How to wean from cows milk?

i want to know how i can get my nearly 2year old off cows milk shes havin 2 or 3 bottles a night?

9 Likes

Change it to water & she will soon get fed up

1 Like

Start by watering the milk down and soon she won’t want it any more

2 Likes

I have tried this she just high pitch screams the place down

I changed my daughters milk to water and she still woke up at night…she’s almost 2 now and sleeps all night.

1 Like

Throw the bottles away

8 Likes

Just don’t give her the bottle at night. Learned the hard way how bad it is for them… Deteriorates the enamel on their teeth…

2 Likes

Try feed her a good snack before bed.

Slowly mix in water and less milk until it’s all water

2 Likes

Provide well balanced meals and snacks so you know your child is being nourished properly then just stop any unwanted behaviors . My heart goes out to you food can be as dangerous as a drug so teach baby healthy habits love in Christ

3 Likes

Give her water only in bottles especially at night

1 Like

Never mix water in with whole milk as it takes away most of the nutrients. You NEED to just throw out the bottles completely in the garbage and DO NOT give in… She should have been OFF bottles by 12months

8 Likes

Why do you need to stop giving cows milk? Or is it just where she drinks so much before bed in a bottle?

2 Likes

I would speak to a pediatrician. I was told by two they don’t need to be off milk all together BUT it shouldn’t be whole milk. My pediatrician told me 8-16oz max a day of 2% milk. Definitely throw out the bottles though.

1 Like

My kid is 5 and she still wants hot milk at bedtime :weary:

I have been weaning my son down… I stopped giving it to him and only gave water when he woke up… he does t wake up anymore but he still gets one cup of milk at bedtime

1 Like

Maybe peanut butter or a hearty snack at bedtime, and water down the milk gradually until it’s just water.

-Gina :ribbon:

2 Likes

I’m having that problem too! I started taking the bottle away for naps and so far that’s been really good. For bed time I’ve been slowly watering the milk down.

1 Like

Mine doesn’t take a bottle to bed but I swear he drinks more milk than a grown man . :confused:

2 Likes

Only offer water bottles

1 Like

Watch for cavities…yes even on one that young

2 Likes

My son get a cup in the morning and middle of the day and a night before bed . And sometime I give him a second cup at night . But he would just drink and drink if I kept giving him milk . So I just give him water after he is in bed now . No issue . If he is thirsty he drinks some if not he dont . Other than drink 3-4 cups of milk a night .
He is almost 2 not on a bottle but a sippy cup

I gave water in bottles milk at night is bad for teeth

Your kid should drink 24 ounces of milk or more per day …

3 Likes

Milk at bedtime will give her bottle teeth. I give my almost 2 year old only water at night, in a sippy.

2 Likes

Replace it with something eles

THROW THE BOTTLES AWAY. her having milk is fine but throw the bottles away and brush her teeth before bed. Give a sippy with water if she gets thirsty in the night

3 Likes

wow, just take it of them, offer more food and drinks in a cup during the day, and only water in a bottle

1 Like

Start with throwing away the bottle and replace it with a sippy cup and having cow’s milk there’s nothing wrong with that some people say it’s not necessary but you have to supplement what you would get from cow’s milk with other food. She may be waking up throughout the night cuz she’s hungry maybe give her a snack before bed and just have water in a sippy cup

1 Like

the way i did it was i stopped buying milk and told my daughter i cant do anything. milk bottle and milk are all gone. lol. it worked😅

1 Like

Had the same problem . I just started to fill the bottle half full and once it was gone it was gone, it w . It was long nights but I was sick of going threw bags of milk in a day . . Then we had to just take the bottle away because they would just lay it on the bed and sleep on their side and would get pissed off because we wouldn’t get up and prop the bottle . They would be litterly sucking air . It was annoying . Long night but it had to be done

She’s supposedto be on cows milk at 2 lmao

My son drinks regulars milk , a cup ln mornings… a chocolate milk, a cup or 2 at nights bedore bed. Hes 5

My daughter is 20 months drinking milk out of a cup with a weighted straw, so she gets only so much through the day (18oz or so). At night I put water in it. it doesn’t leak or anything so she takes it to bed and when she is thirsty she drinks that.

I just threw out the bottle and forced her to take a sippy with water in it at night. She didn’t like it at first but she adapted. My daughter got cavities from the cow milk and it made me super upset I didn’t take her bottle sooner. Don’t give in when your child cries for a baba. It’s for their own good.

I cold turkied the bottle at one. Replaced with a hard spouted sippy and he could still lay back and drink it “like a bottle”. I got lucky, it was easy. After that he preferred straw cups for sippys and would also drink out of a regular cup with supervision. I’ve only offered water and milk. He’s 3 now and I’ve never limited his milk. Didn’t know it was a thing?? But no cavities ever… I feel the straw cups were helpful with that, no juice (just recently starting giving him some watered down juice) and I never put him to bed with anything to drink (only water if you do).