no bashing comments I feel bad about wanting and needing to stop as it is because I never even thought I’d make it to the year goal.

1 Like

Could you Express and give him a bottle of it instead? And then slowly start mixing it with cows milk? Should avoid mastitis doing it gradually.

1 Like

Just cut out one feeding (from morn and night to just night) and eventually my little who is the same age was fine. We cuddle and I offer her a sippy of water instead. She’s been fine.

Having a lump in your breast sounds like mastitis. Ecspecially if its that painful. Maybe you can pump and give it to him for a week or two and then slowly replace it with cows milk

1 Like

Boiled . But cold cabbage leaves for your breast. We had a wedding party for my little one.

1 Like

Try to cut everyday one feed until you arrive to the one feed before nap time and one before sleeping time. Offer him in the day snacks and meals and take his attention away to something else. I dont know how much your son feeds but my son at 18 months nursed 1 time before his nap and 350 times at night, he never took bottle or a pacifier so i had to stop cold turkey and drove him with the car so he could sleep because he didnt know how to sleep without nursing. When he woke up in the night i would carry him and sing for him until he falls back asleep. 1 hard week but that was the only way🤷🏻‍♀️

Start giving him a sippy cup. Would not start with a bottle at that age at all. Will check be another hard habit to break. He’s plenty enough to have milk and juice out of a sippy cup

1 Like

First time breastfeeder here, my breastfed toddler is 18 months old. It is in everyone’s best interest that you wean slowly - it reduces the risk of mastitis, allows your child to adjust emotionally and there is a hormonal change that happens as your wean and doing it too quickly can cause stronger issues with postweaning depression (it’s a thing, Google it).

Believe it or not, night weaning will reduce the day feedings and increase his interest in food (I don’t know about you, but my baby wasn’t very interested in food before I started night weaning.) I started night weaning about 2 weeks ago, thankfully my girl also takes a paci so I just do her bedtime nurse, then tell her “that’s all, no milk until Mr Sun wakes up”. When she woke in the night, I would offer her paci and cuddles. She woke about 4x a night at first, fussed just a tad bit for about half of the wakings and I would snuggle her and tell her what a big girl she was. The other half, she would roll over without the paci and snuggle her Daddy. The longer we did it, the less she woke, the less times she fussed, the less times she even wanted the paci. Her day feedings simplified to only before and after naps and bedtimes and she has started eating more solids! Last night, she didn’t wake at all.

All of that alone has been a huge weight off for me. We still have lots of closeness, but she’s learning other interests. That’s my 2 cents. Good luck with your journey!

1 Like

If you’ve been nursing this long you’ve done great, I feed 5 for an average of at least a year with each and I would just start substituting cups of juice, milk, or water with feedings a little more each day or offer snacks until you’re done. It shouldn’t take too long for this since at this she you shouldn’t be feeding too often now with him eating solid foods.

2 Likes

Get on Amazon and get cabo cream it helps dry you out, also start cutting out one feeding a week.

1 Like